PDA

View Full Version : Action Spring and Buffer Weight for a Middy

frogger
05-20-12, 21:32
My current AR is an M4gery. It is running a 14.7" barrel with a pinned flash hider. I run an FA BCG, H Buffer and a standard carbine action spring. It has a carbine length gas system and it has been 100% reliable so far. I an now building a new AR that will be a Middy. I plan to still use a standard carbine action spring and a FA BCG. Do I need to adjust the buffer weight to make it reliable? If so, do I need to go heavier or lighter?

wahoo95
05-20-12, 21:45
Try each and stick with the one that functions best. There's no set standard so you're best to do a little trial and error

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

frogger
05-20-12, 22:17
Try each and stick with the one that functions best. There's no set standard so you're best to do a little trial and error

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I was just hoping for a good starting place. I don't currently have any spare buffers and I have to order one for this build. The only complete AR I have is my M4gery so the H is the only one I have at the moment. I'd like to not have to order one of every weight if I can avoid it. It seems like since the Middy is supposed to shoot a bit softer, a lighter buffer would be right but I was hoping for some confirmation.

straightsilver3
05-20-12, 22:33
I have 2 middy's, One 16" I use a spikes ST T2 and springco blue spring my second is 14.5 BCM and I'm using a H2 and springco blue Both are flawless

Quentin
05-21-12, 00:27
I'm running an H2 in my BCM 16" midlength. If you're talking a 14.5 middy then maybe an H but it really depends.

BufordTJustice
05-21-12, 01:13
Springco BLUE and an H/H2.

Iraqgunz
05-21-12, 01:54
Your question is vague, since you haven't told us what barrel you will be using. I have shot middies that would use an H, H2 and even H3. They also cycle reliably with the Vltor A5 as well.

Generally speaking from the various models I have fired, you can probably do H and H2 without issues. A blue Springco should work. Ultimately, if you are trying to fine tune this, you may have to spend a few dollars on the extra parts. I would also suggest that you attempt to fire mutliple ammo types as well.

frogger
05-22-12, 20:43
Your question is vague, since you haven't told us what barrel you will be using. I have shot middies that would use an H, H2 and even H3. They also cycle reliably with the Vltor A5 as well.

Generally speaking from the various models I have fired, you can probably do H and H2 without issues. A blue Springco should work. Ultimately, if you are trying to fine tune this, you may have to spend a few dollars on the extra parts. I would also suggest that you attempt to fire mutliple ammo types as well.

This is the upper I plan to use for this build...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-BFH-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Daniel-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20ddl12.htm

BufordTJustice
05-22-12, 22:09
Yeah I used to own a std BCM 16" middy upper (with FSB) with that barrel.

H2 and a Blue will most likely be GTG.

If you want to truly optimize it, go with a Vltor A5 system (~$100 for the tube, spring, castle nut, RE end plate, and buffer). I will never run a carbine buffer system again after trying the A5.

Brahmzy
05-22-12, 23:15
Yeah I used to own a std BCM 16" middy upper (with FSB) with that barrel.

H2 and a Blue will most likely be GTG.

If you want to truly optimize it, go with a Vltor A5 system (~$100 for the tube, spring, castle nut, RE end plate, and buffer). I will never run a carbine buffer system again after trying the A5.

This.

Iraqgunz
05-22-12, 23:16
I have to agree with Buford. Get the A5 and you will never want a carbine set up again.

This is the upper I plan to use for this build...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-BFH-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Daniel-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20ddl12.htm

dhena81
05-24-12, 02:56
I run an A5 on all my AR's now days carbine and midlength all work flawlessly. Personally I think it is one of the greatest improvements one can do to a collapsible stock AR, better than running heavier buffers springs ect. I have no worries of bolt bounce and its a smooth operation my 16" midlength recoil almost feels like a 20" rifle.