PDA

View Full Version : Glock 34

VA_Dinger
08-27-06, 21:00
What do you guys think of the G34? It has been my favorite Glock for some time, but I recently sold mine. Big mistake and now I want one again.

DBautista
08-27-06, 21:07
I have been eyeing one myself.

I REALLLY hope nobody lets me shoot one, because I most certainly will purchase one.

Why did you sell yours?

My 19 is accurate as hell, but I know that the 34 with the longer sight radius will make me smile.

Damn it, enough of this 34 talk.

USMC03
08-27-06, 21:16
I've been carrying a Glock 34 / 35 on duty for Patrol / SWAT and for competiton since 1999.

The 34 has to be my favorite Glock. I carried a 1911 for many years, and it was very easy to transition from the 1911 to the Glock 34 (weight, size balance, sight radius were all simular).

The Glock 34 is cheap, utterly reliable, the only thing they need is new sights, no tinkering, no tweeking, no customizing, holster and rail mounted lights are easy to find, ammo is cheap, very well balanced, light weight (if you are wearing it on your belt 10+ hours a day), recoil is gentle, 17 round capacity, great ergonomics (if you give yourself time to acclimate to the ergonomics), decent trigger, excellent pointability, etc, etc.

Just my 2 pesos

Robb Jensen
08-27-06, 21:23
I love mine. 14 points better today and I would have moved up from IDPA Expert in SSP to Master SSP. Not too bad as I've only shot this gun 3 times since last year.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/HiteHollow01-01-06331.jpg

Spurholder
08-28-06, 08:39
Dinger,

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger - I sold my 34 as well, and I'll probably get another one very soon - I just came back into the Glock fold myself, as I bought a 17... for my wife ;)

chris914
08-28-06, 09:45
I like the G34. I have found that it fairs well against most.other hadguns on the market. I do think that most 1911s are at least as accurate or more. I am still getting used to the trigger. Overall, I am a big fan of the G34. I am glad that I found some mook that was dumb enough to part company with one. :D

VA_Dinger
08-29-06, 23:14
Overall, I am a big fan of the G34. I am glad that I found some mook that was dumb enough to part company with one. :D

:D

That hurts.

You caught me in a moment of weakness.

nyeti
08-30-06, 00:54
I just got rid of mine. I had always used it as a dedicated light gun. When I went to something else to use with a light and began running the 34 "bare" I found that I shoot a standard 17 much better. I guess I am the oddball.......as usual.

The biggest thing I had to learn to begin to shoot the Glocks really well (and I shoot them better than anything else now) is that I had to stop shooting them like a 1911. They aren't a 1911. You have to hold them different, they feel different, the trigger press and follow through is different............I guess thats why i am not so hung up on the 34/35 series and their relation to "feeling" like a 1911. Glock does the 9mm pistol better than anything else out there. All their other guns have some issues (in my opinon.......which doesn't matter much). I wish they would have just stopped at the 9mm and called it a day, but thats just me.

ArchAngel
08-30-06, 03:01
I'm really happy with my G34.

I've contemplated switching to it from the G17 for duty use as well.

Feel, balance, and trigger are fine.

I carried a G22 for some time on duty as well, but when I switched commissions I had to go to 9mm and chose the G17 so I didn't have to replace leather.

Getting LE prices on Glocks doesn't help the addiction.

Go replace that G34 and never sell it again!

subzero
08-30-06, 17:29
Paul,

So go get one already. If I wasn't broke, I'd jump all over this. It even has the sights that I want.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=88&t=375694

VA_Dinger
08-30-06, 21:29
Paul,

So go get one already. If I wasn't broke, I'd jump all over this. It even has the sights that I want.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=88&t=375694

Thats not a bad deal, but I want a bone stock one (except for sights). Plus Bob's has one in stock for $550.

Clay34
05-29-14, 08:04
I own two of them in 9mm and just bought a third G34 frame to use as a dedicated rimfire gun for training. So yes, I like the G34. But it begs the question "for what application"? For a gamer gun in IDPA SSP or USPSA Production class, I still believe that Glock is king.

