PDA

View Full Version : Question on palmetto state armory uppers

~kev~
05-22-12, 12:31
What is the difference in a "Light Profile Upper", and your normal everyday upper?

Example:

Light Profile Upper - http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-14-7-hammer-forged-midlength-light-weight-upper.html

Hammer-Forged Chrome-Lined Mid-length Upper - http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-14-7-hammer-forged-chrome-lined-mid.html

bookin
05-22-12, 12:43
The light profile barrel is a pencil barrel. It has a smaller outside diameter. The CHF barrel is supposed to be a more durable barrel, but is heavier due to a larger outside diameter.

Search cold hammer forged and you can find all the benefits of it. I run a light weight barrel and will continue to do so.

jdgiii
05-22-12, 12:54
I have the upper you have listed first. It is not a pencil barrel. It is turned down under the handguards and standard profile from the fsb forward. There is a picture in the product description that shows this.

jdgiii
05-22-12, 12:57
It appears they have the same images in the second upper's description as well. You may want to contact PSA for verification

bookin
05-22-12, 13:03
You're right. They do appear to be the same profile in the pictures.

Dano5326
05-22-12, 13:06
"Pencil" has taken to mean a .625 gas block with a skinnier profile under the hand-guards and in-front of gasblock(.580-.560?).

The PSA has a .750 gas block

The terms "pencil" and "light" strike me as odd. When looking at other military carbines/rifles it seems a standard profile. AR18, G3, m-14, etc all have thinner profiles than the m16A2. The latter have bigger holes in the middle too!

A thinner barrel will, of course, be lighter than a thicker one. Of barrels with equal dia a hammer forged one will be heavier due to slightly increased density produced by hammer forging.

PalmettoStateArmory
05-22-12, 13:56
What is the difference in a "Light Profile Upper", and your normal everyday upper?

Example:

Light Profile Upper - http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-14-7-hammer-forged-midlength-light-weight-upper.html

Hammer-Forged Chrome-Lined Mid-length Upper - http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-14-7-hammer-forged-chrome-lined-mid.html

The lighter profile is slightly stepped down after the FSB (.750). It isn't a pencil barrel.

alex71
05-22-12, 17:51
They make great uppers. They have the best prices around also

Freezerman1
05-23-12, 06:51

Can you expand on this statement? Anybody run them hard yet? The one I tried makes me say the exact opposite.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

black22rifle
05-23-12, 08:15
it says in the barrel description that it is not a pencil barrel

K9 jake
05-23-12, 11:08

X2, hooray for PSA!, they have a pretty good deal on a stripped upper with vortex optic.

05-23-12, 12:42
I'll pass on PSA anything.

~kev~
05-23-12, 14:26

Care to provide any details?

Looks like PSA is out of BCGs. So I might go with either a bravo company or daniel defense BCG.

M_Rapp
05-24-12, 12:26
Care to provide any details?

I agree. Please provide "why"?

Thanks!

cbr
05-24-12, 12:36

Yes, Please tell us why?:confused:

kwelz
05-24-12, 13:35
Yes, Please tell us why?:confused:

PSA is new and trying to prove themselves. However they have made a number of very major "oops" moves. Charging a restocking fee for products never shipped, Shipping Mid length uppers with carbine gas tubes, shipping uppers with live rounds in the chamber.. You get the point. Till they get these issues completely resolved you will not find a lot of experienced people recommending them.

smitty704
05-24-12, 13:46
Their light profile barrels are not pencil barreled. It says so at the bottom of the page you provided a link for. I own one from PSA and it is not pencil barreled. Light profile, but not as light as a pencil barrel.

E-man930
05-24-12, 14:45
PSA is new and trying to prove themselves. However they have made a number of very major "oops" moves. Charging a restocking fee for products never shipped, Shipping Mid length uppers with carbine gas tubes, shipping uppers with live rounds in the chamber.. You get the point. Till they get these issues completely resolved you will not find a lot of experienced people recommending them.

So it sounds like a "software" issue vs. the hardware they are putting out. I like my 20" hammer forged (FN barrel) rifle upper, it is everything I expected it to be and great value in my book.

kwelz
05-24-12, 14:52
So it sounds like a "software" issue vs. the hardware they are putting out. I like my 20" hammer forged (FN barrel) rifle upper, it is everything I expected it to be and great value in my book.

I don't disagree. However mistakes like that make you question any company. A couple here and there is one thing but the number in such a short time was disturbing event to people like me who want to see them succeed.

