PDA

View Full Version : Best flashlight for Soldier overseas, those with .mil experience as an Engineer.

SW-Shooter
05-22-12, 23:21
My Nephew is an Engineer that just arrived in Germany. I want to get him a good light that he can use in Garrison and the Field, he'll likely deploy as well.

What is the recommended light for a 12N Engineer?

drtywk
05-22-12, 23:51
Not an engineer, but a Surefire 6PX or G2X Tactical would be a great choice, IMHO. Plenty of light, can be mounted on a weapon with the right mount, and can be found fairly easily. I have several and they have served me well.

SW-Shooter
05-23-12, 00:03
I'm thinking AA battery operated, unless cr123's are easy to obtain through the supply chain in Europe. I also have to ensure it will accept lens filters, like Red, Green, Blue, and possibly IR (but not essential).

I'd like to hear about the brightest, most useful Inova EDC type light.

Also what, (if any) light is issued now?

Thanks for the help, please keep it coming. I'd like to get one to him by time he finishes his 30 day orientation.

Iraqgunz
05-23-12, 00:15
Get a good Surefire. I would even look at a mount that will allow him to mount the light to his issued M4.

Wiggity
05-23-12, 00:17
Definitely make sure it has good battery life, otherwise you'll use up cr123's like none other.

SMETNA
05-23-12, 00:28
Get a good Surefire. I would even look at a mount that will allow him to mount the light to his issued M4.

I feel like Surefire lights are overpriced for what you get.

FourSevens makes some great weapon-mountable lights for less than $150. I've carried one of their Quark Tactical models at work for 3+ years, and it's been dropped, submerged, left on until it over-heated. Never a single let down. The appearance is now shit because my keys wore the anodizing on the top portion, but I can't recommend that company more.

Check out their "Maelstrom" series:
http://www.foursevens.com/products/flashlights/Maelstrom

Specifically the Maelstrom MMX

SW-Shooter
05-23-12, 00:47
Is the Streamlight Sidewinder a viable option?http://www.swps.com/streamlight-sidewinder.html

SMETNA
05-23-12, 03:03
Is the Streamlight Sidewinder a viable option?http://www.swps.com/streamlight-sidewinder.html

So I take it you're not necessarily looking for a weapon light?

I have zero time with streamlight products, so others can comment on that better. But, it seems pretty versatile and durable judging by the description.

Iraqgunz
05-23-12, 03:50
To each their own. I have been using Surefire for about 15 years or so, and I have trusted myself to them overseas and in CONUS.

I feel like Surefire lights are overpriced for what you get.

FourSevens makes some great weapon-mountable lights for less than $150. I've carried one of their Quark Tactical models at work for 3+ years, and it's been dropped, submerged, left on until it over-heated. Never a single let down. The appearance is now shit because my keys wore the anodizing on the top portion, but I can't recommend that company more.

Check out their "Maelstrom" series:
http://www.foursevens.com/products/flashlights/Maelstrom

Specifically the Maelstrom MMX

M4Fundi
05-23-12, 04:11
For handheld lights SF lights are the only ones I have had that ALWAYS worked. They are worth the $ in his line of work.

SW-Shooter
05-23-12, 06:08
Not really looking for a weaponlight as I'll cross that bridge if/when he knows about any deployment.

I'd prefer to keep it AA battery powered because I don't know what the availability is for cr123's (and married PV2's need to save coin) where he is stationed. I'm thinking of a light that can be used in FTX/Guard Duty type environments. You know the stuff that goes on in non deployed units.

I know Surefire is the obvious choice, but their AA line-up is not just limited, it's non existent.

He is going to need a light that can easily convert to a light disciplined environment.

Keep it up, don't give up on this. Thanks.

