PDA

View Full Version : First try at 100 yrds!

Kodiak
05-19-12, 20:03
I've not shot any appreciable distance in a very long time. So while out at the range today I decided to give 100 yrds a try. After sighting in with my non-magnified red dot. I shot this 30 round group. With my eye sight the way it is, I was pleasantly surprised. I now have 1240 rounds (give or take 20), through it. Not a glitch yet! Oh BTW, that is a 3x5 index card I was aiming at at 100 yrds. I understand that I have lots more to improve but I figured this was a good start.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa53/Kodiakco/Firearms/100yrds-1.jpg

Kokopelli
05-19-12, 20:15
Great start.. 100 yards with no magnification is tough for old guys like me as well. Here's mine using the 9mm and Burris reddot.. Cheers.. Ron

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii309/Hohopelli/DSC08218.jpg

dahoeb
05-19-12, 20:18
Not bad with a red dot! My first try looked a lot like yours, though I think I was a little more spread out. Oddly enough, I usually do better with iron sights.

currahee
05-19-12, 20:47
That looks like all of them would be in an IPSC a-zone. That isn't bad shooting, especially if you were standing.

slowkota
05-19-12, 22:09
Whats "Standing Supported"? Just curious.

Thats roughly about what I was getting out of my M&P15OR with WPA bulk (wolf) 55gr ammo and Vortex SPARC red dot @ 100 yards standing (paced fire).

I also shot a constant 1 MOA @ 100, when I had my 1-4x burris XTR optic, with 69gr Fed ammo, off of a bag on a bench.

But getting "Minute of Man" at 100 yards with a red-dot sight out of a government contoured factory barrel is GTG in my book!

bp7178
05-19-12, 22:19
XM193 out of a SR15E3 with a 2moa Aimpoint T-1.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/roguedemon/XM193100Yards1.jpg

Kodiak
05-19-12, 22:54
Whats "Standing Supported"? Just curious.

Thats roughly about what I was getting out of my M&P15OR with WPA bulk (wolf) 55gr ammo and Vortex SPARC red dot @ 100 yards standing (paced fire).

I also shot a constant 1 MOA @ 100, when I had my 1-4x burris XTR optic, with 69gr Fed ammo, off of a bag on a bench.

But getting "Minute of Man" at 100 yards with a red-dot sight out of a government contoured factory barrel is GTG in my book!
I don't know the "correct" term, but I was standing and leaning my elbows on the bench. I don't have the steadiness yet to shoot standing at 100 yards unsupported. From what I'm seeing a lot of you guys are much better than I am! I'm noticing too that the 3 MOA dot covers about a third of the 3x5 card I was aiming at. I'm actually a right handed, right dominate eyed shooter. I now have reduced vision in my right eye so I switched to left handed, left dominate eye! I used to shoot ambi with a pistol but am now "stuck" shooting lefty. I also found thru using the the On Target program that I'm shooting about an inch to the right. So I have to either verify my zero or make sure I'm aiming correctly. Thanks everyone for the positive comments, it's greatly appreciated.

Kokopelli
05-19-12, 22:57
I'm going for a cataract repair consultation on the 27th. My shooting eye as well.. Ron

Kodiak
05-19-12, 23:08
I hope it works for you. I had my right eye lens replaced just so they could find out that I have some optic nerve damage in my right eye! Oh well, I just deal with it and do the best I can. Wish my eyes were 20 again! :D Something else I noticed is that I'm able to "preload" the stock trigger before it breaks. I may have to get a different trigger to get better groups at 100 yrds. I really do want to get better with the stock trigger thou.

Kokopelli
05-19-12, 23:23
I hope it works for you. I had my right eye lens replaced just so they could find out that I have some optic nerve damage in my right eye! Oh well, I just deal with it and do the best I can. Wish my eyes were 20 again! :D Something else I noticed is that I'm able to "preload" the stock trigger before it breaks. I may have to get a different trigger to get better groups at 100 yrds. I really do want to get better with the stock trigger thou.

