PDA

View Full Version : G19 as a Backup for G23?

Jaysop
05-23-12, 02:28
So I recently bought a Gen3 G19 that flings brass in my face(its back at glock) with the intent to make it my primary handgun. I'm a novice pistol shooter at best so if im totally missing something let me know.

I'm looking for insight from some people who are much more experienced than I.

If I'm understanding Glocks current situation correctly... they pretty much sacrificed their 9mm line for the sake of the 40 line. So I could confidently buy any generation?

I'm thinking about buying a Glock 23 and using that as a primary. I'm moving to a free state and would like to start carrying. Obviously after more training and a lot of practice. But im getting the ball rolling on things.

What I feel like the 23 will do for me the 19 cant...
1)Wont fling brass in my face
2)More power without a significant capacity sacrifice
3)Instill absolute confidence in the weapon I plan to protect myself and family with.

The benefit in the 19 is the price of ammo. Not significantly cheaper than the 23 but enough that I can shoot more. The other benefit is that I already have it.

What im thinking is that I can practice with both calibers but favor the 9mm so I can shoot more. Kind of like a 22 conversion for 5.56 but more in line in terms of recoil and manipulation.

I consider myself a moderately high round count shooter, maybe not compared to some but I at least shoot 5/7k threw my guns a year generally. Things may change since I have a son now.

So am I missing anything? Does anyone else do this? Are there better options out there for me?

Thanks in advance.

Hogsgunwild
05-23-12, 07:59
It doesn't sound like a bad plan. In recent years, when ammo was scarce on the shelves locally, there was often .40 S&W to be had when I could not find any .45 or 9MM.

One thing that was a factor for me over the years was the relatively light weight of the G23 and snappiness of the .40 S&W caliber in that platform. I've owned two G23s and there were times when I had developed bad habits from flinching and anticipating the shot. It may never be a factor for you, especially if your fundamental handgun skills are solid, but I was a long time shooter that didn't understand why I was having these problems with some .40 cal handguns. I have shot a lot of magnums and 10MMs over the years but it wasn't until I had some formal training under my belt that I was able to self-diagnose and fix what the .40s had me doing, at times.

I will point out that I never really minded the recoil of the G23 but the bad habits crept into my routine and seemed to sabotage my accuracy, none-the-less.

If I could do it over I would have stuck with strictly the G19s instead of the G23s.

jnc36rcpd
05-23-12, 08:11
Have you contacted Glock to see if they might repair the G-19?

Ironman8
05-23-12, 08:13
Have you contacted Glock to see if they might repair the G-19?

By all accounts, that is like pissing in the wind...I don't even bother contacting Glock.

Denny
05-23-12, 08:14
I am new here so I hope not to offend anyone. I spent 22 years in the military and 13 in law enforcement till my back quit. There is no magic gun or bullet. From my limited experience it is shot placement (practice), training (tactical and liability). I responded once to a call of a shooting and found a man shot 3 times in the chest with a 357. He was sitting in a chair talking to people. On the other hand I saw a suicide with one 22 round in the mouth.

My advice is 19 23 or whatever practice shot placement and speed will come. Get propoer training and know the law.

Good luck with your search. PS my daily carry is a Glock 19 with night sights. Perfect size and I have a 33 round mag in the glove box.

djegators
05-23-12, 08:27
Not a bad plan overall, to have both a 23 and a 19...you will have the familiarity of the grip, controls, etc, since they are identical on the outside. You can also use the same holsters. It really just comes down to your comfort level with .40. I had carried a 23 for several years, and have now switched back to 9mm (19 and 26). I do not dislike the .40, but I prefer 9mm at this point. You will notice a sharp difference between range ammo in .40, and the self defense stuff, so be aware of that. Also, if you shoot a LOT, the difference in price can add up quick.

jasonhgross
05-23-12, 08:28
Your feelings that the .40 has any capability that the 9mm doesnt have are based on the beliefs that other people have which have no basis in any kind of fact-based reality. Stick with the glock 19, buy a second as backup.

Ironman8
05-23-12, 08:41
Your feelings that the .40 has any capability that the 9mm doesnt have are based on the beliefs that other people have which have no basis in any kind of fact-based reality. Stick with the glock 19, buy a second as backup.

This is absolutely true...however, he isn't (primarily) considering the G23 for terminal ballistic performance. He was looking at it due to the ejection issues that Glock currently has with the 9mm platform.