~kev~
05-24-12, 15:06

So no reason related to the overall quality of the product?

kwelz
05-24-12, 15:28

QC checks are possibly one of the most critical parts of product quality. I don't care what materials a company uses if they don't take pride int he final product they ship out the door. People get to caught up in a check list of parts and materials and forget that if the company putting out the product doens't bother to have a good QC check at the end then it is no better than using crap materials from the start.

~kev~
05-24-12, 17:00
if the company putting out the product doens't bother to have a good QC check at the end then it is no better than using crap materials from the start.

Getting onions on your burger has something to do with the beef supplier?

The person doing the final inspection of the box has nothing to do with the guy running the CNC machine.

Traveshamockery
05-24-12, 20:47

Shipping a mid-length upper with a carbine gas tube sure qualifies as a quality issue in my book.

~kev~
05-24-12, 21:09
Shipping a mid-length upper with a carbine gas tube sure qualifies as a quality issue in my book.

Did the rifle function properly?

If the rifle functioned as it was supposed to, that is a shipping and receiving issue, and not a an issue with the grade of steel, issue with the CNC machines,,,,,,.

You can not tell me you have never opened the wrong can of beans, or the wrong kind of corn, or bought the wrong type of batteries.

Accidents happen. If you have a belly button, sooner or later you are going to make a mistake.

kwelz
05-24-12, 21:12
Ok now I am convinced you are just trying to mess with us....
A middy with a carbine gas tube will not function.

If the rifle functioned as it was supposed to, that is a shipping and receiving issue, and not a an issue with the grade of steel, issue with the CNC machines,,,,,,.

You can not tell me you have never opened the wrong can of beans, or the wrong kind of corn, or bought the wrong type of batteries.

Accidents happen. If you have a belly button, sooner or later you are going to make a mistake.

~kev~
05-24-12, 21:16
Ok now I am convinced you are just trying to mess with us....
A middy with a carbine gas tube will not function.

So the gas tube was what, 3 inches short and not connected?

If so, then that is a quality control issue.

windellmc
05-24-12, 21:19
The gas tube issue was almost a year ago and affected what 3 rifles? At least that problem was easy to diagnose.

Traveshamockery
05-24-12, 21:20

You may have misunderstood. It was sold as a complete upper, not multiple line-item parts that were fulfilled as individual parts of a larger order.

munch520
05-24-12, 21:25

I agree huge issue. But 1 issue out of a total of what sampling? My guess is the % is very low.

~kev~
05-24-12, 21:28
The gas tube issue was almost a year ago and affected what 3 rifles? At least that problem was easy to diagnose.

Holy crap, the people complaining sound like my exwife. Do one thing wrong and she never lets you live it down.

SW-Shooter
05-24-12, 22:15

Care to elaborate on the live rounds issue? I've seen one person make that claim and they were obviously biased. I've seen no proof that it actually happened.

As a Site Sponsor you kind of sound like Spikes Tactical.

SW-Shooter
05-24-12, 22:30
I don't disagree. However mistakes like that make you question any company. A couple here and there is one thing but the number in such a short time was disturbing event to people like me who want to see them succeed.

Everyone makes mistakes. Daniel Defense has, Colt has, BCM has, and PSA has.

To say PSA is crap because of a few mistakes is painting every manufacturer with the broad brush that they are all crap.

BCM has had issues with out of spec uppers lately, does that mean you wouldn't buy a BCM? The fact is PSA & BCM both take excellent care of their customers, and they both offer superb products at reasonable prices . I will buy from PSA, BCM, DD, and Colt any day of the week.

kwelz
05-24-12, 22:53
BCM has established itself as a quality manufacture. PSA is still trying to do this. Neither excuses the mistakes. You will notice that I never claimed PSA is crap, somebody asked why other suggest they be avoided. I answered.

PalmettoStateArmory
05-25-12, 09:22
We have made mistakes in the past, but we have made changes to ensure they don't happen again. We stand behind our product, and will assist the customer in any way possible.

If a customer has any issue all they need to do is contact our CS and we will take care of it in a timely manner.

~kev~
05-25-12, 09:55
Everyone makes mistakes. Daniel Defense has, Colt has, BCM has, and PSA has.

when I first joined this forum and asked about ds arms or spikes, people said to buy a colt. I then explained why I boycott colt products.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=97302

Because it was colt, people started slinging insults my way. Their reason was - so what if colt stopped selling their products to the public, that was a long time ago.