ETA: As a first permanent duty station gift I sent him a pair of Matterhorn 10", 400 gram Thinsulate boots to keep his feet "tier 1". Damn, boots have gotten expensive!

zekus480
05-23-12, 06:12
For a hand held light, a Surefire G2 or 6P in LED are hard to beat. Lately I've been using the heck out of my Princeton Tech helmet mounted light http://store.greygrouptraining.com/SWITCH-MPLS.html Just make sure you get him the helmet mount, as not all big army units allow use of helmet rail systems.

SlapChopDonkey
05-23-12, 06:27
If you're not looking to put it on a weapon, I would go the headlamp option. You can do everything you would do with a flashlight, with the addition of actually being able to use both hands. Deployed or in garrison, I pretty much always have a headlamp around my neck, and a surefire in my pocket. I would say I use the headlamp 90% of the time. I'd go with the Princeton tech remix. 100L, runs on aaa, and various color LEDs available. http://princetontec.com/?q=remix

SW-Shooter
05-23-12, 07:19
Helmet mounted lights are one trick ponies. I think I'm going with the Streamlight, I think pound for pound it's hard to beat. That is unless someone chimes in with a more creative post.

crh428
05-23-12, 09:23
123s shouldn't be an issue from supply. A lot of issued equipment uses them.

Sure fires are the way to go for a handheld light, and for helmet mounted the Princeton MPLS is a lot better than the surefire light.

Headlamp is a necessity, too...

Grumpy MSG
05-23-12, 09:55
For years I carried a G2 Nitrolon Surefire and a SOG EOD multi-tool in a 2 pistol magazine ammo pouch on my belt. They were there everyday. Neither ever let me down. The G2 still works to this day. 123 batteries aren't that hard to get through supply, they sell them at the PX. One thing I have never seen personally with the 123s is a leaky battery unlike the AA and AAA batteries which I have seen ruin stuff in the past, if you don't check them regularly.

Sure you can get fancier and more expensive lights, but I always felt if I broke or lost my $30 flashlight, I would be a whole lot less unhappy than if it was a $150 light. If I had to buy one today, I'd take a hard look at the LED model.

Frailer
05-23-12, 10:09
Helmet mounted lights are one trick ponies. I think I'm going with the Streamlight, I think pound for pound it's hard to beat. That is unless someone chimes in with a more creative post.

Pardon my lack of creativity, but I vote for a Surefire as well. I carried my 6Z on three deployments, and it never let me down. In fact, considering how many folks bought one after borrowing mine Surefire should probably put me on commission.

CR123s are easy to come by; I *rarely* had to buy any out-of-pocket. Unlike AAs, you can be sure the flashlight they're in is going to work when you pull it out, regardless of the temperatures they've been subjected to.

Wiggity
05-23-12, 10:39
As far as streamlight goes. I have a tlr1 and it's an awesome light, zero problems

Failure2Stop
05-23-12, 11:02
I'm going to throw a shout-out for the E2D Defender.
2 brightness settings to save on 123 consumption, usable pocket clip, and also serves as a functional face-shredder should the need arise.

It isn't cheap, but neither are Colts.
A good light can make a huge difference in the outcome of a bad situation, so I am willing to devote as much consideration to them as I do my knives and my cell phone.

If you aren't looking to drop in excess of $150 on a light for your nephew (understandable), I would look at the G2 (or whatever the new flavor is). There are some other decent lights out there in the sub-$100 bracket (such as the Fenix PD31 and PD22), but I have not personally used them.

123s are widely available through issue and smart shopping.

drtywk
05-23-12, 11:53
In addition to my previous post, "buy once, cry once!" I have used all kinds of lights and I continue to use and buy Surefire. The battery issue is nonexistent, as a lot of battery operated items use the CR123 and they are readily available. Just tell your son to make friends with the supply and comm guys and he will be set, plus you could send him some extras when you send the light to him. Surefire also makes the colored tip off covers.

