PDA

View Full Version : Factory test firing

williejc
05-21-12, 21:09
Industry professionals, does anyone have information about the extent of factory test firing of new pistols before they're shipped? IMO, companies with high return numbers could reduce expense by spending more time and effort on this last step. One company guy that I wish not to name told me that they fire their new pistols 3 times and then ship if the pistols functions. Your thoughts?

skyugo
05-21-12, 21:11
Industry professionals, does anyone have information about the extent of factory test firing of new pistols before they're shipped? IMO, companies with high return numbers could reduce expense by spending more time and effort on this last step. One company guy that I wish not to name told me that they fire their new pistols 3 times and then ship if the pistols functions. Your thoughts?

if they have a high return rate test firing would increase their costs, as they have to pay for the test ammo as opposed to the customer.

C4IGrant
05-21-12, 21:16

First, we must divide pistols into two groups (LE and Commercial). To my knowledge, ALL pistols designated for LE use get test fired.

I also know that SOME companies do not test fire their commercial pistols at all. :no:

Companies that do not test fire or do very little of it, are simply rolling the dice that there aren't going to be any issues OR the customer won't actually shoot the gun. :alcoholic:

C4

loupav
05-21-12, 23:00
Companies that do not test fire or do very little of it, are simply rolling the dice that there aren't going to be any issues OR the customer won't actually shoot the gun. C4

Yup, it's much cheaper to have a hand gun come back for repairs, than to test first two or three mags out of the gun. I know it sounds small, but let's think about this. 3 mags worth of ammo X 300 guns = $$$$$$ Vs. The average person buying a gun there's a 50/50 chance of that person leaving it in the safe for years on end OR, just not shooting it enough to notice any problems.

VIP3R 237
05-21-12, 23:07
I was under the impression that all firearms sold in the US must legally be fired at least once to collect the spent casing for registration purposes where required.

Edit: I remember kimbers stating no spent casing included. So im assuming this means they do not test fire their pistols?

First, we must divide pistols into two groups (LE and Commercial). To my knowledge, ALL pistols designated for LE use get test fired.

I also know that SOME companies do not test fire their commercial pistols at all. :no:

Companies that do not test fire or do very little of it, are simply rolling the dice that there aren't going to be any issues OR the customer won't actually shoot the gun. :alcoholic:

C4

williejc
05-21-12, 23:24
Off the top of my head, I know of 4 companies that will pay air freight both ways. That's what--about $100.00--and the pistol then is processed by 3 or 4 people before being returned.

30 years ago, a Smith customer service director told me that they used statistcal guidelines to test X number of handguns per batch of N units. If problems were found within a "significant" number of the sample tested, then the entire batch was looked at. Their system permitted them to determine the section and fitters assembling the guns. Also, from the test sample, they could track parts and ID issues here.

I've shared my limited knowledge and have learned from your responses. Thank you.

CumbiaDude
05-22-12, 19:15
I was under the impression that all firearms sold in the US must legally be fired at least once to collect the spent casing for registration purposes where required.

Edit: I remember kimbers stating no spent casing included. So im assuming this means they do not test fire their pistols?I don't think it's a US law. I know a couple states need that (which is why Glocks come with the spent case in a pouch with the date and other info). But that's only if it is to be sold in that state. Another example would be how California requires (among 73,000 other things) that a handgun have a loaded chamber indicator. Not all guns need this, it's not a US, law, but a manufacturer would put it on any model of gun they intend to sell in California.

C4IGrant
05-22-12, 19:24
Off the top of my head, I know of 4 companies that will pay air freight both ways. That's what--about $100.00--and the pistol then is processed by 3 or 4 people before being returned.

No. Many companies have fantastic deals worked out with Fedex and UPS so pay a max of $14 (no matter if it is a rifle or pistol).

Also, some companies cough FN cough make the consumer pay for shipping. Since consumers cannot use USPS and must ship overnight via Fedex/UPS for a pistol (for instance), they can be looking at well over $120 dollars for a round trip to the factory. Many won't pay this and either attempt to fix the problem themselves or have a dealer fix it. More times than not, they unload the pistol at a gun show (to a poor unsuspecting buyer). :mad:

C4

Sry0fcr
05-22-12, 20:26
Manufacturers would do better do more R&D so that they don't have to inspect and test fire everything going out the door. Quality needs to be designed and built in, not inspected in after the fact. See Gen 4 Glocks...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Nemecsek
05-23-12, 12:14
Back in the day, some guns even came with a test target. That was always a neat thing to have. Not very useful since the ammo and distance were not always listed on the target. I think it was guns made in Europe that did this. I can remember a Walter PPK/S that came with a cool looking target with 3 holes. It makes me feel confident that they actually tried the dern thing rather than throwing it together with fingers crossed.