But when other manufacturers make a mistake its a big deal.

There seems to be a double standard. When people refuse to buy a colt, they are stupid. When people refuse to buy a PSA, then their reasons are justified.

My wife asked what I want for fathers day, I said another AR, she said ok and told me to pick it out.

This upper is in my price range - http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-14-7-hammer-forged-midlength-light-weight-upper.html

Is there a reason why I should not buy it?

cbr
05-25-12, 09:57
At least they admit they make mistakes. Shipping a midlength upper with a carbine gas tube does sound kind of bad, but as was mentioned, humans make mistakes. I know I make mistakes. I am glad they seem so willing to make things right. I hope they have fixed the problems and will gain a following like BCM, DD, etc.

djmorris
05-25-12, 09:59
I hate the name Palmetto State Armory and the roll mark/logo. That's reason enough for me to not buy it. :sarcastic:

ac130usnsr
05-25-12, 10:59
I wish people would stop blowing the carbine gas tubes on middy uppers from PSA issue out of proportion. Did it happen? Yes. Was it resolved quickly by PSA? Yes.

Now, with that out of the way let's examine what happened. There were THREE mid-length uppers sent out with carbine gas tubes out of a batch of a little more than THREE HUNDRED mid-length uppers. That is less than 1% of one batch of uppers. It happened quite a while ago. It happened because the individual responsible did not follow the QC procedures. PSA took immediate corrective actions. They fired the individual responsible. They made the THREE uppers right. They changed their QC to include test firing of all of their uppers and rifles before shipping.

Very positive and pro-active steps from PSA to rectify the problem and insure the same issue never happens again. To continue to point fingers over this is disengenuous at best.

As everyone here likes to say "Every manufacturer can produce a lemon, it's how they handle it when it happens that matters."

I believe PSA has handled their issues well and in a timely manner.

If you don't believe so, then you should be slamming BCM and casting a negative light on them for the out of spec upper receivers they have shipped recently as well. Even though they too immediately took steps to fix the issue and made things right for those effected.

Apply the same standard to all. Don't give some a pass because of a misplaced sense of loyalty or perceived superiority.

If a company uses quality components and ships a good product the vast majority of the time, when (not if, these things are made by people and people will make mistakes) they have an issue it's how they handle the issue that matters.

djmorris
05-25-12, 11:59
As everyone here likes to say "Every manufacturer can produce a lemon, it's how they handle it when it happens that matters."

If you don't believe so, then you should be slamming BCM and casting a negative light on them for the out of spec upper receivers they have shipped recently as well. Even though they too immediately took steps to fix the issue and made things right for those effected.

Apply the same standard to all. Don't give some a pass because of a misplaced sense of loyalty or perceived superiority.

If a company uses quality components and ships a good product the vast majority of the time, when (not if, these things are made by people and people will make mistakes) they have an issue it's how they handle the issue that matters.

I don't think it's that at all. The out of spec upper(s) are a lot harder to detect than issues such as a live round in the chamber, wrong gas tubes, etc. When you're missing common sense things like that then you might want to start rethinking your QC procedures.

munch520
05-25-12, 12:02
I don't think it's that at all. The out of spec upper(s) are a lot harder to detect than issues such as a live round in the chamber, wrong gas tubes, etc. When you're missing common sense things like that then you might want to start rethinking your QC procedures.

Which they've stated they've fixed and will continue to monitor. 1 issue and we beat it to death...

http://jamiesharpe.info/image/comics/haters/haters_gonna_hate3.jpg

They offer some great deals and savings OP. To summarize the thread, if you see something you like at a price you can afford buy the ****ing thing. Then go over it with a fine tooth comb to ensure everything is good to go. If not, send it back and they'll take care of you. Other than getting emotional about brands, IDK what else needs to be said.

djmorris
05-25-12, 12:10
Which they've stated they've fixed and will continue to monitor. 1 issue and we beat it to death...

They offer some great deals and savings OP. To summarize the thread, if you see something you like at a price you can afford buy the ****ing thing. Then go over it with a fine tooth comb to ensure everything is good to go. If not, send it back and they'll take care of you. Other than getting emotional about brands, IDK what else needs to be said.

Are you blind? It wasn't one issue. That's the whole point. Yes they have resolved the issue. Time will tell if more pop up or not.

