PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find a waterproof first aid kit?

blasternank
05-19-12, 20:32
Looking for one for a boat.

Thanks.

mallowpufft
05-19-12, 20:52
Either check a boating supply store or assemble your own and throw it in a pelican case or the like. Walmart sells small waterproof boxes that would easily hold an individual kit for about $15.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

ST911
05-19-12, 22:28
Buy or assembly a kit that meets your needs, and throw it in a dry bag or zip-lock. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.

badness
05-23-12, 18:37
https://www.google.com/#q=waterproof+first+aid+kit&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=jXS9T67SBLLPiAKF35HUDQ&ved=0CMwBEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=26a1bebd406df936&biw=1280&bih=895

USAFPararescueDoc66
03-10-13, 10:17
Put your med kit into a Pelican Container. Extremely durable and water proof to 50 meters (I believe) might have to check into that one.

chuckman
03-10-13, 10:22
I have an otter box, basically same as Pelican. Aloksak works, too...boating places, camping stores...they should all have options.

streck
03-13-13, 12:56
AMK: LINK (http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/products.php?catname=Ultralight%20/%20Watertight&cat=3)

Rhutch
03-23-13, 19:17
I use a vacuum sealer, and seal everything in small individual use quantities then use a regular bag. The problem I find with a waterproof case is if you're using it in a wet environment soon as you open it stuffs going to get wet.

interfan
03-24-13, 23:24
Put your med kit into a Pelican Container. Extremely durable and water proof to 50 meters (I believe) might have to check into that one.

If you are down to 50 meters on a boat, you got bigger problems than a first aid kit can solve.

To the OP: Your first aid kit + ziplock bag = waterproof kit. Skintop911 nailed it.

Vash1023
03-24-13, 23:27
ziplock?????

but seriously, look up some of the otterbox dry box cases for bigger items.

or the pelican's

fyrediver
03-29-13, 19:06
I second Aloksaks if space is important like in a kayak or small sail boat. They work very well.

I also second building a kit that fits your needs and training. Build the kit, put each type component in a ziplock for organization and mild weather protection, and then put them in a waterproof box.

Both Otter and Pelican boxes are totally waterproof and very rugged. Either have great reputations.

blade_68
03-30-13, 01:00
Back when I carred a CLS bag I'd zip lock bag IV sets. so when needed just grab one and have whats needed worked well for me then, low cost. about any sealing box or bag should work for a case. It depends on the boat size you are packing for speed boat, kayak ? that way you can tune the kit for your needs, most "box store kits don't have much "needed" gear. Adventure Med has one for about any type of trip and group size. I carried and used one in Balklands with added gear.
Skintop911 said it the best.Buy or assembly a kit that meets your needs, and throw it in a dry bag or zip-lock. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.

tb-av
03-30-13, 08:16
The rubberized dry bags work great. They can be floatable as well. Mostly just by air trapped inside but if you pack a lot you could clip a float to the D ring and or buckles. Pelican cases are obviously more durable but hold a lot less.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OPO4P2/ref=asc_df_B001OPO4P22449090?smid=A2B2TXVNKFJH7I&tag=sdcbing593-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B001OPO4P2

But be sure you get the rubber coated ones. Not that thin see-through stuff. BTW, these roll up or down to make them smaller or full size. You just keep folding the reinforced upper edge. So it's always sized to fit tight on whatever load you put inside.

YO_Doc
04-07-13, 19:07

Well said, I was thinking the exact same thing.

NinjaMedic
04-08-13, 21:36
Make sure you throw tourniquets (plural) in. The most common "real" injury we see on the water is prop strikes and we have a a number of people bleed out before we get there.

jbjh
07-06-13, 20:52
If a hard case isn't to your liking, a roll-top drybag is as good as it gets on top of being more durable than ziplock. Get the clear reinforced w mesh and you can see what you're after without dumping the whole thing

pinzgauer
07-06-13, 21:29
For marine environment I'd package in Aloksaks even if using a waterproof hardcase.... Spray, humidity, etc.

Ask me how I know! (more than one spoiled marine "waterproof first aid kit).

I now keep pills in super tiny Nalgene jars with dessicant, etc.

If you are using single serve pills, then you need Aloksaks for sure. They will deteriorate just from humidity alone.

Gauze does not appear that sensitive, but other 1st aid items also will spoil from humidity.

Fav truck/camp setup now is a brit PLCE med pack/ouch that was intended to zip onto their pack. Not waterproof, but rain proof. Holds what I want, and I used the tiny nalgene's trick for medicines. Size of a large metro phonebook.

I lean toward otterbox over pelican in the smaller sizes, better seal. Larger sizes the pelican's have the advantage.

BruceLeroy
07-15-13, 01:32
+1 for the Pelican case and several tourniquets.

TunaFisherman
07-15-13, 02:26
Pelican case is what I use on rafting trips or hiking.
On my larger boat I use this http://www.walmart.com/ip/20563442?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

SteveL
07-15-13, 13:19
Assuming you don't need the rugged protection of a hard box like a Pelican case, then throwing your kit into a small dry bag would be ideal IMO. Dry bags are fairly durable on their own. They're also inexpensive and you can pick them up at most any sporting goods place like Dick's or Academy. Or just order one from Amazon.

Armati
07-19-13, 22:05
I would avoid buying a pre-made kit of any type.

Build your kit up based on likely scenarios and your level of training. Then you just need to put in some sort of waterproof box. I like a Pelican case.

I would also recommend making a few boxes for triage - emergency trauma, boo-boo, supportive care, meds, ect.