If you are dead set on getting a light that uses AA's, take a look at the Gerber Recon, http://www.gerbergear.com/Military/Lights/Recon-M-Flashlight_22-80017, or something from Energizer, http://www.energizerlightingproducts.com/usage/military/Pages/military.aspx.

nimdabew
05-23-12, 12:25
I'm going to throw a shout-out for the E2D Defender.
2 brightness settings to save on 123 consumption, usable pocket clip, and also serves as a functional face-shredder should the need arise.

It isn't cheap, but neither are Colts.
A good light can make a huge difference in the outcome of a bad situation, so I am willing to devote as much consideration to them as I do my knives and my cell phone.

If you aren't looking to drop in excess of $150 on a light for your nephew (understandable), I would look at the G2 (or whatever the new flavor is). There are some other decent lights out there in the sub-$100 bracket (such as the Fenix PD31 and PD22), but I have not personally used them.

123s are widely available through issue and smart shopping.

I am going to echo this sentiment. I have had an E2D for about four years now and it has taken more hard falls at 30 MPH than I can count (falls out of my pocket when riding a bike usually). It looks like hell, but it still works great. I don't know how SKD sells them for this cheap, but they are in stock right now. ($132)

http://www.skdtac.com/SureFire-E2D-LED-Defender-Flashlight-p/sur.207.htm

TehLlama
05-23-12, 13:23
The best flashlight is four of them. I'm not kidding, each has it's place, and savvy people probably agree with most of these.

1 Carry Everywhere utility light. Surefire. E2D, G2Z, or G2LED depending on budget.
2 Headlamp. Princeton Tec's Quad, EOS, or Remix. Nearly as much utility as the former light, and it's hands-free. AAA or 123A batteries are fine.
3 Keychain light. The small INOVA, in white or red (or both) are amazing. For arm pockets, attached to armor, and even inside seabags/luggage/pelican cases these can be indispensible. For vehicles, the four-legged bendy ones can have some clever uses too.
4 Weapon light. If needed - if so, then Surefire. Scout Light (X600, M300), or the VTAC Executive almost-scout lights preferred.

ra2bach
05-23-12, 13:34
for EDC I would go with the SF G2X PRO as it has two light levels available. I would not use this if it has to double as a weapon light as the low level is the first option. in that case, just go with the G2X Tactical with one level...

Shokr21
05-23-12, 15:07
we were issued surefire helmet lights, sidewinder and energizer hardcase lights, and surefire scout wml.

helmet light- garbage save for the IR beacon, that was an ass saver a couple of times

sidewinder and energizer hardcase- very similar, I like the energizer more, brighter light (appeared to me anyway) more options
http://www.energizer.com/lighting-products/hardcase-tactical/Pages/2aa-swivel-military.aspx
The sidewinder and hardcase rode in my ankle pocket the whole deployment

surefire scout wml- good light, zero complaints.

mallowpufft
05-23-12, 15:47
A G2X isn't too pricey. I would think that CR123s shouldn't be hard to find.
You might also check out Elzetta lights. No personal XP with them but they use Malkoff heads and are pretty configurable. I've read a few good things about them and nothing bad yet.

ETA
I've been carrying a Nextorch Mytorch AA flashlight for the last 3 months and enjoy it. It's nothing hardcore but is a great budget AA light. 70 lumen, 2 HR run time, dust and water resistance. I'm planning on picking a few more up to keep with emergency and camping supplies.

Long and in-depth review : http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?314060-Nextorch-MyTorch-1AA-2AA-3AAA-(XP-E-R3-PC-Programmable)-Review-RUNTIMES

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

SHIVAN
05-23-12, 16:06
Novatac Classic 2x AA - $60 (http://www.batteryjunction.com/novatac-120cl.html)

I have carried a Storm, essentially the smaller 123 version, for two years now, and it works. Have dropped it from my pocket a couple times, as well as from the truck, and it keeps on ticking.

I have two Classics, as backups to a 6PLED and G2LED. I would consider them all interchangeable for my uses.

Plenty bright, and good beam cast.

