PDA

View Full Version : collapsible stock removal

DavidBTurbo1
05-20-12, 07:21
The castle nut on my LE6940 is locked together with the original assy plate. It looks like the four small notches on the assy plate side have been punched to create a locking notch. What is the best way to remove these without damaging the weapon. I am trying to add a single point sling assy plate. The wrench I am using is 3 prong and will not budge the castle nut. This is the 2012 model colt if that may be of any help. Thank you all very much!

Eric
05-20-12, 08:11
There should be two spots where the end plate is staked to the receiver extension nut (castle nut). Its just a small amount of metal that has been peened. The staking is defeated simply by spinning the receiver extension nut off, but it will take a bit of force. The best plan is to secure the lower in a vice, with the use of a vice block or similar. I've had good luck with the Hammerhead tool, which engages all four notches on the nut.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Tools/IMG_8333.jpg

agr1279
05-20-12, 12:17
The Hammerhead tool is a great design. I can't count the number of times I've had a spanner wrench slip on me.

Dan

MistWolf
05-20-12, 14:08
If you notice, the Hammerhead also machined to accept a breaker bar for added leverage and control

KVAR
05-21-12, 00:01
I performed this same task this past weekend to my brother's Colt 6940. At the suggestion of Grant at G&R tactical, I bought the hammerhead version 2. It worked great, but I did have to use a half inch drive ratchet to get enough force to loosen the nut. I highly recommend an extra set of hands, as the hammerhead can be difficult to keep flush with the castle nut. Also, the extra person is great for making sure the receiver extension stays properly aligned when you tighten the nut. I cleaned the receiver extension threads and applied some grease before re-assembly, and torqued the nut to 40 ft-lbs. As always watch out for those springs. Also, make sure you separate the end plate from the receiver before you try to back the receiver extension out of the lower. I'm sure you already know all of this, but I'm a newbie and it was a learning experience.

AMMOTECH
05-21-12, 17:07
Watch this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDJ8t10nLA0 You can start @ the 2min mark.

Smuckatelli
05-21-12, 20:57
When you re-assemble it, make sure that the buffer tube holds in the buffer spring retaining pin.

I was the RSO at Quantico two weeks ago and someone installed one point sling assy plate...it was a little thicker than the plate that the rifle came with.

It was a mother to clear that weapon.

The guy insisted that the round wasn't fired, the round wouldn't eject because the BCG couldn't go back. The case was being pulled by the extractor but it couldn't clear the barrel extension. By the angle of the case, either the round was fired or the bullet was forced into the case. I ended up forcing the BCG home with the forward assist and only then was I able to break it down. The buffer pin retaining spring was sticking out, the buffer pin retainer was crammed into the trigger housing.

C4IGrant
05-21-12, 21:07
We break down BCM and Colt staked castle nuts on a daily basis. The Hammerhead is our tool of choice.

C4

alex71
05-22-12, 06:19
I agree. We had a hard time removing my friends on his colt because of the staking.