PDA

View Full Version : Discoverd the Glock 19

Alaskapopo
05-23-12, 14:22
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Semi%20auto%20pistols/Glock19.jpg

Seen a lot of fans of this gun and I have shot it in the past but never fully realized how perfect it was as a compromise between size and power. I picked this one up for $300 used and when comparing it side by side with my 26
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Friends%20guns/Glock26.jpg

I found it was not that much larger. I found it would fit in the holster I use inside my vest with my 26 as a BUG carry. It also makes a great off duty pistol obviously. I sold my 26 to a friend and now use this Glock 19 as a off duty and back up gun. I have put about 300 rounds through it so far and it runs great. It shoots about 3 inches high at 25 yards with my +p 147 grain HST duty loads. I am very happy with this purchase.
Pat

Shokr21
05-23-12, 14:59
It's a great gun. Easily concealable, big enough (for me) to shoot all day.

It's a winner for me, I hope you enjoy yours.

Mine is a gen 4 with rwx prefix 30274 ejector. put trijicon hd's on and stock otherwise.

Alaskapopo
05-23-12, 15:03
I put a set of older Trijicon Night Sights I had kicking around on it. I will replace them with Tru Glock fiber optic night sights eventually like the ones on my 17.
Pat

Beat Trash
05-23-12, 15:40
I've always liked the Glock 19, feeling it's as close as a "do all" sized gun as I've come across.

I carried one as an off-duty gun for about 11 years. Only recently replacing it with an M&P9c. Although I'm seriously considering going back. (my issued duty gun is an M&P fs, hence the Logic for going with the compact off-duty).

If I had to make do with just one handgun for defensive use, my Glock 19 would be it. Great blend of concealibility and shoot ability.

My fondness for the Glock 19 adds to my frustration with Glock over the recent issues with the function of their guns.

I hope you enjoy yours...

Moose-Knuckle
05-23-12, 16:36
As someone once said, "when God Almighty CCWs he carries a GLOCK 19". ;)

Moltke
05-23-12, 16:44
Yep, the 19. A good size for most uses. I've been looking for a gen 2 lately.

dirt_diver
05-23-12, 17:00
This is very interesting to me, because I thought from reading your posts, that you were quite the fan of the 26. I could be wrong, but I've always attributed the apt phrase "Its the gun I carry when I don't feel like carrying".
Do you find the 19 to be that much a better alternative for you than the 26?
I only ask because you seem to be a pretty squared away guy, and I value your opinion.

Littlelebowski
05-23-12, 17:04
I had just assumed you knew, AKP. The answer to most pistol questions is "Glock 19."

DWood
05-23-12, 17:05
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Friends%20guns/Glock26.jpg

I found it was not that much larger.

With a magazine extension, the 26 is almost as big as the 19 with lower capacity. Lay the 26 with an extended mag on top of a 19 and see. For me, the 19 and 23 make more sense than the 26 or 27.

meat hunter
05-23-12, 17:09
Not only did you get a great carry gun but you got a SMOKIN deal at $300.

Alaskapopo
05-23-12, 17:46
I had just assumed you knew, AKP. The answer to most pistol questions is "Glock 19."

I did not know what I did not know. I have recommended the Glock 19 to others but I always figured it would be too big for me to carry as a bug. What prompted the sale of the 26 was money as I need some for a steel order for a three gun match I am hosting. I was comparing my 19 I just got to my 26. I noticed that the size was closer than I had thought I tried it in my bug holster and it was fine and it did not make it look like I had a third tit. In fact you could not even see it. The draw was still easy to do. The main reason I had the 26 was for use as a bug. Off duty carry was a matter of convience. I knew the 19 would be better for that but did not want to buy three guns. Well I found out the 19 can do everything my 26 did for me only better. So good bye to the 26 a friend of mine who really wanted it has it now and I have some more cash for a polish plate rack from MGM.
Pat

Alaskapopo
05-23-12, 17:48
This is very interesting to me, because I thought from reading your posts, that you were quite the fan of the 26. I could be wrong, but I've always attributed the apt phrase "Its the gun I carry when I don't feel like carrying".
Do you find the 19 to be that much a better alternative for you than the 26?
I only ask because you seem to be a pretty squared away guy, and I value your opinion.

The main thing going for the 19 for me is the 3 extra rounds (15 round mags vs 12 with the extended 26 mags) and the light rail. The 19 can also double as my back up duty gun if I need to get my 17 worked on. I could shoot the 26 pretty well. The only issue with it was not pinching my pinky finger on fast reloads.

pr1042
05-23-12, 18:15
The 19 can also double as my back up duty gun if I need to get my 17 worked on.

