PDA

View Full Version : eBay eats crow!

Fried Chicken Blowout
05-25-12, 17:26
I used to be a really big eBay seller on a private level. I had one year with right at $15k of sales. But over the past 5 years I've really abandoned them as a method of selling because of their anti-gun and anti-seller policies. But I got a call from them today wanting to talk to me about their new expansion of allowed items. Times must be tough for them if their are going to back peddle on these times... Here's the follow up email they sent me after the phone call...

Thanks for speaking with me today. As I mentioned, eBay's Hunting category has expanded to include more items, which could mean more buyers and sales for you. Now you can list the following firearm parts and accessories on the eBay US site (eBay.com) with domestic shipping:

Enbloc clips
Barrels
Bolts
Choke tubes
Cylinders
Firing pins
Hammers
Magazines with a capacity to accept 10 rounds or less (high-capacity magazines that can accept more than 10 rounds are not allowed)
Slides
Trigger assemblies
Important Guidelines
We take the update to the Hunting category seriously and will monitor these items vigilantly for compliance with the eBay firearms policy and all relevant laws and regulations. If your listing does not meet the requirements of this policy, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including restrictions to your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account. Keep in mind these important guidelines when listing any of these firearm parts and accessories:

You may now show your accessories on a firearm in your photo, as long as it is not an assault weapon and there is no indication in the listing that the firearm is included in the sale.
You and all of the items listed must be located in the US and you must only offer domestic shipping on these items.
Listing accessories related to assault weapons is still prohibited on eBay. If your accessory is compatible with other weapons as well as assault weapons, you may list it, but may not mention any assault weapon compatibility. The listing of firearms, replica firearms, ammunition, and other firearm-related items is still prohibited on eBay. Please carefully review the site policy that outlines firearm restrictions before listing these items, and be sure your listings—titles, descriptions, and photos—are in compliance with the new update.
Sell more and grow
Since opening up the category, there has been significant demand for these items, so don't miss this opportunity to sell more and reach more buyers by offering additional firearms parts and accessories on eBay. Expanding your inventory to offer these products can help grow your business. Take advantage of the update and start listing more items today.

Have a great day and thank you for selling on eBay!

Victoria
eBay Seller Development

I will continue to sell items pretty much only on forums since I'd rather not provide any income to a company like eBay! But it's good to see them get with the program a little.

5pins
05-25-12, 18:30
Screw eBay.

Moose-Knuckle
05-25-12, 19:14
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/PoopOnEbay.jpg

And while we're at it . . .

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/Screwpaypal_logo_x501_gif.gif

VooDoo6Actual
05-25-12, 19:15
I used to be a really big eBay seller on a private level. I had one year with right at $15k of sales. But over the past 5 years I've really abandoned them as a method of selling because of their anti-gun and anti-seller policies. But I got a call from them today wanting to talk to me about their new expansion of allowed items. Times must be tough for them if their are going to back peddle on these times... Here's the follow up email they sent me after the phone call...

I will continue to sell items pretty much only on forums since I'd rather not provide any income to a company like eBay! But it's good to see them get with the program a little.

Most excellent, well done !

Been doing this for many years myself. I vote w/ my pocketbook many ways as well.

I only sell on forums for this reason. You will see this trend to continue with Banking et alia...
It's going to get tougher as this economy winds down by design.

BTW,
Hilarious pics Moose.

Armati
05-26-12, 09:54
Ebay has lightened up a lot over the last year or so. Their new policies in actual practice are even more lax than their official policies. While Ebay and paypal do have some PITA policies at times, Ebay is the only place where you can make that kind of money selling original items 'as used by Special Forces' to some Airsoft fanboy in Asia.

usmcvet
05-29-12, 20:29
I still use Pay Pal, what do you guys use instead of PP?

CoryCop25
05-29-12, 20:49
I will admit that I still also use paypal. As anti gun as they are, they are still convenient. I know there was talk of a gun related paypal type system but I guess it never took off.
Anytime I buy or sell a gun related item with paypal, I feel like I'm saying eff you paypal...:smile:

mallowpufft
05-29-12, 21:12
I will admit that I still also use paypal. As anti gun as they are, they are still convenient. I know there was talk of a gun related paypal type system but I guess it never took off.
Anytime I buy or sell a gun related item with paypal, I feel like I'm saying eff you paypal...:smile:

This. I love paying for gun related items with PayPal. Feels like I'm sticking it to the man, so to speak.
I have yet to achieve my goal of purchasing a stripped lower with PP but someday I'll get there :).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Fried Chicken Blowout
05-29-12, 21:18
PayPal called me to bitch me out that I had posted a complete upper for sale on a forum and stated I would accept PayPal as payment. I ended up not selling the upper but they still called me and then locked my account. They wouldn't unlock my account till I logged on to my account and checked a box saying I agreed to their policies that stated I couldn't use PayPal in a transaction for a "receiver"...