BrigandTwoFour
05-23-12, 17:21
If you can spare the $$, I love my Elzetta ZFL-M60. That thing has been dropped, kicked, wet, and generally not been treated gently and never missed a beat.

I also really like the Surefire/VTAC offerings. I use an mini L4 on one of my ARs, very nice compact light.

If it's never going to be used on a weapon, I don't see anything wrong with the SF G2/6P offerings.

Kchen986
05-23-12, 18:46
Used a G2X Pro for land nav up in the mountains with a red filter. Led light. Good battery life. 200/15 lumens, iirc. Good kit highly recommended.

SW-Shooter
05-23-12, 21:22
I went with the Sidewinder w/IR for his vest, and the G2X Pro w/red and IR caps filters. Total cost was under $250.00. Now for the paperwork to get them delivered to him legally.

Thanks for the input.

Shokr21
05-23-12, 21:32
good choices. I know if my uncles hooked me up like you are for your nephew I'd be happier than a pig eating...well ya know.

Good on you for hooking up a young soldier and starting him down the path of good gear.

TheJRK
05-23-12, 22:01
Someone's dad sent our entire crew (15 dudes) a bunch of these in a care package during my last stint in AFG.

Very useful when taking a piss or a dump in the middle of the night.

Failure2Stop
05-23-12, 22:05
G2X Pro w/red and IR caps filters.

IR filter is useless. If he has NODs, he already has an IR illuminator. The only real use is when on a WML.

A blue filter is more useful (avoids detection better than any other color).

SW-Shooter
05-23-12, 22:10
IR filter is useless. If he has NODs, he already has an IR illuminator. The only real use is when on a WML.

A blue filter is more useful (avoids detection better than any other color).

$20.00 on Ebay and it was the Surefire one. Too hard to pass up.

Failure2Stop
05-23-12, 22:51
$20.00 on Ebay and it was the Surefire one. Too hard to pass up.

If it was me, I'd rather you just sent me the $20 :D
Regardless, it's a generous thing for you to do and I am sure he will appreciate it.

Frailer
05-23-12, 23:35
...A blue filter is more useful (avoids detection better than any other color).

The light sensitivity of rods is shifted toward shorter wavelengths, and peaks in the blue range. Much depends on the transparency of the filter, but transmission levels being equal it's much easier to detect blue lights at night.

Failure2Stop
05-23-12, 23:42
The light sensitivity of rods is shifted toward shorter wavelengths, and peaks in the blue range. Much depends on the transparency of the filter, but transmission levels being equal it's much easier to detect blue lights at night.

If you are looking at the light source, they are all pretty easy to spot at a distance, but if it's just what is illuminated, the blue is hardest to positively identify as being man-made, or as coming from an artificial source.

Kchen986
05-24-12, 00:54
If you are looking at the light source, they are all pretty easy to spot at a distance, but if it's just what is illuminated, the blue is hardest to positively identify as being man-made, or as coming from an artificial source.

I defer to your obvious experience and expertise, but I do believe red light is much better at preserving night-adapted vision, as opposed to other wavelengths?

From Wikipedia

In biological night vision, molecules of rhodopsin in the rods of the eye undergo a change in shape as they absorb light. Rhodopsin is the chemical that allows night-vision, and is extremely sensitive to light. Exposed to a spectrum of light, the pigment immediately bleaches, and it takes about 30 minutes to regenerate fully, but most of the adaptation occurs within the first five or ten minutes in the dark. Rhodopsin in the human rods is less sensitive to the longer red wavelengths of light, so traditionally many people use red light to help preserve night vision as it only slowly depletes the eye's rhodopsin stores in the rods and instead is viewed by the cones. However the US submarine force ceased using red lighting for night adaptation after studies found little significant advantage of using low level red over low level white lighting.[3]

WARRIOR84
05-24-12, 00:59
Just stumbled across the primary arms pawl light anyone tried one yet? They have great reviews and look tough.

Failure2Stop
05-24-12, 01:52
I defer to your obvious experience and expertise, but I do believe red light is much better at preserving night-adapted vision, as opposed to other wavelengths?

