PDA

View Full Version : Heads up, MFS .223 sale at Palmetto State Armory

J_Dub_503
05-17-12, 01:11
MFS .223 55gr FMJ Zinc Plated Steel Case - $4.99 + free shipping (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/mfs-223-55gr-fmj-zinc-plated.html)
Just found this deal on their Facebook page and thought of you guys. :cool:

No affiliation.

vicious_cb
05-17-12, 08:04
The fact that they put these up for sale at a time when other cheap ammo is flying off the shelves should be a 'clue'.

sadmin
05-17-12, 09:29
It was out of stock for the last couple of weeks. FWIW, i have dropped about a thousand rounds of this stuff out of an otherwise finicky 14.5 midlength-A5 when it pertains to cheap ammo. It wouldnt cycle Brown Bear or WPA without hiccups. This ammo worked 100% of the time...which for my tiny sample, makes it equal to PMC, but 100 dollars cheaper p/case.

richiecotite
05-18-12, 13:59
For $5 per box....

I went ahead and ordered 20 boxes. This is the largest order for ammuniton I've ever placed.

I've shot MFS .308 in my buddy's FAL; had a couple issues with feeding, but everything has feeding issues with his never been cleaned/disassembled/oiled FAL and 30 yr old rusted surplus magazines.

If it's crap, I figure i'll be able to sell it later on in the year and at the very least get my money back.

Brimstone
05-18-12, 17:08
I found this review of this ammo from the Volusia County Sheriff's Dept.:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=151342978242318

I will be picking up around 500 rounds and give it a "shot".

mallowpufft
05-18-12, 17:54
15 boxes was all my budget (and swmbo's allowed me to spend on ammo) for the month. Bought it as soon as I saw it on their FB page.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

duece71
05-19-12, 20:23
Nice, just ordered 20 boxes. I hope its still around next month.

CA_Shooter
05-21-12, 17:11
Price went up .11 per box but free shipping is back on now through Memorial Day.

Definetly worth giving it a try. Figure if my carbine doesnt like it I can always make a profit off of it locally between now and November. ;)

tpd223
05-21-12, 18:47
Anyone here ever tested this stuff?

Curious as to accuracy and velocity.

mallowpufft
05-21-12, 19:42
Anyone here ever tested this stuff?

Curious as to accuracy and velocity.

I've only shot 40 rounds so I can't say much but PhilaPD seems to have used it with some success.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1308559

J_Dub_503
05-21-12, 23:29
Palmetto is now only offering this deal as a 500 round case, $124.75 shipped.

richiecotite
05-24-12, 09:00
Ordered 8 more boxes on Monday, to go with the 20 boxes ordered Friday. Mine is scheduled to come in tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully should get out to NRA range on Saturday to shoot about 100 or so, will update.

vicious_cb
05-24-12, 10:52
I've only shot 40 rounds so I can't say much but PhilaPD seems to have used it with some success.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1308559

Uh what? I would not call that success. Not when I have to inspect every round for a potential kaboom.

One thing I have found is that MFS will sometimes have a few rounds with bullet set back from the loading processes so be careful and inspect all rounds as you load them into the magazine.

tpd223
05-24-12, 11:42
Uh what? I would not call that success. Not when I have to inspect every round for a potential kaboom.

IMHO if you are not visually checking your rounds now, whatever brand you use, as you load then you are going to have issues.

I have seen QC on ammo drop across the board over the past few years, even the premium quality duty type ammo.

vicious_cb
05-24-12, 12:29
IMHO if you are not visually checking your rounds now, whatever brand you use, as you load then you are going to have issues.

I have seen QC on ammo drop across the board over the past few years, even the premium quality duty type ammo.

I do, except a weak crimp might not be apparent until after you've chambered a round.

E4for2
05-24-12, 13:18
Memorial day sale of FREE shipping--They are Out Of Stock--
TOO BAD !!!:mad:

indawire
05-27-12, 12:03
Here's post I wrote for my local group in Ct. (Ctguntalk) with a fast review of the MFS ammo. The 1k box of MFS .223 55gr. arrived on Friday. 20 per cardboard box each cartridge layer wrapped in some brown paper stapled on the ends. 25 little boxes plastic bag, 2 bags per cardboard shipping box. Semi-shiny finish on the zinc case, primers sealed with some red sealer. No noticeable defects in cartridges examined before inserting in the mags. As a public service;) I used up about 200 split between two uppers, same lower. Not an exhaustive test but does it work? type of test. Lower- PWA w/ Sprinco Blue spring, H buffer, mil-spec tube. Upper #1. DD LW 14.5" DD BCG, mid length w/ BC 1.5 and upper #2. BCM 16" BCM BCG, mid length standard bbl w/ BC 1.0 This is the same setup I run w/ M193 or M855. Six 30 rnd. Pmags were used. No failure to feed or eject, all ejects landed at 4:00 within a 30" circle, all went bang. Seemed a little dirtier (subjective) but nothing a little EWL 2000 would have a problem with. This was a function test, not a benchrest session. Quick and dirty accuracy groups seemed on par w/ Federal, American Eagle, IMI, LC, South African and Malaysian. Not as good as some no worse than others. In other words, IMHO, for practice fodder, @.25 per loaded cartridge delivered, it seems OK. Would I take a class w/ it? I'd stick to brass -but- to put my $ where my mouth is, I just ordered another 1k. Placed the order Sat afternoon it went thru as placed. The delivered sale at Palmetto State is thru Memorial Day according to the web site.

wahoo95
05-27-12, 12:07
My understanding is that this stuff is pretty much rebranded Silver Bear?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

thehammer69
05-27-12, 21:44
I put a 100 rounds of this stuff through my weapon yesterday. It performed flawlessly. Another shooter at the class put around 700 rounds through his, no issues with his either.

