PDA

View Full Version : smart phone for dumb user??????

jmoore
05-22-12, 15:12
Well, the old flip phone is starting to show signs of crapping out on me. It has served me well - as a phone and for sending something called "text messages". (Hell - I still have the bag phone in the closet:)

My SO keeps pushing me to get a "smart" phone, and I generally resist. OTOH - I also recall how I resisted the switch to red dot sights - boy was I wrong on that one! (Geezer eyes love em!!!)

There seem to be a zillion types of smart phones out there - though my wife has an actual iPhone (4?). My question - are there any pros or cons - ones to select, or ones to stay away from? If it matters - We're on AT&T.

One of my initial fears was spending those kinda bucks - and then having it take a bath! It sppears that some of the "lifeproof" cases have solved that problem for $50+. Any suggestions for alternative cases (which will need a belt holster, as I rarely wear cargo pants except at the range.)

TIA to all the techies!

geezer john

chadbag
05-22-12, 15:39
Since she has an iPhone, if you both have iPhones, you can (legally) share one iTunes account and install apps you purchase on both phones without issue.

There are other advantages as well but I'll leave it to others to do the promotion

Well, the old flip phone is starting to show signs of crapping out on me. It has served me well - as a phone and for sending something called "text messages". (Hell - I still have the bag phone in the closet:)

My SO keeps pushing me to get a "smart" phone, and I generally resist. OTOH - I also recall how I resisted the switch to red dot sights - boy was I wrong on that one! (Geezer eyes love em!!!)

There seem to be a zillion types of smart phones out there - though my wife has an actual iPhone (4?). My question - are there any pros or cons - ones to select, or ones to stay away from? If it matters - We're on AT&T.

One of my initial fears was spending those kinda bucks - and then having it take a bath! It sppears that some of the "lifeproof" cases have solved that problem for $50+. Any suggestions for alternative cases (which will need a belt holster, as I rarely wear cargo pants except at the range.)

TIA to all the techies!

geezer john

BrigandTwoFour
05-22-12, 15:41
Any smartphone will take up pocket space, but nowhere near your flip phone. Newer phones are the thickness of a few credit cards. If you choose to use a belt holster, then you should be able to find one for any of the most popular models.

I have used iPhone and Android based models the most. Between the two, iPhone is better for people who aren't familiar with computers. Android is definitely geared more towards people who like to tinker with their phones and the software therein.

If you are clumsy and drop your phone a lot on hard surfaces, or in the water, then I don't know what to tell you. They are handheld computers and don't much like hard impacts. A good case can help, but will increase bulk. There are some companies out now offering a water-proofing coating, but I don't know how prices will work out.

I've never handled a windows phone, so I can't comment on those.

VooDoo6Actual
05-22-12, 15:52
Your going to get a plethora of opinions.

I have both "iOS" & Android.

imo, the iPhone is more Intuitive User Interface friendly.

as always YMMV....

chadbag
05-22-12, 15:58
Your going to get a plethora of opinions.

That's an understatement... ;)

jmoore
05-22-12, 16:18
If you are clumsy and drop your phone a lot on hard surfaces, or in the water, then I don't know what to tell you. .

It's not so much that I'm a clutz, but that I tend to always carry my phone in my shirt pocket. When I bend over - well, there it goes. I tend to not put anything of worth in my rear pants pockets, as being 6'5" and 290#, if I sit on something - it usually dies:) The front pockets are occupied by a flashlight and big-ass-knife, hence my thoughts on moving to a belt holster.

Thanks for the input gang!

geezer john

SeriousStudent
05-22-12, 19:31
May I recommend Otterbox cases for you? They are quite sturdy and water-resistant.

I think I would rather recommend a future wife than a future phone, however. Good luck with whatever you pick.

RogerinTPA
05-22-12, 20:25
I second the iPhone. After using a Blackberry for many years, the iPhone was the easiest to handle and light years ahead of the Blackberry. It's easy to set it up how you wanted after a little practice. As far as cases are concerned, Otter box was too bulky for me and difficult to retrieve when strapped into my aircraft. I've found that a Morphie Juicebox case (full wrap around rubber), which has a built in battery, with a good screen protector, was the best selection for me and worked great. It'll give you 3-4 days of power, depending upon usage and type purchased. Since I work in Afghanistan, being able to get and send emails out in the middle of nowhere, without dragging a computer along, is an awesome thing.

mallowpufft
05-22-12, 20:43
iPhone is great if you don't like to tinker. Plus the whole sharing an iTunes account is nice.
I'm a fan of android OS. I recently picked up a Samsung Rugby Smart from ATT. Specs out pretty close to the iPhone 4 but is dust proof, shock resistant, and water proof for 30 minutes at 1m (IPX7 spec?) . Not shabby. Not as speedy as the 4s but I don't play games on my phone. Email, social media, tapatalk and eBay. And Netflix for when I need the kids to quiet down for a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

chadbag
05-22-12, 21:45
It's not so much that I'm a clutz, but that I tend to always carry my phone in my shirt pocket. When I bend over - well, there it goes. I tend to not put anything of worth in my rear pants pockets, as being 6'5" and 290#, if I sit on something - it usually dies:) The front pockets are occupied by a flashlight and big-ass-knife, hence my thoughts on moving to a belt holster.

