PDA

View Full Version : Buffer tube placement over buffer retainer

RUDY850
05-18-12, 19:37
was installing a vltor a5 iemod kit

the vltor buffer tube is only coming over the shoulder just enough to keep it from popping out.Im thinking this could be a problem but not sure.

I have 3 different buffer tubes and they all come over the shoulder and almost up to the post on the retainer. so thats why I'm concerned about it.

I did call and spoke to someone at vlotor about it. I took some measurements over the phone to what they say it should be.
the spot that i was measuring is suppose to be 1.000 /tolerance of 40 thousand the measurement was at 0.966 at the lowest point.

The guy at vlotor said it is still in spec but if i did not fill comfortable with it that he would send me a tag to send it back for them to look at.He also said that he would look at some of the rifles that they have made up using that buffer tube and call me back.

He called back and said that those tubes(a5) don't come over the shoulder as far as the normal tubes do.

Im going to send it back to have it checked but if there all like that?

What do you think problem or not

devinsdad
05-18-12, 21:43
If it does the job of keeping the detent down, than it's really not an issue. Sounds like you are a little OCD about your rifles. Thats alright...I am to. You would always be thinking about it, so it's best to go ahead and send it back to Vltor and see what they can do. You could always take it 1 more turn in and use a rat-tail file to lengthen the slot for the post. Nice that Vltor offered to take a look instead of just telling you "it's alright" and letting it go.

GTifosi
05-18-12, 21:44
Thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=103888) of possible interest.

squeethebee
05-18-12, 22:11
If it does the job of keeping the detent down, than it's really not an issue. Sounds like you are a little OCD about your rifles. Thats alright...I am to. You would always be thinking about it, so it's best to go ahead and send it back to Vltor and see what they can do. You could always take it 1 more turn in and use a rat-tail file to lengthen the slot for the post. Nice that Vltor offered to take a look instead of just telling you "it's alright" and letting it go.

I think going in one more turn would also cause the buffer tube to stick out of the lower up top and not allow the upper to fit on.

I certainly agree that it is nice for a company to actually about customer concerns though.

ed

eternal24k
05-18-12, 22:36
It either retains it or not, that's how I look at it.

RUDY850
05-18-12, 23:02
Thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=103888) of possible interest.

Yes. mine is just like that

Jester67CA
05-18-12, 23:10
It takes very little to keep it down. The buffer tube will be held in place by a torqued down castle nut. I've never seen one wiggle its way out of place.

Sticks
05-19-12, 05:51
Mine is the same way. No issues.

Brahmzy
05-19-12, 11:21
I've got A5 tubes installed on all of my ARs. Each and every one barely covers the shoulder compared to my std CAR tubes. No issues yet.

RUDY850
05-26-12, 02:50
I ended up just filing it down to get one more rotation out of it.Took it to the range and it all works good.Sure does shoot softer then the regular set up.