PDA

View Full Version : New gun not loading next round.

StephenG
05-21-12, 16:09
So took my new gun out shooting yesterday for the first time, it;s a palmetto lower. Can't remember the brand of the upper but the gun store said it was a good brand. It will fire the first round an eject the shell then just click. I tried both my mags(20 rd and 40rd) and it still did it. I was shooting PMC ammo.
Any ideas? The shop I bought it from isn't open til tomorrow so trying to get some ideas before I take it back there.
Thanks,
Stephen

AKDoug
05-21-12, 16:43
There is absolutely no way to diagnose your issue without more information.

RD62
05-21-12, 16:43
Need more info.

Is the bolt carrier cycling at all?

If it feels relatively normal, it may be short stroking but it's impossible to tell without more info.

StephenG
05-21-12, 16:54
Yes the bolt is cycling. Just not picking up the next round.

AKDoug
05-21-12, 17:13
Barrel length?
Gas system length?
buffer spring and buffer type?
Any clues on what brand of upper?

P2000
05-21-12, 18:26
Does it lock back on empty?

Iraqgunz
05-21-12, 18:37
To the OP,

I posted a sticky. It's called "My AR is malfunctioning now what"? https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=85863

In order to help you we need more info. Let's refrain from posting anything else and muddying the waters until the OP comes back and gives us more. Also, not sure where in AZ you are, but I am in Phoenix so if you need someone to really look at it, send me a PM.

StephenG
05-21-12, 19:05
Yes it does lock back when its empty. I'm in Lake Havasu. I'm going to be taking it back to the shop I bought it from tomorrow. I'll get the rest of the info on the gun too then.

StephenG
05-21-12, 19:11
It is a frankengun also lol. Here's the ammo I used. 40 rounds thru it. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Ammunition/Rifle-Ammunition%7C/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104532480/PMC-Bronze-Line-Rifle-Ammunition/731863.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-ammunition-rifle-ammunition%2F_%2FN-1100190%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104532480%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104792580%253Bcat104691780&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104792580%3Bcat104691780%3Bcat104532480

Is there a way to see what type of buffer is in it?

StephenG
05-21-12, 19:16
It's a DTI 1x7 556 nato. 16" barrel

The shop sold me .223 Remington ammo for it, so would that be my problem?

Ramone
05-21-12, 19:22
outside of the possibility of a bad batch of ammo (pretty rare, IMX) the PMC shouldn't be an issue.

While .223 is generally loaded to lower pressures than 5.56, it should still cycle.

It is possible that brand new (stiff) upper + not enough lube (or not enough in the right places) might equal short stoking, even with good ammo.

2arkba
05-21-12, 19:44
I think I'm a

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7008/uniqueandspecialsnowfla.jpg

Iraqgunz
05-21-12, 19:50
Then you should have sent the upper back and asked for a full refund. I have been delaing with BCM on these boards and as a person for close to 5 years.

In that time I can truly count any real issues on one hand. Considering the amount of stuff they put out that's impressive.

Iraqgunz
05-21-12, 19:56
You have a Delton upper- they are mediocre and far from top notch. The buffer is marked on the face- if it is a carbine then it will be plain, from there it will be marked H, H2, H3.

Get a good magazine (New USGI or Magpul) and then try it. 40 rounders are usually unreliable and 20 rounders can be as well.

Make sure that your AR is wet.

It's a DTI 1x7 556 nato. 16" barrel

The shop sold me .223 Remington ammo for it, so would that be my problem?

polymorpheous
05-31-12, 08:33
Try running a Google search on Delton.
Do we all have to spoon feed all these new members? Really?
The information is out there.
Look for it.

As far as your engine analogy goes, it is completely useless.
You put oil IN an engine, not ON it.
How many QUARTS does yours take?

Please stop posting and arguing with subject matter experts.
(How many armorers course have you completed?)
Start reading the stickies, you may learn something.

C4IGrant
05-31-12, 08:33
On what basis? Plenty of people have del-ton uppers that run fine.

They are not considered a KNOWN good quality AR builder.

Many people eat McDonalds food. That doesn't mean it is any good. ;)

C4

Failure2Stop
05-31-12, 10:07
As far as lubing, don't over do it as suggested above. You don't pour oil all over your engine when it needs oil so why would you do the same on a gun. Only the contact points need lube, everything else is a waste.

This is incorrect.
All moving parts need to be lubricated, including (if not especially) the gas rings.

Wetter is better.
The DI system naturally blows lubricants away from the parts that need it the most, a heavy coating ensures that the lubrication is replaced over a longer firing duration than a light coat. It also helps provide a barrier between the fouling and underlying material, making cleanup easier/faster. Further, a well lubricated BCG will operate with lower friction, thereby running smoother and with less wear.

But none of this is new information.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TacMedic556
05-31-12, 11:26
OP-

Listen to Iraqgunz and F2S. That is all you need to know.

Ignore the ramblings and babblings, of others.

The guys on here such as those mentioned have exhaustive experience in these matters and are a valuable resource for those of us humble enough to inquire.

Wiggity
05-31-12, 11:46
OP-

Listen to Iraqgunz and F2S. That is all you need to know.

Ignore the ramblings and babblings, of others.

