PDA

View Full Version : Who has had an Aimpoint problem?

SMETNA
05-24-12, 12:35
The responses to the EOTech thread of the same name were very informative. Lets see what we can uncover here.

*Note. Post only to explain your problem or describe a problem you witnessed. 10+ pages of "No issues with my Micro :D" will not help.

Wiggity
05-24-12, 12:51
I think we should limit this thread to posting actual problems.

Otherwise this thread will be over run with posts like "no problems here"

jsummers
05-24-12, 12:55
I've only ever had 1 problem with an old M2 (battery cap issue), but less than 5 minutes on the phone with Aimpoint had it back up and running. So, Yes, technically I had a problem with an Aimpoint, but not anymore.:D

Failure2Stop
05-24-12, 13:03
I had a T1 that had the battery die in less than 1 year while on setting 7.
Had a bunch of old school comp Ms (original M68s) with a host of issues, from spinning tubes to rheostat problems, aggressive battery consumption to wiring failures. Of course, you didn't ask about those, and they are ancient, and have long since been replaced by better models.

SMETNA
05-24-12, 13:06
I think we should limit this thread to posting actual problems.

Otherwise this thread will be over run with posts like "no problems here"

Agreed. I edited the OP to reflect your suggestion. Thank you

kest_01
05-24-12, 14:11
Had an issue with 2 seperate comp M4 that were issued to me, one took a really hard hit and wouldn't turn on anymore, changed batteries and nothing, no dot. Another one wouldn't hold a zero, turned that one in and drew an acog.

El Cid
05-24-12, 19:26
Have a T-1 that is intermittent. Called this week and they were very helpful. Shipping it in this weekend.

ETA: my other T-1 and PRO are flawless.

Edit: Just saw this thread back at the top. Aimpoint repaired the T-1 at no charge and its been running flawlessly on an SBR that sees plenty of use. - 9/14/2013

Wiggity
05-24-12, 19:37
Interesting, what do you mean by intermittent?

El Cid
05-24-12, 20:03
Interesting, what do you mean by intermittent?

The dot comes and goes. Happens on all the power settings. I imagine it's an easy fix but since it has never been used I'll let them address it.

Grumpy MSG
05-24-12, 20:19
I had a T1 that had the battery die in less than 1 year while on setting 7.
Had a bunch of old school comp Ms (original M68s) with a host of issues, from spinning tubes to rheostat problems, aggressive battery consumption to wiring failures. Of course, you didn't ask about those, and they are ancient, and have long since been replaced by better models.

I thought the original M68s were Comp M2s, we got handed milk crate of them from another unit prior to deployment. About 10% wouldn't turn on, had jacked up battery compartment/ covers, missing knobs. We used about 75 of them during the deployment (we received around 45 ACOGs and 45 Comp M4 M68s during the RFI). We had no issues with either type that I know of. most had the same battery for the whole tour.

On a personal level, I have had an M4S since 2009, it still has the original battery in it.

seb5
05-24-12, 22:02
I had an original M2 die many years ago, It had a LOT of mileage and hours on it. In 2008 or 2009 I had a T-1 fog up in the rain at an EAG class. Both Aimpoints were repaired at no charge and returned to me. Interestingly the T-1 was still very useable with keeping both eyes opened. The only problem was the initial 50 yard prone zero confirmation that morning because of closing one eye for that drill.

ramairthree
05-24-12, 22:55
I had an aimpoint problem.

After 20+ years of .44 Mag handgun hunting use and who know how many rounds,
my Aimpoint 1000 switch fell apart and left me with a broken sight.

Plus finding 357 batteries had gotten to be a pain.

:)

Dos Cylindros
05-25-12, 01:39
I reported no problems with my T-1, though honestly I did have the original battery go out after less than a year. A new battery fixed it though. Not an Aimpoint problem, just a lesson not to use the original battery that comes with the optic.

ffhounddog
05-26-12, 09:57
I had a comp M2 not zero at a class. Took it off put it in a Larue mount and it zeroed. I guess it was more of a mount issue.

I had a CompM2 take a piece of of something from an IED and still keep on ticking though.

Kain
05-26-12, 16:02
Only problem I have had was with my M2 and getting it zeroed in the factory mount. Changed mounts and it has been found to be a solid optic.

ST911
05-27-12, 11:03
PLEASE STOP POSTING "NO PROBLEM" POSTS.

If you have not chimed in with an issue, you have supplied all the data you need to.

Can a mod please clean up the thread and delete the extra posts?

jst0915
05-27-12, 11:11
The M68 (Comp M2) on my work gun won't hold a zero for more than five rounds or so. I'm going to replace it with another to see if that fixes it. If not it's probably the crappy mount.

