PDA

View Full Version : M-tac breakin

moonshot
05-25-12, 12:56
I have been using Com-tac's C-tac holster for several months and I am quite happy with it. The one complaint I have is that it is not too comfortable next to bare skin, so I am looking for a holster for those times when the weather prevents me from wearing two shirts (one tucked in between the holster and me and one untucked covering garment).

Many have recommended the M-tac, so I recently ordered one. It is very comfortable and solves the problem of one-shirt wear, but I notice that the gun is difficult to both re-holster and draw.

In order to prevent my pants from falling, I need to have my belt fairly tight. With the soft leather backing on the M-tac, the tight belt causes the holster shell to compress. This makes draw difficult. The holster (and now my pants) want to get pulled up as I draw the gun, slowing me down and generally getting in the way.

Re-holster is also slow. It's now better two-handed (which I don't like) as well as requiring me to place my thumb over the slide to help ensure it does not ride back as I push the frame into the holster.

i have been cautioned against placing mole skin on the back of my C-tac as it doesn't work too well - far less comfortable than the M-tac and it doesn't stick.

Bottom line - the M-tac is to tight when worn as I need it. My question for you all here - does this get better as the holster breaks-in, or will I be faced with this problem to some extent no matter how long I wear it?

If break in will fix it, I'll keep it and give it a go. If not, I'll return to Com-tac.

Thanks.

glockeyed
05-25-12, 13:04
have you played with the tension screws at all?

what model gun? or how heavy of a gun are wearing? i carry a glock 30 in an mtac. even if i snug up my belt tight i can still draw it.

however i did buy their 2 '0 clock once for a kahr mk9, and basicly had the same problem. no matter what tension i set once it was IWB the pistol was stuck.

moonshot
05-25-12, 13:43
Baby Glock, so not as heavy as your G30 (but I have no hips, so it's a straight drop to the ground. Kind of more information than you wanted, isn't it?).

Yes, I've loosened the retention screws. Doesn't help. Once I tighten my belt, it just doesn't want to come out.

glockeyed
05-25-12, 13:58
the only breakin is the leather forming to your body. i have what doctors call Noassatall.:sarcastic:

i would contact comptac (keep in mind they are off this holiday) they have always been very helpful. they may just swap the body and see if that resolves it.

skyugo
05-26-12, 11:21
what belt are you using? I used an mtac with an HK p7 psp (pretty heavy gun) and a wilderness tactical belt. It worked really well... a flimsy belt can make any holster miserable.

ImBroke
05-26-12, 14:08
I don't know if they went to a thinner shell or what. My 3 yr old MTAC did not have that problem with an M&P or Glock shell. The Spartan I bought last summer is unusable b/c of the issue you describe.

RichDC2
05-26-12, 14:42
I have had success filing down the "retention bump" in the trigger guard to where it is easier to draw and holster while still being snug.

ImBroke
05-26-12, 17:32
I'm going to try that with my Spartan, I hope it works. I like the overall design of the MTAC/Spartan but love how you can shape the backing of the Spartan to allow a full firing grip in the holster. Can't do that with the MTAC.

moonshot
05-27-12, 14:35
I can try a better belt, but I don't think that's it. This may simply be a good holster that doesn't work for me. That's why they make multiple designs.

The_War_Wagon
05-27-12, 15:44
I bought CompTac's kydex re-inforced belt when I bought my MTAC recently. Mating the two together has seemed a good move on my part!

skyugo
05-27-12, 15:47
I can try a better belt, but I don't think that's it. This may simply be a good holster that doesn't work for me. That's why they make multiple designs.

assuming you're already using a decent gun belt the belt probably isn't the issue. just generally when i hear that someone has to cinch their belt down to keep the gun in place, i figure their belt isn't stiff enough for carrying a firearm.