Just recently I have started to ask myself the question whether the G34 is really the best choice for a SHTF type of weapon though. I just question the large opening over the barrel and if it could be a source of fowling from mud, sand or whatever in a rough use application. I wonder if and how that might make the firearm fail. While I have no first hand knowledge of this, I would love to see someone like Larry Vickers run a torture test on a G17 vs a G34 and those results would be interesting to me.

I tend to carry G19's and compete with G34's.

C4IGrant
05-29-14, 08:43
I own two of them in 9mm and just bought a third G34 frame to use as a dedicated rimfire gun for training. So yes, I like the G34. But it begs the question "for what application"? For a gamer gun in IDPA SSP or USPSA Production class, I still believe that Glock is king.

Just recently I have started to ask myself the question whether the G34 is really the best choice for a SHTF type of weapon though. I just question the large opening over the barrel and if it could be a source of fowling from mud, sand or whatever in a rough use application. I wonder if and how that might make the firearm fail. While I have no first hand knowledge of this, I would love to see someone like Larry Vickers run a torture test on a G17 vs a G34 and those results would be interesting to me.

THis thread is from 2006 (FYI).

C4

Voodoo_Man
05-29-14, 08:57
Smoothest shooting 9mm glock. One of those "must have" guns on the list.

Apparently the 17L is coming out soon im going to buy one of those too.

I have a few buddies who carry them, I cant really argue since those guna are super accurate.

samuse
05-29-14, 10:31
Back when I used to shoot Glocks I tried a 34 twice and never did well with 'em.

I did best with a 19. Did all my training and competition with a 19. Tried the 17 on several occasions too.

MSparks909
05-29-14, 13:10

Throw one of your 34's in the sand and mud and find out for yourself. Mine worked fine when I buried it in the sand. Haven't tried mud yet...

decodeddiesel
05-29-14, 18:25
Holy crap! This thread is almost a DECADE old.

brushy bill
05-29-14, 20:50
Funny thing is, if someone asks a question that's been asked before, they get bombarded with "use the search button!!"

If they do use the search button, and respond to an old thread in the belief they have something to contribute, it is a form of necropsy. They are quickly reminded it is an old thread.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

onado2000
05-30-14, 11:11
I've been carrying a Glock 34 / 35 on duty for Patrol / SWAT and for competiton since 1999.

The 34 has to be my favorite Glock. I carried a 1911 for many years, and it was very easy to transition from the 1911 to the Glock 34 (weight, size balance, sight radius were all simular).

The Glock 34 is cheap, utterly reliable, the only thing they need is new sights, no tinkering, no tweeking, no customizing, holster and rail mounted lights are easy to find, ammo is cheap very well balanced, light weight (if you are wearing it on your belt 10+ hours a day), recoil is gentle, 17 round capacity, great ergonomics (if you give yourself time to acclimate to the ergonomics), decent trigger, excellent pointability, etc, etc.

Just my 2 pesos

(you can tell its an old thread) Remember when ammo was cheap and plentiful

Stengun
05-30-14, 12:21
Howdy,

(you can tell its an old thread) Remember when ammo was cheap and plentiful

When I read that part I was like WTF?!?

On a different note:

I have a G35 and I love it! It's hunting/CCW/IDP/IPSC/SD/HD gun.

Paul

Spiffums
06-01-14, 19:47
I love the 34/35 size Glocks. I carry this one or my G19 depending on weather.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa272/Spiffums/DSC003621024x768.jpg

militarymoron
06-01-14, 20:35
If they do use the search button, and respond to an old thread in the belief they have something to contribute, it is a form of necropsy. They are quickly reminded it is an old thread.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

we can always find stuff to contribute to; but timeliness also needs to be considered.

yellowfin
06-04-14, 14:45
(you can tell its an old thread) Remember when ammo was cheap and plentifulIf you reload it still is.

I had one of my local shops tempt me with a used one today...VERY tempted as I need a gamer gun now. Wrestling with the idea between this and a 17 b/c I could carry a 17 daily as an alternate if I wanted to whereas this looks a little problematic to conceal (not that a 17 is a sweetheart on that either, but a full inch shorter).

Stengun
06-04-14, 17:18
Howdy yellowfin,

If you reload it still is.

