PDA

View Full Version : What's considered decent precision shooting

akela
05-21-12, 19:10
Shot with my Colt AR-15 from 100 yards at shoot-n-c 6" in diameter targets with iron sights (no optics). All shots are in 8 and 9 grouped within roughly 1.5" box. Is this good or bad? I know this is a high level question (good or bad for what purpose one might ask). Are there any type of criteria to judge this? What should I strive for here?

Ramone
05-21-12, 19:18
< 2" at 100yards, with Irons, I'd call good shooting.

How many to the group?

Is that 'throwing out the flyer(s)'?

akela
05-21-12, 19:20
about 7 shots.

Ramone
05-21-12, 19:25
5 is good, 10 is better.

With irons, I'd call that brag-worthy.

akela
05-21-12, 19:28
Are there anyt criteria for these things? Sort of like runners/swimmers are recognized for their timing

AKDoug
05-21-12, 20:04
Swimmers/runners only have themselves to blame.

With any machine involved sport/skill it is a combination of operator and machine. You can only shoot as well as the mechanical accuracy of your rifle.

I shoot my rifles off of a bench to determine the most accuracy I can expect out of my rifle/ammunition combination. I am happy with twice the size group if I'm prone using the magazine as a monopod (but I usually exceed this) and expect the same level of accuracy shooting prone off of a ruck or rolled up jacket.

Sgt_Gold
05-21-12, 21:12
Are there anyt criteria for these things? Sort of like runners/swimmers are recognized for their timing

Military standard for the M16\M4 is 3" at 100 meters with M855 ammunition. Most AR's will group about 2" with good (non M855) ammo. Match grade ammunition can drop an average rifle to around 1". Anything under 2" on a regular basis with iron sights is good shooting.

RogerinTPA
05-21-12, 21:31
Agree with the masses, it's good shooting at that distance. Now the self challenge is to practice to do that while ever increasing the distance. Calling your shots and adjusting to environmental & external factors, which are more and more a consideration, the farther out you go.

!Nvasi0n
05-21-12, 21:47
Just for S&G's I put my M&P redneck thunder maker (that's right a sport model) on a bench with machine rest. I've never accuracy tested this rifle, as it's usually fit doing drills at <50 yards with RDS only. Yesterday I utilized my EoTech 3X magnifier, walked 3 rounds in to zero. And shot 3-5 shot groups. Now, it's worth noting the rifle has 2,600 documented rounds...the last 600 were fired without cleaning, and 1000 of those rounds was with Tula Ammo. I did do a decent break in on the barrel, but since have only used an oily patch or Hoppe's # 9 to clean the barrel...nothing to fancy. And it's plenty dirty.

So, with my groups fired, slow shots with 1 minute cooling between shots using Privi Partizan Brass, I shot groups ranging from .627"- .846"!

I got the barrel toasty, then fired another 5 shot group and it was 2.25".

This isn't my go to battle rifle, nor is it my precision rifle. Just an overly equipped redneck rifle by most people's standard...oh and the trigger is standard GI too.

I look back on this and laugh every time with an EoTech XPS-2 and EoTech magnifier and ask why in gods name did I spend 2x the money in optics as I did the rifle, but after yesterday...I just don't care any more!

Do I trust my life with it like I would my other rifles, probably equally...would I grab it first if the SHTF? Probably not considering it's life of extreme mag dumps and lack of maintenance. Am I proud of it, hell yes I am! That's an outstanding group by anyone's standards! I've got a few bolt guns that don't do to much better with match ammo and 10x Optics.

Sorry I got of track, I was just excited about how well my POS sport did compared to my Colt (and soon to aquife DDM4V5 in about another 6 weeks so long as the dealer can locate). Ultimately I think any AR shooting .5-1" is outstanding and 1-2" is quite the norm and very acceptable... Some are better, some are worse. YMMV

AKDoug
05-22-12, 11:46
You should be very happy with your DDM4V5. It should be able to duplicate the performance of your S&W without cooling between shots. My V7 does.

duece71
05-22-12, 12:01
OP, in what position were you shooting? Standing? Sitting at a bench? Kneeling? Prone?