This was the biggest reason I went with a 17/19 combo instead of 17/26, don't have to worry being SOL if my gen 4 17 goes down. I'd prefer to conceal carry the 17 but the 19 is much more comfortable

RagweedZulu
05-23-12, 18:57
Popo, I just had the same revelation regarding my G27 vs. my G23. I took both to the range this last week. Ran some drills in between officers showing up. I've always loved the 27, still do for deep CCW. But in rapid, multi-target drills it can't compare to my 23. Inherently it's (the 27) more accurate, but the 23 is easier to shoot and get back on target or to another target.

I had officers working mag after mag with our duty pistol trying to knock down these poppers I had put about 20 yards downrange. when they ran out of ammo I got to show off a little with my 23. "ping! Ping! Ping!". All 6 knocked down as fast as I could get back on the front sight. It helps keep up the myth that I'm a good shooter when actually it was ease of running a Glock that made me look good.

JHC
05-23-12, 20:27
Far be it from me to knock the 19; we have six of them across the household of shooters. I carry one frequently and most often over the past decade. But I've also found that I can shoot the same sub 6 second FAST, same El Pres and 25-50 yd precision with a 26 as I can with a 19. I see the performance of the 17 pull out ahead a little more noticeably. And with a lot of time spent in a quasi NPE in close proximity with non-gun types; I find the 26 a good bit more discreet. Note I don't wear a badge.

Capacity of the in gun magazine is about it in my experience. But absolutely nothing wrong with the 19 of course.

dirt_diver
05-23-12, 21:13
The main thing going for the 19 for me is the 3 extra rounds (15 round mags vs 12 with the extended 26 mags) and the light rail. The 19 can also double as my back up duty gun if I need to get my 17 worked on. I could shoot the 26 pretty well. The only issue with it was not pinching my pinky finger on fast reloads.

I hear ya on the light rail and extra rounds onboard.
I just like the concealability of the 26 with the GAP floorplates on the 26 mag to hook the finger, and then reload with a 17rd mag. In your opinion, as an end user and armorer, do you see an issue with this?
I only ask because I have a couple of buddies that run this setup and I've been thinking of going the same route myself.
Maybe I should just find a buddy with a 19 and shoot the heck out of it, because there really seems to be a theme here. :D

Robb Jensen
05-23-12, 21:51
I've owned and carried a Glock 19 Gen 2 since 1989.....

Alaskapopo
05-23-12, 22:01
I hear ya on the light rail and extra rounds onboard.
I just like the concealability of the 26 with the GAP floorplates on the 26 mag to hook the finger, and then reload with a 17rd mag. In your opinion, as an end user and armorer, do you see an issue with this?
I only ask because I have a couple of buddies that run this setup and I've been thinking of going the same route myself.
Maybe I should just find a buddy with a 19 and shoot the heck out of it, because there really seems to be a theme here. :D

Occaisionally the full size mags in the 26 can cause a malfunction. I have seen it and that is why when I carried my 26 off duty I carried a 12 round mag as my spare as well instead of a Glock 17 mag. I think the problem is because you can put tension on the magazine changing the feed angle. But I could be wrong.
Pat

duece71
05-23-12, 22:25
The G19 has been good to me. I have a G17 as well so its nice to be able to use the higher cap mags in the G19, even if the mag sticks out. I just need to change out the crap sights on both guns.

dirt_diver
05-23-12, 23:23
Occaisionally the full size mags in the 26 can cause a malfunction. I have seen it and that is why when I carried my 26 off duty I carried a 12 round mag as my spare as well instead of a Glock 17 mag. I think the problem is because you can put tension on the magazine changing the feed angle. But I could be wrong.
Pat

I've read about this phenomenon, but have yet to see from anyone that's actually witnessed it occur. I take it from your experience you witnessed it happen with enough regularity to avoid carrying the G17 mag as a back up.
It looks like I just need to fall in line and go the G19 route instead of trying to reinvent the wheel with the G26.

Evan_O
05-23-12, 23:56
You can't go wrong with the 19 AKP. I actually switched sometime back and now carry a 19 on duty, off duty and a second one as a back up. I ran drill after drill and whether it be a speed drill or an accuracy drill I could do no better with a 17. I'm actually a bit faster with the 19 than the 17 and I've found accuracy to be same as the 17. I noticed my two 19's prefer the 147 grain where my previous 17 shot best with 124 grain. Our duty load is 147 grain so it works out well for me.