The iPhone, as well as most Android phones (and I would assume most WP7 phones [windows phone]) use Gorilla Glass for the screen. It is really tough. The original iPhone was the only one I bothered with a screen protector on. Having said that, I do have a couple light scratches on my current iPhone 4S on the screen, but I don't notice them unless I look for them or the light hits them just right (which is not a normal viewing angle). Don't bother me in the least. It (and I would assume most other modern phones form other manufacturers) treat the Gorilla Glass with coatings which making them more fingerprint resistant [you do get finger smudges but they come off really easy] and nice and smooth and I don't like the feel of the screen protectors.

I use a Magpul case on my iPhone, no screen protector, and use my front pants pockets to carry the phone (usually the non keys side but sometimes they keys side as well).

I met a guy who had the otterbox for his iPhone 4 and had it on the passenger seat of his car and had a full big drink cup tip and put over an inch of liquid in the seat (sports car with bucket-type leather seats, treated leather, so the liquid did not soak in). He was glad for the otterbox case. I find it too bulky for my normal needs.

LMT42
05-22-12, 22:33
It has served me well - as a phone and for sending something called "text messages". My SO keeps pushing me to get a "smart" phone

I too have held off switching to a smart phone. Since I don't use my phone for business I'm able to use a cheap plan for talk and text. The smart phone plans seem to start at $100.00 a month and go up from there (perhaps you can get them cheaper on a family plan). You usually have to sign a contract as well. I believe two years is typical.

I'm considering buying a used iPhone 4 on craigslist ($200-$250) and using Wal-Mart's Straight Talk. There's no contract and you get unlimited talk/text/data for a flat $45.00 per month. They supposedly buy bulk minutes from AT&T and use their cell towers. I'm told it's true 3G speed too. The only drawback is that you won't have roaming and are limited to AT&T's coverage. That's not a big deal for me since I don't travel much.

http://www.technewsdaily.com/1893-how-to-buy-a-used-atat-iphone-.html

Just tossing out ideas and hoping to get some feedback myself. Thanks.

usmcvet
07-13-13, 16:43
Looking to get the wife an iPhone 5 I'm a Verizon customer now but my work phone is paid for and her slider cost me about forty bucks a month. Any of you have good intel on the straight talk plan from Wally World? I've done lots of searching but would like to hear from people I trust here on m4c. I know it's a big hit to buy the phone but hell it's $55 less a month. Thanks.

filthy phil
07-13-13, 17:03
I have the new galaxy s4 on att and the thing is fantastic.
The android os is very quick to pick up.
I pocket carry it.( I refuse to wear one on a belt.) In jeans that fit a little loose.
Youre right about the $50 protective case. Made by ballistic. Its a good investment for a $225 phone

jmp45
07-13-13, 17:31
Moved from droid to iphone 5 last fall, couldn't be happier. Magpul case, cargo pocket. Can reach it easily sitting or standing. They might be a little more secure too, others can chime in on that.

usmcvet
07-13-13, 19:58
I had a few Blackberry phones and switched to android, I've had three Motorola's and have the Galaxy Note II now, thing is awesome. I wanted to get my wife the G3 but she picked up the iPhone and said oh this is just like my iPad. My son and I laughed.

Anyone use straight talk?

.46caliber
07-13-13, 20:41
I had a few Blackberry phones and switched to android, three Motorola's and have the Galaxy Note II, thing is awesome. I wanted to get my wife the G3 but she picked up the iPhone and said oh this is just like my iPad. My son and I laughed.

Anyone use straight talk?
I just looked into straight talk, but TMo's plans are about the same and customer support is at least in part, US based. StraightTalk piggy backs the TMo network, they no longer provide SIMs for ATT.

So with the cost and network being the same, we opted for TMo because of better customer support/service. TMo plans are now contract free and you can buy devices in full or monthly installments. We bought our phones outright from Google. Nexus 4, $299 for hers and $349 for mine.

We pay ~$90 a month for two smart phones. If memory serves you can do it for as little as $80.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

usmcvet
07-14-13, 06:26
I just looked into straight talk, but TMo's plans are about the same and customer support is at least in part, US based. StraightTalk piggy backs the TMo network, they no longer provide SIMs for ATT.

So with the cost and network being the same, we opted for TMo because of better customer support/service. TMo plans are now contract free and you can buy devices in full or monthly installments. We bought our phones outright from Google. Nexus 4, $299 for hers and $349 for mine.

We pay ~$90 a month for two smart phones. If memory serves you can do it for as little as $80.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you.