PDA

View Full Version : Reworking my Spike's ST-15

John Fritz
05-21-12, 20:48
I added a SP6920 and a ST-15 to my long gun collection last year. I made the decision to buy these two rifles before I was as familiar with them (and ARs in general) as I am now. My issue is that the guns are so alike (identical practically) that I'm thinking about modifying my Spike's a little bit. That's where I'd like some advice.

My ST-15 has a ridiculous low round count and I'm hoping to sell the take-off parts to finance some of the upcoming mods I'll make. I want to replace the 16" barrel with a 20" and install a mid-length gas tube. After that it'll be some optics but I want to start with the barrel first. Should I stick with OE parts from Spike's when I do this or use another manufacturer? Does anyone see a problem with doing something like this? Would anyone recommend that I do something different? If an issue seems incredibly obvious to you and I'm missing it then please let me know. In whatever manner you see fit. :laugh:

My biggest objective here is that I want to do something to differentiate my ST-15 from my Colt. The Colt stays as is.

I tried to get someone at Spike's to talk to me about this stuff but they don't show any interest. That's why I thought I'd ask you guys and gals.

Thanks all.

C4IGrant
05-21-12, 20:59
I added a SP6920 and a ST-15 to my long gun collection last year. I made the decision to buy these two rifles before I was as familiar with them (and ARs in general) as I am now. My issue is that the guns are so alike (identical practically) that I'm thinking about modifying my Spike's a little bit. That's where I'd like some advice.

My ST-15 has a ridiculous low round count and I'm hoping to sell the take-off parts to finance some of the upcoming mods I'll make. I want to replace the 16" barrel with a 20" and install a mid-length gas tube. After that it'll be some optics but I want to start with the barrel first. Should I stick with OE parts from Spike's when I do this or use another manufacturer? Does anyone see a problem with doing something like this? Would anyone recommend that I do something different? If an issue seems incredibly obvious to you and I'm missing it then please let me know. In whatever manner you see fit. :laugh:

My biggest objective here is that I want to do something to differentiate my ST-15 from my Colt. The Colt stays as is.

I tried to get someone at Spike's to talk to me about this stuff but they don't show any interest. That's why I thought I'd ask you guys and gals.

Thanks all.

20" barrels commonly have rifle length gas systems (no middy's).

If you are happy with ST components, then stick with them. If you want to try something else, look at BCM, DD, Noveske, etc.

If I may ask, what is the 16" barrel not doing that the 20" will fix?

C4

John Fritz
05-21-12, 21:11
... If I may ask, what is the 16" barrel not doing that the 20" will fix? ...
Oh the 16" is fine. I'm just trying to make the gun less of a cookie-cutter copy of the other...

C4IGrant
05-21-12, 21:19
Oh the 16" is fine. I'm just trying to make the gun less of a cookie-cutter copy of the other...

Another way to look at it is that you have a back up training gun. This is a good thing in the training world.

C4

Iraqgunz
05-21-12, 22:44
Have you considered building an SBR instead?

Odie Dozer
05-21-12, 23:03
My recommendation would be to sell the upper and buy a new BCM SS410 complete upper of your desired length. This would greatly differentiate the 2 rifles while not having to take apart and reassemble your current upper. :moil:

John Fritz
05-22-12, 19:48
Another way to look at it is that you have a back up training gun. This is a good thing in the training world.

C4
Hmmm, never looked at it that way. Makes me feel a little more satisfied about things.

Have you considered building an SBR instead?

Honestly, no. I don't know a whole lot about them at this point. I'm still a bit new to this genre of firearm.

My recommendation would be to sell the upper and buy a new BCM SS410 complete upper of your desired length. This would greatly differentiate the 2 rifles while not having to take apart and reassemble your current upper. :moil:

I just went and checked it out. Nice. That would be a perfect solution. And I could defray some of the cost by selling my existing upper too. Probably don't have a hundred rounds down the pipe.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Shiz
05-25-12, 16:07
Another way to go is a midlength gas system for your next upper. (if you sell your spikes) Arguably softer recoil, and more rail-estate. It will still serve well as your backup training gun and you might even start using it more than the Colt. ;)

Last upper i did was a BCM 14.5 middy with perm attached FH. It is now my fav trainer. I think it weights a little over 6 lbs.