Gee, you must be a gun/reloader newbie because when us ol' timers say cheap we mean when a 1,000 primers cost under $10.00 as did a pound of powder and 500 .45cal 200gr LSWC cost less than a twenty and that was just 10 years ago.

Paul

teutonicpolymer
06-04-14, 17:52
If you reload it still is.

I had one of my local shops tempt me with a used one today...VERY tempted as I need a gamer gun now. Wrestling with the idea between this and a 17 b/c I could carry a 17 daily as an alternate if I wanted to whereas this looks a little problematic to conceal (not that a 17 is a sweetheart on that either, but a full inch shorter).

I would not want to CC the G17 or G34 over the G19 mainly because of grip length and weight. The 34 and 17 are basically the same weight and have the same grip length so I think they're equally bad in that sense.

I say this out of honesty, not because I think the 17 or 34 are bad pistols. I absolutely love the 34 but it is on the bigger side.

yellowfin
06-04-14, 20:40
Howdy yellowfin,

Gee, you must be a gun/reloader newbie because when us ol' timers say cheap we mean when a 1,000 primers cost under $10.00 as did a pound of powder and 500 .45cal 200gr LSWC cost less than a twenty and that was just 10 years ago.

PaulI wish I'd been in on that at that time. Problem was I was just coming out of living on a college campus, so all of my gun activity had been on hold because of not being able to do much because of that. Then I was also single for a while and had a couple of untrustworthy roommates. Then and only then did I meet my wife and then because of that got back into shooting almost completely from scratch because my family had a lot of Fudd tradition so didn't shoot much but owned heirloom guns. So that was only about a two or three year window before her education route took us to 5 years of hell living first in CA then NY, so that royally screwed that up, so only the last 2 years or so have we been back living in the free world in PA. Oh, and all that moving around screwed my job history and drained my savings. So yeah, sadly I've only had maybe 4 years out of the last 9-10 and from then pretty much ever. So yeah, the good old days I missed out on, and I HATE it. $100 FAL kits, $75 AK's, $25 SKS's...I'm pissed off every day thinking about that, it feels like I'm serving time in purgatory.

July4th
06-25-14, 20:44
Smoothest shooting 9mm glock. One of those "must have" guns on the list.

Apparently the 17L is coming out soon im going to buy one of those too.

I have a few buddies who carry them, I cant really argue since those guna are super accurate.
I thought the 17L was discontinued years ago, are they bringing it back? Is the difference between the 17L and 34 just the cuts on top of the slide that the 34 has?

I've really wanted a 34 for a while for a dedicated HD setup, but those cuts on the slide scare me. If the new 17L (if there is going to be one) is the same without the cuts I'm sold.

Up1911fan
06-26-14, 10:54
I thought the 17L was discontinued years ago, are they bringing it back? Is the difference between the 17L and 34 just the cuts on top of the slide that the 34 has?

I've really wanted a 34 for a while for a dedicated HD setup, but those cuts on the slide scare me. If the new 17L (if there is going to be one) is the same without the cuts I'm sold.

The 17L has a 6" barrel and slide, 5.3" for the 34.

July4th
06-26-14, 16:37
The 17L has a 6" barrel and slide, 5.3" for the 34.
Thanks! Does the 17L have the slide cuts too?

brushy bill
06-26-14, 16:47
Thanks! Does the 17L have the slide cuts too?

It does.

July4th
06-26-14, 17:06
It does.
Crap. Thanks for the info.

MSparks909
06-26-14, 18:18
Don't let the slide cuts discourage you. I've done two "torture tests" on my personal Gen4 34. For the first test I buried the gun in a sand pile, action closed magazine in the weapon. Pulled the gun out of the sand, shook it out and fired 17 rounds with no issues. I then buried the gun with the slide locked to the rear, magazine inserted. I pulled the gun out of the sand, shook most of it out and fired the next 17 rounds with no issue.

For the next test (on a different occasion) I wanted to do a mud test. I loaded the gun and threw it in some seriously goopy, nasty mud. Pulled the gun out, didn't shake it off, and fired. I was able to fire 3 rounds before I started getting malfunctions. Mud worked it's way into the recoil spring because of the hole in the slide and started to bind the gun up. Beat the gun open on my tailgate and then shook it back and forth in a mud puddle to clean it out. After doing that the gun had the occasional failure to eject for the next 2 magazines.