Failure2Stop
05-28-12, 02:17
I thought the original M68s were Comp M2s,

Nope. Originals were Ms, then M2s, then M4s.

aaron_c
05-28-12, 09:36
I see where the OP said not to just say "no problems here", but I figured knowing whether I'd had 'no problems' for two weeks or five years might be good info. The OP and/or mods can decide though, no big deal either way to me!

PLEASE STOP POSTING "NO PROBLEM" POSTS.

If you have not chimed in with an issue, you have supplied all the data you need to.

Can a mod please clean up the thread and delete the extra posts?

Tomac
05-29-12, 07:22
CompM4S. Bad rheostat right out of the box. Six week trip to Sweden fixed it.
Tomac

RWK
05-30-12, 06:48
Had a Comp ML3 c. 2008 that wouldn't hold zero. Sent it in to Aimpoint; said they couldn't find anything wrong with it but, replaced the electronics anyway. Never confirmed that the problem was fixed since I upgraded to a T1 in the meantime.

SWATcop556
05-30-12, 10:56
Thread cleaned up a bit. Let's keep this one to posts that deal with issues instead of "My T-1 has been flawless for X amount of rounds."

IMO using the provided battery that comes with the optic is a bad idea just for the sake that you don't know how long that battery has been packaged and sitting on a shelf. I always throw a fresh battery in a new optic. I toss the supplied one.

Also those who have had issued with the optic holding zero I would be willing to bet that most of those are mount issues and not the optic. I'm not saying that Aimpoint won't put out a lemon every now and then but the not holding zero issue can be fixed by chunking the supplied mount and getting a solid aftermarket one.

BCmJUnKie
05-30-12, 11:04
Comp M3, switch went out? Dot was visible on setting 8 and 9 only.

About a month later, M68 dot would "Flicker" or change brightness when you tapped on it.

Sent the M3 to Aimpoint and they replaced it.

SOWT
05-30-12, 13:32
M68 (Comp M2) had to be turned all the way up to get a faint dot. Called/then sent it to Aimpoint; 3 weeks later my repaired unit was re-mounted and haven't had a problem since then.
Good customer service.

ST911
05-30-12, 14:42
When people are shipping their optics back to Aimpoint, can you please note the turnaround time in your post? Thanks.

RWK
05-31-12, 09:27
Also those who have had issued with the optic holding zero I would be willing to bet that most of those are mount issues and not the optic. I'm not saying that Aimpoint won't put out a lemon every now and then but the not holding zero issue can be fixed by chunking the supplied mount and getting a solid aftermarket one.

I'll try not to take that as too patronizing... My Comp ML3 was properly installed in a LaRue LT150; all screws checked for snugness; a drop of Loc-Tite on each; with no play between the mount and rail. The entire assembly was checked and re-zeroed daily over a three-day period of high-volume shooting during which the optic would not hold zero, with consistent drift to the right over the course of a day.

When people are shipping their optics back to Aimpoint, can you please note the turnaround time in your post? Thanks.

A few weeks, if I recall accurately. It was sent to the factory for a look-see. The customer service was great.

SOWT
05-31-12, 09:32

4 weeks.

docsherm
05-31-12, 12:00
I had a M2 just quit on me. Stayed away from AimPoint since.

SWATcop556
06-01-12, 09:28
I'll try not to take that as too patronizing... My Comp ML3 was properly installed in a LaRue LT150; all screws checked for snugness; a drop of Loc-Tite on each; with no play between the mount and rail. The entire assembly was checked and re-zeroed daily over a three-day period of high-volume shooting during which the optic would not hold zero, with consistent drift to the right over the course of a day.

Which is why I said MOST. Not all but MOST. I have no doubts that Aimpoint can put out a bad optic just as anyone else.

FWIW my new XPS/EXPS EOTech's have had no issues where my old 512's sucked.

SWATcop556
06-01-12, 09:28
I had a M2 just quit on me. Stayed away from AimPoint since.

What are you running now?

one
06-01-12, 23:13
Have a T-1 that is intermittent. Called this week and they were very helpful. Shipping it in this weekend.

ETA: my other T-1 and PRO are flawless.

This thread and your post were both timely for me. I have two T1's (4 MOA) I was running one of them in a full day carbine training and qualification course today. During initial zero confirmation the T1's dot went completely out.

Prior to this I had been running an M4 on the gun and it was still in my pack so I pulled the T1 and worked the day with the M4 instead. After getting home and getting some down time to look at it I discovered that the battery cap was able to be tightened down a couple turns with a screwdriver and the dot came back on.