My advice would be to just stick with the G19 as a second/backup gun as well even though you may get hit every now and then with some brass. To be honest, IMO, as long as the gun isn't choking on the brass (FTE) then there's no reason you shouldn't carry the gun. Besides that, there are fixes coming down the pipeline that will (hopefully) make all this ejection nonsense a non-issue.

Beat Trash
05-23-12, 08:51
I'd much rather have a second Glock 19. Everything would be the same between the two guns as far as equipment, ammunition, and training.

Look into getting the current gun fixed. Contact Glock. See what fixes are coming down the pike.

For your second gun, I'd look for a used, older Gen3 gun.

Preliator
05-23-12, 08:56
I dont see much of an advantage to be had with .40 over 9mm for normal day to day use, unless you are in law enforcement or see a distinct need for intermediate barrier penetration. Stick with the G19 for an ever so slight increase in controllability (I honestly can't even feel the difference....) but more for the increased ammunition capacity and decreased training expense.

Either way enjoy shooting!

KCabbage
05-23-12, 09:00
I suggest sticking with the 9mm. Less recoil, faster follow up shots, bigger capacity, and less expensive to shoot. The 9mm has performed very well for several LE agencies using it. Taking down your aggressor/s is about putting shots where it counts. With that said, what will the .40 do that the 9mm won't?

Don't think you are in the free and clear of brass to the face with the .40. I just sold a Gen 4 23 that ejected cases on me.

Nemecsek
05-23-12, 11:51
If the primary concern is to avoid erratic ejection, i.e. brass to the face, then going .40 will likely leave you satisfied. My 22, 23 and especially my model 20 (10mm) has very consistent 4 0'clock ejection. All my 9mm Glocks have been less consistent, occasionally ejecting on my head, including my Gen II 17 bought in '97. This problem went off the chain in the last few years though. But ammo will be 30-40% more expensive!

My newest G26, test fire date 02-2012, had very erratic ejection, landing brass on my head and sometimes I had brass just sitting on my right shoulder. Kinda convenient for collecting brass but very irritating while shooting. Never jammed though. I replaced the "dip" extractor with an older spare and the problem went away.

Since I'm a trained armorer with my dept, Glock sent me a brand new extractor, which arrived today. No dip!!!! Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel. I'll have to try it first before I uncork the champagne. I am satisfied with Glock warranty/service, FedEx'ing the extractor immediately like that. They have the best customer service, at least for me.

Jaysop
05-23-12, 12:24
I appreciate all the feedback!

And yes Ironman8 your spot on with my train of thought. I'm not really considering the 23 for the benefit of the caliber but for the reliability.

I gota admit, even though the 19 is back at Glock right now I don't have much confidence that it will ever run perfectly.

It ejects extremely well except in all different directions. The reason I don't want that as my primary is because I know after a certain point of getting hit in the face im going to hesitate or if I did have to use it and it hit me in the eye... with how strong it ejects id probably loose that eye or something! It cuts my face and chips glasses.
Imagine if every time you started your car there was a 1:20 chance a fist came out of the steering wheel and punched you in the mouth?

As for buying a second 19, I wont be doing that for a long time. Unless I can find a nice old one. And I don't really know how to go about that.

Nemecsek
I noted on the return form to Glock that I wanted the newest ejector and extractor. If the new extractor are different maybe that could be a solution!

Ironman8
05-23-12, 12:56
I appreciate all the feedback!

And yes Ironman8 your spot on with my train of thought. I'm not really considering the 23 for the benefit of the caliber but for the reliability.

I gota admit, even though the 19 is back at Glock right now I don't have much confidence that it will ever run perfectly.

It ejects extremely well except in all different directions. The reason I don't want that as my primary is because I know after a certain point of getting hit in the face im going to hesitate or if I did have to use it and it hit me in the eye... with how strong it ejects id probably loose that eye or something! It cuts my face and chips glasses.
Imagine if every time you started your car there was a 1:20 chance a fist came out of the steering wheel and punched you in the mouth?

As for buying a second 19, I wont be doing that for a long time. Unless I can find a nice old one. And I don't really know how to go about that.

Nemecsek
I noted on the return form to Glock that I wanted the newest ejector and extractor. If the new extractor are different maybe that could be a solution!

