PDA

View Full Version : What 2 blades am I looking for?

bsmith_shoot
05-18-12, 13:22
Im just getting into the knife world, and have a few questions? I'm looking for two knives, a folder, and a fixed. Both will be work horses, used daily. I am a fan of the thumb hole for opening, and not the stud. They need non-serrated blades, drop point preferably, and small enough to conceal, but big enough to work with. They will also be used as a secondary defensive tool. What are some good options? What am I looking for?
Thanks,
Brandon

I should add, I cut a lot of boxes, tape, rope, and plastic. In my work environment, I could run into about anything.
Thanks again.

ZoneOne
05-18-12, 13:28

Edit - you clarified as I posted.

For a standard folder with a drop point I have had great success with Spyderco. Good brand, not to expensive. You can get one of these for under $40... Spyderco Tenacious G-10

While this may be too much blade for your task, it might also work great. I've used mine for camping, survival schools both military and civilian and it's held up GREAT : Ontario RAT-5 with a linen micarta handle.

bsmith_shoot
05-18-12, 13:31
I edited at the bottom, its for very general uses, boxes, rope, plastic, door frames, wooden pallets, etc.....

Ironman8
05-18-12, 13:35
For me, any folder will do since I will not use a folder as a defensive tool unless as a last resort. Really, in my case, I would carry a folder to do the "office work" so that I don't have to disclose the fact that I'm carrying a concealed defensive blade.

As for fixed blade, I see this as a secondary, and sometimes primary, defensive tool not used for "office work". It needs to be concealable and fast in deployment. Look up the Tracker Dan Bloodshark if you haven't already...probably one of the best defensive blades out there that is built from the ground up as a defensive blade!

Now I just need to get some real training in proper blade deployment...

bsmith_shoot
05-18-12, 13:42
I was looking at Esee for a small fixed blade, to be carried IWB. Strider is looking good for a folder. Im looking for some more good options to entertain.

ZoneOne
05-18-12, 14:53
what's your price range?.... obviously if you're considering Strider, you're well beyond Spydercos. ;-)

bsmith_shoot
05-18-12, 15:33
Well, ive got an upper on EE, for sale. I am taking partial trades for knives, but if I have to put on a cash amount, I would say no more than 400 for both knives.

Ironman8
05-18-12, 15:40
Well, ive got an upper on EE, for sale. I am taking partial trades for knives, but if I have to put on a cash amount, I would say no more than 400 for both knives.

If that's your budget, I would look into the Bloodshark without a doubt!

bsmith_shoot
05-18-12, 18:36
The folder would see the most use as a tool, the fixed would be CC'd. I want a folder thats tough as nails.

bsmith_shoot
05-18-12, 18:37
If that's your budget, I would look into the Bloodshark without a doubt!
Whos the maker?

mrosamilia
05-18-12, 22:07
Tracker Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bsmith_shoot
05-18-12, 22:49
Whats the price on the blood shark? The Esee Izula's are looking good, how would they stack up?

Ironman8
05-18-12, 22:54
As was said, Tracker Dan is the maker, he's a former SEAL. Contacting him is apparently quite a chore, but I need to put an order in myself, so we'll see.

The price is $250, but you get a sheath that is just about the best sheath I've seen for a concealed, defensive blade, as well as a training knife (no edge or point) so that you can actually train with the same design that you're going to carry.

Here's some info for you: http://www.firearmstrainingandtactics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1665

As far as Bloodshark vs. Izula, I'm sure that you could make the Izula work for you, as you probably could with a few other blades out there, but like I said, the Bloodshark is built from the ground up as a defensive knife, and the versatility of the sheath just can't be beat IMO.

SW-Shooter
05-19-12, 00:07
Good luck finding almost any Strider for under $400.00.

Country DeVil
05-19-12, 00:48
I have an emerson commander that I carry all the time. I have the wave and it works better than I thought it would, its a lot like having a fixed blade in my pocket even though its a folder.

WARRIOR84
05-19-12, 17:12
The CRKT M16 series of folders are like tanks ive carried one for over 5 years and it has taken any abuse i have thrown at it

bsmith_shoot
05-19-12, 20:25
Is the Benchmade 9100 sbt a good daily carry work knife? I have a trade offer on the table, and im liking the look and specs.

