PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used a Magpul PRS stock with a carbine style upper?

Damascus
05-24-12, 09:09
I've used uppers with rifle length gas systems on carbine lowers, but how's it the other way around?
I have some parts lying around, basically a 16" medium contour barrel with carbine gas system, with upper, and I am wondering how it would do with a Magpul PRS stock, which uses a rifle length receiver extension and rifle buffer?
I've searched around and seen some people using carbine buffers in rifle receiver extensions... but, what is the most reliable method? Most accurate method? Best method for no battering issues?
I have access to standard carbine buffers, H and H2, as well as a standard rifle buffer and spring.
Thanks for the input gentlemen! (and ladies too if applicable! :))

madcratebuilder
05-26-12, 08:58
I've used carbine gas uppers with the PRS and UBR with out issue, softens recoil.

crh428
05-26-12, 11:54
I really don't think you'll have any problems.

I've known several carbines with the UBR, none had issues caused by the stock.

twodollarbill
05-26-12, 20:55
It all comes down to weight balance.
I run the UBR on three of my carbines and it's a heavy stock,
The PRS is heavier.....I'll only run it on something with a bipod.

vicious_cb
05-27-12, 21:16
I've used uppers with rifle length gas systems on carbine lowers, but how's it the other way around?
I have some parts lying around, basically a 16" medium contour barrel with carbine gas system, with upper, and I am wondering how it would do with a Magpul PRS stock, which uses a rifle length receiver extension and rifle buffer?
I've searched around and seen some people using carbine buffers in rifle receiver extensions... but, what is the most reliable method? Most accurate method? Best method for no battering issues?
I have access to standard carbine buffers, H and H2, as well as a standard rifle buffer and spring.
Thanks for the input gentlemen! (and ladies too if applicable! :))

First of all you can't use carbine buffers with a rifle spring and rifle RE a carbine buffer is just too short. Second of all why would you want to? The rifle buffer system is just superior to the carbine system. If you want a real improvement switch to the vltor A5 buffer system.

Damascus
05-29-12, 09:32
That's what I am trying to do... but I don't want to have to shell out for the Vltor A5 system, when I probably have enough compenents to do what I want.
I have an upper, has a 16" medium contour 1/8" barrel that's insanely accurate, but unfortunately this barrel uses a carbine length gas system... I want to use a Magpul PRS stock on this rifle, which uses a rifle length RE and buffer... what I want to know is that the carbine length gas tube system provide enough gas to cycle the heavier rifle buffer and spring...
There, perhaps I made it a little easier to understand :)
I've never owned a UBR, so I didn't know what kind of gas system it uses... so it also uses a rifle length buffer and tube??
Anyways, I just want to be able to use a PRS stock on a carbine upper... will I run into any cycling problems?
Thanks for all the replies thus far!!

Pappabear
06-03-12, 23:29
Ive done all the above and never had any problems cycling anything. Best way to know is.....the obvious. But you should be good to go.

arfan1
06-09-12, 15:59
RRA and possibly others make a spacer to allow carbine buffers to be used in A1/A2 RE's, along with carbine action springs.

I agree, that a rifle buffer and rifle action spring are the way to go though if you have an A1/A2 RE tube.

I don't have experience with the Vltor A5.

First of all you can't use carbine buffers with a rifle spring and rifle RE a carbine buffer is just too short. Second of all why would you want to? The rifle buffer system is just superior to the carbine system. If you want a real improvement switch to the vltor A5 buffer system.

Col_Crocs
06-09-12, 22:24
The rifle system will work and in fact, be great, as many above have stated. It will be an especially good benefit to your 16in CAR system IMHO.
Dont mess with any spacers and what not. They serve no purpose other than forcing carbine parts into a rifle system. Zero benefit.