And why do you feel the need to post childish images? This is not TOS.

munch520
05-25-12, 12:14
Are you blind? It wasn't one issue. That's the whole point. Yes they have resolved the issue. Time will tell if more pop up or not.

And why do you feel the need to post childish images? This is not TOS.

How many issues was it? Out of how many total units sold? My point is, since you missed it deeejayyyy, that they had issues. They're supposedly past it, at that price give it a shot and see what you think. There's no point in bringing up some QC issue from 8 mos ago when things are running smoothly today.

Childish image? I like to laugh a little...and it's Friday. Sorry us ammeters try to have fun:suicide2:

~kev~
05-25-12, 12:52
They offer some great deals and savings OP. To summarize the thread, if you see something you like at a price you can afford buy the ****ing thing. Then go over it with a fine tooth comb to ensure everything is good to go. If not, send it back and they'll take care of you.

That is what I plan on doing.

I have about 2 weeks before my order is placed. This gives me time to consider any new ideas or suggestions. I do not like making purchases on spur of the moment decisions.

~~~~~~

To everyone bashing PSA due to a few mistakes:

Is ford junk because of the pinto?

Is chevy junk because of the chevette?

Is toyota junk because of the past braking issues?

Is colt junk because they stopped selling to the public?

Pork Chop
05-25-12, 12:58
I've bought a metric shit ton of stuff from Palmetto, to include now 3 complete PSA builds and half a dozen builds with PSA components for friends. To date, not one single product related issue. Now, sample size matters, but with me they've shown a good track record and I continue to buy they're stuff.

Having said that, I'll admit, I do have an issue with PSA...........they're shipping dept. sucks on ice. Lots of reports of people receiving the wrong stuff. It's happened twice to me & to others I know as well. It's also mind numbingly slow. I ordered a 14.7" upper not long ago & it was like watching a turd do the "sticky slinky" down a shallow slope.:sarcastic: Well past the estimated shipping times is seemingly standard practice.

My experience has been that their CS is great & always makes right on the shipping dept's shortcomings. They have good products & good prices & at some point their past mistakes will be forgotten if they continue their commitment to improving QC.

I'll personally keep buying from them. Like munch stated, if it fits your wants/needs & your budget, give it a shot. Just check it over really well.

dhena81
05-25-12, 13:53
I agree on the shipping it takes a long time for me it averages about 8-10 business days but now I know it takes forever. I'd be interested in getting their 20" CHF barreled upper when they have them in stock again.

Hehuhates
05-25-12, 14:01

Is that dude a priest?

Palmetto State Armory's roll mark kicks ass!!! Crossed cannons? I like it.
And I've got family in SC.

SW-Shooter
05-25-12, 16:40
I wish people would stop blowing the carbine gas tubes on middy uppers from PSA issue out of proportion. Did it happen? Yes. Was it resolved quickly by PSA? Yes.

Now, with that out of the way let's examine what happened. There were THREE mid-length uppers sent out with carbine gas tubes out of a batch of a little more than THREE HUNDRED mid-length uppers. That is less than 1% of one batch of uppers. It happened quite a while ago. It happened because the individual responsible did not follow the QC procedures. PSA took immediate corrective actions. They fired the individual responsible. They made the THREE uppers right. They changed their QC to include test firing of all of their uppers and rifles before shipping.

Very positive and pro-active steps from PSA to rectify the problem and insure the same issue never happens again. To continue to point fingers over this is disengenuous at best.

I didn't say it quite so eloquently, yet they still bashed away. The whole thing is that in this supposed "Quiet Professional" environment, there are quite a few people (with cutesy little titles under their name), that refuse to act with Dignity and Professionalism. It's the whole "you can lead a horse to water" thing. They have double standards and in my eyes that make one a hypocrite.

ac130usnsr
05-25-12, 18:28

Look, it was THREE gas tubes, by one individual (since fired) that failed to follow the QC procedures PSA had in place. Their QC procedures have been improved and made more stringent since that incident. Note that they had QC procedures in place and it was one lazy individual that did not follow procedure and he was fired for that.