After the mud test, I took the gun and 3 rounds and jumped in the pool. It successfully fired two rounds underwater. Light primer strike on the third round. I do NOT have the maritime spring cups. Gun would have most likely worked fine with those cups installed.

Gun got a detail strip and a new recoil spring after the mud/pool tests.

All in all I'm extremely pleased with how the 34 performed. If you're going to run the risk of dropping your gun in gumbo-goo mud, then I would go with a closed slide Glock. If not, then I wouldn't worry about the slide cutouts. Have 5,000 rounds through this gun and trust my life to it.

July4th
06-26-14, 19:47
Thanks MSparks! I guess I'll keep hunting for the "perfect" dedicated HD pistol.

C4IGrant
06-27-14, 08:31
Don't let the slide cuts discourage you. I've done two "torture tests" on my personal Gen4 34. For the first test I buried the gun in a sand pile, action closed magazine in the weapon. Pulled the gun out of the sand, shook it out and fired 17 rounds with no issues. I then buried the gun with the slide locked to the rear, magazine inserted. I pulled the gun out of the sand, shook most of it out and fired the next 17 rounds with no issue.

For the next test (on a different occasion) I wanted to do a mud test. I loaded the gun and threw it in some seriously goopy, nasty mud. Pulled the gun out, didn't shake it off, and fired. I was able to fire 3 rounds before I started getting malfunctions. Mud worked it's way into the recoil spring because of the hole in the slide and started to bind the gun up. Beat the gun open on my tailgate and then shook it back and forth in a mud puddle to clean it out. After doing that the gun had the occasional failure to eject for the next 2 magazines.

After the mud test, I took the gun and 3 rounds and jumped in the pool. It successfully fired two rounds underwater. Light primer strike on the third round. I do NOT have the maritime spring cups. Gun would have most likely worked fine with those cups installed.

Gun got a detail strip and a new recoil spring after the mud/pool tests.

All in all I'm extremely pleased with how the 34 performed. If you're going to run the risk of dropping your gun in gumbo-goo mud, then I would go with a closed slide Glock. If not, then I wouldn't worry about the slide cutouts. Have 5,000 rounds through this gun and trust my life to it.

Ever get any gravel/small rocks in there? Or just not "shake out" whatever is in that slot to see what occurs?

C4

teutonicpolymer
06-27-14, 12:58
i can understand the aversion to slide cuts in a lot of scenarios, but why would it be a problem for a HD pistol?

C4IGrant
06-27-14, 13:24
i can understand the aversion to slide cuts in a lot of scenarios, but why would it be a problem for a HD pistol?

Hackathorn had a student get loose coins into the slot once and shut the gun down. I am of the opinion that anything can happen (whether in the home or outdoors).

C4

markm
06-27-14, 13:26
HD pistol?

HD and pistol don't go together.

teutonicpolymer
06-27-14, 13:37
Hackathorn had a student get loose coins into the slot once and shut the gun down. I am of the opinion that anything can happen (whether in the home or outdoors).

C4
While I agree with the never say never mindset, if it is kept holstered the chances of things like this happening are pretty slim. I've put thousands of rounds through 34's and not experienced any malfunction due to the slide cutout. The 34 is also popular in USPSA/3 gun and again I have never seen nor heard of any issue caused by the slide cutout despite being kept in (usually from what I have seen) dirty range bags. Not trying to say the coin thing didn't happen, but rather that it sounds like a low likelihood occurance.

I remember there was a tactv episode where LV gave some of the advantages to using a handgun over a long gun in HD scenarios, and at least to me, they made sense.

ptmccain
06-27-14, 13:59
Just remember that there are devoted Glock bashers who will take every chance they get to criticize Glocks.

Such is life on any gun forum.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

C4IGrant
06-27-14, 14:14
While I agree with the never say never mindset, if it is kept holstered the chances of things like this happening are pretty slim. I've put thousands of rounds through 34's and not experienced any malfunction due to the slide cutout. The 34 is also popular in USPSA/3 gun and again I have never seen nor heard of any issue caused by the slide cutout despite being kept in (usually from what I have seen) dirty range bags. Not trying to say the coin thing didn't happen, but rather that it sounds like a low likelihood occurance.