Thanks... I added a Geissele SSA-E and it's wicked. I won't be using it on the 9mm, but I have no doubt it'll help on the target host.. Ron

http://geissele.com/supersemi-automaticenhanced.aspx

bp7178
05-19-12, 23:50
You can't really switch your eye dominance. For long shots, even with a RDS, I typically close one eye. It's also very easy to get eye fatigue, especially if you have an out of date Rx or other eye problems. I find some relief just taking a few seconds away from the optic and focusing on a distant object.

I would suggest getting into a good supported posistion, either off of a rest or prone. You can make long shots standing, but it is far from ideal.

Kodiak
05-20-12, 00:03
My eye dominance was switched for me when I lost partcial vision in my dominate right eye. I have no choice but to use my left eye now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

slowkota
05-20-12, 00:14
I don't know the "correct" term, but I was standing and leaning my elbows on the bench. I don't have the steadiness yet to shoot standing at 100 yards unsupported. From what I'm seeing a lot of you guys are much better than I am! I'm noticing too that the 3 MOA dot covers about a third of the 3x5 card I was aiming at.

By all means, I didn't mean or intend to imply any disrespect on your group, eyesight, equipment, or shooting ability.
I was just curious as to what you defined as standing "supported" (different variations ie: sling, barrier... etc, honestly I don't know the correct terms either lol)

As I said before, repeatable shots hitting "Minute of Man" is good to go with a red-dot sight.
Remember, an RDS is not a meant for precision accuracy at longer distances... they're for fast, close quarters acquistion!

Kodiak
05-20-12, 00:19
I didn't take it as any disrespect at all, but thank you for clarifiying.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

bp7178
05-20-12, 08:33
My eye dominance was switched for me when I lost partcial vision in my dominate right eye. I have no choice but to use my left eye now.

That's not really what eye dominance is as it relates to shooting. There are techniques to shooting if you're cross dominate, but obviously your issue is more with having vision problems with one eye.

Either way, I think you'd be better served getting into a good shooting posistion. Elbows on the table while standing bent over at the bench sounds very unstable.

Is there a reason you can't get into a sitting or prone posistion?

currahee
05-20-12, 08:44
If you're really looking for improvement on that shooting I would suggest finding an Appleseed shoot. They have helped a lot of people improve their "traditional" rifle shooting. It is a good place to start any shooters education (after safety of course)

backspur
05-20-12, 08:56
If you're really looking for improvement on that shooting I would suggest finding an Appleseed shoot. They have helped a lot of people improve their "traditional" rifle shooting. It is a good place to start any shooters education (after safety of course)

I second this. Even as an "experienced" shooter, it helped me tremendously with the fundamentals.

Kodiak
05-20-12, 09:30
That's not really what eye dominance is as it relates to shooting. There are techniques to shooting if you're cross dominate, but obviously your issue is more with having vision problems with one eye.

Either way, I think you'd be better served getting into a good shooting posistion. Elbows on the table while standing bent over at the bench sounds very unstable.

Is there a reason you can't get into a sitting or prone posistion?
Exactly! I understand what your saying about eye dominance. Besides firearms, I've also shot archery. As far as position goes, I didn't even think about trying either of those.

I've also been thinking of the Appleseed Project too. They have one a couple of hours away from me. I'll have to to look into it further. I'm also looking into a local Carbine class too.

Thanks everyone for the tips and ideas to help make me a better shooter.

Hehuhates
05-20-12, 14:34
I've not shot any appreciable distance in a very long time. So while out at the range today I decided to give 100 yrds a try. After sighting in with my non-magnified red dot. I shot this 30 round group. With my eye sight the way it is, I was pleasantly surprised. I now have 1240 rounds (give or take 20), through it. Not a glitch yet! Oh BTW, that is a 3x5 index card I was aiming at at 100 yrds. I understand that I have lots more to improve but I figured this was a good start.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa53/Kodiakco/Firearms/100yrds-1.jpg

What is this software your using where do i "click to learn more"?

Kodiak
05-20-12, 14:53
At the very bottom left of the pic. Ontargetcalc.com

Hehuhates
05-20-12, 15:02
Thank you

skyugo
05-20-12, 15:04
Great start.. 100 yards with no magnification is tough for old guys like me as well. Here's mine using the 9mm and Burris reddot.. Cheers.. Ron

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii309/Hohopelli/DSC08218.jpg

not bad.. it's pretty neat how well 9's fly even at longer ranges.