PDA

View Full Version : Windham Weaponry questions

texit
05-24-12, 16:49
Does anyone have one of the new Windham Weaponry firearms? I'm thinking about picking up the MPC model, with the HBC as my next choice.

The MSRP on these are $1086 and $1096. I can get the MPC model for $819. This seems like a great deal to me. Its just going to be a plinker, and the WW looks like it will get the job done.

I've called in to speak with their Customer Service department and they seem like great people really working to make the customer happy.

To make a long story short, does anyone here a Windham Weaponry firearm? What do you think about it?

I love the look of this puppy (although, I will probably put a Magpul MOE stock on it the first day):
http://www.windhamweaponry.com/images/rifles/MPC-L.jpg

I was going to get a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport, but I can't find one anywhere. Let me take that back, I found a couple and they looked liked they were assembled by someone with two left hands. Nicks and dings galore.

I don't need a Colt.

badness
05-24-12, 17:04
if you don't need a colt, then get a non bfh bcm upper and a cheap lower with a bcm bcg. Problem solved. No need to ask of quality and you will probably spend around the same amount.

mallowpufft
05-24-12, 17:20
Use that handy orangeish yellow "search " button on the top. You'll find other threads on Windham stuff.
You'll find that moat here subscribe to the buy once, cry once philosophy. A Colt can be had for a little over 1k and there will be no question to the quality or reliability. If you want cheap and possibly good go for a PSA as they can be found for 700 or less if you wait for their specials.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Joethe33
05-24-12, 17:21
Does anyone have one of the new Windham Weaponry firearms? I'm thinking about picking up the MPC model, with the HBC as my next choice.

The MSRP on these are $1086 and $1096. I can get the MPC model for $819. This seems like a great deal to me. Its just going to be a plinker, and the WW looks like it will get the job done.

I've called in to speak with their Customer Service department and they seem like great people really working to make the customer happy.

To make a long story short, does anyone here a Windham Weaponry firearm? What do you think about it?

I love the look of this puppy (although, I will probably put a Magpul MOE stock on it the first day):
http://www.windhamweaponry.com/images/rifles/MPC-L.jpg

I was going to get a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport, but I can't find one anywhere. Let me take that back, I found a couple and they looked liked they were assembled by someone with two left hands. Nicks and dings galore.

I don't need a Colt.
There's really no reason to go low on quality if you're willing to spend the money. Colt 6920s are popping up for around a G, which is pretty damn affordable. Sometimes even less. For the same price point, anything BCM is outstanding.

djmorris
05-24-12, 17:24
You say you don't need a Colt but yet you're going to spend almost the same amount on that. Windham Weaponry is not too far from my house here in Maine. Probably about 45 minutes. Local or not - I don't care. They still make relatively low quality firearms.

texit
05-24-12, 17:40
I'd rather not build one since this will be my first AR. Also, the lifetime warranty on the Windham is a selling point.

Honestly, I haven't heard one bad thing about a Windham Weaponry AR from someone that actually owns one.

Tzook
05-24-12, 17:56
Windham? lol good god no. That's a horse that's been beat to death. Use the search button, you're sure to dig up some info on the garbage they put out.

northern1
05-24-12, 18:09
Nothing wrong with having a "plinker" but why not have a rifle that one could count on to do more than just plink with.

Its been said here before and I firmly believe a rifle, at least one based on a mil. Platform should be a fighting tool first and anything else is secondary.

I plink with my BCM as well but know I can have faith in it if things ever go tits up in my neck of the woods.

Hmac
05-24-12, 18:20
It's a regurgitated Bushmaster. Richard Dyke started over when Cerebrus pulled the plug on that rather crappy consumer-grade brand, but make no mistake, it's a Bushmaster through and through.

OP, I predict that this thread will not end well for you. If you're heart is set on getting this mediocre-brand weapon, you'll be hard-pressed to find any love for that kind of rifle here on this site and you will be far happier finding a firearms web site that will be more in line with your preconceptions about the quality of this brand of firearm. I'm confident that you won't find it here.

