PDA

View Full Version : Been reading up in this forum have a Question

ILRedneck
05-25-12, 06:54
Just read the whole M&P accuracy thread, and some of the Gen4 Glock threads, and I'm wondering more about handgun selection. The way it looks, Glock extraction is erratic (in all generations), may ping you in the head, and the Gen4's have some weak (basically cheap) ammo issues. The M&P's are having random accuracy issues, and may be completely atrocious.

I use two platforms currently, Beretta 92 and HK P30 (the DA/SA variant with thumb safety, I think that's V3). I'd been thinking about switching to striker fire for the consistent trigger pull, but now I'm thinking this is a bad idea.

In the last 12 months, I've got close to 8000 rounds from my DA/SA guns, and am comfortable with them, worked out my initial accuracy issues, and I'm happy with them. A thread in one of the SME forums got me to thinking that maybe something better was out there, but I'm not so sure now. Should I just stick with what I have? I'm thinking so.

I'll add, what about the Walther models, are there any know issues there?

tdoom15
05-25-12, 07:45
Walther has been pretty good with no issues that I know of with the PPQ, and the PPS is the same with the current production model. Both are high quality pistols IMO, and I own both.

You can go used and try to find an older gen 2 or 3 glock, pre 2010 seems to be the consensus.

The other route you can go is buying an M&P, adding apex parts and a fitted barrel. Apex is also making parts that will hopefully fix the new glock issues, but "soon" is the timeline.

pr1042
05-25-12, 09:03
I would never sell a p30 for a glock/m&p, especialky if you are comfortable and accurate with it

That's just me though

brushy bill
05-25-12, 09:41
[QUOTE=ILRedneck;1313939] I've got close to 8000 rounds from my DA/SA guns, and am comfortable with them, worked out my initial accuracy issues, and I'm happy with them.

Should I just stick with what I have? I'm thinking so. QUOTE]

Questions asked and answered.

If everything is working well and you are happy, why chase something else?

Grizzly16
05-25-12, 09:52
Just read the whole M&P accuracy thread, and some of the Gen4 Glock threads, and I'm wondering more about handgun selection. The way it looks, Glock extraction is erratic (in all generations), may ping you in the head, and the Gen4's have some weak (basically cheap) ammo issues. The M&P's are having random accuracy issues, and may be completely atrocious.

I use two platforms currently, Beretta 92 and HK P30 (the DA/SA variant with thumb safety, I think that's V3). I'd been thinking about switching to striker fire for the consistent trigger pull, but now I'm thinking this is a bad idea.

In the last 12 months, I've got close to 8000 rounds from my DA/SA guns, and am comfortable with them, worked out my initial accuracy issues, and I'm happy with them. A thread in one of the SME forums got me to thinking that maybe something better was out there, but I'm not so sure now. Should I just stick with what I have? I'm thinking so.

I'm guessing after 8000 rounds you have figured out if you can adapt to the DA/SA issue. And the answer is no?

Don't forget you can get a DA only Beretta 92D and lighten the trigger pull. Then the muscle memory of working with that gun is preserved.

Also, have you actually tried an M&P to see if it is less accurate than you need or are you going off what you've read on the internet? If the M&P is genuinely less accurate than you are try one of the new fitted barrels that fix the accuracy problem.

Hogsgunwild
05-25-12, 10:53
My PPQ has been excellent. Very accurate and reliable, like your p30.
Costs about $500.00.

I like the P30 a lot, but, the trigger on the PPQ takes less effort to be just as accurate as the p30 is. I prefer having a thumb safety so the PPQ isn't perfect for me but it's close.

I have four H&Ks and I chose the PPQ over the P30. I have rented P30s at least six times and even rented one after I bought the PPQ to see if I was missing anything. I found that I made right choice and was thrilled that I bought the PPQ over the P30.

I like my M&Ps a lot but no one should have to wonder what they are going to get when buying a new gun (referring to the 9MM full-size M&P). Add at least two to four hundred dollars to your purchase price
for re-barreling if you get one of the many M&P 9MM lemons. And then, once you fix it, it will shoot no better than a PPQ.

