PDA

View Full Version : Well guys lets hear the criticism.

Gunfighter.45
01-12-08, 00:36
Here she is agin, so lets hear what you have to say guys.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u57/gunfighter308/AR15027.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u57/gunfighter308/AR15026.jpg

KevinB
01-12-08, 00:56
I'm not a big fan of the YHM rail due to its "locking" system.

and I'd get a sling for the carbine, and a light for both guns...

imua
01-12-08, 03:52
Looks good to me.

sgtlmj
01-12-08, 07:11
Needs Krylon. Target indicator black is soooo last year.

j/k Looks great!

...but really, it needs some Krylon.

:p

Sam
01-12-08, 08:06
The only difference from your last iteration is that you took off the single point sling and got rid of the floppy nylon holster. :)

Jay Cunningham
01-12-08, 10:17
Vickers extended mag release on the Glock, if not already on there.

M4arc
01-12-08, 10:26
Vickers extended mag release on the Glock, if not already on there.

That's a G21 and Larry isn't making his mag release for the larger framed Glocks yet.

I think you need a Vickers 2-point sling and if it was me I'd put a LaRue EoTech mount on it. I'm also not a fan of the YHM rear sight. Because it doesn't lay flush on the upper it tends to snag on stuff. I had one on for a class...then it was removed and sold in favor of a Troy.

Other than that I like it!

Jay Cunningham
01-12-08, 10:31
That's a G21 and Larry isn't making his mag release for the larger framed Glocks yet.

The devil is always in the details.

rob_s
01-12-08, 10:37
Rifle:
Ditch the Eotech for an Aimpoint in a Larue or ADM mount
Ditch the YHM rail for a Daniel Defense Omega
Ditch the rear sight for a fixed Larue or LMT
Swap the TD front grip for a stubby
Ditch the tape-switch for a thumb-activated
Ditch the ARMS light mount for an Larue or ADM
Put the smooth front strap on the MIAD

Pistol:
Warren rear sight
Light (either hand-held or rail-mounted)

Hey, you asked. :D

In all seriousness though, the YHM rail just doesn't "fit". You went top-shelf with the lower and upper, stock and grips, and then cheesed out at the end with the rail. With all the money you have sunk in that gun, getting a good rail would have only cost you maybe 5%-10% of the total cost more.

BushmasterFanBoy
01-12-08, 11:06
I'd swap the YHM rail with a LaRue rail. Get a Vickers 2-point BFG sling, and a Safariland 6004 holster for the Glock. Also, ditch the YHM rear BUIS and get a Troy folder or LaRue fixed (its your call, I prefer folders though) After this, it becomes preference.

I'd say swap the Vortex for a phantom FH. (IIRC in pics, the phantom works best at night) Swap the TD VFG for something less gigantic like a KAC VFG. While you are getting the LaRue rail, go with a 9.0, and a Low Profile gas block. (This loses your fixed FSB) as well as a folding Troy FS.

Oh and I second Rob's recomendation to that ugly A2 front strap off your MIAD. That nub is finger rubbing tumah!

C4IGrant
01-12-08, 11:14
I'm not a big fan of the YHM rail due to its "locking" system.

and I'd get a sling for the carbine, and a light for both guns...

Agree. Pass on the YHM stuff.

Agree on the lights.

C4

Pinnacle
01-12-08, 11:19
Rifle:

Pistol:
Warren rear sight

In all seriousness though, the YHM rail just doesn't "fit". You went top-shelf with the lower and upper, stock and grips, and then cheesed out at the end with the rail. With all the money you have sunk in that gun, getting a good rail would have only cost you maybe 5%-10% of the total cost more.

Nice carbine!!:)

I agree with Rob though. I don't own an Omega so I would have to say DD or Larue FF handguard. The DD 9.5 that wraps around the FSB is very very nice!!

The VLTOR upper and Sun Devil lower combo sure is a tight fit, isn't it? I have a couple Sun Devil lowers mated to VIS uppers and they are still tight after some pretty serious use.

sigmeister229
01-12-08, 11:53
I love it!! I just have a plain Jane S&W AR15 for now and the Glock 21 SF. what type of AR magazines do you have?

taliv
01-12-08, 14:27
educate me on the YHM stuff. what is it you guys don't like about it?
i know it's a bit heavier and a lot cheaper. are they prone to breaking? or just suboptimal

C4IGrant
01-12-08, 14:36
educate me on the YHM stuff. what is it you guys don't like about it?
i know it's a bit heavier and a lot cheaper. are they prone to breaking? or just suboptimal

Heavy, large, sharp and tend to come loose unless they are loctited on. Loctite + torque = PITA if you want to replace them.

C4

The_Biased_Observer
01-12-08, 14:38
Heavy, large, sharp and tend to come loose unless they are loctited on. Loctite + torque = PITA if you want to replace them.

C4

The new YHM setups have antirotation pins.

C4IGrant
01-12-08, 14:45
The new YHM setups have antirotation pins.

I have seen them. I don't know that I like the rails any with them than I do without them.