DrMoebius
06-10-12, 02:13
Back in the day, some guns even came with a test target....I can remember a Walter PPK/S that came with a cool looking target with 3 holes. It makes me feel confident that they actually tried the dern thing rather than throwing it together with fingers crossed. Walther still does it. My .40 PPQ was test fired 9/27/11.

balance
06-10-12, 06:12
Every Walther, H&K, and CZ I have owned has come with a test target.

I think all firearms manufacturers should do this.

Spiffums
06-10-12, 06:50
No. Many companies have fantastic deals worked out with Fedex and UPS so pay a max of $14 (no matter if it is a rifle or pistol).

Also, some companies cough FN cough make the consumer pay for shipping. Since consumers cannot use USPS and must ship overnight via Fedex/UPS for a pistol (for instance), they can be looking at well over $120 dollars for a round trip to the factory. Many won't pay this and either attempt to fix the problem themselves or have a dealer fix it. More times than not, they unload the pistol at a gun show (to a poor unsuspecting buyer). :mad:

C4

There are 3 or 4 good gun shops around me. I try to spend money and make a major purchase in each one if I can. This keeps me as a "regular" customer and I can drop in an shoot the breeze if I want to. What it also allows me if that I ever did get a bad gun, the dealer would be more than willing to help me out and send it back to the factory for me. So I would just have to pay his cost to ship the gun.

Just another perk of a good local shop.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-10-12, 08:48
I know Glock wasn't zeroing their guns about 5 years ago. They used some formula to average it out.

HK, from what I know, actually hand zeros their guns. They have quite a few front sights available. That Is why I usually use tool tech to put night sights in since they use the original sights if you ask.

CAVDOC
06-10-12, 08:57
while there may be some that I do not know about, the two big states (no fed reg on this at all) that had a requirement to submit empty cases were NY and MD. Both of those states finally saw the light that this expensive cumbersome system didn't do one thing to help solve or reduce crime, and have eliminated the law. I suspect just to streamline the process those companies that were supplying case still will. A lot of companies flatly stated were not going to do it- which back when the law was in force at the time resulted in a dealer having to take the gun to a state police testing center to have the firing done and cases cataloged. Except for some large shops who could do a bunch of guns at once,it resulted in a lot of smaller shops only selling guns that came with cases from the factory.
Some companies do more test fire than others- for example seecamp will not ship a gun until it will run flawlessly.

Lone_Ranger
06-10-12, 11:35
Back in the day, some guns even came with a test target. That was always a neat thing to have. Not very useful since the ammo and distance were not always listed on the target. I think it was guns made in Europe that did this. I can remember a Walter PPK/S that came with a cool looking target with 3 holes. It makes me feel confident that they actually tried the dern thing rather than throwing it together with fingers crossed.

I remember. Sig, Walther, and HK, used to put the test target, into the box.

Lone_Ranger
06-10-12, 11:39
HK, from what I know, actually hand zeros their guns. They have quite a few front sights available. That Is why I usually use tool tech to put night sights in since they use the original sights if you ask.

HK doesn't give you the test target anymore. But, they still test fire, and enclose two shell casings. My last few HK's had the, "Morlock" signature of approval, on the small envelope

Pistol Shooter
06-10-12, 15:47
HK doesn't give you the test target anymore. But, they still test fire, and enclose two shell casings. My last few HK's had the, "Morlock" signature of approval, on the small envelope

My experience as well. Morlock must shoot one helluva lot of pistols. :lol:

It's my understanding that all of HK's firearms are test fired and zeroed at the factory.

Some companies just test fire a certain percentage of their products.

CumbiaDude
06-10-12, 15:54
I know Glock wasn't zeroing their guns about 5 years ago. They used some formula to average it out.Could you give more info about this? :)

balance
06-10-12, 22:00
I know Glock wasn't zeroing their guns about 5 years ago. They used some formula to average it out.

I've heard that Glock exports their pistols with cheap adjustable sights so that they gain enough import points to be imported here, and when they get here, those sights are taken off and the factory non-adjustable sights are installed.

If this is the case, then this may be one reason why they are not zeroing the ones that are supposed to be imported here, at the factory.

Lone_Ranger
06-11-12, 10:25
My experience as well. Morlock must shoot one helluva lot of pistols. :lol:

Often wondered, if Morlock, thinks he has the coolest job in the world, or if he's bored with it... :cool: