PDA

View Full Version : Hassle Glock untill ejection issue is fixed

Freerunner
05-23-12, 14:32
Everybody, I mean everybody (who is having Glock issues) should be calling Glock and asking for Doug Robinson (phone answering manager) and William Carmichael (armor manager) by name and hassling them until the ejection problem is fixed. William is also one of the head managers. I have been talking to him and Doug since September last year to try and get my 4 Gen 3 9mm pistols fixed, and have sent my guns back and fourth many times. All of my guns still kick brass at me often (even with the updated ejector). Glock needs to be pushed into a solution by customer complaints. The only way this is going to happen is by continually calling them and complaining. As soon as you mention one or both of these names, the attitude of who ever you are talking too changes.

If we do not call and complain, Glock will continue to think that it is not a problem. If you have an issue, or still have an issue after sending it in for repair please let them know.

Glock (770) 432-1202

Wayne Dobbs
05-23-12, 18:52
That's an excellent suggestion, but the main reason the problem hasn't been dealt with properly is that Glock is selling 35K units a month. In other words, they are selling pistols as fast as they can make them, even though they are shipping a bunch of guns that are way below par. Based on those kinds of numbers, they probably don't really care about fixing their mess...

ImBroke
05-23-12, 19:02
If we do not call and complain, Glock will continue to think that it is not a problem. I

Pretty sure Glock knows it's a problem. They don't care enough to do anything about it. A common issue in manufacturing today.

GingerPatches
05-23-12, 19:56
It seems like a concentrated effort in the public domain would be a decent way to get some response from Glock Inc. However, nobody knows actually how widespread the issue is.

avengd7x
05-23-12, 20:18
I think another part of the problem is that some of these issues don't pop up right away. For example, my 2010 Gen 3 has been problematic from the start, but my 2012 Gen 4 seemed better until a couple weeks ago. It was ejecting pretty well at first and it wasn't till around ~1000 rounds that it started kicking more brass into my face.

A lot of my buddies love their glocks and m&ps but haven't shot them more than a hand full of times and haven't shot them out past 7 yards, so they're completely oblivious to the potential problems their guns might be hiding.

C4IGrant
05-23-12, 20:30
That's an excellent suggestion, but the main reason the problem hasn't been dealt with properly is that Glock is selling 35K units a month. In other words, they are selling pistols as fast as they can make them, even though they are shipping a bunch of guns that are way below par. Based on those kinds of numbers, they probably don't really care about fixing their mess...

Bingo.

To add to this, I am of the opinion that Glock simply does not know how to fix it (to be brutally honest).

C4

GingerPatches
05-23-12, 20:53
A lot of my buddies love their glocks and m&ps but haven't shot them more than a hand full of times and haven't shot them out past 7 yards, so they're completely oblivious to the potential problems their guns might be hiding.

Also a good point. While the breadth of the issue isn't known, most folks won't even bother, simply because they purchase a Glock, shoot 50 rounds, and call it good.

My newest gen4 G26 is the only gen4 that has flung brass 6 o'clock. I wear a hat for this reason...and it isn't a big deal for me. I really like Glock pistols, and erratic ejections aren't enough to make me invest a large sum of money into a platform switch. Glock will either get squared away, most likely due to a failed LE contract with problem guns, or Randy Lee will get things running smoothly.

Rattlehead
05-23-12, 21:23
The fascinating Mr. Lee will pull through with a fix.

F-Trooper05
05-23-12, 22:33
To add to this, I am of the opinion that Glock simply does not know how to fix it (to be brutally honest)

Turn back the clock and do whatever they were doing for 23 years before 2010.

The fascinating Mr. Lee will pull through with a fix.

Sad that it has to come to that.

trinydex
05-23-12, 22:50
Bingo.

To add to this, I am of the opinion that Glock simply does not know how to fix it (to be brutally honest).

C4

i think this is truly the heart of the matter.

even the internet itself is solving things on a case by case basis and via trial by error

Striker
05-23-12, 22:50
Turn back the clock and do whatever they were doing for 23 years before 2010.

This. For the Gen 3 guns, why not go back to the older parts? Is it a cost issue?

ralph
05-24-12, 10:16
I think Grant's right..Glock dosen't know how to fix it..So far the only person who has offered a viable fix, is Randy Lee. When he gets his extractors out, and offers ejection port lowering, I'll be sending my slide to him..As it is now, with a LW extractor installed, I'm not getting beaned that often, But Randy's offering a permanent cure, and from what I've read, it works no matter what ejector you're using,and I figure it would probably cheaper than rebuilding the pistol, like alot of folks do with their M&P's..

Dave L.
05-24-12, 10:26
Your money will echo louder than your calls and emails. Stop buying Gen 4's or just stop buying Glock until they get their $hit together.