Trajan
05-24-12, 18:28
First problem: a firearm is a tool, not a fashion accessory.
Second problem: why not just pay $200 more and get a quality weapon? For $200 more, you can get the real deal: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

Col_Crocs
05-24-12, 19:35
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355
OP: Please read the threads in the above link to get a better understanding on the platform and as to why WW is a no go despite what people you know that own them say.
Let me ask you this... How many rounds do these guys shoot? How many rounds so far through their WW ARs?
In any case, bottom line is, get a known quality AR. You'll find that the upper tier brands stand behind their products as well and will address any, in their case, unlikely issues you might have.
Stick around, read and learn. Get a good weapon and shoot it. In a few months, you'll come back to this thread and get a good laugh.

VIP3R 237
05-24-12, 19:47
Take a bushmaster and drop in a m16 bcg and you'll have a windham.

DeftwillP
05-24-12, 19:56
Honestly, I haven't heard one bad thing about a Windham Weaponry AR from someone that actually owns one.

So why'd you come here and ask? Your mind is already made up; so be it.

richdkim77
05-24-12, 20:03
I'd rather not build one since this will be my first AR. Also, the lifetime warranty on the Windham is a selling point.

Ask the former customers of Next Generation Arms how their lifetime warranties are working out for them. Don't be cheap... do what's been said and told many times over, buy Colt/BCM/DD/LMT and have a great day.

halo2304
05-24-12, 20:04
Take a bushmaster and drop in a m16 bcg and you'll have a windham.

That's the only thing the Windham Weaponry gun has going for it.

"The worst thing anyone can say about buying a Colt is that you overpaid." ~RobS

!Nvasi0n
05-24-12, 20:47
If its your first AR/M4, then don't do it. If you only will buy AR/M4 don't buy it, listen to what the folks here are telling you. If you already have many other AR/M4's then go ahead and waste your money on the gun, after all it is yours. But if you are one of the new firearms enthusiasts just getting started (read: pre-election crowd) then simply don't do it. It will not live up to your expectations. And down the road if you try to sell it you will get your pee pee slammed...this gun won't hold it's value. If all you are after is another "platform" to keep some miles off your higher end defensive/duty weapon...then i totally get it. Just don't expect this weapon to be built to the par Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske, LMT, LWRC are built to. WW is not in any way shape or form mil-spec, it doesn't follow anything from the TDP. The weapons listed above do. Colt pretty well set the bar for what a rifle must be, the bar that our military, and LEO's nation wide count on to bring them home safe every night.

Why do people try and skimp on firearms? Would you skimp on cheap gas station prophylactics? You don't skimp on brakes on your car, you don't skimp on things that count. You don't skimp on life insurance, why would you skimp on your defensive carbine? You have all the time in the world to get a quality rifle, so do just that, get a quality one. The overwhelming majority of folks here are professionals, they are not going to tell you what you want to hear to justify your purchase.

DeltaSierra
05-24-12, 20:52
for that price, just get a new colt....

duece71
05-24-12, 22:52
OP, whats the intended use of the rifle? How often do you plan to shoot? Is this rifle going to be for SD/HD or if it happens SHTF? Listen to what others have posted...please, don't buy what you have your eyes on right now. Read, read and read some more, (its FREE!! NO money spent!!) you can do much better in terms of quality and reliability FOR THE SAME AMOUNT of money YOU plan on spending on Wyndham. Come on, don't skimp, you will thank yourself.

texit
05-24-12, 23:05
Thanks guys. This is just so different for me hearing all of this. I've been around pistols and shotguns for awhile and never really seen this kind of attitude toward lesser brands. Hell, a $3500 browning shoots just as good as a $500 browning. I just don't understand how every brand can be complete and utter shit except for these elite brands. This rifle isn't going to be for self defense or anything of that nature, its just going to be for pure fun a couple of times a month.

I appreciate the input, im just having a hard time grasping how this rifle is shit.

