PDA

View Full Version : Milling Glock Slide for an RMR

K.L. Davis
05-22-12, 16:36
Does anyone have the drawings to mill a Glock slide for the RMR?

dougwg
05-23-12, 11:37
Yes...

MrMiller
05-29-12, 22:59
As do we.

PRGGodfather
05-29-12, 23:05
Doug did some beautiful work on my G19. Just got it today. Gotta wait for the frame to come in is all.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s257/eanormandy/Guns/BCERMR.jpg

chadil1ac
05-29-12, 23:52
Doug did some beautiful work on my G19. Just got it today. Gotta wait for the frame to come in is all. Will post pics later, unless Doug would like to do it now... ;)

Thanks, brother. Good stuff.

I saw a picture of that on another site. Words can barely describe how amazing that looks.

You all will see what I mean when a picture gets posted.

ETA: VERY nice work! I may have to run my Glock by there in the future.

PRGGodfather
05-30-12, 18:26
Photo attached.

ghostrider1
05-30-12, 18:47
I WANT ONE!!!!!:cray:

duece71
05-30-12, 19:04
Looks good, what holster are you going to be using?

PRGGodfather
05-30-12, 20:37
For this gun, Raven Concealment Systems Phantom and Phantom Light Compatible. I especially like the wing belt loops for OTWB concealment.

DocGKR
06-01-12, 18:09
Nice looking! Doug did a GREAT job.

Let's get together and shoot!

hunt_ak
06-01-12, 18:39
Doug, what do you re-coat the slide with after milling?

dougwg
06-01-12, 19:16
Doug, what do you re-coat the slide with after milling?
It's re-finished in black nitride.

S&W calls it Melonite
Glock calls it Tennifer.

Or we can do Nickle Boron, (same as FailZero, EXO, NIB-X)

sparkman
06-01-12, 20:02
Doug did some beautiful work on my G19. Just got it today. Gotta wait for the frame to come in is all.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/
s257/eanormandy/Guns/BCERMR.jpg

I had the pleasure of seeing your slide @Dougs shop a couple of weeks ago..
VERY nice!

PRGGodfather
06-01-12, 20:42
He is definitely a master. And yes, Doc, let's shoot!

THCDDM4
05-02-13, 17:04
I was referred to someone to do some milling/machining work. I have never dealt with the guy, but he came highly recommended by someone I trust (Local gun smith I have been using for years and he is great/very knowledgeable) and he's never steared me wrong in the past.

I took a G19 & M&P 9FS to this guys shop to have them both milled for RMR's and was told Glocks are not to be milled for an RMR, due to the metal used in the slide and how it isn't heat treated so it is "soft" underneath the tennifer coating. No issue with the S&W, he said he could do it.

I decided to hold off on getting the M&P milled by him as I was unsure of the guy's skill/quality level- because of the "Glocks" cant be milled" info he gave me that was questionable in my mind...

It didn't make sense to me, so I told him I would be in contact if I wanted the work done in the future. I searched here and found several threads with Glocks slides being milled for an RMR. But no discussion regarding any issues with doing so.

He stated that due to glock not heat treating the steel and only treating it with Tennifer coatings; milling it would cause softer areas of metal/the slide to be exposed and decrease the overall strength of the slide.

Not sure of any of this as I cannot find much here or elsewhere on the subject. TOS has a thread with a bit of info, but nothing solid, seemed more anecdotal than anything...

Is this guy overreacting & ignorant in his assertion? I feel he is; as the small amount of milling wouldn't seem to present a problem to me- but I am no metalurgist or milling/machining expert...

So what say you? Is there any issues with milling glock slides or is this guy being ignorant/rediculous?

Also, anyone know a Colorado shop that does GREAT work and can mill slides in a quality fashion, or would my money be better spent sending it to one of the great folks here to have it done (Doug)?

Thanks in advance!

MrMiller
05-02-13, 17:10
mine in bold

I was referred to someone to do some milling/machining work. I have never dealt with the guy, but he came highly recommended by someone I trust (Local gun smith I have been using for years and he is great/very knowledgeable) and he's never steared me wrong in the past.

I took a G19 & M&P 9FS to this guys shop to have them both milled for RMR's and was told Glocks are not to be milled for an RMR, due to the metal used in the slide and how it isn't heat treated so it is "soft" underneath the tennifer coating.

