PDA

View Full Version : S&W 1911 E series slipping?

awmp
05-19-12, 19:08
I have purchased three (2, 1911SC Round butt and 1 1911CT full size) E Series 1911s in the past month.

All three 1911s are having to go back to S&W. I can't get more than 25 rounds without have serious issues. Failure to feed (double and single feed issues) and failures to eject. I have tried four different brands of magazines and several different types of ammo, all with the same results.

I have 7 M&P pistol and no issues. (bought several under their Military Program, great program)

I called S&W twice to ask some questions. The first person I got on the phone after being on hold for 37 mins, told me he was a revolver guy and could not help, but I could send it in. I decided to give it another few tries but the same results. So..I called S&W customer service again, 40 min hold and got a customer service rep that made it sound like I was bother him. So..back to S&W they will go.

Are they producing too many too fast? I know 1911s are made in another location. (no adult supervision?)

Very disappointed.

duece71
05-19-12, 19:50
This is sad to hear and I hope is a case of getting "one of the few" (or in your case, 3). I thought S&W fixed the problems with the E series. I shall steer clear and get the Colt I have been wanting. I hope it gets resolved quickly for you.

DontCome2MyHouse
07-17-12, 18:41
My full size S&W E Series has been 100% reliable so far. It has a born on date of April 12, 2012.

Richard Heinie
07-24-12, 09:17
Ditch the mags. I just had a new E series come thru my shop and the mags are marginal. Get some Wilson or Shooting Star Mags.
These mags appear to be the same as Sig is using. Same deal.

BOOMER72
07-24-12, 09:35
My full size S&W E Series has been 100% reliable so far. It has a born on date of April 12, 2012.

+1 except for born on date 3/12:D

Sigmax
07-27-12, 08:02
The last group I saw working they were using Wilson ETM's and 47d's. Maybe that will help.

M&P45
08-03-12, 08:35

Ditto. Mine is from June 2011 and has about 4500 rounds through it without any issues. I have used Check Mate, Wilson and Act mags. I prefer the Checkmate Hybrid feed lip mags but all three feed reliably.

I have had two Wilson 47D mags field strip themselves when hitting the deck. Both mags had the follower and spring partially eject from the top of the mag after ejecting empty mags.

To be clear I did replace all of the springs early in the pistols life. Everything but the sear spring are wolfe. The sear spring is a Colt part. Still I had no issues with the stock springs. Just did the swap as a precautionary measure based on issues others had had.

Sorry to hear of your issues. I hope this isn't a trend.