3 AE
05-19-12, 21:06
The folder would see the most use as a tool, the fixed would be CC'd. I want a folder thats tough as nails.

Do you happen to know if Kentucky has a limit on the length of blade that you can carry concealed? That could be the determining factor on what brand and model that could be recommended for you.

bsmith_shoot
05-19-12, 22:09
No limits. KY's a carry 'em if ya' got 'em state, within reason I guess. It doesnt matter, I just ordered an Izula 2 earlier today.

Do you happen to know if Kentucky has a limit on the length of blade that you can carry concealed? That could be the determining factor on what brand and model that could be recommended for you.

cervantes
05-22-12, 05:25
Since your looking at strider take a look at
Zero Tolerance ! Its a brand of knives made
By kershaw and strider ! I have and carry the
ZT 0350 which is a great knife... As for fixed
Blades I suggest looking at the custom/hand
Made knife market ive seen alot if really nice
Custom fixed blades go for $150.00 shipped
I just got a polaris model from scott gossman
And its a good little knife I also have his psk
Model which is about the size of the izula !
But made out of O1 tool steel instead of 1095
Carbon steel I believe he sells them for under
$100.00 !

Cervantes

1_click_off
05-27-12, 21:44
This is what I carry. Love it. Holds an edge really well. If you shop around you can get it for about 160-180.

http://www.almarknives.com/sere-2000-black-blade-p-57.html

Jim D
06-13-12, 08:42
As was said, Tracker Dan is the maker, he's a former SEAL. Contacting him is apparently quite a chore, but I need to put an order in myself, so we'll see.

The price is $250, but you get a sheath that is just about the best sheath I've seen for a concealed, defensive blade, as well as a training knife (no edge or point) so that you can actually train with the same design that you're going to carry.

Here's some info for you: http://www.firearmstrainingandtactics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1665

As far as Bloodshark vs. Izula, I'm sure that you could make the Izula work for you, as you probably could with a few other blades out there, but like I said, the Bloodshark is built from the ground up as a defensive knife, and the versatility of the sheath just can't be beat IMO.
Thanks for sharing that link.

Dan is the man behind the Bloodshark, for sure.

I did that article with him a while ago, and since then we've become very good friends and I'm starting to help him with production.

Dan can be tough to get a hold of, but if I can help answer questions for anyone about the Bloodshark, let me know.

Thanks,
Jim

jonconsiglio
06-13-12, 10:11
Good luck finding almost any Strider for under $400.00.

I see SnG folders for $300 and under all the time, slightly used. I see fixed blades like the EB/DB you and I both have, the DB-L, SA, SA-L, etc., for the high $100's or very low $200's slightly used. A new SnG is about $400 to $450 or so while the SMF starts at $475 or so and goes up to $550 for the GG or CC like I have below. The fixed blades I mentioned all have an MSRP around $300 with gunner or frag grips.

I would really like a Bloodshark, but I have a few others I need first.

Right now I'm carrying an SMF CC for my folder and a Strider EB/DB or DB-L for my fixed blade. The EB/DB is primarily for defensive use or weapon retention, though it's 3/16" s30v with a short taper to the point, so it'll pry better than most in a pinch. I carry the DB-L in my bag or on my belt depending as well.

I typically don't like hollow grinds, but the recurve of the EB/Db seems to be pretty effective for defensive use.

For strictly defensive use, the Bloodshark will be a good choice./DB and hopefully a GG G10 side for the SMF. We'll see.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7085/7331065902_e3f4535e9d_c.jpg

Should have some GG grips soon for the EB

JBecker 72
06-13-12, 10:56
My every day knife is the Zero Tolerance 0350, great knife at a reasonable price point. I really want a Strider fixed blade though.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/hownowbrowncow_02/Gear/IMAG0140.jpg

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

JML2321
06-18-12, 22:31
For a tough folder I would recommend a Spyderco Paramilitary 2. It has been very tough and I use it daily to cut boxes and open things and it has stayed sharp and also comes very sharp new. If you want a slightly bigger version get the Military.

Here is a review of it.
http://youtu.be/_zc7wesmuA4