PDA

View Full Version : Pleasant Hill Super pails

Icculus
05-17-12, 15:21
Ok, maybe this is a stupid question but has anyone ordered any of the grain/bean super pails from Pleasant Hill Grain? I want to think I'm just reading it wrong but from their descriptions they make it sound as if its a bucket with a mylar bag in it as a liner but the mylar bag isn't actually sealed. It reads like while it has O2 absorbers they are using the lid of the buckets as the airtight seal instead of having the O2 absorber and product actually sealed inside the bag with iron, heat gun etc. For those who may have ordered from them am I just having a window licking moment and reading it wrong or do they really not seal the bag? From their website:

Convenient & safe storage: Our long grain white rice comes in six-gallon buckets (or pails... another word for the same container), containing 44 lbs. net weight. When you store rice at home, it needs to be protected in a couple of ways. First, it needs to be protected from a variety of little critters who'd like to get to it before you do. Weevils and rodents, for example. You also need to protect your rice from picking up excessive additional moisture, which can be drawn from the atmosphere. The buckets our rice comes in provide full protection against these storage risks. They have airtight gasket-sealed lids, Mylar liners, and oxygen absorber packets that remove the oxygen from the air in the bucket after we put the lid on. The O2 absorbers leave an atmosphere of nitrogen in the bucket (because air is mainly oxygen and nitrogen.) Our buckets safely lock out pests, and biological processes are put "on hold" in the Mylar protected, oxygen-free nitrogen atmosphere, so your rice enjoys complete peace and quiet until you want to use it.

Vic303
05-18-12, 08:34
Not sure on the PH buckets, but I don't think it really matters. Even if you purge and seal the mylar bag inside, as soon as you open it to begin using it, you have just compromised the contents. It's no different than if the Super Pails have unsealed mylar inside. The mylar is likely used more for a barrier between the plastic (which can absorb odors and chemicals) and the contents.

Icculus
05-18-12, 09:47
Have to disagree; its very different. Yes once you crack open the mylar bag to use the contents then yes its open to contamination as you say. But what if you don't open it for 4 years? If the bag is sealed its protected for those 4 years. If the bag isn't sealed from the get go then it's really not protected from the very beginning as the buckets by themselves are somewhat gas permeable and not completely air tight.

I just saw on another forum where someone had called them and PH said they sealed the bags. But as the wording on the website is somewhat confusing at this point I'm really just looking for someone who has ordered one of these from them and can verify that yes they are sealed correctly.

Vic303
05-18-12, 15:07
Since I buy the foods in bulk, and mylar/bucket them with O2 absorbers and a drawn vacuum on my own, I can't tell you if the cost of a Superpail is worth it or not. You could call them yourself and ask if they seal the mylar first, or you could just buy one, and find out for certain.