As to the supposed live round in a chamber...I personally doubt that it happened. Here's why. This "information" was in a single post by an individual who had an axe to grind with PSA and there is no evidence other than the anecdotal claim by the angry customer that it happened. Plus it was in a "jump on the bandwagon and bash PSA thread". Think about it. Tell me how a live round could possibly stay in the chamber from test firing? No matter how you broke down the test assembly, the extractor would pull the round out of the chamber. Plus an unfired round with a FTE would have caused the upper to not pass the live fire QC test. I call BS on this claim.

As to your defense of BCM not catching the out of spec uppers because it's harder to catch, I call BS on that too. One of the things that gets bounced around here so often is that it does not matter where Brand X gets their parts from because they are quality parts to start with and Brand X does extensive QA/QC on what they buy to insure only the finest products leave their doors. Obviously not the case, as an upper not fitting on lowers at all, being milled off axis and having rails that deviate from spec is something that should have been caught before they even accepted that batch of uppers.

I'm not casting stones at anyone. BCM produces an exceptional product, but they are not without their lemons either. What makes their products exceptional is the quality of the materials and processes used to make them and the fact that when something goes wrong they stand behind their product and make it right. I see no difference with PSA. Again, apply the same standard across the board.

The one place I will fault PSA is their shipping department. Delays are one thing. You are even told when ordering that there will be a significant wait in shipping (5-7 or 15 business days for some items). What I take issue with is the too numerous instances of missent orders (i.e. they sent the order to the wrong address). Completely unsat. Although, this seems to be improving. Hopefully, PSA can fix their shipping problems in short order.

~kev~
05-25-12, 21:06
When you're missing common sense things like that then you might want to start rethinking your QC procedures.

Common sense, like chevy putting the fuel tank on the outside of the frames their trucks?

If you dont know what I am talking about, here is a link.

http://www.autosafety.org/history-gm-side-saddle-gas-tank-defect

When the fuel tank was on the outside of the frame, the tank was likely to rupture on a side collision. How did chevy miss such a simple design flaw? After all, only 10 million trucks were made with the fuel tanks on the outside of the frame.

I guess chevy is junk because of that issue?

SW-Shooter
05-25-12, 21:13
I have exactly 8 verifiable prior separate orders with PSA, not one problem with either one.

Holster makers like my favorite RCS has a much longer wait time, but wait times don't bother me because as an adult I've learned to have something called patience. Hell, even Barney taught that to some of you, or Mr. Rogers for us old timers. Be an adult and have a little patience, after-all we all know what the bible says about patience;

Romans 8:25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.

Proverbs 15:18 A hot-tempered man stirs up strife, but he who is slow to anger quiets contention.

I have 130+ deals on AR15.com, 248 on Ebay, 62 on Amazon, 17 on M4C (since itraders inception), 25 on GT, 4 with RCS, and I don't know how many with dozens of other vendors. I have had good deals, and bad ones. PSA has never done me wrong, therefore I am a loyal customer.

Striker
05-25-12, 23:27
This is a pointless discussion that happens every couple of months or so. First, PSA isn't the new BCM or DD. They aren't junk either. I know this because they haven't been around long enough to prove or disprove the product. They are the new player in the AR game. Time will tell whether or not they're top end player or just another AR company. They are trying to play on the DD level, but we're not going to know one way or the other until they get a lot more rifles out there and those rifles get run hard. That's a few years away. Until then my advice is if you want one, get one. Understand that this is not a proven piece of gear and you may or may not be getting a top end product. Your choice. If you want something proven, buy Daniel Defense, Colt, BCM, Noveske etc etc. If you want to take a chance, by all means PSA certainly seems to be an interesting gamble right now.

Megalomaniac
05-26-12, 00:13
As to the supposed live round in a chamber...I personally doubt that it happened. Here's why. This "information" was in a single post by an individual who had an axe to grind with PSA and there is no evidence other than the anecdotal claim by the angry customer that it happened. Plus it was in a "jump on the bandwagon and bash PSA thread". Think about it. Tell me how a live round could possibly stay in the chamber from test firing? No matter how you broke down the test assembly, the extractor would pull the round out of the chamber. Plus an unfired round with a FTE would have caused the upper to not pass the live fire QC test. I call BS on this claim.

