PDA

View Full Version : How to mount AFG with a bipod?

Snareman
05-15-12, 23:41
I have an AFG and prefer it over a VFG. I understand the AFG is meant to be mounted all the way forward on the rail to have your arm fully extended. However I am considering getting a bipod such as a Harris BP and am trying to figure out how to place them both. I guess the AFG is going to have to come back some distance to make room. Anyone have any thoughts/experience on this?

Thanks

Shiz
05-15-12, 23:43
I would say one or the other. I don't know that a bipod has a place on a non scoped AR anyway. Even then...

Snareman
05-15-12, 23:45
I would say one or the other. I don't know that a bipod has a place on a non scoped AR anyway. Even then...

Well, the current way I'm doing table and prone shooting is to rest it on either my bag (I know I could get a bean bag) or find something to prop it on while prone, so I'm trying to come up with a solution for that.

TucsonFX4
05-15-12, 23:56
Sounds like you might be trying to make a jack of all trades (read: master of none). If you use a bipod, you would have no use for a AFG. If you use an AFG, you would have no use for a bipod.

What kind of shooting/training are doing/trying to accomplish? Shooting prone with an AR and no bipod, you should be able to make center mass hits for a few hundred yards. So what kind of precision/range are you trying to go for?

Casull
05-16-12, 00:02
Thumb over bore is somewhat effective even if it's not forward most of the rail, although of course you know it's best to have it further out.

That said, you can for sure run it as you like. What I find happens when I grip on shorter carbine hand guards is I extend the stock to compensate. It's fairly decent. In your situation you'd have the extra mass of the bipod, though, which would be your own compromise.

A solution for sure is a bean bag. I use them all the time. There are also quick attach bipods like those used in Vietnam, which literally just clamp on around the barrel with spring tension. http://www.sarcoinc.com/images/AR15M16/ar139_1.jpg

More recently of course there is the Mag Pod. A lot of guys use their magazine as a support while prone. The Mag Pod essentially perfects this technique.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/magpod/wmagpod_002.jpg

Then there's the Vltor/Tango Down bipod which may be mounded on the side of a quad rail. These can be mounted rearmost of the rail of preferred and of course detached if you don't want to use them on a certain day.

http://www.vltorstore.com/product_images/p/567/BipodMounted_HiRes__71610_zoom.jpg

Personally I'd only use an attached bipod for long range shooting but other than that I'm all sand bags or just conventional prone.

Again, you may go your proposed setup and just extend the stock, but you compromise a bit so understand that.

North
05-16-12, 00:24
What is the primary purpose of your AR? I personally do not believe it is necessary for a bipod on a 14.5-16" carbine but I suppose if it is a 20" and your purpose is hunting then why not. I'd suggest the vertical grip with built in bipod. http://www.tacticalsupply.com/cart/images/GPS%20LE.jpg

BlackLegionTactical
05-16-12, 00:47
I have been thinking of a bipod for a Reece build and I also prefer the AFG. I was thinking about the VLTOR bipod that mounts on the side rails or even mounting the bipod back.

Evil Colt 6920
05-16-12, 01:49
I have run a bipod on my 6920 with AFG2 but only when I have a scope on it. Which is usually only while testing reloads for accuracy. I have a 12" rail though so I have some room to make it work. If you are set on the AFG+Bipod then Id suggest a longer rail. Bipods on anything shorter look silly to me and dont leave much room for grips.

Failure2Stop
05-16-12, 03:42
First learn to shoot without either and determine what you actually need and what you want in certain instances.

My vote: take them both off and just slide the blood on when you want to do some bipod shooting. And really, if the bipod isn't at the muzzle end of the HG you might as well just use a magazine monopod position.

TehLlama
05-16-12, 12:37
Get a QD adapter for the bipod (ADM, LT) and work from there. 95% of the time you won't want it, and it's nice to be able to move it from one rifle to another quickly (extremely nice actually), especially since it lets you drop a bipod onto other rifles when you want to get a quick accuracy baseline.