I keep buying Gen 3's and have no issues.

brickboy240
05-24-12, 11:08
I have to agree.

Stop buying their products.

Its sort of like the auto industry. Calling and complaining to Ford and Chrysler did me no good at all. In the end...I just bought a Toyota truck and said screw the American garbage pickups.

6 years later and Ford and Dodge still crank out crap and I still drive a Tundra. Bottom line: these large manufacturers probably don't care, because they STILL move tons of product even if there is a large and known problem.

The only real thing we can do as consumers is to vote with our wallets.

- brickboy240

az larry
05-24-12, 12:05
I think they know. And I think they would have to machine new slides to fix the problem.

For now I'm bandaiding my 2 guns that have this issue so they don't eject in my face. They do not have any FTFs.

And I agree, I certainly won't buy or reccomend Glocks anymore. As an FFL, I won't sell any either.

The market will sort this out but it will take some large customers, US Gov, and large Police Depts. to get Gaston to get his shit together. Just don't hold your breath.

Striker
05-24-12, 12:11
Your money will echo louder than your calls and emails. Stop buying Gen 4's or just stop buying Glock until they get their $hit together.

Yes and no. Depends on how widespread the problem actually is and you covered both sides of the debate. If your Glock doesn't perform correctly, stop buying them. There are other guns on the market you can buy. However, depending on how widespread the problem actually is will dictate how well this will work. As long as the majority don't have problems, Glock will keep selling pistols and LEAs will keep using them. Same reason why S&W won't rectify the 9mm accuracy problem. They sell enough pistols so that it isn't a big concern for them.

ygbsm
05-24-12, 12:28
This thread is quite entertaining.

So you call in to complain about your Glock not working right. You and 5,000 other people that Glock has no way of telling if you actually know what you are doing, shooting any kind of factory ammo, without having done anything to the gun.

They may have jumped the shark on the 9mm dual recoil spring assembly, but hey call the Austrians and complain. It's their design. Glock in the US just gets guns from Austria and sells em.

Iraqgunz
05-24-12, 12:37
1. Glock is well aware of the issue as they hear about from personnel who attend the armorer courses. It has nothing to know with what you are doing and even die hard Glock shooters (I am) are saying the same thing. Something has changed or happened and it needs to get fixed.

2. Apparently you aren't aware that U.S market Glocks are almost entirely made in the factory in Smyrna. So no they don't just get them from Austria and sell them.

This thread is quite entertaining.

So you call in to complain about your Glock not working right. You and 5,000 other people that Glock has no way of telling if you actually know what you are doing, shooting any kind of factory ammo, without having done anything to the gun.

They may have jumped the shark on the 9mm dual recoil spring assembly, but hey call the Austrians and complain. It's their design. Glock in the US just gets guns from Austria and sells em.

williejc
05-24-12, 13:12
Grant said that Glock may not know how to fix the problem. If so, then does it follow that they don't understand why the older pistols worked correctly?

I wonder if Glock 9's sold to European agencies are showing the same issues.

C4IGrant
05-24-12, 13:23
Grant said that Glock may not know how to fix the problem. If so, then does it follow that they don't understand why the older pistols worked correctly?

I wonder if Glock 9's sold to European agencies are showing the same issues.

IMHO, Glock got it "right" out of the gate by PURE luck (it happens).

Someone much more experienced than I said it best; "Glock doesn't know how to fix guns that don't run because they have never had to do it before."

C4

glocktogo
05-24-12, 13:43
The only way Glock will fix it is if they have plenty of time on their hands. The only way that'll happen is if the lines are idle and the shipping warehouse is full of unordered guns.

Good luck getting there. :(

az larry
05-24-12, 13:48
That's pretty good Grant. I've said before, and note I am no engineer that the fact this started on Gen 3 guns and Gen 4 guns revolves around the time Glock was tooling up for the Gen 4.

My wild ass guess is that the tooling that cuts the ejection ports on late Gen 3s is not the same tooling (or CNC program) that cut the early guns, even early Gen 3s.

It may even be the same as Gen 4s.

Will they address it? I doubt it. In my case, as long as I don't get FTFs and brass in my face I can live with brass in a neat pile 2 feet away.

Plus I still have a stash of older parts to mess with. But I like to tinker. But I think the days of Glock 9mm guns tossing brass like an AK are over. It's another "new reality" we either need to live it with or bail from the platform. Personal choice of course.

But I can live with it as long as the gun stays reliable and doesn't mess up my pricey glasses.

I forsee a niche market in early Gen 3 Glocks. I know I'll be on the lookout.;)

High Altitude
05-24-12, 14:39
Glock knows exactly what is up. They designed and manufactured pistols for over 25 years that worked. Glock made some changes and for whatever reason isn't willing to go back.

pat701
05-24-12, 18:26
Glock perfect!!! Thats why i own Sig's:D

Ed L.
05-24-12, 18:41

We've had multiple reports of the same issues with Gen 3s.