Have been to classes where we roll around in loose (small gravel), I have seen it (stones and sticks) get into Serpa and Safariland holsters and lock guns in. So if you think about it, if that stuff can get into the very SMALL crevices of the holster it can easily get into the large open slot.

The next question I always like to ask folks that use the 34's for defense use is, what does it do better than a 17?

For gun games, I really could care less what is used (as it doesn't matter).

C4

C4IGrant
06-27-14, 14:14
Just remember that there are devoted Glock bashers who will take every chance they get to criticize Glocks.

Such is life on any gun forum.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I don't know of anyone in this thread that are Glock "bashers." I probably own more Glock's than ANYONE in this thread.

Just Sayin...

C4

jh9
06-27-14, 17:21
The next question I always like to ask folks that use the 34's for defense use is, what does it do better than a 17?

I realize the question is about 9mms and not .40s, but the longslides have appreciably less recoil. I hate shooting Glock 22s with factory ball. A G35 is ok. A G24 feels like a 9mm. Shooting them side by side out of the same box of Federal Champion .40 180gr FMJ made plain the huge gulf in shootability between the three.

I'd imagine if someone had trouble with a G17 due to medical problems such as arthritis and could still comfortably operate a G34 the reduced recoil would fall into the category of "doing something a G17" doesn't.

In the general case, though. Yeah. I've shot 34s. I still compete with a 17. I would only compete with a 35 or 24. The G22 is less pleasant than magnums through an N-frame to me. YMMV and whatnot.

MSparks909
06-27-14, 17:23
Ever get any gravel/small rocks in there? Or just not "shake out" whatever is in that slot to see what occurs?

C4

I don't really feel like subjecting my personal gun to more torture tests. I'm confident that it would protect my life if the situation arose. Carry mine daily without worry.

Stengun
06-27-14, 18:53
Howdy,

Gee, I've been on Internet gun forums since the late 90's and this has to be in the TOP 5 dumbest things I've ever read gun wise on any gun forum.

I don't own a G34 but I do own a G35 and I've sent over 15,000 rounds downrange and have never considered the slide cutout as an issue. I've used mine for CCW/HD/IDPA/IPSC/USPSA/plinking/hunting/about anything you can use a handgun for/etc and it's a great handgun.

If Uncle Sam called today and said "Pack your bags 'cause I'm sending you to Iraq and you can bring a personal handgun." my G35 would get packed.

Paul

P.S. Since I'm a 50yo Disabled Combat Veteran with a bad left knee, doesn't hear out of my left ear, have had 3 surgeries due to combat related injuries, plus a right knee replacement......... I doubt that's gonna happen.

ptmccain
06-27-14, 20:06
Howdy,

Gee, I've been on Internet gun forums since the late 90's and this has to be in the TOP 5 dumbest things I've ever read gun wise on any gun forum.

Big +1

July4th
06-27-14, 23:31
Glock should offer a slide without the cuts and make it a catalog item instead of doing limited runs for the 17L. I would also like them to make slides without the cuts for the 34/35. They could market it as a HD specific pistol instead of a competition pistol.

You would think someone would make an aftermarket slide without the cuts. I'm in Florida and rain will come out of nowhere, not to mention we have a lot of clay/mud inland. If you were to take a fall in that weather the cuts would be a major concern IMO. I prefer to plan for the outliers.

Does the new 41 also have the cuts? I also wonder if those cuts are really needed for reliable cycling of the slide or if they are there just to speed lock time for competition.

Those cuts have turned me off for a long time, but this thread has really re-sparked my interest in the 34.

Beat Trash
06-27-14, 23:33
Personal preference. Kind of like asking which is the hottest, blond or red head.

I'm a HUGE Glock 19 fan. I bought a Glock 34 in 2001 as a present to myself. Shot it for a couple of years. I Bought a Glock 17 in 204 to celebrate the repeal of the AWB. What I found out was that I preferred the balance of the G17 to the G34. I also seemed to track better with the G17 from shot to shot. I ended up selling the G34.