That is completely incorrect. While the Tennifer surface is much harder than the steel of the rest of the slide it isn't 'soft' by any stretch.

No issue with the S&W, he said he could do it.

I decided to hold off on getting the M&P milled by him as I was unsure of the guy's skill/quality level- because of the "Glocks" cant be milled" info he gave me that was questionable in my mind...

It didn't make sense to me, so I told him I would be in contact if I wanted the work done in the future. I searched here and found several threads with Glocks slides being milled for an RMR. But no discussion regarding any issues with doing so.

In all of the many slides that I've milled (vast majority Glocks) I can't say I've encountered anyone having a problem with the slide due to the installation process.

He stated that due to glock not heat treating the steel and only treating it with Tennifer coatings; milling it would cause softer areas of metal/the slide to be exposed and decrease the overall strength of the slide.

The milled area isn't a stressed area of the slide. This is a complete non-issue.

Not sure of any of this as I cannot find much here or elsewhere on the subject. TOS has a thread with a bit of info, but nothing solid, seemed more anecdotal than anything...

Is this guy overreacting & ignorant in his assertion? I feel he is; as the small amount of milling wouldn't seem to present a problem to me- but I am no metalurgist or milling/machining expert...

So what say you? Is there any issues with milling glock slides or is this guy being ignorant/rediculous?

No issue whatsoever. Overreaction at best.

Also, anyone know a Colorado shop that does GREAT work and can mill slides in a quality fashion, or would my money be better spent sending it to one of the great folks here to have it done (Doug)?

Thanks in advance!

THCDDM4
05-02-13, 17:29
mine in bold

Thanks for your reply sir. I appreciate it.

It seemed a bit more than suspect to say the least, but I had to ask here to make sure.

Thanks again and take care!

jamaicanj
05-02-13, 23:42
Mark Housel from L&M Precision did the mailing on my gen4 17. Awesome job, fair price, quick turnaround and a gentleman to deal with.

chadil1ac
05-03-13, 09:14
Good call on not getting your work done by your local guy.

I would send it to Doug and be done with it. Both the M&P and Glock.

okie john
05-03-13, 10:25
I took a G19 & M&P 9FS to this guys shop to have them both milled for RMR's and was told Glocks are not to be milled for an RMR, due to the metal used in the slide and how it isn't heat treated so it is "soft" underneath the tennifer coating.

Sounds like he's got it confused with case hardening. Either way, it's smart to avoid him, at least for this job.

Okie John

armed_zebra
05-03-13, 10:27
Check out the Unity Tactical Atom Mount system.

http://www.unitytactical.com/products/atom-mount/

GH41
05-03-13, 15:39
Check out the Unity Tactical Atom Mount system.

http://www.unitytactical.com/products/atom-mount/

Why would want a dot job with irons taking up half of your view?? GH

Heavy Metal
05-03-13, 15:57

And what do you propose to do when the RDS shits the bed?

MrMiller
05-03-13, 21:55

In the event of an optic failure you have a back up.

There is no requirement to have BUIS in any RDS installation, even with the ATOM system.

I install a number of them without BUIS for people not using the gun for self defense.

Airborne Infantryman
05-04-13, 02:17

If you're doing it right, you won't even notice the iron sights. ;)

Besides, its not really an absolute co-witness; its more of a middle-ground between lower 1/3rd and absolute.

My Glock 19-

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8323/8087557492_fce064447f_c.jpg

Steve S.
05-04-13, 14:14

Having used an RMR with and without BUIS, it's faster for me to have a set of non-obtrusive iron sights in conjunction with the RMR. The irons allow an index point, especially when pressing out, making it easier to find the dot.

poak
02-27-14, 00:11
Hate to necro this thread, but if anyone has the technical drawings for milling an RMR or Docter, I'd love to have them.

Mostly curious about the depth.

ghostrider1
04-09-15, 14:17
Just got my slide back from Mark at L&M.3265632657
I'm liking this ALOT!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrMiller
04-09-15, 15:05
Just got my slide back from Mark at L&M.3265632657
I'm liking this ALOT!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the kind words.

Molon
04-09-15, 16:01
More of Mark Housel's fine work (albeit not on a Glock.)

https://app.box.com/shared/static/sg49ej2ozi8syy5oc1zs.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/qkss453gqntvxykvyd3a.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/vy7v2m4jj6ya06v8stlk.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/70cdqf5kq4nsymqy00ho.jpg