PDA

View Full Version : Compact Pistol as Secondary

evotistic
05-24-12, 21:40
I was not quite sure where to post this, so if it is in the wrong forum, mods please move it.

I am getting ready to purchase another pistol, this one will be used as my CCW. I am looking at the M&P40. My question is related to full size or compact.

I want to buy a pistol that I can also use in the local matches, and use on training days as a secondary to my carbine. In this scenario, would I be hampered in any way if I went with the M&P40C?

Or will the full-size M&P40 be better suited for use as a tactical training pistol as well as my CCW?

My google-fu and orange search button skills could not find an answer to my questions.

BIGUGLY
05-24-12, 21:54
The compact M&P is still big enough to give you a fighting chance in matches. It would still be practical as a CCW gun as well. If you are confident in the weapon and caliber I would not hesitate to get the compact model.

Size wise it won't really be much smaller than a glock 23 which is not too bad to conceal.

Evan_O
05-24-12, 23:31
I carry a Glock 19 for duty, off duty and everything in between. Not sure how it compares to the M&P compact but if it feels good to you I say go for it. I catch a lot of shit for using a "compact" size weapon but I also shoot masters every year and most of the guys dishing it out are shooting 17's because they're "full size" and not because they shoot them well. I say if it works for you and you can get good hits go for it. Don't get hung up because Smith calls them compact models. Also, don't short change yourself, if you're going to give it a go dedicate a good six months to a year with that pistol. You'll have some shitty days and some good ones and after half a year to a year you'll know if it will really work for you.

evotistic
05-25-12, 06:45
I was thinking along the same lines. Much like anything else, perfect practice makes perfect. I don't have very big hands, and as stated above, even though it is called a compact I like the size and the feel in my hand.

Good to know that I probably won't be alone on the line running a compact as a secondary.

As far as getting good hits, is there a distinct difference in shooting a full size and a compact in fundamentals?

RagweedZulu
05-25-12, 09:15
The reason your Google Foo won't work is because you're asking it a subjective question. Only you can tell if a pistol is going to work for both your needs.

The 40 compact was designed for CCW, so of course its going to work for that purpose, and itll do the job admirably.

I don't shoot M&Ps, but I doubt you'll have much problem in competitions either. As to your last questions above, there is almost NO difference in handling a compact vs. full size pistol. Others will disagree, but you can do it. The controls are exactly the same, designed that way by the manufacturer. You might notice a slight difference in shot to shot recovery etc. but only you can judge that.

My personal mantra goes like this; I buy guns for SD. If I can press them into service for range fun and gaming, all the better. I'll never be an IDPA champion, far from it. Run your matches as a way to get better with your pistol, not as a way to bring home trophies.

evotistic
05-25-12, 10:41
Run your matches as a way to get better with your pistol, not as a way to bring home trophies.

That is an excellent point. Great insight zulu. Thank you.

Hogsgunwild
05-25-12, 15:12
I have the 9MM full-size and compact. I intend to use my compact the next time that I take a course. It is a great shooter and a dream to carry. Sometimes I carry two spare 17 round mags and sometimes two 12 round mags. Very controllable and easy to make good hits with fast.

The compact has become the perfect carry gun for me. The weight rarely bothers me and the grip size allows you to lean forward at a table or bar (was at a sushi bar for lunch yesterday, drinking ice tea of course). I always notice how nice it is to be able to lean forward and not have to worry about printing. Never have I found such a small / concealable gun that shot so much like a full-sized gun. I had two Glock 27s and they were good but they never did it for me the way the M&P compact has.

Some people state that the compacts pinch them during magazine changes but it has not been an issue for me.

I have been tempted to get a .40 compact but am trying to standardize with the 9MM. I do like the compacts in .40 or 9MM better than their fullsize version after having experienced them all.

Rompnstomp
05-25-12, 19:24
I carried the M&P40c for three years as well as shot IDPA with it. It carried well, was light weight and easy enough to shoot. My only complaint was when competing with it I would occasionally go too fast on the reloads and give my self two lovely little blood blisters. One on the palm and one on the back of my ring finger. It was this that led me to finally sell it. That, and I found that the grip was just short enough that it hampered my draw slightly. With the investment of a good holster I discovered that i could carry a larger gun just as easily with out the performance issues. Incidentally, I switched to a Glock 17, then a Glock 19 for four years, and just recently traded that in for a Walther PPQ. All equally good guns, each with pros and cons.