PDA

View Full Version : .300 Win Mag AR Comparison???

Vapor Trail
05-15-12, 21:26
I just discovered a second AR in .300 Win Mag. I can't afford either of these rifles. I love the technology though, and I'm fascinated by how they work. What I want to learn how to do is not only appreciate them from the sidelines, but also figure out which rifle is superior. How can I tell, just from specs or website information, which rifle is more accurate or reliable? Is that even remotely possible?

Which company has made a better .300 Win Mag AR?
Which one would you rather shoot? If you've shot either one, please share!

The NEMO Omen // Match
.300 Win Mag AR: http://nemoarms.com/portfolio/omen-match-300-win-mag-ar/gallery/guns/

The Noreen Bad News .338 Lapua (AND .300 Win Mag) ULR: http://www.onlylongrange.com/badnews.asp

The Omen weighs 9.2, while the Bad News weighs 13 pounds. I'd say the Omen has the advantage there. However, the Bad News has a 26" barrel, which is 4" longer than the Omen. But as for the internals and small parts, I'm clueless when it comes to comparing them. The Omen has a 7075 Aluminum Billet Matched Receiver Set, while the Bad News's receiver is machined from a billet of 6061 T6 aluminum. What does that even mean?

What are the differences??

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-15-12, 21:36
I think the best way would be a long term evaluation of them but like you said very pricy. You could allways build your own in 300saum or dare I say it, buy the Armalight. If I wanted to do one I would get the mega mon upper and a lower, then get SSK on the phone and tell them what I want and have them build me a barrel.

Jon

Servo
05-15-12, 22:13
If you don't know the differnces between 7075 T6 and 6061 T6, or the differnce between billet and forged, google it.

And why are you so intrested in a weapon you cant afford?

Vapor Trail
05-15-12, 23:59
If you don't know the differnces between 7075 T6 and 6061 T6, or the differnce between billet and forged, google it.

And why are you so intrested in a weapon you cant afford?

Why do people watch basketball if they aren't good enough for the NBA? I'm just a fan.

Servo
05-16-12, 09:39
If you can find the info online then call up (or email) the companies and ask them on the materials and manufacturing processes they use. Then research the materials and the different manufacturing processes.

QuietShootr
05-16-12, 11:18
Another productive thread by the Airsoft Kid.

sgtbutt
05-16-12, 11:50
Nemo has the $100,000 AR, total win with that company. Take out a loan immediately as this company is only going up!

sammage
05-16-12, 11:57
Another productive thread by the Airsoft Kid.

I do wonder if he owns any firearms, or has done any shooting outside of Call of Duty.

Warg
05-16-12, 12:46
driv·el
   [driv-uhl] Show IPA noun, verb, driv·eled, driv·el·ing or ( especially British ) driv·elled, driv·el·ling.

noun
saliva flowing from the mouth, or mucus from the nose; slaver.

childish, silly, or meaningless talk or thinking; nonsense; twaddle.

For example:

Just because I'm not in a combat environment doesn't mean I can't be curious about the weapon technology.

This is mostly a curiosity question, but could possibly help steer me in the right direction for an AR purchase, and I AM in the market for an AR. I just want to know which caliber is the most well-built for any imaginable combat or defense scenario. I'm looking forward to seeing if the poll results stack up to what the U.S. military has deemed appropriate for their troops. Is a 14.5" 5.56 truly the most versatile system? I don't know.

Also, if you're confident in your decision, what do you think the most versatile barrel length is for that cartridge, for any imaginable scenario?

My four best guesses would have to be 5.56, .300 BLK, 6.5 Grendel, and 7.62x51.

I was just browsing the web and came across this:

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...status=&title=

I don't have a use for the weapon, nor is it in my budget, but I sure would like to have it anyway...

I'm starting a new project, loosely centered around on-the-fly pig-hunting. I have some questions about accessories I'd like to run by you gentlemen.

The platform itself will be the Covert in .308 Win: http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/dt....html?___SID=U

My first question is whether or not I need their muzzle brake. Will it significantly aid with follow-up shots? Is it a must-have with such a short barrel? http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/ac...-assembly.html

My main question has to do with choice of optic. I have narrowed it down to two scopes that excel at the ranges I'll be shooting at. Which one do you think I should purchase for the Covert?

Mark 8 1.1-8x24mm CQBSS Front Focal: http://www.leupold.com/tactical/prod...s-front-focal/

OR

Viper PST 1-4x24 FFP: http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...-5-moa-reticle

I've decided on the .458 SOCOM. If anyone thinks one of the other big-bore calibers is superior for hog-hunting, please let me know. I'm starting the process as we speak of picking out an upper with all my requirements. I want something light and reliable, with very little tactical rails. I want the rifle to have a good balance, with a relatively short barrel.

If anyone thinks this is a bad idea, I am open to constructive criticism. I would feel very confident hunting pigs with a round such as this.

I like plastics and polymers as much as the next guy, but I've always wondered what an all-metal AR platform would be like. Granted, it would be significantly heavier, but it wouldn't be a crew-served weapon or anything. Would anyone like to guess how heavy such a rifle would be? What kind of metals could you use to make it as light as possible, without adding any polymer components? Before you say it's impractical, let me say this is only brainstorming.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

P.S. Here's a song I'm listening to, thought I'd share it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0yHQAA7XW8

Recently I called up Desert Tactical Arms about their Hard Target Interdiction rifles. I wanted to know which of the long range rounds they were getting the best results with, since all four caliber configurations of the HTI are completely identical (minus the muzzle brake). To my surprise the gentleman started praising the .375 CT, an underdog as far as I was concerned. Well, apparently it did better out of a 29-inch barrel at 2500+ yards than the .50 BMG, .408 CT, and .416 Barrett. He told me that the round will easily break records in the near future, and that shooting past 25 was quite achievable.

Does anyone have experience with this cartridge? I'd be very interested to see some holes on paper at ultra-long range.

How short can you go with 7.62/.308 before you get serious ballistic issues? I know LWRC made the REPR with a 12" barrel, but can't you go any shorter than that? If not with a DGI-style system, what about with a piston?

Anyway, I've been comparing UGLs and can't decide what my favorite is. My question to you all is which of the above-mentioned weapons you would want mounted under your rifle or carbine (or in a standalone configuration). Even though I can't possibly be in the market, it's still fun to read about them and appreciate the technology.

This has peaked my interest for some time now: a near-silent WW2 commando weapon used by British special forces. The suppressor is integral, along with a ported barrel. Working the bolt is actually louder than firing the carbine! Valkyrie Arms is making a replica version, since they were so rare even from the beginning. By the Vietnam War, it was almost quaint.

Has anyone had any experience at all with one? I know this is a long shot, but I'd be interested in acquiring an original. Thanks!

I am looking to purchase an extremely compact SBR for Home Defense, and possibly to serve as a truck gun. There are four things I wanted to run by you gentlefolk for approval and input.

I've been taking your advice: reading more and posting less.

Apparently you haven't...

Please refrain from wasting our time with this ludicrous, hypothetical bullshit.

QuietShootr
05-16-12, 13:11
driv·el
   [driv-uhl] Show IPA noun, verb, driv·eled, driv·el·ing or ( especially British ) driv·elled, driv·el·ling.

noun
saliva flowing from the mouth, or mucus from the nose; slaver.

childish, silly, or meaningless talk or thinking; nonsense; twaddle.

For example:

Apparently you haven't...

Please refrain from wasting our time with this ludicrous, hypothetical bullshit.

This.