PDA

View Full Version : M&P .45 as reliable as the M&P .40

tb1911
05-19-12, 21:08
I am a huge M&P fan and generally carry a FS .40. I know how well tested, durable and reliable it is. I've personally put way more rounds then I can count through them under many conditions and they are utterly reliable.

While I have an M&P .45 and shoot it as well as the .40, because of the greater capacity and faith, I tend to carry the .40 pretty exclusively.

I find myself going to surrounding states with silly 10 round capacity limits, and I have been carrying the .40 with 10 round magazines more and more. I am thinking switching to the M&P .45 for carry all the time - invest more training, etc. in it.

The M&P .45 I have now is an early one and I did have some issues with it with light primer strikes. Since then I have read about issues with magazine springs which I believe is resolved.

For those of you with more experience with the M&P .45, any feedback on how it compares to the .40 for reliability and durability? Any known issues? Know of any serious reliability tests? For me, reliability under adverse conditions is #1.

Let me know!

CoryCop25
05-19-12, 21:49
In the past 4 years I have owned 5 M&Ps. The full size 40 was the only one that ever gave me problems. I got rid of my FS40, FS 45 and the 40c and still have my 45 mid and FS 9mm. I would say that the 45s will be most reliable.

DocGKR
05-19-12, 22:39
The M&P45 is extremely reliable.

However, in your situation, just get an M&P40c to compliment your M&P40 fs and you will have solved your problem...

RogerinTPA
05-20-12, 09:45
I have one of the earlier M&P45s and it has been extremely reliable for me through a wide variety of ammo, Wolf included. The only issue when I first got it, was a broken striker, when dry firing without snap caps. I sent it to S&W, they fixed it and sent it back within 3 days. I haven't have a problem since. As far as accuracy, out of the 4 M&Ps I own, the edge goes to the 45.

tb1911
05-20-12, 19:31
The M&P45 is extremely reliable.

However, in your situation, just get an M&P40c to compliment your M&P40 fs and your will have solved your problem...

I have the compact also, but I shoot the FS versions better. I was thinking that if I am restricted to 11 rounds, the bigger the better as I shoot both equally with full power ammo.

Maybe it is so insignificant a difference, it doesn't matter.

Tennvol12345
05-20-12, 21:40
I have a 45c that I last cleaned and lubed 22,000 rounds ago and it has had nothing but dirty lead reloads through it. I moved from a 45c to a 9FS for ccw and figured it would be a perfect time to do an endurance test.

So far so good, still kicking with no maintenance, ie cleaning or spring changes

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Watrdawg
05-21-12, 11:38
I'm shooting the 45 Mid and have only one issue. That was with Hornady 45 Steel Match ammo. I had FTE issues with this ammo in a class. Fortunately so did other people in the class with different weapons. One of the instructors asked to try the ammo and he had problems. I let others shoot it and they did also. So this had to be an ammo issue. Other than that no problems period! I've put about 5K rounds through it and 4 classes in a year now.

Mauser KAR98K
05-21-12, 17:05
Is the .40 M&P as reliable as the .45FS M&P?:p:D:D

mark olindale
05-21-12, 23:12
I find that the M&P45 is just as reliable as the M&P40. I think the M&P45 would be a great carry choice.

Dos Cylindros
05-22-12, 01:03
My duty gun is a FS M&P 40, my HD/nightstand gun is a full size M&P 45 and my off duty CC gun is an M&P 45C. All three have been 100% through thousands of rounds (sorry I don't keep count). I can regularly ding steel plates at 100 yards with all three, so they are all accurate enough for me. That being said, I like my 45's the most.

Ratfink
05-22-12, 11:12
my fullsize m&p45 works great its the longer barrel with the tan frame.

ghostrider1
05-23-12, 13:16
I haven't had a problem yet out my mid sized m&p 45. Even after 1000 rds, no issues. I just had an apex fss trigger kit installed and I am excited to start putting rds down range with it now.

maximus83
05-23-12, 17:52
I've also been very satisfied with the accuracy and reliability of my 45 mid-size. It's the most accurate of any M&P pistol I own (others are all 9's), and I've had zero malfs. I don't carry it currently, but that's only because I prefer the recoil of the 9 and the lighter weight of the 9c model. But I would have no problem carrying the 45 mid-size.