PDA

View Full Version : Changing calibers and/or lengths...

Brahmzy
05-21-12, 15:49
Ok so, have the laws changed or are we still ok to change a caliber and/or length from the original form 1 registered paperwork, WITHOUT having to resubmit or notify? Is it still "optional" if I wish to notify them of a caliber/length change on any given form 1 registered lower?

Also, it's fine as long I keep the intact original upper with the original length(in this case 10.5") - i.e. I always have to have the original length on-hand unless I submit for a permanent length change, correct?

Hope that makes sense.

Iraqgunz
05-21-12, 17:03
I am pretty sure that the wording from BATFE is "permanent" change. So unless you PERMANENTLY change something then you are good. There is no need to cart the original upper along unless it makes you sleep better.

Ok so, have the laws changed or are we still ok to change a caliber and/or length from the original form 1 registered paperwork, WITHOUT having to resubmit or notify? Is it still "optional" if I wish to notify them of a caliber/length change on any given form 1 registered lower?

Also, it's fine as long I keep the intact original upper with the original length(in this case 10.5") - i.e. I always have to have the original length on-hand unless I submit for a permanent length change, correct?

Hope that makes sense.

alex71
05-21-12, 19:47
You are good. From how I read it, you can change the length and cal anyway you like.

ace4059
05-22-12, 01:54
One question concerning barrel length is how accurate should the length of the barrel be on the Form 1 compared to actual measured length?
One example is, on the form 1, for barrel length is stated 12.5" So after you get your tax stamp back, then you order a 12.5" barrel. But when you receive the barrel and you measure it, the length is really 12.0"
So is the .5" something that will cause problems later on? Should you just leave it alone, or should you send in a letter making a change to the tax stamp on barrel length?

Iraqgunz
05-22-12, 02:28
Too much thinking. No one cares once the stamp has been issued.

One question concerning barrel length is how accurate should the length of the barrel be on the Form 1 compared to actual measured length?
One example is, on the form 1, for barrel length is stated 12.5" So after you get your tax stamp back, then you order a 12.5" barrel. But when you receive the barrel and you measure it, the length is really 12.0"
So is the .5" something that will cause problems later on? Should you just leave it alone, or should you send in a letter making a change to the tax stamp on barrel length?

alex71
05-22-12, 06:11
^^ what he said. All the ATF cares about is that you have a tax stamp for it.

Todd.K
05-22-12, 11:18

The ATF requests you notify then of a permanent change.

Key here is the "requests", and "notify". Not required, and unlike the Form 1 you notify them after it's changed.

Brahmzy
05-22-12, 11:23
Thanks for the responses all. As I figured.

Jer
05-22-12, 11:36

Did the ATF get their $200? Then you're good.