I had a Gen 2 that I bought used that needed a trip to APex to fix and make it eject correctly. Sending it back to Glock got me a gun that had hozzizontal stovepipes that it neve experienced before.

I think the only answer is to start an "Occupy Glock" movement.

If we did so, the money we would save on personal hygene products would be enough to allow us to ultimately buy H&Ks.

Straight Shooter
05-24-12, 20:22
Hey Iraqgunz-
I just want to clarify your statement about the Glocks being "made in Smyrna".
Are they just recieving the parts from Austria, then assembling the guns?
Or are they actually manufacturing from start to finish there? I have never ever heard this before. If they are 100% made there, why arent the pistols marked MADE IN USA instead of MADE IN AUSTRIA?
I am just wondering this, not doubting your word, and I wonder if any high level, well known shooters and teachers have ever contacted
Glock personally to inform them of the current situation?

Ironman8
05-24-12, 20:40
As was said in another thread, it's not time to "uncork the champagne", but there have been 4 recent accounts of (3) G19s and (1) G26 that came back from Glock with a different, non-dip extractor. 3 out of the 4 guys (all 3 of the G19s) who got this extractor back have reported much more consistent ejection with none to the 6:00. The other guy with the G26 hasn't posted any testing yet...I guess time will tell how these hold up!

At this time, the guns that came back with these "different" extractors were Gen 3s. Trying to determine if these extractors are only going in the Gen 3s or any 4s...

See here (pics and all ;)):

Posts #12 & #30 (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=105940)

Posts #662 & #667 (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92133&page=34)

Psalms144.1
05-24-12, 21:08
One of the replacement G19s I got from Glock last year had the non-dip extractor and still beaned me in the forehead with brass plenty.

I will say that at least one of the Glock people mentioned in this thread told me directly that there is a problem with the current production 9mms, that Glock does NOT know what's causing it, and that, when it starts, they frequently cannot do ANYTHING that will permanently make the pistol work. So, either you get one that works, or you don't. You might get one that works at first (like my 2010 OD 3rd Gen) and later craps the bed, or you might get one that's bad from jump. In either case, no amount of parts replacement will fix the problem.

Or, like JHC, you might get a whole SLEW of them that work perfectly. Luck of the draw. I got four bad ones in a row, he got 4-5 good ones in a row. Figure the odds...

WRT "fixing" the problem at Glock, it ain't gonna happen, IMHO. Glock stuck its head in the sand and basically did nothing conclusive about the fact that lots of LE and .mil users equipped with G22s using pistol lights were having significant reliability issues - hence the reason we got the Gen4 (designed specifically around the .40 S&W with a light attached). Glock isn't likely to give a darn about civilian users and individual officers who are having problems with their G19s.

IMHO, the only hope here is that Glock will learn lessons from the "one size fits all" approach they initially took on the Gen4s, and, when/if the 5.0s (or whatever they call them) come out, they'll design each platform around their intended caliber. Maybe THEN all the Glocks will work...

Regards,

Kevin

chitownpig
05-25-12, 04:02
Went against my better judgment and purchased my first G17 about a month ago, and like most had the problem with brass hitting me in the face. Brought the gun into my department range today to qualify and I bitched a bit about the problem. Well long story short my range officer told me Glock had replacement ejectors that fixed the problem, he installed it on my pistol and 350 rounds later I haven't had one round hit me in the face. Seems to have fixed the issue thankfully but I won't hold my breath. So that's my experience so far. Prior to the new ejector being installed I only had 400 rounds through the weapon and I'd say as many as 40% of the spent casings came back at my face.

Edited to add that the above mentioned Glock is a gen 4

eleven
05-25-12, 04:20

chitownpig
05-25-12, 05:50
Here is a photo.

Old problem extractor on the right new functioning extractor on the weapon.

Sorry not sure how else to embed the image.

GingerPatches
05-25-12, 06:28
Here is a photo.

Old problem extractor on the right new functioning extractor on the weapon.

Sorry not sure how else to embed the image.

Ah,

You are referring to the new ejector, one "band-aid" fix that Glock came up with in an attempt to fix some guns. Works for some, not for others.

The extractor is the small, spring-loaded rectangular piece that sits directly aft of the ejection port.

chitownpig
05-25-12, 06:31
Yes absolutely. My mistake and apologies. Work has me on 28 hours without sleep right now and I'm lucky I know my right from left. Thanks for catching that for me.

GingerPatches
05-25-12, 06:33
Yes absolutely. My mistake and apologies. Work has me on 28 hours without sleep right now and I'm lucky I know my right from left. Thanks for catching that for me.