The guys on here such as those mentioned have exhaustive experience in these matters and are a valuable resource for those of us humble enough to inquire.

Follow this advice OP.

2arkba clearly does not know what he is talking about.

Failure2Stop
05-31-12, 14:40
I suggest not posting here about your allegedly sub-par gun that according to some here will fail on you if you ever try to use it for personal defense.

Every time someone posts about a problem they are having with their gun, the chest-puffing armorer egos show up and claim they are the only ones capable of fixing it...

This entire post is eye-rolling drivel.
I didn't see anyone claiming that they were the only ones capable of rectifying the issue. I do acknowledge that some were overly enthusiastic on their condemnation of some brands, but again, the assertion that it will fail if used to defend life was only introduced by this post. The overarching issue with these sub-TDP guns is that they exhibit a much higher rate of failure than properly constructed and tested weapons. That is not on an individual basis but rather failures noted per model/brand. No company is exempt from the possibility of turning out a bad gun, and neither are they unable to produce a few that work well despite their sub-standard pedigree. This is not based on the observation of one or two guns, but that of hundreds or thousands of different individual items. Trends noticed; guns not built or tested to TDP fail with greater regularity than those that are.

Again, this is nothing new.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

nabO
05-31-12, 15:46
Can't remember the brand of the upper but the gun store said it was a good brand.

You just learned your first lesson about gun stores the hard way...

Iraqgunz
05-31-12, 17:07
I realize that your feelings are still hurt from the BCM thread, but that doesn't change the facts. I also told you that if you were unsatisfied with your upper then you contact Bravo Company again and return the upper or ask for resolution.

Then you make a veiled jab at them and accuse them of "bubba gunsmithing".

On what basis?

Intransigent
05-31-12, 18:35
OP, sounds like you have a good plan.

Not to join the dog pile here, but actually you do "pour oil all over the engine when it needs it" All the f- over... An engine is lubricated internally where contact occurs to reduce friction: piston rings to bore, bearings to crank, etc... Oil reduces friction (duh) but it's second function is to carry heat away from components that are exposed to combustion gasses or come close to each other. In fact the main and rod bearings never actually touch the crank, they ride a film of oil. An engine low on oil runs far hotter and suffers heat related failures far more often than one that is maintained properly.

I have been using the "really wet" method of lubricating my rifle since coming to the light, (and BCM incidentally, thank you LF and M4C) and the carbon doesn't stick to anything, the only stoppages that I have experienced thus far in 750 rds are when the magazine is empty or was ammo related. Contrast that with my past experience in the Marine Corps not to "over-lube" which created a coked up mother bitch cleaning session at the armory when it was time to turn in. IOW, know when not to talk...

I am going to take my own advice now and go back to lurking. Thanks to IG and F2S, I get a lot of good gouge from your posts.

C4IGrant
05-31-12, 20:12
I never learned to shut my suck.

Every gun manufacturers puts out lemons (as only GOD is perfect). With that said, you have to differentiate between the companies that do it by accident (once in awhile) and ones that do it on purpose (with every gun they make).

In regards to hitting things with a mallet, there was a show a few years back on the Military channel or History channel where they went into .Mil contract holders and showed how they built things. One episode was at FN. There was a scene where a lady was checking the barrel of an M16A2 for straightness. If it was off, she would whack it with a rubber mallet.

Point is, that sometime a hammer IS the proper tool for the job. ;)

C4

05-31-12, 20:38
Yeah, IG is a "self-proclaimed expert." He's worked on more military weapons than I have laid eyes on. I have it from a well-known military master armorer that he does know his shit. Oh, that and his advice here has been repeatedely verified by those that know. His knowledge here has has helped MANY by correctly verifing issues.

:nono:

Iraqgunz
05-31-12, 20:46
1. You did in fact use that term when you asked if they did some "bubba gunsmithing".

2. I am not a self-proclaimed expert. In fact, I am a professional who get paid to work on weapons, among other things. I have many years of experience in working on everything from pistols to heavy weapons. 5 of those years were spent in hostile environments where people carried those weapons in harms way.

3. Your continued sniping at Moderators and SME's is not beneficial to your remaining here. If you want to play games then you can head over TOS.

I simply made a deliberate effort to insult people while safely ensconced behind the anonymity of a screen-name.

C4IGrant
06-01-12, 08:31
I'd argue that god puts out quite a few lemons too

Sent from my iPhone using Fapatalk

LOL, uhm no.

C4

JSantoro
06-01-12, 11:18
I'd argue that god puts out quite a few lemons too

Okay, we're officially stuck on stupid, from a "viable thread" point of view.

yossarian42 here's no way in hell that something this off-topic and non-additive to a technical thread rated being submitted as a stand-alone statement. Much less by phone.

2arkba, when this thread gets re-opened, don't post in it again. You've been given a lot of leeway, and you've used it up. Trying to play The Last Word is a zero-sum proposition for you, so just go back to coloring.

Everybody else, stop quoting 2arkba and similar talented fools, please. *edited for unfairness*

Temporarily closed for remodeling. Pardon our dust.

EDIT: We'll give it another go. If you're new to the thread, read the OP's posts and feel free to provide helpful information related to them that's based upon real-world knowledge and not the unfortunate after-effects of a Derp-Derp Chromosome.