F2S is right - I've had, and seem plenty of others with issue rifles running a grippod behind an AFG, but that was only beneficial because M4's have short handguards and the AFG lengthened it slightly, and grippods were free and expendable. Magazine monopod (even without special hardware) is quite enough to shoot good groups offhand, shooting off a range bag or backpack works quite well too. When you have a good enough bipod to use it over those, you'll probably want to make it portable and removable anyway.

MegademiC
05-16-12, 12:49
First learn to shoot without either and determine what you actually need and what you want in certain instances.

My vote: take them both off and just slide the blood on when you want to do some bipod shooting. And really, if the bipod isn't at the muzzle end of the HG you might as well just use a magazine monopod position.

Solid advice (as ussual).

I had a bipod on my m4 style rifle and quickly realized what a waste it was. On a dedicated precision gun, they are usefull, but for 90% of defensive style shooting, id opt for bare handguard or fore-grip. Also, magazine monopod is very effective out to hundreds of yards.

If your shooting pretty much all distance from prone/bench id go bipod. Close shooting will be in a pinch and you will probably find the benefit of the afg not to be worth the weight having it on there all the time to use once in a blue moon.

If not go the other route. If you do distance once in a while it shouldnt be too hard to throw a bipod on there for the day.

Ronin64
05-16-12, 13:45
I think for bench shooting, the sandbags are great. If your range doesn't have them, just bring your own. I thought about getting a bipod for my patrol rifle, and then realized I would be wasting money and would never use it. If it was scoped in, maybe it would be a good idea, but for a 1x optic, its kind of useless.

TangoSauce
05-16-12, 14:06
I agree that you should run one or the other. The VFG with a bipod can work, but I do not run them together personally. After running several configurations, I actually do not like the AFG. Even if you are shooting supported off a bench, the AFG seems to just get in the way. It takes up 3X the real estate on your rail than a VFG.

Here's a POF that I'm entertaining the thought of purchasing. It's awesome, but there's just way too much going on in this configuration. Hopefully, he won't mind me tossing this up on here, but this is what you are interested in running.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee376/waldron1305/2012-03-19212032.jpg

Shiz
05-18-12, 00:25
That pic is sad... a little funny too.

TangoSauce
05-18-12, 00:35
I think he'll be the first to admit that he went overboard on that one, lol.

tonyxcom
05-18-12, 01:13
You could always get a really long rail. That should put your VFG far enough forward to still be useful and still have a few 'picatins' left to mount a bipod when needed.

Eurodriver
05-18-12, 06:29
I think he'll be the first to admit that he went overboard on that one, lol.

Just a tad.

But its two tone. Two tone is always cool.

Snareman
05-18-12, 16:04
Thanks for the replies everyone and sorry for the late reply.

Perhaps I am sort of trying to make a jack of all trades gun. I probably do more prone/table shooting than I do off hand, but am taking 3 AR classes this year that will require both which is one of the reasons I was thinking about a bipod instead of just using my bag or a bean bag.

I don't hunt with it. Its more for recreational shooting.

I've tried a VFG, but don't really like the arm position compared to the AFG. The AFG is just a little more comfortable for me I guess.

Snareman
05-18-12, 16:27
That modpod looks sort of interesting, although I'm not sure why its twice the price of the Harris bipods for what looks like a much simpler design. Anyone have any experience with one?

http://www.vltor.com/images/bipod/785small-Lg.jpg

Shiz
05-18-12, 16:35
Perhaps I am sort of trying to make a jack of all trades gun. I probably do more prone/table shooting than I do off hand, but am taking 3 AR classes this year that will require both which is one of the reasons I was thinking about a bipod instead of just using my bag or a bean bag.

In your classes, you will see it is not the best option for a fighting AR.

If it is strictly long range, go that route. If you want J-O-T, then trust me, a bi-pod aint the way to go. Use the magazine as a mono.

elchupanibre
06-02-12, 02:22
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee376/waldron1305/2012-03-19212032.jpg[/QUOTE]

Looks naked without a light.