PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Scope for Rem 700 SPS Varmit in 308

curlyburns5
05-22-12, 23:06
My father just bout a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 308. He has about $400-600 to spend on the optics set up. He leaves that sort of decision to me b/c he knows I have a resource like M4C to come to. So we're asking for you help. Any suggestions for a scope in the criteria i listed? $400-600 range, some variable optic scope that will be quality and durable/robust, to shoot out to 400 yards and longer. He's very interested in learning how to shoot it. He just asked me to pass along our situation for hopefully some solid suggestions from a place he knows i fully trust. And I want to add a personal thanks to all the great members here that are honest and helpful and never steer a man in the wrong direction.

Alaskapopo
05-23-12, 15:06
Get the Vortex Viper PST. You can get the Second focal plane model close to you price range.
Pat

andy t
05-26-12, 13:36
You don't mention any requirements for the scope - does it need to have certain reticle? Any specific turrets?
Without that, here are some scopes I would recommend:
Vortex is a good choice. Also a used Leupold VX IIc or VXIII.
I also had good luck with Nikon Buckmaster that I used. Also, Nikon's higher end scopes are supposed to be good as well.
I would suggest getting a scope that has a side focus - makes it easy to adjust. A milling reticle would be nice, but may not be necessary if he doesn't care to learn hold overs or range estimation.
My very first precision rifle was a Remington 700 PSS with Leupold Vari-X IIc. I was able to do very well at 600 yards with this combination.

curlyburns5
05-31-12, 22:30
No real requirements beyond quality. Just beginning to learn about shooting at distance beyond 300 yards. This rifle and scope are merely a beginners tool for learning. Want to keep it simple. Looking at a Leopold VX-II 3-9x50 a local shop would cut my a good price on at about ~$300. Again, it's my father's rifle and he wants a simple duplex to start out with. As we become more proficient there will be room to upgrade the optics as skill allows.

Thanks for the good recommendations guys. I really appreciate your help.

AR15barrels
06-02-12, 01:52
I would start with a mildot reticle.
There is much to be learned by calling corrections with a reticle instead of by using the target as a unit of measure...

My suggestion in the $300 price field would be a Nikon 4-14x40 buck master with the standard mildot reticle and side focus.
It's a solid no-frills scope that will serve him well until he is ready to spend a lot more money on a fancier scope with fancier features.