From Wikipedia

Trying to avoid a derail here, so if anyone wants to delve into this further we can start a new thread.

We have used red light to preserve night vision for a long time, however, that may not really be as effective as we used to believe. Take a look at these sites:

http://stlplaces.com/night_vision_red_myth/

http://www.alicesastroinfo.com/2010/08/red-light-night-vision/

http://www.aoa.org/x5352.xml

Now, aside from trying to preserve night vision (which really is not an issue if you keep your illumination only as high as you need to see), one also has a necessity to avoid detection. A blue light will work well for the user, allowing him to identify good detail, and reduces detection (when properly employed), since blue is a predominant color in dark adapted vision in natural ambient illumination. Just like putting on clothes that match the environment, matching your light to natural illumination reduces your signature (as much as one can while using a light in the dark). It doesn't make much difference at higher levels of illumination, but when only using as much light as is absolutely necessary, blue light gives the user an edge.

knoxtnshooter
05-24-12, 12:04
You did the right thing buying multiple lights. I don't think I could get by on this deployment with only one (or three) lights. There's just too many uses for them.

Now all he needs is a good headlamp, a good weaponlight, and a good keychain light. Possibly a helmet light too.

In my unit, we have 123s coming out of our ears. I have at least a two years supply sitting in my footlocker right now.

I'll also add that experiencially (as opposed to scientifically) blue light is harder for me to see at night than red, while a blue light SOURCE is easier to see than a red light SOURCE.

SW-Shooter
05-24-12, 17:10
You did the right thing buying multiple lights. I don't think I could get by on this deployment with only one (or three) lights. There's just too many uses for them.

Now all he needs is a good headlamp, a good weaponlight, and a good keychain light. Possibly a helmet light too.

In my unit, we have 123s coming out of our ears. I have at least a two years supply sitting in my footlocker right now.

I'll also add that experiencially (as opposed to scientifically) blue light is harder for me to see at night than red, while a blue light SOURCE is easier to see than a red light SOURCE.

The Sidewinder I bought him has a kick ass helmet mount for .mil helmets. I am throwing in two Inova keyring lights as well, one for him and one for when his wife finally gets over there. I'm done for now.

Frailer
05-24-12, 18:45
...I'll also add that experiencially (as opposed to scientifically) blue light is harder for me to see at night than red, while a blue light SOURCE is easier to see than a red light SOURCE.

I suspect what you're experiencing is the fact that blue light is difficult to *pinpoint*, as the fovea is virtually devoid of sensors sensitive to blue light.

TehLlama
05-24-12, 23:01
The Sidewinder I bought him has a kick ass helmet mount for .mil helmets. I am throwing in two Inova keyring lights as well, one for him and one for when his wife finally gets over there. I'm done for now.

The keychain ones will be invaluable.

I wasn't a fan of the Sidewinder helmet mount, but then again I was able to successfully break even my SureFire helmet light's mount. Just used the PTec helmet light instead, and kept the SF helmet light as an iFF beacon as needed.

GTifosi
05-26-12, 15:03
^ Old combat engineer from the days before CR123, streamlite, surefire, gizmonic doodad variant 275 alpha and every swinging dick getting NODS:

Engineers use thier hands a lot.
Bouncing wire? Rifle over back using hands.
Dealing with mines or explosives? Rifle over back using hands.
Breaching? Rifle over back using hands.
Knocking up a bridge? Rifle over there on a heap with a bunch of others and using hands.

About the only time a weapon light would be useful to a 12b is when walking from A to B or if they get roped into working with 11b's as support for patrol, house to house or whatever.

That being said, a shoulder mount or helmet mount would likely be the most generically useful. The logic being you might not always use a helmet, but you will likely always have something on your body to hang a light on, even if its just a penhole in a pocket.

