PDA

View Full Version : M&P grip reduction

ruchik
05-22-12, 10:59
I'm looking into having the grip of my M&P reduced to make it more small-hand friendly. I'm thinking about sending it to a smith who actually removes the grip insert, fills it in with Acraglas or something similar, then grinds away at it, much like a Glock grip reduction. The only problem is, I JB Welded the grip tool in place because it kept working its way loose. I filled in the hole at the bottom of the frame where the grip tool slides into with JB Weld and stuck the tool in. The grip panel is still removable once the tool is taken off, however. Does anyone foresee a problem with this? I don't mind if the tool and insert are hacked off as I'll never use them again.

JSantoro
05-22-12, 11:07
You'd have to ask somebody that performs grip reductions. Here's one I'm aware of: http://firearmconcepts.com/

ruchik
05-22-12, 11:52
That is actually the very one I was going to send my gun to! I was asking just in case I wound up attempting it myself. I'm also somewhat reluctant to spend $160 for shipping both ways just to find out it won't work. :fie:

alex71
05-22-12, 14:45
Try it yourself? Has no one done it with an m&P yet?

Rattlehead
05-22-12, 15:23
I'm looking into having the grip of my M&P reduced to make it more small-hand friendly. I'm thinking about sending it to a smith who actually removes the grip insert, fills it in with Acraglas or something similar, then grinds away at it, much like a Glock grip reduction. The only problem is, I JB Welded the grip tool in place because it kept working its way loose. I filled in the hole at the bottom of the frame where the grip tool slides into with JB Weld and stuck the tool in. The grip panel is still removable once the tool is taken off, however. Does anyone foresee a problem with this? I don't mind if the tool and insert are hacked off as I'll never use them again.

You can't stipple arcaglas, so unless you like having a smooth backstrap area, then I would stay away from that method.

You are better off sending it to http://firearmconcepts.com/ as mentioned by JSantoro.

He is a member of M4C, Joeywhat is his username; he does great work on reducing M&P's.

Unless you know the exact epoxy to work with, and feel comfortable recontouring the whole backstrap area, then you are better off sending it out instead of possibly destroying your frame.

dirksterg30
05-23-12, 11:06
David Kenik had something similar done to his M&P 45: http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/featured_handguns_hg_customizingmp45_200808/

dougwg
05-23-12, 11:34

Just send it, we'll take care of it.

ruchik
05-25-12, 01:17
Sent it in today, will post pics when I get it back.

KeithD
05-25-12, 02:56
you wont be dissapointed. DFC does some of the best work in the buisness. All my glocks have Joe's treatment. and currently waiting on my SHIELD to get done.

Awesome work and a great guy to deal with.

jeremy stanke
05-25-12, 15:22
You will be happy with DFC, Joey does a great job!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t175/cougar8040/ATEi/a4e6a241.jpg

trinydex
05-25-12, 16:00
wow these look really good

G-lock
05-25-12, 16:19
Joey's work is first class and good dude besides..

dougwg
05-25-12, 17:19
And he has a nasty spider bite on the bridge of his nose....

Send him more guns to take his mind off of his horrible disfigurement.:p

Oh and we got the grip tool out no problems...

KeithD
05-25-12, 22:28
[QUOTE=dougwg;1314320]And he has a nasty spider bite on the bridge of his nose....

QUOTE]

I dont think anyone will notice....

RogerinTPA
05-26-12, 10:45
I would highly recommend boresightsolutions.com, IF you have the time and patients. Check out his page to get a feel for his work. Ben does some of the best grip reductions and stippling in the business. I have 2 M&Ps done by Ben and it is high quality, functional and aesthetically pleasing. Now the down side is...he is in so high demand, that he habitually has a 2-4 month waiting list.:shout: It took three months to get mine back, but it was well worth the wait.;)

Magsz
05-26-12, 13:59
I would highly recommend boresightsolutions.com, IF you have the time and patients. Check out his page to get a feel for his work. Ben does some of the best grip reductions and stippling in the business. I have 2 M&Ps done by Ben and it is high quality, functional and aesthetically pleasing. Now the down side is...he is in so high demand, that he habitually has a 2-4 month waiting list.:shout: It took three months to get mine back, but it was well worth the wait.;)

Does Ben do M&P grip reductions?

brushy bill
05-26-12, 16:36
David Kenik had something similar done to his M&P 45: http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/featured_handguns_hg_customizingmp45_200808/

Not attempting a thread hijack, but this article says, "S&W plans to eventually offer a refit kit enabling the safety to be added and/or removed from all M&P models."

I've only seen the option to remove....can you add yet?

ruchik
05-26-12, 16:41
And he has a nasty spider bite on the bridge of his nose....

Oh and we got the grip tool out no problems...

Right on! Now I just gotta count the days until July. I asked for a maximum grip reduction all around, especially on the backstrap behind the trigger for a shorter reach. What kind of a reduction can I expect? Any numbers or indications other than the pics on your FB page that you can give me?

jeremy stanke
05-27-12, 22:04

I have 2 Boresight M&Ps and I prefer DFC.