HackerF15E
06-08-12, 06:39
Any more reports on this ammo?

Thinking about picking some up for practice and plinking, and as of yet haven't heard any negatives yet (only somewhat positive reviews like indawire's in post #17).

Although it's 10% more expensive than Wolf, with PSA's free shipping it brings the costs closer to WPA or Polyformance and, more importantly, it's currently in stock.

dohc97
06-08-12, 09:54
i got my first 1000 rounds two weeks ago. I've shot 100 rounds on my brand new LMT CQB with no problem at all. i ordered another 1k and will be getting it on Monday.

PA PATRIOT
06-08-12, 11:13
Price jumped up a little and is now $10.00 more per 1000rds.

richiecotite
06-08-12, 14:32
my experience is similar to everyone elses, ran about 150 rounds through it a week and a half ago,

i had one issue where the round failed to fully seat in chamber on the first mag, after that everything else ran well, nice ejection pattern about 4:30, 5 ft back

CA_Shooter
06-08-12, 19:44
Ordered a half case over the Memorial Day sale and received it about a week later.

Have shot about 200 rounds out of both my 6920 and 581-series Mini-14 with no issues so far. Definetly thinking about ordering some more for cheap practice/training ammo.

Only negative is it came shipped pretty sloppily. The 25 individual boxes were dumped in a plastic bag and then dumped into the box with no padding so they flopped around loose inside the plastic bag causing many of the box end tabs to come undone but no ammo was spilled out thankfully. Boxes also looked dirty and faded like they had been sitting awhile. None of the rounds appeared damaged though.

HackerF15E
06-08-12, 20:34
Overall, is it better/worse/equal to Barnaul? How about Tula?

Thanks for the inputs!

EDIT: Just found a YouTube which showed MFS .223 zinc/steel case which has the same headstamp as Silver Bear. Answers the question.

HackerF15E
06-25-12, 20:25
Just another follow-up on this. Barnaul manufacture with both Barnaul and MFS headstamp:

Cardboard container for 500-rd case with Barnaul logo:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/Hacker15E/dda45e0b.jpg

20-rd container with typical Russian paper wrapping inside:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/Hacker15E/ce8e627f.jpg

Headstamp:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/Hacker15E/0d4f5700.jpg

mallowpufft
07-12-12, 09:51
I was poking around the PSA site today and saw that not only are they offering free shipping still but that they seem to have MFS ammo in stock again ($129 per 500 (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/mfs-223-55gr-fmj-zinc-plated.html)). With the free shipping it's not a bad deal.

wahoo95
07-12-12, 10:20
The people I know that are shooting have no complaints about it.....good cheap ammo that goes bang.

LOL, I know its not for everybody do to time and space contraints but some of you should really look into reloading. I'm currently loading brass cased ammo with good Hornady bullets that's suited perfectly for my rifle for $135/1000. The savings pay for equipment quickly and you'll shoot a lot more.

MrSmitty
07-12-12, 11:58
The people I know that are shooting have no complaints about it.....good cheap ammo that goes bang.

LOL, I know its not for everybody do to time and space contraints but some of you should really look into reloading. I'm currently loading brass cased ammo with good Hornady bullets that's suited perfectly for my rifle for $135/1000. The savings pay for equipment quickly and you'll shoot a lot more.

Not to sidetrack this thread too much, but what was your initial investment for your reloading system to get you started? I have bags upon bags of brass that I need to make use of...

wahoo95
07-12-12, 12:08
Not to sidetrack this thread too much, but what was your initial investment for your reloading system to get you started? I have bags upon bags of brass that I need to make use of...

I lucked up and bought a complete turn key package off a guy that was liquidating stuff to buy a home. I got a Dillon 550B with several caliber conversions, electronic scale, tumbler, calipers, brass, bullets....pretty much everything but a case trimmer all for $700. For many that will seem like a lot for the initial investment, but I simply went through my safe and sold a gun that was collecting dust to cover the cost. The reloading gear was a better investment in my opinion.

In my first year I loaded:
5K rounds of 223
500rds rounds .40
500rds rounds .45
5K rounds of 9mm

So as you can imagine I was able to recoup my cost in savings within a few months. The best part is that I shoot, train, and compete 500% more often than I did before because the ammo drain isn't such a bear.

Even starting with a simple Turret press will garner you savings as you will be able to produce a couple hundred rounds an hour.