PDA

View Full Version : redacted

VooDoo6Actual
05-17-12, 13:58
redacted.

Artos
05-17-12, 15:49
Cannot speak to the gun, but a .2 agg is what wins the supershoot hop. That sort of benchrest accuracy simply cannot be done on a regular basis without putting up flags and doping the wind.

people who boast their guns shoot 1/4" all day have never shot competetive short range & carry around a three shot target in their wallet.

Most br shooters will tell you 90% of the best tubes cranked out are dialed into a .2 accuracy max.

fallenromeo
05-17-12, 16:17
.2 seems pretty crazy, but I would hope for something like that if paying $15,000+ for a DSR-1. Interested to hear if anyone on this site has had hands-on experience with one.

VooDoo6Actual
05-17-12, 16:23
redacted.

Artos
05-17-12, 18:50
I would use a true br gunsmith & build something around the stiller / viper action & win quarters from the dsr-1 shooters all day long.

With that sort of money you can pin the action and get extra bolts / bbls till your head spins. Having a remmy 700 foot print leaves the choices for stocks at a premium as well.

orkan
05-17-12, 21:17
artos, you can spend as much money as you want on a 700 clone... and still NOT HAVE a bullpup. I'm pretty sure you are missing the premise here.

I can't consistently run in the .2's with my dta. .5's-.7's... no problem. The .2's just seems a bit much for an accuracy guarantee. At that level, you just have one little itty bitty ragged hole about .40 cal in size. That is downright amazing, and only the better bench guns can do it regularly.

If that rifle can do it... it would really be something. I'd have to see it before I'd believe it. I doubt you'll get a lot of feedback on it here, as I've only heard of about 5 of those rifles stateside. (I'm sure there are a few more, but they don't seem to talk about them) Quite a few across the pond.

Artos
05-17-12, 21:58
What is the point of a $15k bull pup?? Nothing but paper can tell the difference between .2 & .7

Dead is dead...

I don't begrudge anyone for their gun disease choices but I don't see the application to make such claims with said design?? Just odd to me.

If you can shoot 5, 5 shot groups consistently under the clock with moving backer, then there are trophies to be had with a .2 gun.

orkan
05-18-12, 00:22
You don't have to preach to me.

I didn't buy one. I bought a DTA.

Yet the tune you are singing is all to familiar. Some guys like to drive a corvette that goes 180mph. Some guys like to drive a prius. The speed limit is 65 right? What do you drive?

You see no reason for it. Others do. Howling about the uselessness of it is begrudging those that may find it useful. If you owned one, you could give a first hand account of its capabilities and actually be credible in your opinion.

but...

You DON'T own one, and thus have no personal experience to share. So instead you decide to chime in with the "you don't need that shit" argument? Not exactly fruitful.

I won't even get into the short sightedness involved in not seeing the huge advantages of running a bullpup. Take a look around chief. The DTA's are ruling the roost these days. For this gentleman to question if there may be even something better is only natural and expected. I sure as hell don't fault him for checking it out. AT 1500yds, .7moa vs .2 moa can mean the difference between a miss or a hit.

Just realize that your level of participation in precision rifle work isn't everyone's level. Some take this shit real seriously. Others drive a prius.

M4Guru
05-18-12, 06:41
I did two months with a foreign military CT unit that used the DSR in .338LM. I was smitten with the gun, and the fact that those pompous rich bastards had an unlimited supply of .338LM for me to shoot.

Their guns were factory duracoated in 3 color desert and were capable of firing .338LM, .308 Win, and .300WM with the conversion kits. All wore Zeiss Hensoldt scopes and had some type of European suppressor whose name escapes me after 5 years. My one complaint was the bipod, it was like it was on ball bearings, and had no resistance whatsoever. It was very sensitive and I would have preferred to have some way to lock or tighten the bipod (or use an Atlas...).

I don't know if it was .2 MOA because this unit's snipers were very HR focused and never shot past 300M, and primarily only shot at distances supporting assaulters in an urban environment. I took it out to 1500M and it was sub-MOA but due to the desert conditions (IE windy as hell all the time) I couldn't get the best read on its mechanical properties due to environmental conditions. When I zeroed it at 200M it was .4-.5 MOA.

That gun was solid, and was a marvel to look at. Ever piece on it was perfectly manufactured and engineered, like a $250,000 Hublot timepiece. As far as the cost to performance ratio I'm not sure if it's there with some of the newer stuff available but it certainly didn't suck...

Artos
05-18-12, 07:43
I don't know if it was .2 MOA because this unit's snipers were very HR focused and never shot past 300M, and primarily only shot at distances supporting assaulters in an urban environment.

This was what I thought since the company felt the need to market such accuracy claims. Having played the short benchrest game for a decade and getting a grasp on what is really needed to achieve, I'm assuming they had to justify a cost of a one shot, one kill 'tactical' gun that is more at home hitting steel plates than paper??

~~~~~~~

orkan,

stop getting in my head...i'm curious about the op's find.

I have customers who buy rare English doubles and mint antique winchesters that cost more than my house. They have their reasons for 'needing' their poison and I hope the dsr flies off the shelf. I am just trying to figure out who their customer base would be other than those with lots of throw down money...it is a unique build indeed.

However, it seems like a hard sell if I add logic combined with an assumed application.

VooDoo6Actual
05-18-12, 08:55
redacted.

VooDoo6Actual
05-18-12, 08:58
redacted.

taliv
05-18-12, 12:43
I never got to handle the gun but I tried to buy one in the early 2000s. I believe they were about $8k right before i got interested and then the dollar dropped precipitously against the euro and they stopped importing them. Bad timing on my part. Oh well.

My only point is that a substantial portion of the obscene price probably reflects global macro. Doesn't mean the importers think its twice as good.