Hey, no problem amigo. :)

az larry
05-25-12, 07:29
Is it me or is that not a 30274 ejector? Looks like a different number and can't tell from the pic but it doesn't look like the same curve as a 30274, different number too

Ironman8
05-25-12, 07:38
It says 30276. Is it supposed to be 30274??

az larry
05-25-12, 07:47
Yep, looks like a new, new ejector:confused: I have not seen 30276 ejectors, only told ones and 30274.

C4IGrant
05-25-12, 08:51
From my personal experience, the ejector matters very little. Reason I know this is because I basically took one and cut it in an half. Gun ran just fine.

So if anything, the ejector accounts for maybe 5% to the overall "fix" for Glock.

This is why I say that Glock doesn't know how to fix the issue (as they keep changing out ejectors). This isn't where the problem is.

As I have posted several times on here, there is a compound math problem going on here. One that involves the following issues:

1. The magazine follower/round is needed in order for the gun to properly extract and eject.
2. Spring tension in the magazine is a KEY component to how well the gun extracts and ejects.
3. Frame flex with or without a light changing the feed angle.
4. Low ejection port window.
5. Extractor that does not grab the rim of the case in the same way every time.
6. No "pocket" cut in the breech face to keep the case centered.
7. Over powered guide rod spring (GEN 4) + weak US ammo (not +P like they use in EU).
8. Any kind of build up around the extractor limits its range of motion (thus causing extraction to the 6 position).
9. Factory change of the extractor (which made things worse).
10. Glock has no experience with fixing complex problems with a firearm.

C4

az larry
05-25-12, 09:03
Grant, your about 80% right. In my experiance so far, the ejector has to do with the angle the brass goes. In my case, the angle is higher so the brass does not come back but goes right.

That said, extraction is still weak. And that's where I agree with the rest of your post.

I'd still like to find out WTF is up with this 30276 ejector!

C4IGrant
05-25-12, 09:12
Grant, your about 80% right. In my experiance so far, the ejector has to do with the angle the brass goes. In my case, the angle is higher so the brass does not come back but goes right.

That said, extraction is still weak. And that's where I agree with the rest of your post.

I'd still like to find out WTF is up with this 30276 ejector!

If the case would be extracted at the same height each and every time, then you could figure out the position that the ejector needs to be in. Since no one knows how the case is coming out (do to all the reasons listed above in my "top 10 list"), it is a waste of time to mess with the angle, height and length of the ejector IMHO.

C4

C4IGrant
05-25-12, 09:26
So what's a Glock fan to do when his gun is either not reliable or is kicking brass to his face and Glock is of no help??

Couple things to try:

1. See where your case is being hit at (when it meets the ejector). Coat the primer and rear of the case with marking fluid/dye (or a black marker). Leave a spot open where THAT side contacts the extractor (so you know the orientation).

2. After the above is done, you can file an angle on the ejector for both lift and direction.

3. Check the extractor for wear marks. See if there is any binding and with a stone, even them out.

4. If running a GEN 4, go back to a single guide rod spring.

5. Put Wolff + mag springs in.

Of course, remove the FPS and extractor and clean all around inside to make sure that there isn't anything in there that is hindering range of motion.

Good luck!

C4

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
05-25-12, 09:30
If the case would be extracted at the same height each and every time, then you could figure out the position that the ejector needs to be in. Since no one knows how the case is coming out (do to all the reasons listed above in my "top 10 list"), it is a waste of time to mess with the angle, height and length of the ejector IMHO.

C4
Do you think that Glock milling the ejection port low enough would correct most of the problem thereby making it easier to find the fix by swapping components? It seems that Glock has changed the dimensions on their slides during the 2010 phase-in, if I'm understanding the different postings with regards to the extractor opening i guess. That and the extractor being MIM without good QC? I wish I had kept my old g19 and 26 but at least they went to someone who needed them at the time. I'd like to snatch a gen 4 G19 but I don't want to deal with a problem gun.

C4IGrant
05-25-12, 09:39
Do you think that Glock milling the ejection port low enough would correct most of the problem thereby making it easier to find the fix by swapping components? It seems that Glock has changed the dimensions on their slides during the 2010 phase-in, if I'm understanding the different postings with regards to the extractor opening i guess. That and the extractor being MIM without good QC? I wish I had kept my old g19 and 26 but at least they went to someone who needed them at the time. I'd like to snatch a gen 4 G19 but I don't want to deal with a problem gun.

It would solve many of the problems and allow for the guns erractic ejection to be a none issue.

C4

az larry
05-25-12, 10:59
FYI, just got off the phone with Glock, they never heard of a 30275, I sent them a pic and they promised to get back to me. Friggin weird!

C4IGrant
05-25-12, 11:11
FYI, just got off the phone with Glock, they never heard of a 30275, I sent them a pic and they promised to get back to me. Friggin weird!