VIP3R 237
05-24-12, 23:18
at that price
Thanks guys. This is just so different for me hearing all of this. I've been around pistols and shotguns for awhile and never really seen this kind of attitude toward lesser brands. Hell, a $3500 browning shoots just as good as a $500 browning. I just don't understand how every brand can be complete and utter shit except for these elite brands. This rifle isn't going to be for self defense or anything of that nature, its just going to be for pure fun a couple of times a month.

I appreciate the input, im just having a hard time grasping how this rifle is shit.

I wouldnt say its shit, its just at that price point you are SO close from going from a mediocre rifle to an excellent rifle.

Jake Bauer
05-24-12, 23:45
I've handled several (Handled, not shot mind you) Windhams and they seem like decent, mid level ARs. Should you get a DD/Colt/BCM/LMT/Noveske/etc... YES, but if you arent planning on beating the crap out of it, running dirty ammo and still expecting it to work properly, never cleaning it, firing thousands and thousands of rounds a year, then you will probably enjoy it. I've sold Windhams to a few people and so far I've had a couple people come back in and say they love it. Maybe they only put 500 rounds through it so far and the whole thing will blow up on round 501, but who knows. Certainly if you can scrape up an extra $200 buy one of the top level guys as mentioned above. If you can't, buy the windham, shoot the tar out of it, and If you dont like it, sell it, or swap out the internals with GOOD parts. (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376).

polymorpheous
05-25-12, 00:16
OP, several members here had linked you to very informative thread regarding the WW rifles.
If you can't understand why it is a bad choice for your 1st and only AR15, then good lck to you, and I suspect AR15.com will be a more appropriate forum for you.
So your research, listening to a couple of shooting buddies that likely know little about the platform isn't research.
Search for threads about WW and Bushmaster. That are the SAME rifle!

vram74
05-25-12, 04:34

If you're dead set on a cheaper AR, wait for a S&W Mp15 Sport and don't pay over $700 (I paid $639). At least S&W are established and reliable. There is no logic in paying $1000 for anything less than a Colt, DD, BCM, LMT. Although I have a Sport and it's been great, I'd personally get one of the above if I had to do it all over again. Why? Because they're better. Nothing good comes from being impatient.

Iraqgunz
05-25-12, 04:58
We aren't talking about shotguns that are easy to make and easy to care for. We are talking about a gas operated weapon that many companies cannot get right. Whether it be substandard steel in the barrel, gas ports that are too large, lack of staking on carrier keys and and castle nuts that work loose, etc...

It may not matter to many, but many of us here actually consider AR's to be fighting weapons first. If you want a plinker that looks cool, get some hotrod .22 AR or a Ruger 10/22.

wetidlerjr
05-25-12, 05:24

I have no idea if they are shit as I don't have one. I do know, however, that they are not a PROVEN quality manufacturer of ARs and they probably never will be.
Most likely, for what you want to use it for it will suffice but (as you already have been told) you can get PROVEN quality for close to or the same price.
It's your money. Do what you want but ignoring the advice of the pros on here (I am not one) is just foolish.
Good Luck! :D

svtpwnz
05-25-12, 07:00
As others have stated, you will be better served with a proven rifle from a proven manufacturer. If you put a lifetime warranty on a turd, it's still a turd.

hounds2
05-25-12, 08:22
we have beat this horse pretty badly. but i would find it interesting if someone would actually take a windham apart and examine it. tell us just what parts or sytems are substandard and why. we windham owners could then decide if we want to get rid of them, or replace or fix the defective parts. that seems like a simple request. if its actually inferior materials then it needs to go. if its just one or two parts it might be an easy fix. just to say its inferior because a colt was made by god doesnt do any of us any good. history doesnt always repeat itself. i am serious. i would like specifics to my gun mentioned, so that i can get it checked out. generalizations are worthless. if my windham needs fixing i will fix it. i want it reliable. but i can fix what i cant find. i am not versed in the manufacturing process. just a thought

wetidlerjr
05-25-12, 08:45
... i am serious. i would like specifics to my gun mentioned, so that i can get it checked out. generalizations are worthless. if my windham needs fixing i will fix it. i want it reliable. but i can fix what i cant find. i am not versed in the manufacturing process. just a thought