Striker
05-25-12, 12:20

Both have advantages and disadvantages. Pistol is a pistol. If you shoot what you have well, why change unless you just want something else. SF guns are not magic; they're just a different take. Also, on a DA/SA, after you get past that initial ten pound trigger pull of the first shot, all the other shots in the string will be SA. People seem to forget this part of it. Here's a quick vid of Ernest Langdon shooting a Beretta 92 at the 2011 Carolina Cup. Take a look at it and see what you think. http://pistol-training.com/archives/4901. Also, take a look at this link. It's Todd Green's write up on DA/SA. He's forgotten more about DA/SA than I'll ever know. http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4212-General-Thoughts-on-DA-SA-Pistols

I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm saying both have their advantages. I have both and like both. Both the guns you have are nice. If you're looking for something different, that's perfectly fine; but I wouldn't sell either gun, I would just add to the collection.

ILRedneck
05-25-12, 14:04
Thanks guys, as far as what got me to thinking that maybe I should switch, there was a thread in one of the ask the SME forum's on this site that got me to thinking that I may be handicapping myself. So I got to doing some looking around here and saw some of the other threads and got to thinking I should just stay put....

A little over a year ago I had a thread talking about the great problems I'd had getting a semi-auto to shoot well for me, or even at anything that resembled acceptable. I got told then to get out, get training, and practice. I did that on the Beretta, then picked up the P30 and continued on with both. I've shot the Glocks and the M&P's, albeit before I really got my head screwed on straight, and put the work in that I needed to do.

Honestly, I do like to look for advantages if they are there, so I keep my eyes open, read and try to learn. I don't like to just shut my mind off and say "this is the only way for me." After reading the links provided, I guess the advantage isn't really all that large. I've worked hard to get to the point that that first DA shot is a hit, but I have reached that point.

For me, I can shoot both pistols (M9 and P30) equally well, although the Beretta makes me work harder for it. I think this is due to the longer trigger reach on the Beretta and my smallish hands, but I do have to stay focused on my fundamentals with it, whereas the HK seems to "help" me along. I shoot the M9 more to force myself to stay focused, and can pick up the HK at any point and be equally proficient.

In a nutshell, a respected individual answering a question for another poster caused me to wonder if the grass was greener, despite my current state of contentment. I got to reading more and started to wonder if I should stay where I am. Responses to my original post have convinced me to do so. Thanks again for all the responses.

Grizzly16
05-25-12, 14:09
Thanks guys, as far as what got me to thinking that maybe I should switch, there was a thread in one of the ask the SME forum's on this site that got me to thinking that I may be handicapping myself. So I got to doing some looking around here and saw some of the other threads and got to thinking I should just stay put....

A little over a year ago I had a thread talking about the great problems I'd had getting a semi-auto to shoot well for me, or even at anything that resembled acceptable. I got told then to get out, get training, and practice. I did that on the Beretta, then picked up the P30 and continued on with both. I've shot the Glocks and the M&P's, albeit before I really got my head screwed on straight, and put the work in that I needed to do.

Honestly, I do like to look for advantages if they are there, so I keep my eyes open, read and try to learn. I don't like to just shut my mind off and say "this is the only way for me." After reading the links provided, I guess the advantage isn't really all that large. I've worked hard to get to the point that that first DA shot is a hit, but I have reached that point.

For me, I can shoot both pistols (M9 and P30) equally well, although the Beretta makes me work harder for it. I think this is due to the longer trigger reach on the Beretta and my smallish hands, but I do have to stay focused on my fundamentals with it, whereas the HK seems to "help" me along. I shoot the M9 more to force myself to stay focused, and can pick up the HK at any point and be equally proficient.

In a nutshell, a respected individual answering a question for another poster caused me to wonder if the grass was greener, despite my current state of contentment. I got to reading more and started to wonder if I should stay where I am. Responses to my original post have convinced me to do so. Thanks again for all the responses.

Have you tried putting the D spring on the 92? To me it lightened up the DA first shot quite a bit. Not enough to be as nice as an M&P with apex stuff though. :big_boss:

ILRedneck
05-25-12, 14:57
Beretta has the D mainspring in it. It did lighten it up, reminds me of a nice broke in K frame Smith DA pull now.

I really think that the reason I have to work harder with the Beretta is the trigger reach, I'm not unhappy with my performance with the Beretta, it's just that I do have to stay focused. That makes me shoot it more, cause it cuts me no slack.