Is it a good gun? Yes it is. But is it better than the Glock 17? depends on who you ask. For me, not so much.

July4th
06-27-14, 23:36
Personal preference. Kind of like asking which is the hottest, blond or red head.

I'm a HUGE Glock 19 fan. I bought a Glock 34 in 2001 as a present to myself. Shot it for a couple of years. I Bought a Glock 17 in 204 to celebrate the repeal of the AWB. What I found out was that I preferred the balance of the G17 to the G34. I also seemed to track better with the G17 from shot to shot. I ended up selling the G34.

Is it a good gun? Yes it is. But is it better than the Glock 17? depends on who you ask. For me, not so much.
I'm a big 19 fan myself, it's my EDC along with 2 spare mags stuffed with Gold Dots. How do you rate the 34 compared to the 17L?

I find it interesting you said the 17 tracked and shot better. I would think it would be the 34 with the longer barrel and sight radius.

MountainRaven
06-27-14, 23:51
Glock should offer a slide without the cuts and make it a catalog item instead of doing limited runs for the 17L. I would also like them to make slides without the cuts for the 34/35. They could market it as a HD specific pistol instead of a competition pistol.

You would think someone would make an aftermarket slide without the cuts. I'm in Florida and rain will come out of nowhere, not to mention we have a lot of clay/mud inland. If you were to take a fall in that weather the cuts would be a major concern IMO. I prefer to plan for the outliers.

Does the new 41 also have the cuts? I also wonder if those cuts are really needed for reliable cycling of the slide or if they are there just to speed lock time for competition.

Those cuts have turned me off for a long time, but this thread has really re-sparked my interest in the 34.

This idea is significantly less brilliant than you may think it is.

The top of the slide on the Glock 17Ls, 24s, 34s, and 35s are milled out for one reason: To keep the slide's mass as near identical as possible to that of the 17 and 22. You'll notice the same thing with the XDm 5.25s. The 41 solves the problem the same way the M&P-Ls do: With a skinnier slide. Remove the "cut out" from the slide and you increase the mass of the slide, necessitating a different weight/tension spring in the RSA (adding another part to the Glock parts catalog and increasing costs) and increase muzzle flip - one of the problems with the XD Tacticals. All while Glock steadfastly recommends the G17L/24/34/35 for competition and target shooting only.

teutonicpolymer
06-28-14, 02:05

There are already aftermarket slides available that are without cuts. I know Lonewolf has them but I have heard both good and bad things about their slides.

The 41 does not have cuts. It is instead thinner. My belief is that the cuts are there partly due to parts commonality and partly to smooth out cycling. The cuts bring the slide weight close to that of the 17 and so they use (if I remember right) the same recoil spring. The recoil impulse is pretty smooth with the factory spring, but I've heard of people going as low as 13#.

I don't have an issue with the cuts personally.

This idea is significantly less brilliant than you may think it is.

The top of the slide on the Glock 17Ls, 24s, 34s, and 35s are milled out for one reason: To keep the slide's mass as near identical as possible to that of the 17 and 22. You'll notice the same thing with the XDm 5.25s. The 41 solves the problem the same way the M&P-Ls do: With a skinnier slide. Remove the "cut out" from the slide and you increase the mass of the slide, necessitating a different weight/tension spring in the RSA (adding another part to the Glock parts catalog and increasing costs) and increase muzzle flip - one of the problems with the XD Tacticals. All while Glock steadfastly recommends the G17L/24/34/35 for competition and target shooting only.

I don't think that last part is accurate. Glock might not be pushing the 34/35 as duty guns now but I believe Glock may have listed the 34/35 as law enforcement options. You can get them through blue label and they were even marketed as "practical/tactical" for a long time (not sure if they still do). Even though the 34/35 aren't under law enforcement options when you click on the category, the law enforcement symbol is still highlighted under at least the 34 http://us.glock.com/products/model/g34

Plus aren't there departments that issue the 34/35 in some shape or form?

Heavy Metal
06-28-14, 12:56
Why doesn't somebody just make a plug? Larry/Tangodown? Next project maybe?

alcante262
06-28-14, 18:21
Love my 34.Thats why I retired my Browning HiPower.I CCW the 34 great 9mm.

scoutchris
06-28-14, 21:14
There are already aftermarket slides available that are without cuts. I know Lonewolf has them but I have heard both good and bad things about their slides.