A handheld that can clip to kit is nice too. (like the old 90 degree jobs you could hold or hang off LBE)

Weapon light? Not so much. Less so if the only trick it does is weapon light. You can use an 'on-person' type light while doing a great pile of things you'd normally do, including things that employ a rifle, but an exclusively weapon light is junk if you have to have the rifle in both hands to employ it.
Real tough to bounce wire with two hands while holding a rifle with two hands so that you can focus a dim light on the work going on.

Just .02 from a 'been there done that' guy from an era gone by.
Engineers are 'build and destroy' type folk, not ground pounders or house searchers.

SW-Shooter
05-26-12, 20:17
^ Old combat engineer from the days before CR123, streamlite, surefire, gizmonic doodad variant 275 alpha and every swinging dick getting NODS:

Engineers use thier hands a lot.
Bouncing wire? Rifle over back using hands.
Dealing with mines or explosives? Rifle over back using hands.
Breaching? Rifle over back using hands.
Knocking up a bridge? Rifle over there on a heap with a bunch of others and using hands.

About the only time a weapon light would be useful to a 12b is when walking from A to B or if they get roped into working with 11b's as support for patrol, house to house or whatever.

That being said, a shoulder mount or helmet mount would likely be the most generically useful. The logic being you might not always use a helmet, but you will likely always have something on your body to hang a light on, even if its just a penhole in a pocket.

A handheld that can clip to kit is nice too. (like the old 90 degree jobs you could hold or hang off LBE)

Weapon light? Not so much. Less so if the only trick it does is weapon light. You can use an 'on-person' type light while doing a great pile of things you'd normally do, including things that employ a rifle, but an exclusively weapon light is junk if you have to have the rifle in both hands to employ it.
Real tough to bounce wire with two hands while holding a rifle with two hands so that you can focus a dim light on the work going on.

Just .02 from a 'been there done that' guy from an era gone by.
Engineers are 'build and destroy' type folk, not ground pounders or house searchers.

Your logic and experience, and my experience is what led me to buy the Streamlight Sidewinder. It's a take on the old OD green 90 degree angle head flashlight, but it can be mounted on a helmet, has a belt clip, pocket clip, hell it's just a jack of all trades. Here's a link
http://www.swps.com/streamlight-sidewinder.html?gclid=CNOQveSln7ACFUHDtgodPxiXZg

GTifosi
05-26-12, 20:35
That would bring it.

Nice utility w/o having to frig around with multicolored lense covers too. Just flip a switch and go.
The compact size can't hurt either.

Armati
05-26-12, 21:25
I have used damn near everything from Surefire. These days I have grown partial to the Energizer single AA helmet light.

http://www.energizerlightingproducts.com/usage/military/Pages/military.aspx

I am also fond of the Streamlight Sidewinder.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=168

I generally prefer electronics that use AA batteries. You can find the AA just about anywhere.

I also keep a Goal Zero Nomad 7 and two Guide 10 chargers in my kit to ensure I always have AA's.

http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/11/Nomad%207%20Solar%20Panel/

There are plenty of CR123's in the Army system but their availability my vary from unit to unit. Some units will hand them out like they are free while others will act like you are trying to steal something by asking for batteries.

M4Fundi
05-26-12, 22:48
I do wish Surefire would make some AA lights!

The only bullet proof headlamp I have found is the Petzl Duo. I used to wear one on my head everynight for years and they are bomber in all weather and have 2 light sources.

SMETNA
05-27-12, 01:04
I do wish Surefire would make some AA lights!.

The consensus around here, for some reason, seems to be that AA's are for toys. All serious lights and optics use CR123. That's a topic for a different thread though, as is the red vs. blue filters topic.

