PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Sig guys. Slide and frame swapping 9mm P226

samuse
05-19-12, 21:12
I have a new MK25 that I really like but there are absolutely no holsters available for it.

I also have a line on a new German P226R frame that came with the old style stamped slide.

Would there be any issues to simply put the MK25 slide on the P226R frame so that I can have a holster?

Do they require any fitting or saftey/function checks I'm not aware of? I'm not an armorer...

oddballmkg
05-20-12, 01:11
I'm not that familiar with a lot of the newer Sig stuff. But I have used my old P226 9mm slide assembly, the old style carbon slide on to a newer P226 that used the one piece stainless slide and it was originally chambered in .40 cal. And I worked fine. I would take the slide off of each pistol, and then hold the slides and then frames next to each other and see if there is any difference that you can spot between the two of them. If they look the same, I would swap the slide out. And after making sure the gun is unloaded, I would do a function check to make sure every thing is working correctly, like the decocker, trigger bar disconnector where it rides in the slot on the slide and then make sure the hammer function correctly. If you have dummy rounds, I would even cycle a few though the gun and make sure its working. This is just a guess, but I bet there is no difference between the two of them other than the finish and rail that is milled into the front section of the frames

Mjolnir
05-20-12, 06:05
What's the difference in the frames?

samuse
05-20-12, 07:40
What's the difference in the frames?

The German frame has Sig's rail on it, the MK25 has a Picatinny 1913 rail.

Mjolnir
05-20-12, 11:08
Gotcha.

nanners83
05-20-12, 12:14
Why not just use the stamped slide?
Am I missing something?

kmrtnsn
05-20-12, 13:30
"Sig's rail"?

The only rail I have ever seen on a SIG is a P rail, SIG was late coming to the rail party. As long as you get a "R" holster, you'll be fine. The distinctions for SIG holsters are DAK hammers and Rails, and trigger guards on the P228/9's. Make sure what ever holster you get is cut for one, the other, or both as needed.

nanners83
05-20-12, 13:39
"Sig's rail"?

The only rail I have ever seen on a SIG is a P rail, SIG was late coming to the rail party. As long as you get a "R" holster, you'll be fine. The distinctions for SIG holsters are DAK hammers and Rails, and trigger guards on the P228/9's. Make sure what ever holster you get is cut for one, the other, or both as needed.

Sig has actually used three different rail formats. The first was a proprietary rail cut into the standard dust cover. The second and most common is close to Picatinny and will accept most accesories. The third is the real Picatinny spec that is on the Mk25 and Combat models.

Here's a link with pics of the first and second types.
http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/18260-sig-p220-p226-p220-carry-size-difference.html

OP - As far as I remember there should not be any problems. Just do a function test before firing to verify proper working order.

kmrtnsn
05-20-12, 13:55
Sig has actually used three different rail formats. The first was a proprietary rail cut into the standard dust cover. The second and most common is close to Picatinny and will accept most accesories. The third is the real Picatinny spec that is on the Mk25 and Combat models.

Here's a link with pics of the first and second types.
http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/18260-sig-p220-p226-p220-carry-size-difference.html

OP - As far as I remember there should not be any problems. Just do a function test before firing to verify proper working order.

I checked my P229R against a small section of P rail. If a holster is cut for an "R" SIG, then fit for a "real P rail" SIG isn't going to be an issue, retention devices used in holsters don't lock on the rail section, usually the trigger guard and ejection port, depending on mfgr and model of holster. If getting a holster cut for a particular light, say M3 or TLR, there may be some fitment issues, perhaps a little snug or loose where the holster rubs against the light but I don't see it being a problem.

SkiDevil
05-21-12, 00:01
I have a new MK25 that I really like but there are absolutely no holsters available for it.

I also have a line on a new German P226R frame that came with the old style stamped slide.

Would there be any issues to simply put the MK25 slide on the P226R frame so that I can have a holster?

Do they require any fitting or saftey/function checks I'm not aware of? I'm not an armorer...
What kind of holster are you looking for? Material: leather/ kydex?

purpose; open carry/ exposed or concealed?

samuse
05-21-12, 22:45
Kydex. For match/range/class.

My MK25 comes to a dead stop when the dustcover gets into a kydex holster.

kmrtnsn
05-21-12, 23:49

A Kydex holster molded for what? Who made the Kydex holster? As posted previously, holsters cut for regular/old-school SIGs will not work with "R" SIGs. My previous agency learned the hard way when R SIGs showed up to fit into a butt-load of holsters cut for old-school SIG's. We still have issues with agents buying old-school P228/9 holsters and try to stuff P229R's into them.

Kydex Holsters saving grace is that there is little that cannot be fixed with five minutes and a heat gun.

SkiDevil
05-22-12, 22:29

Check your area for any local holster makers.

When I first bought an HK P7 I could not find a holster, so I took the pistol to them and had one made (leather). My understanding is that Kydex holsters are easier to produce. I recall seeing an article somewhere on how to make one yourself it may have been SWAT magazine.

If all else fails check you local gunshops for a holster for a 1911 type pistol with a rail that may work. Maybe something like an STI or a SIG 1911 with a rail, something on the blocky side may work.

If you decide on leather saddle soap can be used to help stretch-out the holster.

Good luck,
SkiDevil

p.s. I personally think that it would be more practical to have a holster made than buying a different frame.

samuse
05-23-12, 00:09
A Kydex holster molded for what? Who made the Kydex holster? As posted previously, holsters cut for regular/old-school SIGs will not work with "R" SIGs. My previous agency learned the hard way when R SIGs showed up to fit into a butt-load of holsters cut for old-school SIG's. We still have issues with agents buying old-school P228/9 holsters and try to stuff P229R's into them.

Kydex Holsters saving grace is that there is little that cannot be fixed with five minutes and a heat gun.

A holster molded for a P226R by Comp-Tac.

nanners83
05-23-12, 07:45
A holster molded for a P226R by Comp-Tac.

You'll probably have to contact some holster makers to see who can make one for it. Lack of availability of holsters is a pretty common complaint with the true picatinny spec railed Sigs.

I do remember hearing of a few guys taking a file to their P220/226R holsters and making it work though.

Here's a few threads I came across while researching the Combat series. These holsters should work for you also since they have the same style rail and trigger guard.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_14/120916_P220_combat_holster_that_works__.html
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=130711

The Garrett Silent Thunders are nice but a bit more expensive than a standard kydex holster.

nanners83
05-23-12, 07:51
Just to clear things up on the rail differences here's a pic.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/dlchan/DSC09804_DLCsP220StainlessCombat.jpg

The trigger guard comes out a little farther on top also.

anubismp
05-28-12, 19:37
I have a really old stamped slide sig and a newish 226 tactical and I know the 22 conversion slide and the 40 slide don't fit but I can swap the barrels between my two 9 slides and it will still function.