PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a Ruger P94

camoman
05-22-12, 11:54
Just picked up a Ruger P94 9mm for the woman at a yard sale, what do you think of this gun? It seems to accurate, and reliable...but bulky.
Anyone who has exp. with Ruger auto pistols, please chime in. I have found a few imperfections with the fit&finish....is this normal? Or could I have bought a factory second? It just doesn't seem to me that Ruger would let this pass, but I don't know.

Kain
05-22-12, 12:28
I've got a P89, was given to me and with the mags and holster(which I honestly need to get a better one) I have for it as well as the hogue grip I think I have around $100 in the entire system. They aren't the smoothest, nicest, or cleanest pistols out there and I have had one person describe shooting it as shooting a slingshot due to the mass in the slide and how it's recoil impulse feels. That said, I don't think they are bad pistols, they are plenty accurate in my experience, even if the trigger does suck, and plenty reliable, they are definitely bulky though and over built. As far as fit and finish, I've never seen a pretty one, and they are generally pretty hard use and abused pieces when bought used. I don't know what you paid for it but I have no issue owning one, I prefer my other automatics but its in my inventory to stay and there are plenty worse options.

okie john
05-22-12, 12:35
I dealt with them a fair amount in the gun business. The typical buyer was a cost-conscious novice who traded the gun in after 6 months when he realized there were better options.

We also had them on the range, and they held up pretty well out there.

Okie John

djmorris
05-22-12, 12:45
How much did you pay? They aren't the best guns ever but if you got a real good price then it's worth it for a range/beater/backup kinda gun. I wouldn't run it as my go-to gun by any stretch. My girlfriend has a Ruger SR40c and it was jamming all the time when she first got it, however it's been nothing but reliable for the past 500-600 rounds. I believe it was probably just "breaking in".

They aren't up to the standards of Heckler & Koch or other high quality firearms but they are definitely better than Taurus or Hi-Point.

camoman
05-22-12, 12:51
I paid 350, it came with 2 mags, the original case, speedloader, and 200 rds.

cbr
05-22-12, 14:05
I carried a Ruger P94 for about a year as a Deputy Sheriff once. I think you described it pretty well. Heavy, bulky, not finshed real great, but it always worked. Seems like I remember a rather strange take down procedure also. I kind of wish I still had it, but I sold it and put the money towards a Glock.

camoman
05-22-12, 14:17
Yes... the takedown is a bit wierd, definatly will take practice...but in hinsight....much better than a Walther, atleast you don't need a tool to re-assemble.

cbr
05-22-12, 14:23
I have never took apart a Walther. I guess I like the simplicity of taking apart a Glock. Its hard to screw that up. It sounds like you got a decent gun at a decent price. I think they are good guns. Hope you enjoy it.

J_Dub_503
05-22-12, 14:40
I've had a P95 deckocker model since 06, it's been reliable with only one FTE caused by some weak ammo. The DA/SA trigger leaves a LOT to be desired, it's a long gritty pull that I just can't get used to.
I know people who can shoot these guns accurately but I just can't. I know it's a lack of proper fundamentals on my part but I can't help but partially blame the trigger as well.

All in all it's a a pretty decent gun. They're built like a brick shit house (in my experience) and are well suited for the range/hd role.

camoman
05-22-12, 14:46
I have never took apart a Walther. I guess I like the simplicity of taking apart a Glock. Its hard to screw that up. It sounds like you got a decent gun at a decent price. I think they are good guns. Hope you enjoy it.

I hear what your saying about the Glock....after disassembling and reassembling a Glock...every thing else seems like a hassle. With the Walther, you have to use a gide rod to allign the recoil spring to assemble...complete bs design that could have been avoided easily.

camoman
05-22-12, 14:50
I've had a P95 deckocker model since 06, it's been reliable with only one FTE caused by some weak ammo. The DA/SA trigger leaves a LOT to be desired, it's a long gritty pull that I just can't get used to.
I know people who can shoot these guns accurately but I just can't. I know it's a lack of proper fundamentals on my part but I can't help but partially blame the trigger as well.

All in all it's a a pretty decent gun. They're built like a brick shit house (in my experience) and are well suited for the range/hd role.

I am very happy with the accuracy...I was consistantly hitting orange clay pigions at about 30 yrds first mag through the gun. It felt like I had to try to miss to miss. Perhaps all that training with my Glock 22 has paid off.

Lomshek
05-22-12, 23:27
I've owned a P94 in 9mm since it was new in 1994. Just because I'm a tightwad who's slow to change I've used it for the last 8 years in USPSA production shooting. It shoots about 5" at 25 yards with WWB 10 round groups. I have well over 50,000 rounds through mine and have just replaced the ejector and mag and recoil springs.

Your wife would need to have pretty large hands for a woman to comfortably manipulate the controls. Total size & trigger reach is close to a Beretta 92 although the Ruger grip is narrower. I'm 5'9" and haven't met many folks smaller than me who can easily work the gun especially the DA trigger and safety.

Just like everyone else says it is ergonomic like a brick, tough like a brick shit house and fine for HD/range use. Fit & finish is not ideal but good enough.

I can't imagine anything much easier to strip than the Ruger. I've used Glocks, M&P's, Berettas, 1911's and others and would never describe the Ruger as hard to take down.

I bought an M&P last year to replace the P94 and ran into the same stellar accuracy others have bitched about (8" - 12" at 25 yards) so the Ruger soldiers on until Grant or Randy are ready to sell barrels.

Beat Trash
05-23-12, 08:59
The Ruger is what it is. It's built like a brick shit house. It also has the feel and looks of a brick shit house.

I sum them up with one word, "Functional".

I've shot one of their 45 pistols, can't remember the model number, that was surprisingly accurate.

For the casual shooter on a budget that wants a reliable gun that goes bang, the P94 is an option. This is the market that Ruger envisioned when lunching the P series of pistols.