I'm the guy who got the live round, I didn't have a problem with PSA UNTIL I got the live round, and then they didn't answer the phones (called around 45 min before the listed closing time,) and then didn't respond until later the next day, and then took two more tries to get me my complete original order.

SW-Shooter
05-26-12, 00:43
I'm the guy who got the live round, I didn't have a problem with PSA UNTIL I got the live round, and then they didn't answer the phones (called around 45 min before the listed closing time,) and then didn't respond until later the next day, and then took two more tries to get me my complete original order.

What was the headstamp of the round?

Airhasz
05-26-12, 01:57

This.....to many complaints buis adjusted way to the left to zero in. That's more than enough to count me out on psa.:D

MistWolf
05-26-12, 06:25
My experience with PSA and the rifle kit & lower I bought from them has been positive. There was an issue with the feedramps, but that was taken care of promptly and in a friendly and professional manner. I don't know how many rounds I've put through it, but there are 2500 rounds worth of empty ammo boxes sitting in the closet holding spent brass, rifle parts and magazines, and that's not counting the boxes I threw away. Maybe 750 rounds of that went through my precision AR instead of the carbine.

The only problems I've had after PSA fixed the feed ramps were traced to certain mags when experimenting with heavier buffers and/or Herter's steel cased 223 ammo. There have been no problems at all when running PMags with brass or steel cased ammo.

I did have a steel case get stuck in the chamber, but once I got home, it was easily removed. I have not babied this carbine. I do not clean it after every range session and when I do, I wipe down the BCG and run a Boresnake down the barrel a few times. The BCG does get lubed, usually with a spritz of oil when it dries out. I've heated the stainless steel barrel to the point the metal has taken on a deep bronze hue under the handguards. It's a gov profile and the coloring is where the barrel is thinnest.

Uppers are uppers and lowers are lowers. The PSA receivers I got seemed to be in spec. All the LPK parts went in without any trouble. Bolt is HTP/MPI which rides in a full auto carrier with properly staked gas key.

It's been very reliable with a carbine buffer and standard carbine spring with Federal 5.56 and .223 ammo. It's only had a couple of hiccups with the steel cased Herter's with the H buffer and an aluminum mag.

The only things I'd change is from a gov profile to a light profile barrel and swap the GI trigger for either an SSA or SSA-E.

One complaint I currently have is a canted FSB on the Wilson SS barrel. I knocked it straight with a hammer as suggested by (I think) IG, but it's gone back to it's original position. Since I'm using an Aimpoint (and am giving serious consideration to trimming the FSB down) it's just a minor annoyance. If i were running iron sights, it would be bigger problem because my rear sight has run almost completely out of windage. (What is strange, when I first got the rifle, I was asked how the rear sight lined up. It was only a couple clicks off from mechanical center.)

I really like my PSA. It's been a good rifle and customer service was outstanding. It's true that I have never gotten through when I called on the phone, but they responded quickly when I PM'd them at this site. Shipping was a bit slow, but my order came in days, not weeks. I am also very satisfied with the service received when I ordered the H1 they had on sale for $450 or so. PSA is one of the "Good Guys"

Megalomaniac
05-26-12, 09:34
What was the headstamp of the round?

Lake City and a NATO mark on it. Upper came out of the box and as I was inspecting it I pulled the bolt out and pooped my pants when the round came popping out. It also had the wrong muzzle brake, was missing the rail kit for the SS15, had tons of scratches and marks on the brass deflector, and looked heavily test fired (lots of carbon and lube as compared to the last upper from them).

~kev~
05-26-12, 11:46
Anyone know what kind of warranty PSA offers?

Is it one year, lifetime,,, or something else?

ac130usnsr
05-26-12, 11:56
Anyone know what kind of warranty PSA offers?

Is it one year, lifetime,,, or something else?

Lifetime for defects in materials or workmanship and is transferable.

bsem
05-26-12, 17:26
You know guys, I've ordered a PSA upper before and it was an awesome experience. It did take a while to get it, 2.5 weeks, but when I called twice the first time the nice girl on the phone gave me an update immediately. The second time their system was down and the girl said she'd call me back, I procured she never would. Two hours later I got an update that my upper was shipping in the morning.

EXCELLENT customer service. The upper itself is nice. I never clean it and it works. Don't know how many rounds through it though.

SW-Shooter
05-26-12, 19:53