I also came across this thread here before coming to this one. after googling Aimpoints turning off under recoil. The first post contains a correspondence from Aimpoint which brings up the loose battery cap situation and some further points regarding cleaning the contacts.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=49810

I intend to put the T1 back on the gun and run it again starting Monday to see if that resolved the issue. My money says it likely did.

RMiller
09-13-13, 06:40
I've owned a Comp M3, a few PRO's, H1, and now an R1. I marked no problem on all 3. I used T1 and its a micro and so are the H1 and R1, if anyone cares.

The R1 is sitting on top of an Ultimak rail and see's some heat. No 10 mag bubba mag dumps, but it's been plenty hot (enough to where I can't touch it without gloves). Also ran through a VSM class without issue.

I believe there will be very few problems. There's a reason why aimpoint is chosen when it counts.

C4IGrant
09-13-13, 07:57
Being an Aimpoint Distr. I have used EVERY Aimpoint made and sell a metric ass load of them every year. I think I had a bad one once, but honestly can't remember.

I think that is called a clue. ;)

C4

Vendetta
09-13-13, 08:03
I've never had a problem with any of the ones I have used. The only problem I have ever seen out of any of my coworkers and feds around here, was my buddy to screwed with his mount and didn't fully tighten it down... user error.

docsherm
09-13-13, 12:46
I had an Aimpoint M2 (M68) that was new out of the box and I have nothing but trouble with it. It would turn off all by itself. I switched to an EO Tech and I have never looked back. That was back in 2003.

WS6
09-13-13, 22:34
I had an Aimpoint M2 (M68) that was new out of the box and I have nothing but trouble with it. It would turn off all by itself. I switched to an EO Tech and I have never looked back. That was back in 2003.

But you didn't vote?

MelloYellow
09-13-13, 23:17
I have a PRO that when turned from 5 power to full power will flicker and go dead. This has happened on three occasions since I purchased it new in May 2013. Battery cap is tight...I checked this immediately. Changed to new battery and was able to replicate the failure after around 30 attempts. I contacted Aimpoint and they are gladly having a look at it. Sight is being sent to Aimpoint Monday.

WS6
09-15-13, 01:49
I think the internet skews things. Per this poll, all of the newer Aimpoint models have roughly a 10% fail rate (interesting how it remains near 10% across a few models, gives some validity to sample size/poll, in a way.). I think this is a bit exaggerated, though. One out of ten failing.

sinlessorrow
09-16-13, 12:57
I belive these have seen better days.

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=18043&d=1378312577

Pi3
09-16-13, 13:08
I had a battery die within the first year that I bought the H1. I always blamed the battery. It was off most of the time. The second battery is still going fine, no problems 4 years later.
My old eyes will not resolve the dot into a clean circle, but that is me, not the H1. For all practical purposes, this isn't an issue closer than about 20 yds.

Labayu
03-30-17, 02:59
My 1st 4MOA Aimpoint T1 had a fuzzy dot, sent it in to Aimpoint and after examining it they sent me another sight but the rheostat it so loose on my new replacement unit the slightest bump will change the dot intensity. I asked John Enloe why it was so loose and he said he "did me a favor" by "breaking in" the intensity adjustment because everyone hates how tight they are to adjust.

Wish he would have just tossed it in the mail and left the damn rheostat alone now that it's parked on top of a Glock slide in an ATOM mount.

UPDATE: The Aimpoint rep contacted me and told me to ship my T1 back for repair! Making this post inspired me to complain to Aimpoint about the loose rheostat and after responding to them with the details they will repair/replace it.

I got this T1 4MOA years ago and they know it.

Aimpoint takes their reputation and customers seriously.

sjc3081
03-30-17, 15:59
M4s, T1 and H1 zero issues. The T1 sits on. Benelli M4 and fires full power slugs exclusively.

VLODPG
03-30-17, 17:33
M3 & a PRO No Problems!

bigez1
03-31-17, 05:32
I have a T-1, 3 H-1's, and 4 PROs. All have been through at least one class. I had a problem with one of my H-1s. It was about 5 years old. Six months ago I took it out and turned and to dot was not there. It was set on setting 8. I changed the battery and turned it on. It did not come on until setting 11 and would cut off on setting 10. Called Aimpoint and they were very helpful. I sent it back and it was determined the switch was bad. The only negative was it had to be sent back to Switzerland to be fixed so it took about 6 weeks to get it back.

mattexass
03-31-17, 11:56
May have a compromised seal on a Comp M4s as that speck in the photo is inside the glass. I contacted Aimpoint 2 days ago and am currently waiting to hear back.