As has been suggested COUNTLESS times, use the search features and the forum "Stickys" on this site and you will have ALL the info you to judge what your rifle needs. Until you do that, you will keep being told to do that. This site is a "We help those that help themselves first." type of place and I am also serious. :D

hounds2
05-25-12, 08:56
i have, nobody says just what the problems are with the windham. they just say what the problems are with the inferior guns in general. mine is well staked where they say it should be staked. mine is supposedly made of the proper materials. mine seems to be put together well. my bolt supposedly is tested correctly. like i said, i am serious, i am not arguing, i would like to know what to fix on my gun. this should be more academic than emotional. as opposed to selling my gun at a loss and buying a colt, if i could "fix" it for $200.00 i would be much further ahead. we always fight about this stuff as opposed to actually trying to fix it. the whole gun cant be bad. i talked to the local gunsmith about it. he basically said if there is something i'm worried about i should just replace it with a colt part if that would make me feel better. i think he thought i was nuts. i would really like to know.

polymorpheous
05-25-12, 08:58
Stop posting.
Start reading.

texit
05-25-12, 09:07
I have used the search tool and I'm finding very little (none) hands on complaints with the Windham Weaponry firearms.

What I am find are generalizations based on the old Bushmasters.

wetidlerjr
05-25-12, 09:12
Stop posting.
Start reading.

It's becoming obvious that isn't what they want to do. I'm done here.

polymorpheous
05-25-12, 09:16
I have used the search tool and I'm finding very little (none) hands on complaints with the Windham Weaponry firearms.

It is a rebranded Bushmaster.

If you did a search, you would find a thread where IG emails WW asking some fairly straight forward questions regarding their QC.
They have failed to answer these questions.

If you do end up buying this rifle make sure to buy a taller front sight post.
Because they use the wrong front sight base for flat top uppers.
This, among a slew of other reasons is why Bushmaster/WW isn't up to par.

polymorpheous
05-25-12, 09:20

It's becoming obvious that isn't what they want to do. I'm done here.

I agree.

glockeyed
05-25-12, 09:23

same people from bushmaster
same factory
looks like a duck to me.

looking at the specs, seems they added MP/HP testing to the bolt.(probably batch)

same crappy barrel

and priced up there with PROVEN top manufacturers.
my issue, is sub-par rifle at premium price.

djmorris
05-25-12, 09:27
What it boils down to is nobody that knows a lot about AR's owns Windham Weaponry which is why you have not heard "bad things". The only people that say good things about Windham's are fools who know nothing about AR's so they don't know what is good or BAD.. These are WW owners.

You'd be way better off with even a Spikes Tactical or PSA for CHEAPER. I'd go S&W Sport before a WW, even. Just piece together a BCM for $1,000'ish or get a Colt for $950-$1050. Even more, go to the equipment exchange here and you can get a quality carbine from the likes of BCM, LMT, Colt, etc for about $900 with little to no rounds through it.

C4IGrant
05-25-12, 09:30
If you're dead set on a cheaper AR, wait for a S&W Mp15 Sport and don't pay over $700 (I paid $639). At least S&W are established and reliable. There is no logic in paying $1000 for anything less than a Colt, DD, BCM, LMT. Although I have a Sport and it's been great, I'd personally get one of the above if I had to do it all over again. Why? Because they're better. Nothing good comes from being impatient.

Yes. The Sport is the best "cheap" AR I have ever seen + it has S&W CS behind it.

We sell the sport for $599 (FYI). ;)

C4

texit
05-25-12, 09:43
same people from bushmaster
same factory
looks like a duck to me.

looking at the specs, seems they added MP/HP testing to the bolt.(probably batch)

same crappy barrel

and priced up there with PROVEN top manufacturers.
my issue, is sub-par rifle at premium price.