Jsop,

Keep us updated as to which extractor they return to you and how it performed. Nemecsek's report of a different, non-dip extractor is now the second report I've heard recently from guys getting their guns back from Glock.

Maybe they've finally figured out that all the Fedex labels were costing WAY more than the savings they got out of the POS extractor they switched to. :sarcastic:

ra2bach
05-23-12, 13:05
personally I want all my carry guns in the same caliber and preferably able to use the same mags.

if you don't trust the G19, get it fixed to your satisfaction and then sell the G23 and get a 26. or sell it and get a G27

Jaysop
05-23-12, 18:02
I called Glock earlier to check on the status of my G19.
It left the warranty dept today supposedly running properly.
I was told they only swapped the ejector, he couldn't tell me if it was just another 336 or not. When I asked about a new extractor he sounded genuinely clueless about it and claimed they haven't changed them in years.
Once I get it I'll confirm.

RagweedZulu
05-23-12, 19:04
I'm a big fan of the G23. Probably would be THE gun I'd take if I could only keep one.

You already have one, so you know. The size, capacity and potency of the round are tough to beat. A lot of guys here are big 19 fans but for ME, I'd rather protect MY family with a .40 or .45 round. That's just me. I also get an ass load of Winchester Ranger from work, so practice costs aren't a factor.

Stick to your 23. Get a 19 for range maybe, but don't buy into the "snappy.40" myth.

Plan
05-23-12, 22:51
I like this concept... I recently got an M&P9 to complement my issued M&P40 duty gun. The 9mm will be shot the majority of the time on my own time/dime, while the 40 will be used with department ammo for training/qualifications.

Jaysop
05-23-12, 22:59
I actually already have a 19 and am considering buying the 23 for the sake of having confidence in their operation.

I don't know if I can ever really be fully confident in the 19.

Seems a lot of people have had "fixes" go bad in a few hundred rounds or so.

MegademiC
05-23-12, 23:57
I actually already have a 19 and am considering buying the 23 for the sake of having confidence in their operation.

I don't know if I can ever really be fully confident in the 19.

Seems a lot of people have had "fixes" go bad in a few hundred rounds or so.

I dont know what happended, last I knew was that the only problem with the gen 3s were a new extractor and a lone wolf would fix it... but I havnt been keeping up so...

My view is your plan isnt bad. 1st thing, get both guns 100%, research the threads here and find out what needs to be done.

the 9mm is just as good as .40 except for a SLIGHT edge with barrier penetration, and that is even round dependent(a good 9mm beats a shitty .40/45 and probably costs the same).

One good thing is that you have 2 chamberings, so if 9mm gets scarce, .40 is usually available, and duty loads can be had for $.40/rd if you get it at the right time.

That said, you could just reload, get 2 g19, and buy a ton of 9mm duty loads when you find a good deal.

You will never be in a situation where you will die because you have 9mm instead of 40.

DocGKR
05-24-12, 00:56
Use the current G19 as a training pistol, if reliability is not ideal. Get a second, used older G19 and use it as a carry pistol. Why add a second caliber? It does not make sense...

Alaskapopo
05-24-12, 01:56
I'm a big fan of the G23. Probably would be THE gun I'd take if I could only keep one.

You already have one, so you know. The size, capacity and potency of the round are tough to beat. A lot of guys here are big 19 fans but for ME, I'd rather protect MY family with a .40 or .45 round. That's just me. I also get an ass load of Winchester Ranger from work, so practice costs aren't a factor.

Stick to your 23. Get a 19 for range maybe, but don't buy into the "snappy.40" myth.

Hate to tell you sport but the snappy .40 is not a myth. You can't have your cake and eat it too. The reason you probably prefer the .40 is because of the extra muzzle energy and momentium it provides however that extra power translates into more recoil. I don't like shooting the 23 at all. Its not a beast but its definately slower than a 19. There is no free lunch. There is nothing wrong with the .40 if thats the choice you want to make but it comes with its advantages like a slight edge in barrier penetration and its disadvantages like increased snappy recoil, less magazine capacity and shorter weapon life.
Pat

Alaskapopo
05-24-12, 01:57
Use the current G19 as a training pistol, if reliability is not ideal. Get a second, used older G19 and use it as a carry pistol. Why add a second caliber? It does not make sense...

I agree.
Pat

Jaysop
05-24-12, 02:02

Can you give me an idea of how to track these down? I can never seem to see used Glocks.
Id be looking for a "K,L,M,N" serial prefixed models correct?

