PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Noticed Machine Gun Prices Trending UP...?

SteyrAUG
05-16-12, 19:56
During the last election hysteria, machine gun prices actually depressed slightly as people cashed out during a bad economy. Regular gun prices of course skyrocketed.

Right before the last election I was able to take advantage of this unusual situation and flipped several superfluous semi autos for absurdly inflated prices and put that money into very affordable machine guns.

But lately I have noticed machine gun prices are incredibly high, in some cases higher than they were before the housing market tanked the economy. And some that are priced at what I consider "slightly higher than reasonable" seem to go incredibly fast.

I think the salad days of cheap machine guns are officially gone.

LHS
05-16-12, 20:13
During the last election hysteria, machine gun prices actually depressed slightly as people cashed out during a bad economy. Regular gun prices of course skyrocketed.

Right before the last election I was able to take advantage of this unusual situation and flipped several superfluous semi autos for absurdly inflated prices and put that money into very affordable machine guns.

But lately I have noticed machine gun prices are incredibly high, in some cases higher than they were before the housing market tanked the economy. And some that are priced at what I consider "slightly higher than reasonable" seem to go incredibly fast.

I think the salad days of cheap machine guns are officially gone.

There haven't been cheap machine guns in 20 years. The only way I'll ever afford an MG is to inherit one, and even that might go out the window if I get nailed by an estate tax on it.

JoshNC
05-16-12, 20:49
I agree Steyr. It is very interesting. HK sears, M16s, and AR15 DIAS have all really jumped in price. Uzis, MACs, and FNCs have all stayed about the same. Thompsons (non-WH) and other historically relevant C&R-type stuff seemed to not really dip in price with the economy and haven't really seen the recent escalation.

A few months ago when prices were still depressed, I was actually considering buying a non-Colt RR M16 to allow me to put the Colts in safe.

Moltke
05-16-12, 20:52
Prices are definitely going up.

Rebel Rifle Ordnance
05-16-12, 21:02
I agree, prices are climbing. I haven't seen a reasonably priced MAC or M/11 on the forums in months.

SteyrAUG
05-16-12, 23:03
There haven't been cheap machine guns in 20 years. The only way I'll ever afford an MG is to inherit one, and even that might go out the window if I get nailed by an estate tax on it.

When I say cheap, I mean cheaper than they've been since 2000.

SteyrAUG
05-16-12, 23:06
Uzis, MACs, and FNCs have all stayed about the same.

Might want to check on those. Even Ruben has sold all of his "slightly higher than market price" Powder Springs M-10s. And he was sitting on those for years. FNCs and Uzis are all about $1000 more than what I was seeing last year.

motoduck
05-17-12, 06:31
I agree there has been a "big" jump in the asking/listing price on the boards. But, I keep seeing the same listings over and over. I don't think MGs are moving at those prices. I think there are many that are posting with "high" asking prices just in case someone will pay it. I believe the guns that are moving may be 10%-15% higher than a year ago but nothing like the asking prices.

fixit69
05-17-12, 08:34
All across the boards people are asking too much. While I agree the halcion days of buying are long gone, you really have to look hard to find a deal. They just don't pop out like they used to, and styer, a lot of people did the same thing you did. And they aren't going to be selling anytime soon.

gunz213
05-17-12, 11:53
HK sear and M-16 (especially RDIAS) prices have gone up drastically in the past year or so. Makes me glad I got my HK sear when the prices dipped a couple years ago.

SteyrAUG
05-17-12, 12:32
I agree there has been a "big" jump in the asking/listing price on the boards. But, I keep seeing the same listings over and over. I don't think MGs are moving at those prices. I think there are many that are posting with "high" asking prices just in case someone will pay it. I believe the guns that are moving may be 10%-15% higher than a year ago but nothing like the asking prices.

While some of the optimistically priced stuff won't move, I'm seeing lots of things sell at prices where I expected them to be there forever.

MCS
05-17-12, 13:11
What do FNCs for now? I have been considering get one to start my MC endeavor.

gunz213
05-17-12, 13:41
Most of the FNC's I've seen recently have been advertised in the 7-8.5K range. Not sure what they are actually selling for though.

KalashniKEV
05-17-12, 14:39
Most of the FNC's I've seen recently have been advertised in the 7-8.5K range. Not sure what they are actually selling for though.

The word on the street was FNC prices were about to go though the roof if ATF allowed owners to carry them over to SCARs. This guy supposedly got his form amended:
(though not the registry)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=276791729

You are bidding on an S and H sear for an FNC rifle. The sear is almost new and is transferable. THE ATF HAS AMENDED THE MODEL INFORMATION ON THE FORM TO REFLECT "FNC - SCAR" !!! There has been much debate on if ATF would allow installation of the FNC sears into the SCAR rifle. It appears to be a very positive sign that the model has been amended!! This will transfer tax free to your ffl/sot and should take about 6-8 weeks to do so. This will transfer direct from our customers inventory! DID YOU KNOW?? We have lots of machine guns and other NO RESERVE machine gun auctions. See our web site:
[Information added 3/8/2012 11:22:11 AM]
AFTER QUESTIONS WERE RAISED AND WE LOOKED INTO THIS FURTHER, I AM LEAD TO BELIEVE THE MODEL DESIGNATION "FNC - SCAR" WAS NOT AMENDED IN THE REGISTRY THOUGH IT IS CLEARLY ON THE APPROVED FORM. WHEN WE TRANSFER THIS ATF MAY OR MAY NOT ALLOW TO TRANSFER WITH THE AMENDED SCAR DESIGNATION, PLEASE BID ACCORDINGLY.

I almost bought an FNC just to see...

SteyrAUG
05-17-12, 16:19
The word on the street was FNC prices were about to go though the roof if ATF allowed owners to carry them over to SCARs. This guy supposedly got his form amended:

I almost bought an FNC just to see...

You guys are gonna want to be very careful with Frank. I had some customers who ended up with some very shady deals including being sent "broken" sears and having items transfer from dealers other than Frank despite being sold by Frank.

motoduck
05-18-12, 06:09

This rumor also circulated when the SCAR first came out. I am surprised it has popped up again. I see no way this is ever going to happen. With out reviewing all the technical and "real world" BATF reasons why this is not posssible or probable. I think this hype to sell FNC sears (at an inflated price) that are sitting around with no host, most likely purchased as an "investment" rather than to be actually used.