The 41 does not have cuts. It is instead thinner. My belief is that the cuts are there partly due to parts commonality and partly to smooth out cycling. The cuts bring the slide weight close to that of the 17 and so they use (if I remember right) the same recoil spring. The recoil impulse is pretty smooth with the factory spring, but I've heard of people going as low as 13#.

I don't have an issue with the cuts personally.

I don't think that last part is accurate. Glock might not be pushing the 34/35 as duty guns now but I believe Glock may have listed the 34/35 as law enforcement options. You can get them through blue label and they were even marketed as "practical/tactical" for a long time (not sure if they still do). Even though the 34/35 aren't under law enforcement options when you click on the category, the law enforcement symbol is still highlighted under at least the 34 http://us.glock.com/products/model/g34

Plus aren't there departments that issue the 34/35 in some shape or form?

Miami SWAT.

brushy bill
06-28-14, 21:35
Kentucky State Police replaced the 1076 with the Glock 35 years ago. There are other agencies that escape me.

Surf
06-29-14, 00:05
I have a close fondness for my 34's as the 34 really won me over to Glock. Having said that I prefer my 17's over my 34's and my lone 35, but they are not going anywhere anytime soon. While it may be splitting hairs, I perform better on a timer and from the seat of the pants feel with my 17's. I too have quite a few Glocks but the 17's get the most attention followed by the 19's, followed by the 21's. I do plan on revisiting the 34's and giving them some serious attention in the near future. Maybe starting tomorrow.

I do get what Markm is trying to convey about home defense and pistols. While a pistol can be deployed very effectively, a long gun such as a shotgun or a rifle caliber round is far superior in efficacy in a gunfight and it would be my choice 99% of the time. A handgun may be a game changer, but a long gun / rifle caliber round is a show stopper. There are few advantages that a handgun provides and those instances are specific and less commonly encountered. A skilled person will be much more effective 99% of the time with a good long gun set up.

Slvr Surfr
06-29-14, 03:00
Glock 34 here for duty carry. Safariland ALS holster keeps the crap out of it pretty well. I don't know of any duty retention holsters that leave the slide cut out naked. If I happen to be wrestling with my gun in hand in the sand/mud/swamp, I have bigger problems to worry about then pebbles.

Grand Prairie PD and Prosper PD in TX issue G35s.

kihnspiracy
06-29-14, 05:17
The 34 is my choice of all the Glocks.

C4IGrant
07-01-14, 14:32
The 34 is my choice of all the Glocks.

Why? What does it do better than say the 19 or 17?

C4

MSparks909
07-01-14, 18:30
Why doesn't somebody just make a plug? Larry/Tangodown? Next project maybe?

I stick a piece of Gorilla Tape on top of the cutout when I carry my 34 in the swamp with me on duck hunting trips.

Heavy Metal
07-01-14, 19:30
My concern with tape is if it got poked down into the opening from a drop, it in and of itself could induce a stoppage.

C4IGrant
07-02-14, 11:30
I have a close fondness for my 34's as the 34 really won me over to Glock. Having said that I prefer my 17's over my 34's and my lone 35, but they are not going anywhere anytime soon. While it may be splitting hairs, I perform better on a timer and from the seat of the pants feel with my 17's. I too have quite a few Glocks but the 17's get the most attention followed by the 19's, followed by the 21's. I do plan on revisiting the 34's and giving them some serious attention in the near future. Maybe starting tomorrow.

I do get what Markm is trying to convey about home defense and pistols. While a pistol can be deployed very effectively, a long gun such as a shotgun or a rifle caliber round is far superior in efficacy in a gunfight and it would be my choice 99% of the time. A handgun may be a game changer, but a long gun / rifle caliber round is a show stopper. There are few advantages that a handgun provides and those instances are specific and less commonly encountered. A skilled person will be much more effective 99% of the time with a good long gun set up.

This. Analytical input from comparing one gun to another and then choosing the RIGHT one for the task at hand.

Same goes for the long gun. Far superior choice than a pistol (if available).

C4