Alaskapopo
05-24-12, 02:09
Can you give me an idea of how to track these down? I can never seem to see used Glocks.
Id be looking for a "K,L,M,N" serial prefixed models correct?

Be in the right place at the right time. I just got one for $300.
Pat

G4PI09
05-24-12, 06:11
jsop-i recently was in the same boat, i had reliability and ejection issues with my gen3 17, i ended up selling it and replacing it with a gen4 22. The ejection through 500 rounds has been good and no reliability issues. Personally the .40 does nothing for me that the 9mm wont and it is more expensive to shoot but the peace of mind that my glock works is worth it to me. Once Glock gets the 9mm issues fixed i will end up getting a gen4 17 tho.

jasonhgross
05-24-12, 08:08

There is no evidence saying that .40 or .45 is better than 9mm. Given a certain amount of energy, they are all still handgun calibers, not rifles. If you like the .40 or .45 better, fine then comfort is an important thing. But for many of us, the 9mm has: Cheaper cost (more training), lower recoil (more effective training), more capacity, and is more reliable (less time spent training fiddle f@cking with your pistol). Now the rest of us dont all get "an ass load" of free ammo from work, so there might be something there. But like you said, you feel more comfortable with your .40.

djegators
05-24-12, 10:32
Hate to tell you sport but the snappy .40 is not a myth. You can't have your cake and eat it too. The reason you probably prefer the .40 is because of the extra muzzle energy and momentium it provides however that extra power translates into more recoil. I don't like shooting the 23 at all. Its not a beast but its definately slower than a 19. There is no free lunch. There is nothing wrong with the .40 if thats the choice you want to make but it comes with its advantages like a slight edge in barrier penetration and its disadvantages like increased snappy recoil, less magazine capacity and shorter weapon life.
Pat

I would agree with that. I find I shoot the 23 fairly well, but if you really want to see the difference, switch from range ammo to quality self defense ammo...BIG differenc IMO. In fact, I'd probably rather shoot my G20 at that point.

Maverick07
05-24-12, 16:26
I personally would not have two identical sized platforms from the same maker but of different calibers because they have different impulses under recoil and due to the potential to mix up magazines and ammo between the two. The first reason is more critcal than the second reason.

Under stress you revert to training and if you are switching between the two you may not have the time on trigger to master each caliber accordingly. For example, if you carry the .40 but shoot the 9mm for practice you are going be mechanically used to that recoil impulse of the lighter kicking caliber. This could very well affect your ability to deliver rounds accurately and quickly, get back on target, track your target and respond to your target.

The second reason is sort of the SHTF scenario. You are in a rush, you grab the wrong reload mag when you head out and then in a critical incident you end up in a bit of a pinch when you discover you have the wrong reload ammo.

I would rather have two of the same platforms that I carry every day in case one pistol has a mechanical issue that renders it unusable (and I do).

nimdabew
05-24-12, 18:13
Jsop,

Keep us updated as to which extractor they return to you and how it performed. Nemecsek's report of a different, non-dip extractor is now the second report I've heard recently from guys getting their guns back from Glock.

Maybe they've finally figured out that all the Fedex labels were costing WAY more than the savings they got out of the POS extractor they switched to. :sarcastic:

I recently sent my G19 into Glock with the dip extractor. It came back with the following extractor and now the brass lands at 3 o'clock to 5 o'clock.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr173/nimdabew/2012-04-08_13-06-23_978.jpg

Ironman8
05-24-12, 19:51
I recently sent my G19 into Glock with the dip extractor. It came back with the following extractor and now the brass lands at 3 o'clock to 5 o'clock.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr173/nimdabew/2012-04-08_13-06-23_978.jpg

Hmmm very interesting...

Is this a Gen 4 or 3?

Ironman8
05-24-12, 19:53
If the primary concern is to avoid erratic ejection, i.e. brass to the face, then going .40 will likely leave you satisfied. My 22, 23 and especially my model 20 (10mm) has very consistent 4 0'clock ejection. All my 9mm Glocks have been less consistent, occasionally ejecting on my head, including my Gen II 17 bought in '97. This problem went off the chain in the last few years though. But ammo will be 30-40% more expensive!

