PDA

View Full Version : MDFI Shotgun 1 This Sunday (27th) In Albion, Michigan

KeithD
05-24-12, 21:38
Kind of late notice but we still have a few spots available for our Shotgun 1 class at Spectacal Lake Outdoor Club in Albion Michigan. This class is Sunday the 27th @ 9am.

If your interested in attending shoot me an Email at:

Keith@LibertyDefenseTraining.com

For more information on MDFI and course please visit:

www.MichiganTrainer.com

KeithD
05-24-12, 21:50
Here are afew AAR's from last class:

AAR: MDFI Shootergun 1 - 4/8/2012 SLOC Albion, MI

Who/Where: MDFI @ Spectacle Lake Outdoor Club, Albion MI

What: Shotgun 1 04/08/2012

When: April 8th 2012

My Training Background:
EAG Carbine Operator Course

MDFI HG1

MDFI HG2

MDFI LowLight/Nolight HG

MDFI CCS

Gear:
T-shirt with sneezing icecream cones on it

Vert Pants

Adidas Ciero Gazelles - Blue

Ares Ranger Belt

Smith M&P9L

Raven Concealment Systems phantom holster

1961 Remington 870 Magnum Model, MDOC trade in

Raven Concealment Systems moduloader system

Peltor Shotgunner Earpro

Assortment of buckshot and slugs to try

Why:
Never really got 'into shotguns'. I didn't grow up in a family that had firearms and I didn't hunt or do any of that stuff as a child. My interests in firearms had always been military guns (old and new). I actually bought my first pump action shotgun about a week or so ago and just really wanted to learn more about how to correctly implement a 'gauge'

What I expected:

I expected the class to be slower and more entry level than some of the more advanced shooting I do in other classes/personal. A little bit of me thought it might be a lame class because it would cater to the lowest common denominator of shotgun shooters (this part of me was super mega wrong). I also expected to go through a lot of patterning of buckshot and slugs.

What actually happened:
My entire world - except my hotdog world - got flipped upside down. I came into the class having the standard ignorant idea of what shotguns do and are propagated by movies or gun store "knowledge". The instructors asked us early on about some of our opinions on what we think of shotguns and why we think it. One of the big negative that a lot of people mentioned was magazine capacity - one of my griefs as well. Throughout the day reloads, both tactical and emergency, were stressed and it really demonstrated how a person would rarely ever find themselves running completely dry in most scenarios.

One drill that really put the heat on us was a modified waterfall style drill where the person on the far right end of the line would start shooting with 1 shell loaded. When the person on your right shot you would use that as a signal for you to start engaging the target(s) as well. After the first shot you would load two and continue the waterfall including it wrapping around to the original shooter. After you shot the two you would load three (the of all reloads being emergency) and continuing the drill until you fired five. If you can process how this drill works out it puts a lot of constructive pressure on the shooter to keep their gun in the fight and loaded at all times. It was this drills and many others that really not only got us learning new and practicing old skills but it also broke down almost all of the myths, legends, and or operator fairy tales you hear about shotguns - including the limited magazine capacity making the shotgun near useless.

I thought there would be more time to check patterns of different buckshot and slug loads I brought. Fortunately there wasn't. Fortunately because it would have been a waste. It was a great pleasure to have such a great bunch of guys to shoot with. Everyone was on their game (for their skill level) and it really allowed to delve into things that a normal SG1 might otherwise not get time to do. We as a class were doing so well that we had the time to work on shooting from cover and also - a favorite - shooting the shotgun dry and transition to secondary. Many people didn't have slings on their shotguns and I only can guess that most people who 'use' a shotgun for defense don't either. That being said it was reaching a little bit out of my realm - transitioning to secondary without a slinged weapon - but it was fine. Everyone did great and we learned a few different ways to implement the transition.

There was so much knowledge shared that its hard to type everything all out. All of the drills were effective and beneficial. The instructors (Keith and Brad) were right on the money when 'calling' a drill and moving on. I felt they really knew at what point our particular group had something 'down' and could progress on.

Myths Busted/Explored:
-Magazine capacities being an issue

-"Scatter gun" mentality

-Buckshot's effective range

-Slug's effective range and usefulness

-Shotgun as a close quarter weapon

Other notes/observations:
Police Trade in shotguns are a superb way to get a effective weapon for a menial sum. I also found out just how awesome the Raven Concealment Systems Moduloader is! It works amazingly and I recommend it to anyone who even owns a shotgun.

Critiques for instructors or class flow:

None, great job. If I think of anything I'll edit this - let you guys know.

**EDIT** sometimes you guys would specify 'bring a full load' to the line. Originally not knowing what you intended I would bring a full gun and full side saddle but none extra thinking that was 'full load'. After the first couple drills I was bringing my original full load + 25 box of shells in my back pocket. It might save a headache once in a while if you would extrapolate on how many rounds we need on the line for an entire drill.

Follow up actions:
-practice more with shotgun

-pattern some buck and see what slugs work well

-perchance change up the front sight to a XS big dot or the like

-buy Brandon a new stock

------------------------------------------

AAR : MDFI Shotgun 1 04/08/2012

Who/Where: MDFI w/ KeithD and Brad V @ Spectacle Lake Outdoor Club, Albion MI

What: Shotgun 1 04/08/2012

When: April 8th 2012

My Training Background:
Zero with Shotgun

Gear:
Mossberg 500 12ga with 20” smooth bore, bead sight

Why:
Develop knowledge of, and experience with a shotgun

What I expected:
Patterning of various shotgun loads, shotgun handling techniques, shotguns as a defensive weapon pro and con, shotgunning practice

What actually happened:
The class started with a good description of shotguns, slings, accessories, etc. with appropriate safety discussion and Q&A opportunity. Discussion about perceived pros and cons of the shotgun as a defensive weapon. Shooting started with buckshot patterning which was very interesting. Progressed to birdshot loads to learn shotgun handling techniques. We learned techniques for managing recoil early in the class. The techniques were fabulous and I was amazed how much it is possible to reduce shotgun recoil with just proper technique. It was good that we learned this early in class as we went on to shoot a lot of rounds. Our count was around 300 total. Next came speed reloading techniques. What a great thing this was to learn. I was amazed how fast a shotgun can be reloaded when you apply the proper techniques. I didn’t personally get super fast at doing it, but some of the students FLEW. I still need to practice. Class finished with shooting slugs. The shotgun is an awesome weapon. Slamming small steel targets with an ounce of lead at 50 yards with a short barrel and only a bead sight is extremely satisfying. This class was a blast (pun intended). This was our second day of training with Brad and Keith and it was as good, or better than the first. My sons and I had a LOT of fun in this class! Shotguns rock!

Other notes/observations:
Fun with guns and sons

Critiques for instructors or class flow:
Bring LP gas next time for Kasey’s hotdogs

Follow up actions:
Hogue stocks and side saddles coming up

To other students:
Don’t let Keith use rat nests to start a charcoal fire to cook your food over