Be safe and enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Odglock
05-24-12, 07:46
Pat

My experience is similar.

djegators
05-24-12, 10:36
I kinda went the other way, just sorta by chance. Was carrying a 23, decided to move into 9mm, so been carrying a 19. I recently had to use my GSSF certificate before it expired, and the place I go to had a Gen4 26, so after talking to the salesman for a bit, decided to give it a try. Honestly, I thought I wouldn't like it much, and figured I would end up trading it off. But I have found I shoot it as well as anything else, and the small reduction in size adds to conceal-ability for me, esp down here in FL, where we dress light. I now see the 26 as one of the best all-around guns, right up there with the 19. If I could only have one, would be a very hard choice.

brickboy240
05-24-12, 11:05
Its a great pistol.

Now...if I can just get mine to stop beaning me in the forehead with brass 2-3 times a mag-full then it will be golden! LOL

- brickboy240

jesuvuah
05-24-12, 11:15
Well, I have experieinced this with happy sticks in my 26 and could see it happening with a 17 mag

I've read about this phenomenon, but have yet to see from anyone that's actually witnessed it occur. I take it from your experience you witnessed it happen with enough regularity to avoid carrying the G17 mag as a back up.
It looks like I just need to fall in line and go the G19 route instead of trying to reinvent the wheel with the G26.

.45fmjoe
05-24-12, 21:12

I try really hard to like mine, but I don't shoot it nearly as well as my M&P9. My girlfriend, on the other hand, can pop a regular little water bottles at 100 yards with the frigging thing. I thought I was all bad ass shooting it with my Delta Elite and M&P9 until she started hitting it too!

Don't ask about my Colt 6920 w/ a T1.

Me: Ever shot an AR-15 before?
Girlfriend: No.
Me: OK, this is how it works, blah blah blah

Girlfriend hits the ****ing water bottle on her second shot. Water bottle mind you, whatever they are - 20 oz or so? I'm not talking about a gallon jug. :blink:

Ponycar
05-24-12, 21:51
I find the 26/27's transfer energy into the web of my bony hands where I want it. Non modded 19's, 23's put recoil energy into my thumb joint and the bottom of my palm, and virtually none into the center of my hand where I need it. I actually shoot the smaller guns better than a stock 19. A moderate grip reduction greatly improves this problem for me. I do prefer the 19's increased sight radius. Several years ago the Glock magazine published the difference in velocity between the 19/26 and the 23/27. As I recall the .40 lost a lower percentage of energy with the shorter barreled guns. I tend to favor a 19 with a grip reduction, or if I want to go a bit smaller, a 27 with a pierce pinky extension.

Tango Charlie145
05-25-12, 07:54
The Glock 19 is my all around favorite Glock handgun. I have always told people, even when I was carrying a 1911, if I had to have 1 handgun, it would be the 19. We have gone over how many advantages there are to the 19 so I will not go into that. However, I did just acquire a 17 and have been very impressed so far. Enjoy the 19.
Strength and Honor!
TC

High Altitude
05-26-12, 17:44

My 26 will do this with longer glock mags unless I have a grip sleeve over the magazine. You put pressure on the magazine with your pinky, it tilts and you get a FTFeed.

I also just went the 19 route. Perfect balance of size vs capacity and is very accurate.

I bought a full size and compact 9mm M&P, but when it comes to size vs capacity vs accuracy, they don't match up with the 19.

Lost River
05-27-12, 09:47
Owning a bunch of Gaston's goodies over the last couple decades, using them for duty and competition, as well as being issued the G21(conus), later a G19 for overseas work, I find (for me) the 3rd gen G19 to be the best choice for an all around sidearm.

No real surprise to most that have used them heavily. They simply work well for things people normally carry guns for.

I was periodically in charge of a whole host of weapons systems overseas. The G 19s were one of the most heavily used and least repaired weapons in the inventory.

drsal
05-27-12, 10:11
The stippling is pretty cool !

Texas42
05-27-12, 10:25
The stippling is pretty cool !

+1

Big fan of the 19.

GJM
05-27-12, 11:30
It shoots about 3 inches high at 25 yards with my +p 147 grain HST duty loads. I am very happy with this purchase.
Pat

So do mine. You need a .235 front sight from Heinie or 10-8 to go with your Warren, Heinie or 10-8 rear.