The barrel is made out of 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium 11595E Steel

DeltaSierra
05-25-12, 09:55

let me guess, you already bought this thing and now you are just upset because you are now being told that you could have gotten a higher quality carbine for less money?

seriously, if you can't see why it would make more sense to purchase a proven, higher quality carbine (see the chart for details on what makes a weapon higher quality) for about the same price (or less) than that of a windham weaponry product.....

djmorris
05-25-12, 10:04
let me guess, you already bought this thing and now you are just upset because you are now being told that you could have gotten a higher quality carbine for less money?

seriously, if you can't see why it would make more sense to purchase a proven, higher quality carbine (see the chart for details on what makes a weapon higher quality) for about the same price (or less) than that of a windham weaponry product.....

Bingo. If he doesn't already own it then why is he so defensive? You made a shit purchase, bro.

glockeyed
05-25-12, 10:22

but not HP/MP tested AND a 1/9 twist.

same crappy barrel.:big_boss:

/thread

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

polymorpheous
05-25-12, 10:41
Obviously the OP has purchased this rifle.
For sure he was told that it was "just as good" and that any known quality brand he was just "paying for the name".

kenken
05-25-12, 10:52
The best thing to do is get what you want, shoot the crap out of it and whatever breaks, fix it. :big_boss:.

Have fun with whatever you decide.

kenken

texit
05-25-12, 10:57
I haven't bought anything yet. I am wanting to purchase the firearm in the Dallas area. I want to inspect the firearm before I buy.

First choice was M&P 15 Sport, but I can't find one. The Windham looked nice to me. If anyone knows of a place in Dallas that has a better firearm for under $850 that is in stock please let me know.

I am not an operator, this will not be for defense, it will be for pure fun.

C4IGrant
05-25-12, 11:14
I haven't bought anything yet. I am wanting to purchase the firearm in the Dallas area. I want to inspect the firearm before I buy.

First choice was M&P 15 Sport, but I can't find one. The Windham looked nice to me. If anyone knows of a place in Dallas that has a better firearm for under $850 that is in stock please let me know.

All AR's should be considered for "defense." If not, then just stick with a .22LR AR. Reason being is that it is one of the best (if not the best) choice as a defensive tool.

With that said, you are really close to a BCM or a Colt. So save $50-$150 more and get into a quality AR.

C4

ac130usnsr
05-25-12, 11:17

I have to ask, why do you have to have it right now? If you really want the M&P 15 Sport can you not order one locally and wait for it to come in? Are you really hard and fast on your budget of $850? You can get a Colt LE6920 for only $100-$200 more. Could you wait and save for another month or two to get a product that is far superior to the WW?

I know you said this is not for defense, but for fun. If that is truly the case, have you considered just getting an M&P 15-22 for about half of your budget? This would save you considerable money for any accessories you could want and you would have plenty of money for ammo as well.

If I had no compelling, immediate need other than "I want", I would either wait for the rifle I really wanted (the M&P 15 Sport in your case) or I would wait and save the money to get something better, especially when it can be had for $200 or less.

Just my $0.02.

GTifosi
05-25-12, 11:52
I have used the search tool and I'm finding very little (none) hands on

Because based on known parameters, visual inspection, and finger ****ing at shops no one here would buy one due to its obviously shit quality no matter how sexy the advert makes them seem.

Isn't a person here who's going to run out and get one to run into the ground purely for the sake of someone who may drift through asking about them.

I love the look of this puppy
Yeah, that should be a determining factor on tool you want to know to be reliable enough to trust your life to should the need ever arise.

Red cars are faster than brown ones because they look sexier....

mvician
05-25-12, 11:53

His mind is made up, he wants it now, he wants to buy local, he wants to look at it before he buys it.

OP, if your mind is made up on the Windham, read this thread and be sure to check and more than likely do the same upgrades.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13532

Split66
05-25-12, 11:55
And we've come full circle.