Lake City and a NATO mark on it. Upper came out of the box and as I was inspecting it I pulled the bolt out and pooped my pants when the round came popping out. It also had the wrong muzzle brake, was missing the rail kit for the SS15, had tons of scratches and marks on the brass deflector, and looked heavily test fired (lots of carbon and lube as compared to the last upper from them).

PSA only tests their rifles with High Pressure Proof Loads.

How did PSA handle this?

twodollarbill
05-26-12, 21:19
I have not ordered any of their rifles.
I do buy vendor products from them and I have found their customer service to be A+

Megalomaniac
05-26-12, 21:43
Once I finally got through to CS, they were quick to send out a new upper upgraded to a Hammer Forged Barrel, at this point I got optimistic about PSA as a company, I was disappointed again.

There were still problems when I got upper #2 it as, it has the wrong rail 12" Rail not the 15" that I ordered, still missing the accessory rail kit, comp was on the upper but visibly misaligned (only slightly), and no RMA paperwork for upper #1.

I called again and was told that I okay'd the short rail, which I did not do, and that may be the part that pissed me off the most being directly lied to about the rail. Still no explanation for the accessory rails missing, and no explanation for the RMA tag missing for upper #1.

The third and last upper from them was correct, had the kit, had the comp on properly, and a zip tie through the chamber to show it was unloaded.

As far as the chambered round being Lake City, that is what came out. I still have it I keep it my desk drawer, round is FMJ, case is marked with the NATO cross mark, LC, and then either II or 11 or ll.

thehammer69
05-27-12, 16:17
I have recently built an AR15 using a PSA stripped lower and a midlength upper from PSA that is from their recent midlength madness sale.

The upper is a Cold Hammer Forged 16" and came with basic mid length handguards and did not come with BCG or CH. Visual inspection showed feed ramps were in alignment and FSB was not canted. I did change out the basic handguards to a Magpul MOE. I used a BCM BCG and a BCM Gunfighter charging handle that I picked up from G&R.

I mated the upper to a lower that I put together from a PSA Gadsden flag stripped lower that I installed a RRA LPK and 2-stage NM trigger. I used the RRA stuff because I had picked it up 4 years ago before I knew better. I figured I had them so i might as well use it. The rest of the lower is a Magpul CTR, H-buffer, and Blue Springco Spring; which I also picked those up from G&R.

I fired the weapon yesterday at the end of a tactical training course I attended. I cycled 20 rounds of Federal XM193 5.56 followed by 20 rounds of PMC .223 brass and followed by 100 rounds of MFS .223 zinc plated steel.

With a Magpul rear MBUS mounted, the gun shot accurate with zero adjustments. No issues what so ever. It cycled all the ammo without issue. I did notice the .223 felt softer than the 5.56, but still cycled reliably.

So as far as I'm concerned, the PSA stuff seems GTG to me.

Here is the picture of the rifle:

Before Build:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c313/djmoody69/AR15/2012-05-19_11-18-38_816.jpg

After Build:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c313/djmoody69/AR15/2012-05-19_13-57-41_99.jpg

~kev~
05-27-12, 18:43
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c313/djmoody69/AR15/2012-05-19_13-57-41_99.jpg

That is the exact build I am looking for, but in OD green.

thehammer69
05-27-12, 20:22
That is the exact build I am looking for, but in OD green.

You won't be dissapointed

skorcher247
05-28-12, 14:50
Can't wait to order my dissy upper. If my LPK and some other fun stuff wasn't still pending 12 days later and not even shipped, I don't even wanna know how long it's going to take to assemble and upper.

Salamander
05-30-12, 23:16
Can't wait to order my dissy upper. If my LPK and some other fun stuff wasn't still pending 12 days later and not even shipped, I don't even wanna know how long it's going to take to assemble and upper.

I ordered a LPK from them over the holiday weekend, and got an e-mail before 5:00 pm yesterday... the first business day after the holiday... that it had shipped. Considering there must have been a backlog of weekend orders to process, it's hard to complain about an eight-hour turnaround.

Just checked the tracking number, and it's currently on a UPS truck somewhere in Indiana. Looks like it will be about four or five days from order processing to my door, coast to coast.

Thus far, that makes me happy.

cbr
05-31-12, 00:03
I ordered a few small parts from them on Thursday or Friday to take advantage of the free shipping. Had my order Tuesday. I thought that was pretty good for a holiday weekend.

smitty704
05-31-12, 04:32
I have recently built an AR15 using a PSA stripped lower and a midlength upper from PSA that is from their recent midlength madness sale.

The upper is a Cold Hammer Forged 16" and came with basic mid length handguards and did not come with BCG or CH. Visual inspection showed feed ramps were in alignment and FSB was not canted. I did change out the basic handguards to a Magpul MOE. I used a BCM BCG and a BCM Gunfighter charging handle that I picked up from G&R.