LOL. :alcoholic:

C4

brickboy240
05-25-12, 11:11
Any new news on when Apex will have it's Glock 9mm extractors ready?

I am going to drop that in, lower the ejection port and add Wolff mag springs and if that does not fix it....I am going on a serious search for an early Gen 3 or Gen 2 G19 and selling this thing.

- brickboy240

az larry
05-25-12, 11:15
I've got half a mind to call Austria and find an English speaking tech!!!

az larry
05-25-12, 11:29
Any new news on when Apex will have it's Glock 9mm extractors ready?

I am going to drop that in, lower the ejection port and add Wolff mag springs and if that does not fix it....I am going on a serious search for an early Gen 3 or Gen 2 G19 and selling this thing.

- brickboy240

My 19s are older and work. I have a new G34 that's now not hitting me in the head but ejects weak, no FTFs but not that strong AK like ejection.

After I bought the thing I found a used G34 from 06. But if I bought it my wife would never let me live it down.

And in good faith I couldnt sell this new G34, even if I got it working right unless it was done by Glock. We'll see, I'm going to tinker more this weekend.

az larry
05-25-12, 12:37
One of my guys thinks that ejector is a 30274, the stamp and pic make it look like a 6.
I guess i should email Glock back so they don't waste time and go back to fixing shit.

brickboy240
05-25-12, 14:23
If I wanted to tinker....I'd just buy another 1911.

LOL

- brickboy240

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
05-25-12, 14:39
It would solve many of the problems and allow for the guns erractic ejection to be a none issue.

C4

So how do folks convince the engineers at glock to take their heads out of their nether regions and properly mill the slides and make the guns they were known for? Or do we just hope they'll listen to these complaints and fix it? The nypd still authorizes the glock 19 and 26 as duty and off duty weapons and just recently approved the gen 4 versions. Last I spoke to a friend still there, he told me they've seen no problems with their gen 3s but no word on gen 4s yet. They're also in the process of approving the m&p9c for off duty and trying to correct ammo issues seen with the FS so both can be authorized. I bet Glock will pucker the old bung hole if they see a drop in orders if problems start showing up in those orders and folks switch to m&ps. The city is the largest single customer of G19s in the country, if not world wide. Explains why they jumped when they started getting calls about problems with those early Glocks and had to do some sort of slide milling, possibly with ejection ports then as well.

az larry
05-25-12, 14:41
I've had the exact same thought, but after spending a day just trying to get a grip safety right I'm not to bothered by tinkering wiht a Glock. I can take it totally apart in less time just thinking about working on a 1911:)

ck1
05-26-12, 01:04
Personally, again JMHO here, having owned (and having gotten rid of) 3 different Gen4 9mm's which ran like crap (or more like just didn't run), I think the issues come down to 2 things: the newer cost-savings>performance sub-par extractors (in late Gen3's and Gen4's) which is minor/fixable and the major/design flawed dual-recoil RSA's in the Gen4's that have radically changed the "timing" of the pistols (replacing simple, consistent and linear with overly complex, inconsistent, and progressive (more so or less so depending on which one you get).

The first thing isn't too hard to figure out; crappy parts = crap performance. Fix: Go back to making them like they used to.

The second is different, the design is just flawed IMO, the new RSA's are fairly complex devices unto themselves, there is a vast amount of variance; some are smooth, some unlock soft and then cycle tight, others lock-up tight and then cycle easily, nearly all are not linear, they have a built-in "hitch" in their operation due to the separate springs that isn't always in the same place twice and can actually be quite random. The flex in Glock frames under recoil is pretty consistent and works for the design, but add a progressive recoil stroke instead of a linear stroke and voila, f'ed up timing = no bueno. The dual-spring RSA is an attempt at very crude shock absorber, but combined with the unlocking of the action, tilting of the barrel, and frame flex, crude doesn't seem to be cutting it. Most of the Gen4's I've seen "cured" have been done so by installing an aftermarket guide-rod using a old-style single spring, I've seen one go from biggest POS ever to pretty much perfect by using the Gen3 recoil assembly (polymer rod) and the reducing washer and think that's the best "fix" I've seen yet for troubled Gen4's.

I think the ejector and lowering of the ejection port stuff is nonsense.

VIP3R 237
05-26-12, 01:19
Unfortunately gaston glock is kind of the al davis (rip) or jerry jones of the gun world, while everyone else out there is saying there is a problem, glock has surrounded himself with too many "yes men". And as others have mentioned, how can you argue with sales being up and months of backorder?

And thanks Grant for the tips, I will definitely have to give those a try to see if I can fix my erratic ejection.

az larry
05-26-12, 07:46
I wish that were true. I'm heading out today to shoot the piss out of my Gen 3 G34. I'm going to try 4 different extractors , Glock and LW just to see if I can get extraction to be strong, not just a ft to the right. Also have different ammo. I'm even going to shoot some Hirtenberger subgun ammo. Aint nothing hotter.