Ranger45
05-27-12, 11:35
Congrats on your discovery of the G19. They are outstanding pistols...extremely versatile. I love mine, and am sure you'll enjoy yours as well!

Cameron
05-27-12, 12:15
I think the Glock19, like the 16" mid length AR, is the sweet spot in the platform.

Cameron

hotrodder636
05-27-12, 12:44
I remember shooting a Glock pistol about 15 years ago (I was about 17 at the time) and I absolutely could not stand it. In fact I said to self, "self, NEVER buy a Glock". I was used to shooting 1911s then and have since done a lot more shooting ( obviously more years on the range). Recently I was helping my buddy find a 9mm for his son, and we looked at the G19. My buddy bought the gun, but turns out his son does not like shooting it as it is uncomfortable. I ended up shooting it a few times at the range and was surprised how nice it ran and how well I shot it. This was not the way I remembered the Glock! Anyways, my buddy sold me the gun for $300 after only 75 rounds went down the pipe and a good bit of the. Sent from me. Months later, I still enjoy shooting the pistol and has become my "regular" carry pistol over my H&K USP40C. I am currently considering a second G19 if I can figure out how to get the Gen 4 from ejecting empties into my forehead.

Blades
05-27-12, 15:33
Pat

Has anyone noticed this when using a G17 magazine in a G19, or is it just because of the short G26 grip?

Littlelebowski
05-27-12, 19:07
Has anyone noticed this when using a G17 magazine in a G19, or is it just because of the short G26 grip?

Never had a problem with 17 mags in a 19.

TacMedic556
05-27-12, 20:07
The end all be all in my opinion of semi-auto pistols. It really meets all criteria of reliability, function, durability, maintanance, rounds carried, accuracy, power, ease of use, price, reputation/record, etc.

The many expert opinions that far out weigh mine have come to the same conclusion. The 19 is the ONE gun as far as pistols go. I love mine and have often considered selling my 26 and 17 for more 19's.

Moose-Knuckle
05-28-12, 01:52

I have never experianced this while using G17 and G18 mags in my G19s.

Guinnessman
05-28-12, 07:28
I have never experianced this while using G17 and G18 mags in my G19s.

I practice with G17 magazines in my G19 on every range session and never had an issue. The G19 has great flexibility using the 15 round G19 Mags and 17 round G17 mags.

The magazine compatability along with the parts availability makes the G19 a winner. Plus, the factory trigger smooths out after 1000 rounds, giving you a nice crisp trigger pull.

Gary1911A1
05-28-12, 08:07
The Glock 19 is my favorite Glock like a lot of you I find the size to conceal and shoot the best for me so much it's my GSSF Match Pistol too. I like to get my pinky finger on the grip which I can't do with the 26, and I don't like the hump on the bottom rear of the 17 grip.

I read an article by Massad Ayoob making a case for the 26 being the most accurate Glock for GSSP and other competitions. He thought that the shorter barrel being more ridged was the reason and downplayed the shorter sight radius. I don't really know, but it was an interesting read, but I've shot the 26 and I don't think it would work for me even with a grip sleeve. I even plan on shooting my 19 today along with some other pistols. Have a great Memorial Day everyone.:smile:

QuietShootr
05-28-12, 10:07
I'm a G19 fan too. I recently acquired a NIB Gen 2 :-D

Mods I like to make are:
Grip Force Adapter - I have a very high grip from years of shooting 1911s, and all Glocks give me railroad tracks on my hand. The GFA cured that, and I'm going to buy a case of them just to make sure I have a lifetime supply in case they go under.
Vickers magazine catch
Trijicon HD sights in orange - Holy shit are these things fast.
Factory competition slide stop
Maritime spring cups

Add a Raven Phantom, and I'm done.

I recently picked up a Galco Ankle Glove for the 19 for those days when I have to play nice with the sheeple. Works just fine under suits or business casual.

Axcelea
05-28-12, 10:56
I think the main difference in how well the 26 conceals vs the 19 is the grip but that is with flush magazines. Since you did an extension it should be the wise decision to just upgrade to the 19 for all reasons mentioned (larger mag, pinky finger out of the way, etc).

Love my 19 but have considered a 26 for less grip protrusion for that 5%- of the time it may come into effect. Not really a big deal when you think about it and often not worth the extra money for a niche.

Haven't heard about larger mags messing up in a 26 before but good to hear and take into consideration. As others have said your pretty good to go using any mag a 19 can take.