PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Brake or FH for Suppressor Mount

saddlerocker
05-17-12, 00:53
Im just starting to research suppressors for my first SBR which the paperwork is being sent in by Monday.

Im looking at an Ops Inc M4-M suppressor and trying to decide on the flash hider or muzzle brake.
I know the brake can help prolong the life of the baffles.
Does the brake have an effect when the suppressor is attached, or only when it is off?

If it makes no difference when the suppressor is attached than I would like to go with the flash hider for times when the suppressor might be off, due to the noise and concussion.

Does the brake effect the muzzle rise/recoil/noise when the suppressor is attached?

Thanks

RGoose
05-17-12, 23:15
Im just starting to research suppressors for my first SBR which the paperwork is being sent in by Monday.

Im looking at an Ops Inc M4-M suppressor and trying to decide on the flash hider or muzzle brake.
I know the brake can help prolong the life of the baffles.
Does the brake have an effect when the suppressor is attached, or only when it is off?

If it makes no difference when the suppressor is attached than I would like to go with the flash hider for times when the suppressor might be off, due to the noise and concussion.

Does the brake effect the muzzle rise/recoil/noise when the suppressor is attached?

Thanks

Once the can is attached the brake only serves as a mount and a sacrificial first baffle and has no influence on maintaining muzzle stability by the direction of expelled gasses to counter recoil and or muzzle rise.

The Ops Inc M4-M suppressor uses a proprietary muzzle brake mount, so if you want that can you got to use their mount.

saddlerocker
05-17-12, 23:34
Thanks,
I for-see the suppressor being used 98% of the time, so the brake sounds good to prolong the baffles.

I am aware of the mounting system, still trying to figure out if the reduced contour on BCM Gov. profile barrels right before the threads is all thats needed for the collar, or if it will still need shop work to be contoured.

The reduced overall length of a reflex and lower price of the Ops Inc even after shop work if needed has me pretty much set on the M4-M

I wish there were more Reflex options, the Surefire is just out of my pricerange

sandsunsurf
05-18-12, 00:12
Why are you set on the Ops Inc can? I know they've got a fanatical following, but you should definitely do some side-by-side testing if you have the opportunity. I'm consistently underwhelmed when I shoot next to them. And the mounting system only works with certain barrels due to the collar, which really doesn't make it that much (or at all) shorter anyway.

This is just my opinion, based only on shooting around them, not on test data. So take it for what it is...

vinsonr
05-19-12, 22:05
I agree, shop around. I'd recommend this one:

http://www.suppressedarmament.com/556-suppressors/m455.html

It's not a reflex mount but it adds <5" to the length and weighs 15oz.