Texit if Grant has the Sport in stock for $599 just order one and have it sent to your FFL. Thats a smokin deal and I'm 99% sure it will arrive in better shape than any finger ****ed example you'll find @ your LGS. :D

I'm sure G&R would look it over to make sure it was in spec and not all f'd up if you ask them. The guy works on ARs every day.

texit
05-25-12, 12:38
I found a place local that has some M&P 15 Sports in stock!!

djmorris
05-25-12, 13:36
I found a place local that has some M&P 15 Sports in stock!!

Better be quick, they won't last.

PA PATRIOT
05-25-12, 16:16
While I only own one older Bushmaster it has seen better then 18,500rds fired without a single parts issue. This rifle was used for training events, instructor certifications and three gun competitions with only simple maintenance and scheduled parts replacement such as gas rings and buffer/extractor springs when needed.

While there are obviously better quality control inspected rifles on the market just because a AR was manufactured with small batch testing instead of individual testing this fact by no means make the batch tested rifles junk.

I have seen AR's of all manufacture break one time or another at high round count training classes so when it comes down to it each AR rifle is only as good as the owners maintenance schedule is.

eternal24k
05-25-12, 16:30
oh how i love new members with no location information asking questions about new products and then adamantly defending said products upon criticism.

Shill much?

Traveshamockery
05-25-12, 19:11

Folks around this site tend to view an AR as a tool, not a toy. Most people here are serious about their tools. For reasons well-documented around this site, the Windham rifle isn't professional grade, it's consumer grade.

I think it's unfair that some on this site are ignoring your stated purpose (casual plinking) and insisting your needs should match their own. You say you want a plinker. If so, buy the Windham rifle and call it a day.

As a serious tool, Windham is crap. As a casual shooter, it'll likely be fine. It's your choice as to whether you should pay $820 for a Windham or $990 for a professional-grade Colt.

northern1
05-25-12, 20:16
Its a numbers game. The detroit lions have an abysmal record (no offence to lions fans) as do AR15 family of rifles made in Wyndham Maine.

Have the Lions had a good game now and again ? Yup. Is there a BM, WW that could survive a high and fast round count ? Yup. Are the odds against that ? Yup.

For $850 I could buy a headache or for a little more buy a reliable piece of insurance that'll do all I need it to do and more should the need arise and be able to pass it on to my kids one day.

And also, are the guys here tough ? Yup. Are they taking their time to try and steer you in the right direction ? Yup. There's fanboy'ism everywhere but trust and respect are earned. Rifles from Wydham Main have earned distrust and left bad tastes in ppl mouths.

eo500
05-25-12, 20:21

The Windham will be tons of fun when you are at the range trying to trouble-shoot why it's jamming, failing to feed, failing to extract, short-stroking, not locking back, or whatever other plethora of issues may arise with it.

You may get lucky like some Bushmaster owners did and get a rifle that works well. But why take the risk when for a few more dollars, or a few less for the S&W, you can get a rifle that you know will work. The Windham may not "like" steel cased ammo, whereas most Colts and BCMs shoot them without any issue. In a single case of ammo you have a return on your investment that would make the Colt or BCM actually be cheaper than the Windham if it only shoots brass.

I personally prefer to shoot my rifles, rather than trouble-shooting them. That's why I bought my BCM middys and haven't regretted it for a second.

Hmac
05-25-12, 22:39

One doesn't have to be an "operator" to take pride in owning a reliable, proven, high-quality firearm. I'm not a carpenter but I wouldn't buy a drill from Harbor Freight. I'm not a mechanic, but my wrenches and sockets are all from Snap-On.

There are companies that make whole advertising campaigns around their product being "professional grade". Just because you aren't going to take your rifle to war doesn't mean you shouldn't aspire to own one of sufficient quality to do so, especially when the cost difference between "professional grade" and "consumer grade" is so low.

CDW4ME
05-25-12, 23:17
I bought a Windham SRC and like it fine. So far it's shot about 200 rounds of various ammo including some of my handloads. I like not having a fixed front sight; I put a Magpul MBUS on it and it's there if needed, red dot is primary.
Yes, it has 1/9 twist but my ammo is 55 - 62 gr. so not a problem.
I could have bought a Colt for $xxx more, but Colt customer service ticked me off over a Colt Defender so I would not buy Colt if were the same price (or less) ... principle.
The bolt on the Windham is staked and it fits together tightly.

