PDA

View Full Version : Buying first AR

rjpedley
01-10-08, 13:50
This will be my first AR and I need help! My department has selected two models for carry in our patrol cars. I am on the fence on which to buy. The first is the Colt LE6920 ($1250) and the second is the Bushmaster M4 Type Patrolman's Carbine BCWA3F 16M4 ($915).

I have the money for the Colt, but if I get the Bushmaster I have enough money for some extras and ammo. Is the Colt worth the extra money and wait? How good is the Bushmaster? If it was your money which would you buy?

Thank you for the help.

markm
01-10-08, 14:01
No Question...

COLT.

Worth every penny over the other option.

rob_s
01-10-08, 14:08
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

I'd take quality over accessories. Colt 6920 plus an Aimpoint C3 in an ADM mount package from G&R Tactical for $450+/- and you're good to go. Try to work out a way to add a light ASAP.

RD62
01-10-08, 14:32
The Colt.

-RD62

Paulinski
01-10-08, 14:43
Another vote for Colt. Especially if you are considering Bushmaster.

Something closer to Colt would have been a LMT.

rayray
01-10-08, 15:08
I'd go with the Bushmaster.

rob_s
01-10-08, 15:18
I'd go with the Bushmaster.

Any reason why?

C4IGrant
01-10-08, 15:20
When Colt is the option, Colt is the answer (most of the time). :D

C4

rjpedley
01-10-08, 15:38
I was thinking Colt. I don't know if we will be able to add optics to rifle. It is a stretch that we are going to be able to carry a rifle while on duty. I was thinking of adding trijicon night sight as soon as possiple. Thank you for the replies.

rob_s
01-10-08, 15:52
If you're going to add night sights, don't bother with the rear and only go with the dot front. I went with an XS Sights Standard Dot (http://www.xssights.com/store/tactical.html) front on my Colt 9mm and I'm happy with it.

rjpedley
01-10-08, 16:25
The XS 24/7 tritium Stripe looks like it would be a good choice. Why do you say no on the rear tritium sight?

ebisu
01-10-08, 16:41
Go with the bushmaster, invest in a close combat sight and cheap ammo, for practice. Go to the range as much as you can, even if going to a range on off days is what it takes. Having the colt is no good if you don't get the practice to use it correctly when the time comes. just my 2 cents

C4IGrant
01-10-08, 16:44
Go with the bushmaster, invest in a close combat sight and cheap ammo, for practice. Go to the range as much as you can, even if going to a range on off days is what it takes. Having the colt is no good if you don't get the practice to use it correctly when the time comes. just my 2 cents

Having a weapon that is reliable and made with quality parts is also VERY important.

Training won't help you if the gun fails to go bang when you need it the most.

C4

TOrrock
01-10-08, 16:59
I've seen too many out of the box fubars out of Bushmaster to trust a rifle from them.

Colt.

rjpedley
01-10-08, 17:06
It sounds like I should wait a month or two for when my local FFL gets their next shipment of LE6920's. LEO discounted price is $1130. By then I will have enough money to stock up on ammo. Again, no need for optics, don't think the department will let us put them on our patrol rifles. Just need the the night sights and ammo.

Failure2Stop
01-10-08, 18:14
Colt + light.

How many times have you heard someone say- "Yeah, I bought the Colt 6920, but I really wish I had gone for the Bushamster"?

Way less than the other way I bet. ;)

Likewise, how many people have gone into a situation that dictated the use of a rifle/carbine, and opined, "Yeah, I had a high intensity tactical light, boy was that a mistake."?

Again, way less that the opposite.

YMMV, but I doubt it.

Shihan
01-10-08, 18:49

I dont think your really in a position to be making suggestions on AR brands. You just joined the forum and know nothing about the platform which can be seen by the type of questions that you have been asking.

texasyid
01-10-08, 19:01
RJ these guys here on this forum know their stuff. Go with the Colt. It will be money well spent.

Plastic Fantastic
01-10-08, 19:54
I'd go with the Colt hands down. I own a Bushmaster only because I got a fantastic deal. Yeah, I haven't had any problems, but it's not really good to go right out of the box. The Colt on the other hand is good to go and better quality. Your life depends on it while on the job. You can't put a price on your life.

KDG
01-10-08, 20:19
If you buy the Bushmaster first like I did, you will end up with the Colt anyway, like I did :o

So save yourself the money and buy the Colt first, be cheaper in the long run and you'll have 915 dollars to buy that ammo

The 6920 is great weapon thats good to go

rjpedley
01-11-08, 06:42
It looks like the desision has been made. I will probaly order the Colt LE6920 later today. By the time the gun gets here I should be able to afford 500 round for practice. Thank you for all of the help.

rjpedley
01-11-08, 15:19
Done deal. Just ordered the Colt LE6920.:) :) I should have it in about a month. Thanks for all of the help. The gun will stay stock except for night sights. Before optics, rails and lights I must wait to see what the department will allow.

ZGXtreme
01-11-08, 17:54
Congrats on the purchase. The rifle will do anything you want it to with simply the stock setup so you will be ok! Just a tip, when you do start equipping the rifle, make sure you look for retailers which offer LEO pricing. I failed to do so for awhile and I really wish I had taken advantage of the great deals out there right from the beginning!

KDG
01-11-08, 18:51
Congrats on your new 6920 !

Plastic Fantastic
01-11-08, 19:47
Congrats! Your new partner will never let you down as long as you take good care of it.