PDA

View Full Version : Vltor A5 Action Spring

og556
05-16-12, 20:01
I was wondering if the A5 Action Spring is definitely a standard rifle length spring ?

I am helping a friend build an AR and he bought a used A5 Receiver extension and buffer but it did not come with an action spring.

I ordered a Rifle Action Spring form SAW and it appears to be about 11.5" and feels lighter than the A5 Action Spring I have in my lower.

The other thing I noticed about the A5 stock spring is that when it was new one end was colored blue like a springco action spring (which it might be?) but the SAW rifle length spring is the same color and size on both ends.

One other difference I observed was that the stock Vltor spring was darker gunmetal grey whereas the SAW M-16 spring is almost a yellowish color.

Buck
05-16-12, 20:26
From Vltor's site...

EMOD "A5" Combo Kit at a glance:

Design:

Specially developed buffer and receiver extension, which works with the known M16A2 action spring. This combination of components helps increase the reliability and lowers rate of fire for all AR-15 type firearms.

MrSmitty
05-16-12, 20:28
The A5 spring is a rifle spring.

I've used the the one that comes with the Vltor kit, it was a dark bronzish color. I've also used the a Colt rifle spring which was a dark gray color and the Sprinco CS rifle spring which is green on one end.

Not sure what spring you were using with a blue end, sounds like a Sprinco enhanced carbine spring...:blink:

og556
05-16-12, 20:30
Buck,

Thank you for the clarification. I should have done more research before I posted this.

I trust the info I get from guys on here more than any where else.

Just out of curiosity does any one know what the difference in material is between colt action springs and what these things shipped with ? The Vltor spring reminds me of a Springco CS spring I used to use on my carbine lower and the Colt one from SAW has a yellowish tint to it, feels lighter, and is slightly shorter.

MrSmitty
05-16-12, 20:36
The Vltor spring reminds me of a Springco CS spring I used to use on my carbine lower and the Colt one from SAW has a yellowish tint to it, feels lighter, and is slightly shorter.

My Colt spring and the one that came with my Vltor kit are the opposite of what you are describing. Sample of two so who knows. Vltor has told me that their A5 buffers are made by the same people that make them for Colt so maybe they get their springs from the same place and the finish varies. If the spring is within 11 3/4" and 13 1/2" then it will be fine. What is the length of the blue ended spring that you have?

og556
05-16-12, 20:42
Well when the VLTOR A5 spring was new it had a blue finish on one end I assumed the buffer was supposed to go into. The finish on the A5 stock spring was dark grey and it was about 12"

When I used a carbine length receiver extension I ordered a blue springco CS spring directly from springco and it also had blue on one end. I forget which model springco I used but it was definitely a carbine length one.

The SAW spring I am going to use in my buddy's rifle is 11.5", has a yellow tint to it, and feels physically lighter than the stock A5 spring.

My only concern is long term durability with using this spring. I guess he will just have to measure it regularly to make sure it still falls within spec.

MrSmitty
05-16-12, 20:50
Well when the VLTOR A5 spring was new it had a blue finish on one end I assumed the buffer was supposed to go into. The finish on the A5 stock spring was dark grey and it was about 12"

Roger, didn't realize that.

The SAW spring I am going to use in my buddy's rifle is 11.5", has a yellow tint to it, and feels physically lighter than the stock A5 spring.

My only concern is long term durability with using this spring. I guess he will just have to measure it regularly to make sure it still falls within spec.

SAW as in Specialized Armament? If you got it from Specialized Armament then it should be good to go but 11.5" is below minimum...

og556
05-16-12, 20:58
Yep Specialized Armament Warehouse.

I usually only order parts like this from SAW because from what I've read on here they get Colt parts built to the TDP. I hope this is still the case.

This spring was only $7 and I ordered it for my buddy when I ordered some other spare parts for myself.

We are going to go shooting next week and I think we'll probably run through 1K rounds throughout the week. I guess we'll see how it compares to mine.

Clint
05-16-12, 21:04
It appears that there are dozens of flavors of springs available, with small differences between them.

Even the number of coils is a variable, as length and force are the critical parameters.

I wouldn't sweat the details of any particular spring.

If it has good length and force, it should work fine.

Have a spare spring from a quality mfg on hand and periodically check the length of the springs you have in service.

MrSmitty
05-16-12, 21:09
Have a spare spring from a quality mfg on hand and periodically check the length of the springs you have in service.

^Good call. I've never used a rifle spring that was below minimum, I always measure every 1k and swap out at 3k regardless since they're cheap.

If it doesn't work for some reason, get a hold of SAW and they'll probably take care of you. Or just chalk it up as an out of spec consumable item and roll on :happy:

og556
05-16-12, 21:25
I just wanted to edit this post because I went through some previous posts about action springs.

Without reviving long dead threads the general recommendation has been a Chrome Silicone spring but SS springs are fine as long as they meet specs. The benefit of CS springs as far as I have found is that they do not take a set like SS springs can. Also they allegedly have a longer life expectancy.

In terms of brands the only ones I read recommendations about have been from tactical springs (springco) or ISMI (whom I cannot find action springs through, only mag springs).

I am going to order a couple of rifle action springs through springco and see how it turns out with the A5.

I know I'm over thinking this stuff but its good to know where you can get known good parts like these.

Iraqgunz
05-17-12, 04:24
Make sure that you didn't get a carbine spring accidentally. A rifle spring should be a minimum of 11.75 inches length up to 13.5 inches.

I was wondering if the A5 Action Spring is definitely a standard rifle length spring ?

I am helping a friend build an AR and he bought a used A5 Receiver extension and buffer but it did not come with an action spring.

I ordered a Rifle Action Spring form SAW and it appears to be about 11.5" and feels lighter than the A5 Action Spring I have in my lower.

The other thing I noticed about the A5 stock spring is that when it was new one end was colored blue like a springco action spring (which it might be?) but the SAW rifle length spring is the same color and size on both ends.

One other difference I observed was that the stock Vltor spring was darker gunmetal grey whereas the SAW M-16 spring is almost a yellowish color.

M90A1
05-17-12, 10:01
Make sure that you didn't get a carbine spring accidentally.

+1

I bought four A2 rifle springs from SAW at one of the Phoenix gun shows. Watched as all 4 were taken from the same box on the table. Got home and discovered that one was a carbine spring. Not really a big deal as I just added it to the stash, but mistakes happen.