C4

rob_s
01-12-08, 16:10
I just don't like their construction. They are cheaper for a reason. The DD and the LT are machined "in" (for lack of a better term) and the YHM is a tube with rails on the outside. In the next month or so I intend to order an LT 7.0 and a Daniel Defense Omega, and I already have a YHM for a .22 project. I'll get some pics then of what I'm talking about.

RD62
01-12-08, 16:51
I too was kind of surprised with your choice of rails. I too would go DD or Larue. I'd also ditch the rear sight for a new one. I'm a fan of standard front and folder rear, so I'd keep your FSB and probably go with a Troy folding rear. I'm running the same front strap on my MAID without issue, and also a Vortex. Although the Vortex will kick up alot of dust in the prone position. But it is manageable, and preference. I like the EOTech, if you want a riser get one. If not don't, it's your rifle. After handling one I am really liking the new stubby grips, and am contemplating either cutting mine off or replacing it with a new one. I just dumped my tapeswitch after trying a new light mount and position and am really liking the thumb activation now, and with the higher hold the shorter VFG seems like it would work better. On the same note, those running the stubby TangoDowns, do the caps on the new ones come off? Any one cut theirs off? How'd it turn out?

-RD62

Shihan
01-12-08, 16:56
I'd say swap the Vortex for a phantom FH. (IIRC in pics, the phantom works best at night) \

Its the other way around but from what I have seen the Vortex only slightly beats it out in terms of FS. I do prefer the Phantom in terms of durability.

Gunfighter.45
01-12-08, 19:03
Rifle:

Pistol:
Warren rear sight

I have to agree on the rail, you are 150% right,but what you said on the Eotech, that is a negitive a lot of the guys in the sand box would disagree on that, and so would a lot of special contractors if you catch my meaning,for a lot of these guys the Aimpoint stinks,but my guess is, it all falls under the category of preference.

rob_s
01-12-08, 19:33
I have to agree on the rail, you are 150% right,but what you said on the Eotech, that is a negitive a lot of the guys in the sand box would disagree on that, and so would a lot of special contractors if you catch my meaning,for a lot of these guys the Aimpoint stinks,but my guess is, it all falls under the category of preference.

Pretty much everyone that I talk to that uses them for a living and gets to choose would choose the Aimpoint. I've never heard anyone say it "stinks". Some may prefer the reticule on the Eotech, or may make up BS reasons they prefer it without having used both, but the number of people that have gone E to A dwarfs the number that have gone the other way.

There are inherent design flaws in the Eotech that they continue to ignore (assuming that isn't a rule 4 violation, if so someone can edit it out).

rhino
01-12-08, 20:54
Here she is agin, so lets hear what you have to say guys.

Q: Is the sling swivel/mount at the forward part of your stock part of the stock, or is it a separate part?

Robb Jensen
01-12-08, 23:19
I can barely see them in your pics of your YHM rail, but from your pics you do appear have the latest YHM rails which have the anti-rotational screws on each side of you're rail. You would be one BAD M***** F***** to bust one loose. The older (older than yours) YHM rails are fine, just dated technology. They hold up fine but are heavier and bulkier than the modern DD and LaRue rails other than weight and size. You do have the latest ones by YHM so you have no worries.

xcibes
01-12-08, 23:32
Since you asked here it is:

Your barrel's too long
Your FH vibrates too much
Your rail is too fancy
Your forward pg is not needed and neither is that expensive light
your receiver's not colt
your pg is too complex
your eotech is too ugly
your rear sight is crooked
your rigger guard is bent
your magazines are plastic junk..............

Just kidding....it looks fine with me, personally i am not a big fan of rails but that's just me. I would have to concur on the BUIS...Troy all the way.....I just got a MaTech for mine but I will get a Troy as soon as I have some $$$
man I wish I had the $$$$ to finish mine :mad:

boltcatch
01-13-08, 00:13
Pretty much everyone that I talk to that uses them for a living and gets to choose would choose the Aimpoint. I've never heard anyone say it "stinks". Some may prefer the reticule on the Eotech, or may make up BS reasons they prefer it without having used both, but the number of people that have gone E to A dwarfs the number that have gone the other way.

There are inherent design flaws in the Eotech that they continue to ignore (assuming that isn't a rule 4 violation, if so someone can edit it out).

I really, truly prefer the EOTech reticle.

And I still sold it and got an Aimpoint. Those here who know what they're talking about have been shown right about most of the other stuff, no reason to think they're wrong about that either. You don't have to do *everything* they tell you, but if you take it as a starting point at least, you'll save a lot of time and money.

Gunfighter.45
01-13-08, 02:38
Q: Is the sling swivel/mount at the forward part of your stock part of the stock, or is it a separate part?

rhino it is a separate part, it's a TangoDown PR-4 sling mount, push button realease,it actually mounts on the castle nut,it's also has two other position,lefty and rear mounts.

Gunfighter.45
01-13-08, 03:02
I love it!! I just have a plain Jane S&W AR15 for now and the Glock 21 SF. what type of AR magazines do you have?

I have total of 20 Magpul pmags,two HK mags, and 10 of the USGI mags all with the Magpul followers.