My newest G26, test fire date 02-2012, had very erratic ejection, landing brass on my head and sometimes I had brass just sitting on my right shoulder. Kinda convenient for collecting brass but very irritating while shooting. Never jammed though. I replaced the "dip" extractor with an older spare and the problem went away.

Since I'm a trained armorer with my dept, Glock sent me a brand new extractor, which arrived today. No dip!!!! Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel. I'll have to try it first before I uncork the champagne. I am satisfied with Glock warranty/service, FedEx'ing the extractor immediately like that. They have the best customer service, at least for me.

Nemecsek,

Is your G26 a Gen 4 or 3?

hunt_ak
05-31-12, 20:01
Can someone elaborate on dip/non dip extractors?

calabama
05-31-12, 20:51
Can someone elaborate on dip/non dip extractors?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=79228

There's a comparison picture. I have read many rumors about what, if any, impact this particular design change had on the sudden increase in type 2 malfunctions and erratic ejection patterns. Some are claiming it must be a limp-wristing epidemic nationwide. I've read and heard reports from well respected shooters who are suddenly experiencing these issues too so I doubt the limp-wristing claim. I think it's a symphony of changes by Glock that yielded an inferior result. Some have had luck changing this part or that part, but no one has found THE solution for every gun aside from finding a used pre-update G19 from 2010 or earlier.

I have a one month old Gen 3 G17 with the "dreaded" 336 ejector and dip extractor that I haven't had a chance to shoot. It sounds like mine should have the makings of an erratic ejector. However, Nemecsek's post about Glock sending him a non-dip extractor has me hopeful that they are at least addressing the problem if I do need to have it serviced.

Note: I'm no gunsmith, but I am an engineer. I appreciate the fact that there may be multiple failure modes causing type 2 malfunctions and brass to the forehead ejection patterns. I'm also willing to accept that Glock made multiple engineering and cost saving "improvements" starting sometime last year. The thing that bothers me is anybody who has every made cakes, guns, or bombs can tell you that you don't fix what isn't broken. If you do, be willing to acknowledge your mistake and turn back the clock to the winning recipe. The G19, in my novice opinion, seems to be one of the most tested and revered handguns on the planet. Glock knew how to make them for years and now they've forgotten how? I don't think so. As for why I still bought a G17 knowing all of these things; the new flat dark earth (turkey turd tan) appeals to me. Answering my question, "how do you make the ugliest gun on the planet even uglier?". I have faith that time will provide a solution to this problem. Until then, there's no way this new gun will see any defensive carry time.

Jupiter
05-31-12, 21:14
Since I don't usually wear shooting glasses when I carry, having hot brass come back into my face/eye is reason enough not to carry it if I don't have to.
Since the 9mm Glocks seem to be hit or miss right now, a G23 might not be a bad idea. I carried one for years and loved it.

hunt_ak
06-01-12, 12:42
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=79228

There's a comparison picture. I have read many rumors about what, if any, impact this particular design change had on the sudden increase in type 2 malfunctions and erratic ejection patterns. Some are claiming it must be a limp-wristing epidemic nationwide. I've read and heard reports from well respected shooters who are suddenly experiencing these issues too so I doubt the limp-wristing claim. I think it's a symphony of changes by Glock that yielded an inferior result. Some have had luck changing this part or that part, but no one has found THE solution for every gun aside from finding a used pre-update G19 from 2010 or earlier.

I have a one month old Gen 3 G17 with the "dreaded" 336 ejector and dip extractor that I haven't had a chance to shoot. It sounds like mine should have the makings of an erratic ejector. However, Nemecsek's post about Glock sending him a non-dip extractor has me hopeful that they are at least addressing the problem if I do need to have it serviced...

Thank you, BTW...

Ironman8
06-01-12, 14:47
Since I don't usually wear shooting glasses when I carry, having hot brass come back into my face/eye is reason enough not to carry it if I don't have to.
Since the 9mm Glocks seem to be hit or miss right now, a G23 might not be a bad idea. I carried one for years and loved it.

I may be wrong, but I believe that you would blink your eye faster than any piece of brass can possibly make it into your eye without even thinking about it. Also, the brass would be making contact with your skin, eye, ect. for such a short period of time that I highly doubt you would get burned. Actually most of the burns I've heard about have come from the case getting stuck between the eye pro and your skin...

