PDA

View Full Version : KAC ambi lower with sling question

simonsez
05-20-12, 21:50
I have a KAC ambi lower that I just purchased. I am set on a single point sling.(Most likely PIG drop slider) I'm looking for advise from anyone that has used the QD swivel attachment point on the side of the KAC lower receiver.
Does it get in the way of operating the safety?
Can you cross shoulder transition with it?
Is there the possibility of accidentally disconnecting from the weapon when you dump the gun to transition to your secondary?

Thanks in advance. I've been reading on this site for a long time and have learned a lot!

kdcgrohl
05-21-12, 08:57
The sockets are far from an ideal position. Most don't use them, and KAC has said in the past that they will be deleted from the lower when inventory is depleted. Personally, I think it gets in the way of operating the safety effectively.

If you want a QD at the rear of the receiver, use the Tango Down PR-4 or the Noveske end plate.

jonconsiglio
05-21-12, 09:05
I had two SR15's and never warmed up to the receiver attachment points. I just run an end plate (ASAP for a while, but I got over that and went back to the QD end plate from noveske).

I'm assuming this is a 16" rifle since you just got the lower and obviously haven't had time to SBR it (unless you bought it that way). Have you run a single point before? I'm all for using the gear you need for what you're doing, but a single point on a 16" rifle is not the most comfortable thing. If you're not working inside of structures or vehicles, there's very little reason to run one. If you mount an adjustable two point like the VCAS at the barrel nut and end plate, you'll have a good bit more comfort and almost as much maneuverability.

I still keep a single point around for very specific needs, but even when working from a vehicle with my 10.5", I've gone back to and prefer two point slings. I use the VCAS.

I see the appeal for a single point, but if you don't have a very specific need for one, it has no real benefit, especially if you're moving around with the rifle. For all I know, you may kick doors daily and be very used to a single point, so I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just giving you some friendly advice from my personal experience.

The KAC lowers are high quality and the two stage trigger is nice as well. Enjoy it. I wouldn't waste time with the QD sockets on the receiver though, the just get in the way for me. My preference, as I mentioned above, is the noveske QD end plate. Works like the ASAP but lower profile when not in use.

JMFM0911
05-21-12, 09:13
doesn't bother me, but i don't have very large hands.

davidjinks
05-21-12, 09:15
I have a KAC SR-15 and have not been able to effectively engage the safety with a QD sling mount installed in the lower. I've tried about 4 different QD loops to no avail.

I'll second what Jon has said...QD end plate.

I run my slings with a forward QD sling mount (Daniel Defense) and then run my sling through my stock. Not the most ideal way but it works for me.

Army Chief
05-21-12, 09:21
The QD sockets on the KAC receiver are undeniably long on innovation, but surprisingly short on practicality. They certainly look like they open up a wide range of possibilities, and most of us have tried -- enthusiastically -- to employ them in various ways, only to end up settling on solutions that leave both sockets empty.

It was/is a great concept, but just not the sort of thing that translates well into any of the operational modes that the creators (and end users) might have envisioned. I respect the fact that KAC took a chance on them, even if I also have to give them the nod for recognizing that the end result probably is something less than revolutionary.

Retrotfit a Noveske QD receiver end plate, stake the castle nut while you're at it, and call it a day.

AC

JW1069
05-21-12, 21:36
Our customers with those KAC lowers have basically said the same things mentioned above so OP is on the right track. What you want is a mount that clears the sling out of your way during manipulations and there are better solutions out there. If you do get the Pig slider, you'll have a choice of various "Pigtails" too (webbing, HK hook, and QD swivel).

I don't recall if this M4C member's department uses the PIG slider for their single points (they issue both a single and two point sling), but there's discussion on the mount here, https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1311581#post1311581

simonsez
05-21-12, 21:49
Thank you all for your comments. That's kind of what I figured. I am not a door kicker and the upper is a 16". I have not had a sling on either of my ar's so no experience with one. I research and read a lot before I buy anything so it's nice to hear all your opinions. I never liked the asap's I saw because of the noise factor, but liked the versatility. I like the Noveske QD endplate and MANY people love the VCAS...hmmm maybe it's a sign.