Pointshoot
05-26-12, 11:37
If I wanted to tinker....I'd just buy another 1911.

LOL

- brickboy240

I recently bought a late model G17 Gen 3. I need a 9mm sidearm and had known about the long term reliability reputation of this pistol. Reliability, long track record, reasonable cost of gun/ammo/magazines - - were all reasons that I bought it. I have Glock 10mm pistols and they work well. Unfortunately, I hadnt done research on current Glock 9mm pistols before buying this gun. (After its been around so long, I had hadn't imagined that was necessary. My mistake.)
I'll have to put a lot of rounds through this thing, but I'm in no mood to screw around with it alot. If I can't trust it 100% I'll dump it. Switching out parts and having ejection ports machined is pure bull_t.

trinydex
05-26-12, 22:51
Personally, again JMHO here, having owned (and having gotten rid of) 3 different Gen4 9mm's which ran like crap (or more like just didn't run), I think the issues come down to 2 things: the newer cost-savings>performance sub-par extractors (in late Gen3's and Gen4's) which is minor/fixable and the major/design flawed dual-recoil RSA's in the Gen4's that have radically changed the "timing" of the pistols (replacing simple, consistent and linear with overly complex, inconsistent, and progressive (more so or less so depending on which one you get).

The first thing isn't too hard to figure out; crappy parts = crap performance. Fix: Go back to making them like they used to.

The second is different, the design is just flawed IMO, the new RSA's are fairly complex devices unto themselves, there is a vast amount of variance; some are smooth, some unlock soft and then cycle tight, others lock-up tight and then cycle easily, nearly all are not linear, they have a built-in "hitch" in their operation due to the separate springs that isn't always in the same place twice and can actually be quite random. The flex in Glock frames under recoil is pretty consistent and works for the design, but add a progressive recoil stroke instead of a linear stroke and voila, f'ed up timing = no bueno. The dual-spring RSA is an attempt at very crude shock absorber, but combined with the unlocking of the action, tilting of the barrel, and frame flex, crude doesn't seem to be cutting it. Most of the Gen4's I've seen "cured" have been done so by installing an aftermarket guide-rod using a old-style single spring, I've seen one go from biggest POS ever to pretty much perfect by using the Gen3 recoil assembly (polymer rod) and the reducing washer and think that's the best "fix" I've seen yet for troubled Gen4's.

I think the ejector and lowering of the ejection port stuff is nonsense.

the g26 has always had the rsa that the gen 4 converted over to. so why then does mine still eject poorly after i replaced the extractor?

its really not so simple.

auto10mm
05-27-12, 08:04
I think this is an economic issue for Glock, until they lose sales or contracts they are not likely to get this fixed. To keep the price of the pistol about the same as when I first got my Glock 16 years ago they had to make production less costly. Cheaper parts led to more problems.

longball
05-27-12, 08:50
Has anyone taken high speed footage while shooting an older gun known to run and compared it to footage of a problem gun? Would being able to compare that footage shed any light on the extractor/ejector angles and ejection port questions?

ygbsm
05-30-12, 15:07
1. Glock is well aware of the issue as they hear about from personnel who attend the armorer courses. It has nothing to know with what you are doing and even die hard Glock shooters (I am) are saying the same thing. Something has changed or happened and it needs to get fixed.

Glock awareness-Glock US? Glock Austrians? Glock Mr. Glock? Who do you think you need to convince there is a problem?

2. Apparently you aren't aware that U.S market Glocks are almost entirely made in the factory in Smyrna. So no they don't just get them from Austria and sell them.

US Market glocks are not made in the factory in Smyrna. There are about 4 US made Glocks sold commercially in the US. Everything else goes overseas.

DeltaSierra
05-30-12, 16:45
US Market glocks are not made in the factory in Smyrna. There are about 4 US made Glocks sold commercially in the US. Everything else goes overseas.

i have yet to see, in person, a glock frame that is us made.

every single glock i've handled has been marked:

made in austria
glock, inc smyrna, ga

longball
05-30-12, 21:38

made in austria
glock, inc smyrna, ga

Unfortunately, because of where I work, I see a lot of Glocks every week. This has been my experience as well.

brushy bill
05-31-12, 09:54

made in austria
glock, inc smyrna, ga

Here's a few from the Glock pic thread on this site...rather unremarkable...just lack the "made in Austria" markings.