I've said it before, but if you're using your gun to defend yourself, you'll have alot more to worry about than a piece of brass to the forehead. Also, you would most likely be moving while shooting, or shooting from a non-standard position, so the chances of getting hit from a 6:00 ejection *might* be mitigated.

I can tell you that just a couple weekends ago, I went shooting on some land where I was able to do some more "dynamic" shooting and honestly don't remember one case hitting me. I may have gotten hit, but I don't remember either due to focusing more on the moving and shooting, or possibly just the adrenaline. I do remember getting hit in the shoulder when shooting static, slow fire out at 25+ yds though...

Now, if this ejection problem (and it is a problem) causes you to develop bad habits while practicing (such as flinching), then that is a whole different story and I would agree that the ejection matters much more so in that case.

tpd223
06-02-12, 07:54
I think it would be a mistake to automatically assume that one of the Glock .40s is going to be more reliable than their 9mms.

The issue of getting .40 vs 9mm ammo/mags in the wrong gun is a very real consideration.

If I was going to go that route (especially if I got metric shitloads of free ammo at work) I'd just get two G23s, and then most likely a 9mm conversion barrel and a few mags.

Weirdly enough, my G23 often smacks me in the head with .40 brass, with the 9mm barrel installed they land in a neat pile to my 4 o'clock

SKULL1
06-02-12, 08:47
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6216/6338037097_4fb5fbf928_b.jpg

That's a GLOCK23 owned by a DEA agent during the Redback one class. DocGKR was in the class and he can probably explained it more of what happened.

Jupiter
06-02-12, 08:54
I may be wrong, .

You may be!

See.... even you're not sure!::D

Just kidding Ironman!
I certainly have no problem with you carrying one that ejects in your face. Thats your decision.

The only point i'm making is this:
If I have a choice between a pistol that ejects brass in my face or one that doesn't, I will choose the one that doesn't every time.
I do have a choice!
Currently, I own 9 Glocks! 2 G34s,2 G17s,1 G27,1 G22,1 G26, 1 G23 and a G19. All Gen3s except the G26 Gen 4. Over the years, shooting countless thousands of rounds at my range and in matches, I can't remember having brass come back into my face. So..... for me, a Glock that ejects stright back is BROKE! I will pass on using it for carry.
A female friend of mine recently bought a Gen 4 G26 for ccw. She has around 400 rounds through it now. On the last box of Winchester Nato, 2 rounds came back and hit her safety glasses hard! I shot the gun later that day and had one come back in my face. for me, this is unacceptable.

JB326
06-02-12, 09:01
The issue of getting .40 vs 9mm ammo/mags in the wrong gun is a very real consideration.

That would be my fear. I was initially issued a G22, but soon bought my own G35 for patrol/ tac usage. Then I bought a G23 when I moved to narcotics. Then I finally drank the 9mm Kool-Aid this year (why I waited so long, I don't know) and I switched to a G19 and a gen 4 G34.

I say all of that to say that I would never mix guns of two calibers in my gear or my vehicle. I only carry one G19 magazine even, and it is the one in the gun. Everything else is G17 mags.

All of my .40 mags got clearly labelled and secured in a different place from my 9mm stuff once the transition was completed.

hotrodder636
06-02-12, 09:18
Pat

I have to agree with this. My USPC in .40 has a more pronounced and "snappier" recoil as compared to (shot side by side) the USPC in 9mm. Yes I realize these are HK pistols, but the cartridge is the same.

Heavy Metal
06-02-12, 10:46
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6216/6338037097_4fb5fbf928_b.jpg

That's a GLOCK23 owned by a DEA agent during the Redback one class. DocGKR was in the class and he can probably explained it more of what happened.

I wonder if he ever changed the Recoil Spring Assembly? From the wear marks, it looks like that pistol has seen some use.

Heavy Metal
06-02-12, 10:47
That would be my fear. I was initially issued a G22, but soon bought my own G35 for patrol/ tac usage. Then I bought a G23 when I moved to narcotics. Then I finally drank the 9mm Kool-Aid this year (why I waited so long, I don't know) and I switched to a G19 and a gen 4 G34.

I say all of that to say that I would never mix guns of two calibers in my gear or my vehicle. I only carry one G19 magazine even, and it is the one in the gun. Everything else is G17 mags.

All of my .40 mags got clearly labelled and secured in a different place from my 9mm stuff once the transition was completed.

Different calibers get a different color paint on their floorplates.