PDA

View Full Version : HD Bullets for Reloading (5.56/.223)

TucsonFX4
05-16-12, 10:04
I have tried searching, but I haven't been able to come up with much. I am considering getting into reloading for the first time in the next month or two. I am still working on what setup I will use, though it will most likely be a dillon 550. But that isn't the purpose of this post.

I have read DocGKR's terminal ballistics threads and I'm trying to find bullets from his list for reloading in .223/5.56. I'm guessing I'm not finding exact matches because the manufacturers want you to buy their loaded ammo, and not do it yourself for cheaper. Regardless, what bullet choices do I have that are on DocGKR's list? If their aren't any, what options are there that would be the best choices for terminal ballistics?

Thanks.

Boxerglocker
05-16-12, 10:53
Unless you intend to blow out your and your entire families eardrums firing that AR inside the house... my suggestion would be to opt for a shotgun.
Funny you should mention this... I was at a match last week, where the stage required 35-40 shots in a urban prone both left and right side. It was so fast and furious that I bumped my EARPRO on the ground and dislodged one cup... OUCH! Note to self... grab the shotgun if things go bump in the night.

sammage
05-16-12, 11:11
Unless you intend to blow out your and your entire families eardrums firing that AR inside the house... my suggestion would be to opt for a shotgun.
Funny you should mention this... I was at a match last week, where the stage required 35-40 shots in a urban prone both left and right side. It was so fast and furious that I bumped my EARPRO on the ground and dislodged one cup... OUCH! Note to self... grab the shotgun if things go bump in the night.

:confused:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=100631
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=95994

Choose whichever weapon will work best, either weapon will probably cause hearing issues. If you're really that worried about it, grab a suppressor.

Boxerglocker
05-16-12, 11:49
My point is, unless you are prepared for the action. You can not even assume the reaction you will have. I've experienced all three AR, handgun and shotgun fired multiple times without EARPRO.
Shotgun IMO although decibel wise may be just as loud the frequencies are less impacting. MY choice for the sake of hearing of my 8 and 6 year old boys, is to use a shotgun as I know it will not be as traumatic on their ears as a AR inside the house.
Another point that I keep in mind is a Shotgun with #4 buck provides a better blast pattern for me, the AR you'll most likely be guessing if you had a hit, shoot multiple times and at close range will have through and throughs.

DJTHEMAC
05-17-12, 18:18
I have tried searching, but I haven't been able to come up with much. I am considering getting into reloading for the first time in the next month or two. I am still working on what setup I will use, though it will most likely be a dillon 550. But that isn't the purpose of this post.

I have read DocGKR's terminal ballistics threads and I'm trying to find bullets from his list for reloading in .223/5.56. I'm guessing I'm not finding exact matches because the manufacturers want you to buy their loaded ammo, and not do it yourself for cheaper. Regardless, what bullet choices do I have that are on DocGKR's list? If their aren't any, what options are there that would be the best choices for terminal ballistics?

Thanks.

You can buy 77 grain Nosler Custom Competition (similar to the SMK mk262 load) for 157.00/K from powder valley inc.

If you want to try the new recommended barrier blind loads that feature jacketed soft points you can try winchester Power Point or the TSX offerings.

I am looking at around 32 cents a round to create a store my SHTF ammo of choice (mk262 clone). I have m855 as a primary ammo, but I would elect to use the mk262 for my SBR

NWPilgrim
05-17-12, 19:32
There are a few good bullet options for the reloader that are used in the factory loads Doc recommends:

Non-barrier blind:
- heavy OTM such as Hornady 75 BTHP, Sierra 77 gr BTHP (I use the ones with cannelure), and similar ones from Nosler, Berger, etc.

- Win 64 gr SP, Sierra 65 gr SPBT (GameKing)

Barrier blind:
- Barnes 50 gr, 55 gr, 62 gr and 70 gr TSX

- Nosler 60 gr Partition

- Swift 77 gr bonded Scirocco

I cannot find a reliable source for Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in .224" and the ones listed are hugely expensive.

I finally settled on Barnes 62 gr. TSX for backup defense/hunting since it is readily available, competitively priced, accurate, and will shoot through 1/9 as well as 1/7 bbls. And has no lead exposed as the Partition and other SPs do. And I can load it to similar point of impacts as my primary defense round the XM223SP1 62 gr bonded ammo.

I also load the 77 gr Sierra Matchking BTHP for long range shooting, and this could be used as an alternate non-barrier blind defense round.

TucsonFX4
05-19-12, 00:09
DJ and Pilgram, Thanks for your replies. I'll try to do some more research into those bullets.

Boxer, besides not providing any substantive info for this thread regarding the topic, you should do some more research regarding terminal balistics (regarding both over-penetration and also shot spread at close range). Regarding the SPL's of the guns, you may have a valid point. Though I need to look at studies to see how they each stack up.