DeltaSierra
05-31-12, 11:29
Here's a few from the Glock pic thread on this site...rather unremarkable...just lack the "made in Austria" markings.

yep, i know that such a thing exists, but i still have never actually seen one, in person... ;)

TeamGrazzi
05-31-12, 15:33
Called Glock today about taking 60/200 off my forehead from my G19 at the range the other day.... At first they wanted to tell me it was my recoil spring? After sitting on hold for 10 more min while they got someone with an IQ over 15 I am now sending it back to them. Will keep you updated as to what they do.

Current set up:
Gen4 G19 (blue label)
Serial - RXW
Collection date: 9/14/11
Ejector: 336

Shokr21
05-31-12, 16:33
Called Glock today about taking 60/200 off my forehead from my G19 at the range the other day.... At first they wanted to tell me it was my recoil spring? After sitting on hold for 10 more min while they got someone with an IQ over 15 I am now sending it back to them. Will keep you updated as to what they do.

Current set up:
Gen4 G19 (blue label)
Serial - RXW
Collection date: 9/14/11
Ejector: 336

Our G19's were born on the same date. first 650 rounds I had errant ejection and 15 stovepipes. Enter 30274 ejector 800 rounds error free. Did you try that avenue at all?

Not that it matters because it's on its way back, just saying.

JHC
05-31-12, 17:27
Or, like JHC, you might get a whole SLEW of them that work perfectly. Luck of the draw. I got four bad ones in a row, he got 4-5 good ones in a row. Figure the odds...

Kevin,
Within the past month I noted that our FDE Gen 3 G17 ejected quite poorly and a switch to an old circa '99 extractor made it proper. And then my 5K rds GTG early Gen 4 G19 had a 180 degree stoppage and ejection turned very weak. Switch to another older LCI extractor returned it to normal.

But the three shooters of my family team now have combined 8 Gen 4 9mms and three later production Gen 3s which have run well - with the two noted exceptions above. I swear sometimes I wonder if they send their best stuff to the 400 store in Dawsonville. ;)

See the ejection of this pistol. It is one of the first Gen 4 G17s that hit the streets locally in 2010. Here and today it's still got it's original unmarked RSA, no changes but for a minus connector, Warren sights and a Vickers mag release. This is pretty much what we've seen for 10K in that gun and most of a few tens of thou's in the set. [shrug]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/7301475234/in/photostream

mizer67
05-31-12, 17:46
Kevin,
Within the past month I noted that our FDE Gen 3 G17 ejected quite poorly and a switch to an old circa '99 extractor made it proper. And then my 5K rds GTG early Gen 4 G19 had a 180 degree stoppage and ejection turned very weak. Switch to another older LCI extractor returned it to normal.

But the three shooters of my family team now have combined 8 Gen 4 9mms and three later production Gen 3s which have run well - with the two noted exceptions above. I swear sometimes I wonder if they send their best stuff to the 400 store in Dawsonville. ;)

See the ejection of this pistol. It is one of the first Gen 4 G17s that hit the streets locally in 2010. Here and today it's still got it's original unmarked RSA, no changes but for a minus connector, Warren sights and a Vickers mag release. This is pretty much what we've seen for 10K in that gun and most of a few tens of thou's in the set. [shrug]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/7301475234/in/photostream

JHC, how big of a person are you physically?

I only ask because Randy from Apex originally surmised that the mass of the shooter behind the gun played a role in how well it ejected. The bigger the shooter, the worse the ejection.

JHC
05-31-12, 17:56
JHC, how big of a person are you physically?

I only ask because Randy from Apex originally surmised that the mass of the shooter behind the gun played a role in how well it ejected. The bigger the shooter, the worse the ejection.

mizer that is a great question! I found that observation by Randy to be just incredibly interesting. I'm 5'11 and 165-170. My elder son who shot next most of this with equally good results is 175. Both on the lighter side of Randy's hypothesis. Things that make you go hmmmm eh?

Too much rigidity to the platform (mass of shooter) = too much slide velocity?

az larry
05-31-12, 18:02
This is getting just weird, so we should try limp wristing and see if ejection improves? I'm 6'3 and 250. I'm really happy my issues seem resolved with just the ejector!

JHC
05-31-12, 18:06
This is getting just weird, so we should try limp wristing and see if ejection improves? I'm 6'3 and 250. I'm really happy my issues seem resolved with just the ejector!

LOL no shit. Easier than dropping 70 lbs! ;)

az larry
05-31-12, 18:23
I just read over on Glocktalk were a guy sent his old Gen 2 G19 in with a cracked frame. He got it back after paying $42 and says while it was working fine with the cracked frame the "fixed gun" ejects at 6:00! I'm so weary of this situation. I'm glad my guns are ok at least for now. If any of my kids buy an new handgun their getting M&Ps.

My daughter has a G19 but won't carry it. I'm getting her a Shield and probably keeping her early Gen 3 G19 or ill sell it, i already have 2 more. But this G34 is the last new Glock I'll buy. As a matter of fact, I have a great running old G26 but I never carry it, I prefer my G19 so it just sits in the safe. I'll probably sell that too and get a Shield for myself, it's thinner than the G26.