M4Fundi
05-27-12, 03:28
Yeah, I know, but I've lived in countries where finding CR123 is impossible, so I try and have both AA and CR123 lights.

krm375
05-27-12, 07:18
I have a few sure fires, I like the saint minimus for a headlamp, the x300 for weapons, and the two lights below that are LED and have different pieces so that they will accept either a single AA battery or a Single 123A battery. I usually carry both lights, one with an AA in my pocket all of the time and the other with the adaptors in my pack/gobag.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-2010-holidayset-transformers.html

http://www.batteryjunction.com/sunwayman-v10r-ti-plus.html

http://www.batteryjunction.com/sunwayman-v11r-aa-extender.html

Medic218
05-28-12, 02:55
I love my Fenix PD30.
Takes 2 CR123's and fits snugly in most MOLLE application without the need for an actual case.

iaredavid
05-31-12, 01:18
Probably beating a dead horse here...

I had a Sidewinder light issued. It was great for handheld work, but the clip was too weak to stay attached to my uniform or MOLLE webbing. Nice that it had blue & IR in addition to red as alternatives. It's a good all-a-rounder, but definitely begs to be dummy corded.

Some other good ones are the Sidewinder compacts and the Surefire Helmet Light. Especially the Surefire helmet light (HL1-C-TN) if he doesn't need to work with aviation assets. (Red for being sneaky to the unaided eye, whereas blue doesn't show up as brightly to NODs.) I bring up Surefire because they have been very good to me, in terms of durability and warranty support. A Surefire E1B as a secondary would be great. Maybe a 6P LED if you can still find one. The newer ones are painfully bright.

CR123A's *should* be plentiful though the supply chain if he's doing real world work and has a good amount of logistic support. But that's a big 'IF'. CR123A flashlights are definitely preferred because of the extended runtime and form factor.

SW-Shooter
05-31-12, 12:47
Probably beating a dead horse here...

I had a Sidewinder light issued. It was great for handheld work, but the clip was too weak to stay attached to my uniform or MOLLE webbing. Nice that it had blue & IR in addition to red as alternatives. It's a good all-a-rounder, but definitely begs to be dummy corded.

Some other good ones are the Sidewinder compacts and the Surefire Helmet Light. Especially the Surefire helmet light (HL1-C-TN) if he doesn't need to work with aviation assets. (Red for being sneaky to the unaided eye, whereas blue doesn't show up as brightly to NODs.) I bring up Surefire because they have been very good to me, in terms of durability and warranty support. A Surefire E1B as a secondary would be great. Maybe a 6P LED if you can still find one. The newer ones are painfully bright.

CR123A's *should* be plentiful though the supply chain if he's doing real world work and has a good amount of logistic support. But that's a big 'IF'. CR123A flashlights are definitely preferred because of the extended runtime and form factor.

Thank you for the info on the "dummy cord", I'll be sure to include some 550 cord with the package. I did go with the Surefire as well, although I went for the obvious G2X series to keep the price reasonably low. I sure do hope he doesn't have any problems with obtaining the cr123's.

circuit
06-02-12, 19:11
make sure to go with the g2x pro just so he will save battery life by using the low level light. Sorry didn't read last post. Excellent choice g2 is my most used light.

MarMark
12-05-19, 21:45
Not an engineer, but a Surefire 6PX or G2X mil tac light (https://www.gearhunder.com/best-tactical-flashlight/) would be a great choice, IMHO. Plenty of light, can be mounted on a weapon with the right mount, and can be found fairly easily. I have several and they have served me well.

Surefire doesn't do much, and Streamlight's HL series is also recommended. It is my favorite, and once you see it with your own eyes, you will definitely be impressed by it because of its delicate and sturdy construction. No light can last forever, but some light will last longer than others, such as Streamlight.

Wake27
12-05-19, 21:47
Surefire doesn't do much, and Streamlight's HL series is also recommended. It is my favorite, and once you see it with your own eyes, you will definitely be impressed by it because of its delicate and sturdy construction. No light can last forever, but some light will last longer than others, such as Streamlight.

SureFire’s are typically more durable than streamlights and this thread is seven and a half years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
12-05-19, 22:06
I'm betting the OP's nephew is already out of the Army by now. No need to resurrect such a thread.