I do have a DD V2 but it's not likely I'll ever notice any funuctional difference between it and the Windham other than the fixed front sight and free float quad rail.

jhs1969
05-26-12, 00:37
While I only own one older Bushmaster it has seen better then 18,500rds fired without a single parts issue. This rifle was used for training events, instructor certifications and three gun competitions with only simple maintenance and scheduled parts replacement such as gas rings and buffer/extractor springs when needed.

While there are obviously better quality control inspected rifles on the market just because a AR was manufactured with small batch testing instead of individual testing this fact by no means make the batch tested rifles junk.

I have seen AR's of all manufacture break one time or another at high round count training classes so when it comes down to it each AR rifle is only as good as the owners maintenance schedule is.

You bring up some good points. I have, in the past 30 years, owned somewhere around 16 different BMs. And like you I never had a problem with them that wasn't traced back to a mag problem. Most of them I averaged around 2k rounds each, which is not a lot of ammo through an individual weapon. I will give them one pro, with their larger gas ports they seem to operate OK on lower powered ammo.

However, I kicked them to the curb over five years ago and some one would have to pay me very well to ever consider buying another one. Even then I would never make them my only AR nor my go to AR. Why? Their cons, the aforementioned large gas ports, sometimes tight chambers (as documented here before), 1/9 twist rate, lower grade barrel steel, possible lower grade bolt steel (they have a higher rate of broken bolts), their complete averison to anything resembling proper staking (at least on the ones I owned), their mismatched iron sight planes. I'm sure I could list more if I thought hard enough, but BMs aren't worth that much effort:blink:

In today's AR market I can not think of a single reason to spend money on a BM/WW when a much higher grade weapon can be had for nearly equal funds. You say it's just for plinking, the AR system was designed as a serious use weapon. Most here still consider it just that. Here's a thought, buy a better grade weapon for nearly equal funds and it will be capable of plinking as well. The only way to force manufactors to improve their quality is to stop supporting their under grade products.

Now if one already owns one, I would not necessarily recommend dumping it and buying a better weapon. Though that is exactly what I did, it will cost more. They can be improved and upgraded, which is also the path I took before buying up. As already mentioned, they can run and can be improved. But I would never recommend any one to buy one in the first place.

Sorry, rant off.

fdxpilot
05-26-12, 01:39
mine is well staked where they say it should be staked. mine is supposedly made of the proper materials. mine seems to be put together well. my bolt supposedly is tested correctly. like i said, i am serious, i am not arguing, i would like to know what to fix on my gun.

Neither of the Windhams I looked at while at a local gun show (the only 2 I have ever seen,) were staked at all at the castle nut. Neither of the vendors was willing to let me field strip the rifle to examine the gas key.

Airhasz
05-26-12, 01:52
So why'd you come here and ask? Your mind is already made up; so be it.

Cause he felt like it

jklaughrey
05-26-12, 02:45
Cause he felt like it

Are you just posting mindless nonsensical crap to up your post count? Or are you actually going to post something of value rather than spewing rhetoric and high fives throughout every post you have made thus far.

Airhasz
05-26-12, 03:16
Are you just posting mindless nonsensical crap to up your post count? Or are you actually going to post something of value rather than spewing rhetoric and high fives throughout every post you have made thus far.

Post count means little to me. Not sure what you mean by rhetoric and fives but have never thought spewing. If my posting is not what you prefer, by all means pass by mine and reread yours when you desire exactly what you want to hear....then you will feel better:)

jklaughrey
05-26-12, 03:24
Feel better? Seriously no need to be a troll. Clearly you aren't here for the good of the board. You have been reported and ignored. Enjoy your short stay.

Col_Crocs
05-26-12, 04:15
This thread needs to be closed. The OP has obviously made up his mind and will not hear otherwise.