Until recently I thought Glocks were the best handguns on the market. And they were, it's unbelievable how they could **** these up. I've had H&Ks, 1911s, and even M&Ps. I always came back to Glock. But this fiasco has really soured me. I'm happy with my Longslides and G19. But that's it.

mizer67
05-31-12, 20:20
LOL no shit. Easier than dropping 70 lbs! ;)

I'm 6'5", 230 lbs.

Only way I'm getting down to Glock shooting weight is if I'm minus a few body parts.

Actually though, my Gen 4 with the new ejector ran for ~15K trouble free rounds after it's trip to Smyrna before it started flinging brass to my forehead again, but it never has FTE'ed.

TeamGrazzi
06-01-12, 09:01
Our G19's were born on the same date. first 650 rounds I had errant ejection and 15 stovepipes. Enter 30274 ejector 800 rounds error free. Did you try that avenue at all?

Not that it matters because it's on its way back, just saying.

I haven't actually mailed it since he waited till this morning to send me the email with the return information.

Did you purchase said ejector or did Glock send it to you?

Shokr21
06-01-12, 09:53
I haven't actually mailed it since he waited till this morning to send me the email with the return information.

Did you purchase said ejector or did Glock send it to you?

Went to the LGS where I purchased it on the Blue Line, told him the problem, told him what I thought the fix was. He ordered the 30274, and apparently enough of them to update all of his gen4 9mm's, and replaced it free of charge.

vigilant2
06-01-12, 19:05
mizer that is a great question! I found that observation by Randy to be just incredibly interesting. I'm 5'11 and 165-170. My elder son who shot next most of this with equally good results is 175. Both on the lighter side of Randy's hypothesis. Things that make you go hmmmm eh?

Too much rigidity to the platform (mass of shooter) = too much slide velocity?

I'm 6'2" 240lbs , Gen4G19 , 0-2-4 RSA, 336 ejector, currently at 6450 rnds no malfunctions (July 2011 purchase). Trying hard to remember last time brass hit me in the face, it has happened but not that often

EDT- I almost forgot, friends sometimes call me popeye because of the size of my forearms

hunt_ak
06-02-12, 11:54
Just another to add to the fray...

My wife ran her brand new G19 through an RB1 Tac/Combat pistol course and experienced these issues as well. Gen 4 G19, SYT serial number, dip extrator, 30274 ejector...

hunt_ak
06-02-12, 12:11
Even Haley isn't immune :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhXVTcseZTA&feature=youtu.be

6:20 in the vid.. :haha:

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-03-12, 17:31
I have owned Glocks since the 90s and they have always had weird ejection issues. What they never had was reliability issues. I think Grant is right. Gaston, Horst, Willy and the rest put a good gun together back in the 80s. But people forget that the G17 has been revised countless times, been subject to non recall recalls, etc. the G19 had some horrible issues in my, requiring several revisions beck they got it right. I think that Glock basically had the gun fixed by the late 90s and for 10 years they didn't tinker much. I figure the current gen should be ready to go around 2018. In the meantime, buy an HK or Walther since they actually seem to employ engineers.

packinaglock
06-03-12, 18:00
Ya know I'm really starting to believe this more & more.

az larry
06-03-12, 18:18
I'm in partial agreement. I've done way too much dicking around trying to get my G34 to eject like my 19s.

But to be honest, the new ejectors solved the backwards ejection and with all the rounds I've wasted on this issue I've not had a single malfunction.

Randy Lee even theroizes that a shooter with a smaller stature will have their newer Glock eject farther. Yesterday I shot weak hand and strong hand with a very loose grip, actually limp wristing on purpose.
I did this because I'm anything but small in stature:)

He's right! The looser the grip the farther it ejects. Very weird! But that said, although my G34 ejects only a foot or two, it always ejects and now with the 30274 ejects to the right.

JHC
06-03-12, 18:48
I'm in partial agreement. I've done way too much dicking around trying to get my G34 to eject like my 19s.

But to be honest, the new ejectors solved the backwards ejection and with all the rounds I've wasted on this issue I've not had a single malfunction.

Randy Lee even theroizes that a shooter with a smaller stature will have their newer Glock eject farther. Yesterday I shot weak hand and strong hand with a very loose grip, actually limp wristing on purpose.
I did this because I'm anything but small in stature:)

He's right! The looser the grip the farther it ejects. Very weird! But that said, although my G34 ejects only a foot or two, it always ejects and now with the 30274 ejects to the right.

It's surreal. Also at my more modest spatial dimensions, the weak ejecting Gen 3 I had looked great when I was shooting SHO/WHO. I have no idea.