PDA

View Full Version : SA M1A -- What's the consesus?

RyanS
08-27-06, 20:29
Went to the range couple of weeks ago and had the opportunity to shoot anothers fellow's M1A. I have to say that this gave a very deep sense of satisfaction...it was something entirely different from AR and my AK. I don't know if was the recoil or the size of the round or the fact that I felt that I was able to really reach out there. Anyways, since that time, I cannot get the rifle out of my head. My funshop conveniently just got a SA standard M1A and I'm really tempted by it. This would mainly serve as a range gun...just to go and shoot holes and plates from the bench out to 300 yards. Might also be used for the occassional side match. Generally just a fun gun. But I would like the peace of mind knowing that it could also serve in a pinch should my other "go to" guns poop out.

I've read both good and bad about the SA rifles...complaints mainly about cast receivers, cast bolts, extractors, op rods, etc. The cast receiver doesn't get me worked up as all the other manufacturers use cast receivers aside from LRB (which is way out of my price range). Nothing comes to mind as far as reading anything about receiver and bolt breakage. The only complaint that I've read about the receiver is that its not to completely true to original specs and therefore there may be problems mounting optics. As I don't intend to do this, I am not that concerned. The main is issue is extractor breakage. However, aftermarket forged extractors are available and there are still GI bolts around as well, although not as cheap as they once were. I've also read about guys shooting thousands and thousands of rounds with nary a problem. I also like the idea of SAs lifetime warranty.

So my question to you all is how you feel about the M1A. Is it GTG?

TOrrock
08-27-06, 20:57
Don't worry about a cast bolt, the bolts that Springfield uses are commercial, but they are forged. There will be a draw # on the bolt with an F on it which tells you that it's forged.

The extractors are the main issue. You can pick up a GI extractor for $10.00 or less and replace them.

Springfield ran out of GI barrels, so they are using Wilson barrels on their standard builds. They're good quality, but they are not chrome lined....not a big deal.

You're right about the receivers, they're fine.

One thing about Springfield Armory is that they do back up their products.

Everyone needs a "real" rifle......;) ........and an M1A is certainly a real rifle. :cool:

I'm a fan of the Standard and the Scout more than I am the Loaded, National Match or the SOCOM.

RyanS
08-27-06, 21:22
Don't worry about a cast bolt, the bolts that Springfield uses are commercial, but they are forged. There will be a draw # on the bolt with an F on it which tells you that it's forged.

The numbering on the bolt on this particular rifle begins with an "A", which I thought meant that it was cast. I read somewhere that SA used three types of bolts, cast, bar stock, and forged. "A" being cast, "B" being bar stock, and "F" being forged. Assuming this is the case and assuming that forged or bar stock are better...I don't know if this is true but one would think...should I just wait and see if a rifle comes in with a forged or bar stock bolt. All things being equal, this rifle is very very nice. The receiver to stock fit is tight, there is no side-to-side play with the op-rod. It cycles smoothly. Trigger is very nice.

Is the cast bolt, if in fact that's what it is, a deal breaker?

TOrrock
08-27-06, 21:28
The numbering on the bolt on this particular rifle begins with an "A", which I thought meant that it was cast. I read somewhere that SA used three types of bolts, cast, bar stock, and forged. "A" being cast, "B" being bar stock, and "F" being forged. Assuming this is the case and assuming that forged or bar stock are better...I don't know if this is true but one would think...should I just wait and see if a rifle comes in with a forged or bar stock bolt. All things being equal, this rifle is very very nice. The receiver to stock fit is tight, there is no side-to-side play with the op-rod. It cycles smoothly. Trigger is very nice.

Is the cast bolt, if in fact that's what it is, a deal breaker?

From what I understood, Springfield tried cast bolts about a decade ago and went back to GI and commercial forged bolts. I'd have to take a look at the bolt.....I've been out of the business for 9 months but at that time they were shipping rifles with forged bolts.

I'd be uneasy using a cast bolt with a 7,62 NATO round.

blaster22
08-28-06, 11:48
Go for it. Learn the proper greasing of the bolt, rails, and other contact surfaces. Keep the gas cylinder nut tight without buggering it up. Any minor problems can be easily fixed with G.I. parts. Was shooting mine yesterday at 300 and 500 yards (Smith scope mount with big-ass Leupold). Mine shoots 2 1/4 inches at 200 yards. On a good day, I can break 1'' at 100. Beware: you are entering another area of addiction!