I mated the upper to a lower that I put together from a PSA Gadsden flag stripped lower that I installed a RRA LPK and 2-stage NM trigger. I used the RRA stuff because I had picked it up 4 years ago before I knew better. I figured I had them so i might as well use it. The rest of the lower is a Magpul CTR, H-buffer, and Blue Springco Spring; which I also picked those up from G&R.

I fired the weapon yesterday at the end of a tactical training course I attended. I cycled 20 rounds of Federal XM193 5.56 followed by 20 rounds of PMC .223 brass and followed by 100 rounds of MFS .223 zinc plated steel.

With a Magpul rear MBUS mounted, the gun shot accurate with zero adjustments. No issues what so ever. It cycled all the ammo without issue. I did notice the .223 felt softer than the 5.56, but still cycled reliably.

So as far as I'm concerned, the PSA stuff seems GTG to me.

Here is the picture of the rifle:

Before Build:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c313/djmoody69/AR15/2012-05-19_11-18-38_816.jpg

After Build:

Nice looking rifle brother!

Looks just like mine when it first started its life except mine was black.

Before:
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8875/dsc00310h.jpg

After:
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5281/dsc00526zg.jpg

stats:
14.7" CHF CL LW midlength upper w/ pinned A2 FH
5.56 NATO 1/7 twist
PSA BCG
PSA lower & PSA LPK
Magpul MOE stock, grip and extended trigger guard
Magpul RVG, rear MBUS, and XTM rail covers
Midwest Industries midlength(9") gen 2 2 piece drop in rail
Streamlight Polytac LED in a VTAC light mount
VTAC mk1 sling with GG&G QD swivel
Primary Arms micro red dot with fixed base on a UTG mount
Magpul B.A.D. lever(not in this pic)
Running Pmags

Great shooter! PSA is great.

I also ordered some ammo over the holiday weekend, and got an email yesterday with a tracking number saying my order shipped. Can't beat that!

skorcher247
05-31-12, 10:15
It's been 16 days of order pending now. :/ I ordered before this holiday and the free shipping business too. Kinda lame.

mallowpufft
05-31-12, 11:27
It's been 16 days of order pending now. :/ I ordered before this holiday and the free shipping business too. Kinda lame.

They are sow as **** with their shipping. I ordered a 20" upper from them around the new year and it didn't ship for 14 days. I ordered ammo from them during this free shipping thing and it took 10 days to ship.
Upper runs well though. I've only got 540 rounds through it and I've had 3 failures to hold the bolt open but all 3 were with the same lot of TulAmmo and I expect things like that from weaker Russian ammo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Vgex2
05-31-12, 15:29
I asked what barrel steel is being used in their 16" M4 Madness sale. They told me 7075-T6 steel.

PalmettoStateArmory
05-31-12, 16:19
I asked what barrel steel is being used in their 16" M4 Madness sale. They told me 7075-T6 steel.

I'm not sure who you spoke to, but we got rid of someone in customer service today for reasons like this.

The M4 Madness uppers have 4150 barrel steel.

ffhounddog
05-31-12, 16:39
Just got my barrel from PSA. Looks good and it is an intresting profile to say the least.

Need to find a Gas tube now local is out and most of the good folks are out too.

BigSal
05-31-12, 20:33
They are slow as **** with their shipping.

I ordered a complete lower last Friday and got confirmation that they shipped it out on Weds. Since it probably took a while for my FFL to fax his material over to them, I think its safe to say they have a reasonably fast shipping time. :confused:

mallowpufft
05-31-12, 20:47
I ordered a complete lower last Friday and got confirmation that they shipped it out on Weds. Since it probably took a while for my FFL to fax his material over to them, I think its safe to say they have a reasonably fast shipping time. :confused:

Nice. I've not had a problem with my upper and am quite satisfied with it. Maybe for their M4 Madness thing they were prepared or hired more staff. Either way it's good to see them stepping up their game a bit as I think they make a good product.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Tomahawk_Ghost
06-01-12, 10:04
I purchased one of their "lighter weight" barrel uppers. Put it on a Aero Precision lower I put together myself. I put 5 mags of surplus South African ammo through it two weekends ago, no problems, the gun is accurate. This weekend I'm going to replace the 1-4 with an Aimpoint PRO I purchased from them at $359 :happy: I want to change the light and sling mount eventually but I'm OK where it is now.

Shipping has always been prompt and CS has been good.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/Cross_Steel/stuff/STRifle.jpg

munch520
06-03-12, 10:56
Is that dude a priest?

Lol no idea. Didn't notice that before but sure looks like it!