CDW4ME
05-19-12, 12:51
I handloaded the 60 gr. Nosler Partition using Accurate Arms powder.
Accurate Arms has free load data on their site using the Partiton.
I've seen the 60 gr. Partition cited as one of the better hunting bullets, likely good for SD too.

Boxerglocker
05-21-12, 00:00
Boxer, besides not providing any substantive info for this thread regarding the topic, you should do some more research regarding terminal balistics (regarding both over-penetration and also shot spread at close range). Regarding the SPL's of the guns, you may have a valid point. Though I need to look at studies to see how they each stack up.

Seriously no offense but you asking about terminals ballistics to choose the best bullet for HD and implying that someone has no clue. You reason that you may load sometime in the future when you actually venture into reloading with possibly a 550. Unless you have a home with over 100 yards of distance to engage a assailant it really isn't going to make a difference. Any of the ones mentioned would fit the bill. I personally would opt for a canned 300 BLK not a .556 even suppressed.
I currently load over 1000 rounds a month in rifle and have loaded 10-15 different combinations with bullet weights varying from 50 to 77g in .223 all make better than 1 MOA.
Regarding research, I have done it and tested it in my guns and deemed that choosing #4 buckshot the best as a mix between pattern density, penetration and lack of over penetration within the confined distances that would possibly be encountered in my home.

Respectfully

TucsonFX4
05-22-12, 09:38
Boxer, I understand what you are saying, and maybe I should have added more letters to the possibilities of uses for this round (HD/SD/SHTF, etc.) Not to discount the possible effectiveness of the various options you have mentioned (shotgun and 300blk), but my thread wasn't asking for suggestions on what gun/caliber to use for defensive purposes. You said you have done extensive reloading in .223, done research, and tested it in your guns. With all this knowledge/experience, I would have found it helpful for you to share it regarding my original post.

I still welcome any knowledge you have regarding .223 reloading bullets as far as terminal ballistics go (maybe with/without intermediate barriers).

polymorpheous
05-22-12, 10:03
The question was which .223 for HD.
Not which caliber.

Enough of the derailment.
Some of us come here to learn.

OP, there is a thread in the hunting sub-forum about Barnes TSX bullets.
It's worth checking out.

Boxerglocker
05-22-12, 11:53
I still welcome any knowledge you have regarding .223 reloading bullets as far as terminal ballistics go (maybe with/without intermediate barriers).

Sure, I understand your intention here, don't necessarily agree with reasoning but to really answer your question accurately one thing I would like to know that you failed to mention is the twist on your host rifle?
I have read discussions debating the a question, that 75 grain is the best stopper but it may not be accurate from a 1/9 twist. For the sake of this question assume the worst accuracy. Would it be accurate enough for good terminal effectiveness? It might not hit the target perfectly point forward, would this affect bullet yaw and fragmentation? I'd guess that the earlier yaw might even help, but I've never got an answer to this question.
Now, I'm no professional operator but have prepared somewhat for the zombie apocalypse and use both 60g Noslers Ballistic Tips and Hornady 68 grain OTM bullet for my stockpile SHTF ammo stores. I keep about a 1000 rounds of each at the ready to grab on the way out to a last minute I decide to go to a match or impromptu varmint hunt or long range target plinking on the forest roads. I choose these 2 based on performance in my humble collection of .223/5.56 guns both bolt and AR platforms.
In regards to blind barriers, to be honest I don't think about it much. I think most of my hand loads would do a more than adequate job. I've tested most my loads at 25 feet and they easily penetrate 3-4 sheets of dry wall. Plus always have at least a case of a thousand each XM193 and M855A1 standing by in my ammo locker.
My main concern in selecting the bullets I have... is that the loads all work reliably and consistently in all my firearms. Secondly that with the interchanging of ammo in the different guns the POI does not vary drastically. I like to interchange my Aimpoint T1 and 1-4 scope on my rifles and have them plotted to a point where they are within 4 clicks of eachother.
So the question of what would be the best terminally ballistic bullet for your intended use... you would really have to define the gun twist, environment (barriers) and ranges you would expect to encounter to make a truly informed decision.

TucsonFX4
05-22-12, 23:56
1/7 twist rate. 16" barrel length.

CDW4ME
05-23-12, 08:11
Yesterday, I shot the 60 gr. Nosler Partition into water filled gallon jugs.
Nosler Partition, 23.5 gr. AA 2230, Winchester small rifle primer, new Winchester brass.
This load had a 3 shot chrono average of 2,807 fps out of a 1/9 twist Stag 2T.

Bullet made it to the back of the 4th jug, making a hole, but not exiting. Recovered diameter of .40 - .41

I obtained exactly the same penetration and recovered diameter when I loaded the Partition with 21.2 gr. AA 2015 at a velocity of only 2,536 fps.

The extra ~270 fps drove bullet expansion further down the bullet and caused the first jug to be literally torn in half (two seperate pieces).

The little front lead core seperated from the rest of the bullet both times.