Stick it to The Man!!

Gramps
05-29-12, 21:26
Ebay, is too stupid to know how to eat crow. I don't trust anything they say. Snakes, don't eat crow.

chadbag
05-29-12, 22:01

for business transactions, credit cards.

otherwise, postal money orders sent certified mail is what I use and accept. But I rarely buy from private individuals myself since I have wholesale accounts etc.

I have access to a PP account if I need to buy something and that is the only option, but I try to avoid it.

--

chadbag
05-29-12, 22:05

All you are doing is giving them profit and revenue and setting yourself up to have your funds seized and getting kicked off PP.

My funds weren't seized as I had no funds there (I never left any money in it), but I was kicked off PP for the "crime" of listing so-called hi-cap magazines on my website and also having a PP logo on the website. It got escalated to a a VP there but I never got reinstated. And I technically did not break their T&Cs as, at least at the time, they forbad actual transactions through PP for such items, and, despite my repeatedly asking for the info, they could point to NO transaction actually happening through PP for forbidden items (I had lots of non-forbidden items also on my website).

Armati
05-29-12, 22:32
It seems like paypal can only do this with auctions and private sellers. I use my paypal Business Debit MC to buy things on line all of the time. Most notably, I use paypal to buy ammo from the usual dealers.

Paypal is my mad-money. I sell all of my old gear/equipment/toys to finance new things I want to buy.

The_War_Wagon
05-29-12, 23:20
Do they still require gaypal? :rolleyes:

I had a 10 year PERFECT RECORD on there, doing nothing BUT Postal M.O. / cash in-person transactions, until they squelched THAT with gaypal.

I wouldn't even roll the donut FOR them now. They can find their OWN, and take a flying leap at it...:mad:

chadbag
05-29-12, 23:57
Do they still require gaypal? :rolleyes:

I had a 10 year PERFECT RECORD on there, doing nothing BUT Postal M.O. / cash in-person transactions, until they squelched THAT with gaypal.

I wouldn't even roll the donut FOR them now. They can find their OWN, and take a flying leap at it...:mad:

No, AFAIK, they do not REQUIRE that established sellers accept PP. Last time I sold some stuff there, a year or two ago, I did not have to -- I could list other methods. And I have recently bought (non gun related) stuff on eBay where the seller had other forms of payment listed and took other forms [vintage RC and vintage computer parts -- eBay is one of the only places around to find certain things].

My understanding, is that they require new sellers (with a feedback under some arbitrary level) to only accept PP. Once you become "established", however that is defined, you can specify other sorts of payment. (During a dispute with them, I opened a second eBay account for a short while to buy some stuff and I also tried to sell some stuff but the PP requirement blocked me -- later after we settled the dispute and my normal account was open again I was able to sell without the PP requirement since I was long established with them)

A year or two ago I sold off my last stock of Sigtac knives, T-shirts, and some Dillon conversion kits for oddball calibers on eBay. I try and avoid it like the plague and have not sold anything since and don't plan to. Their fees are much too high.

--

Iraqgunz
05-30-12, 01:20
Recently I sold some Daniel Defense upper receivers on eBAy and was almost burned. The buyer claimed that they did not receive the items.

I clearly stated that the items would be shipped USPS priority mail and that any additional requests would be extra. I was sent no additional instructions so I sent them items.

I have 100% feedback and have been with eBay for 11 years. The buyer did not contact me first or attempt to resolve.

When I was contacted by eBay I was told to respond within xxx amount of time, yet I couldn't directly respond to eBay nor could I speak to anyone. As I researched it further it would appear that as a seller you have no rights whatsoever and they will side with the buyer in almost all cases. There is an eBay member who had several thousand transaction who made an informative post over at eBay telling all sellers that they are basically at the mercy of eBay and should an item not arrive (regardless of what insurance is paid) and should the seller have a complaint they will almost always lose.

In the future I will stay away from posting any gun items with very few exceptions. It's not worth the headache.

5pins
05-30-12, 08:22

Amazon payments.

https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/index.htm

polydeuces
05-30-12, 08:44
This. I love paying for gun related items with PayPal. Feels like I'm sticking it to the man, so to speak.
I have yet to achieve my goal of purchasing a stripped lower with PP but someday I'll get there :).

Too bad you're not in FL - I have a lower here with your name on it - and I loooove paypal, "personal".....:;)

Artos
05-30-12, 10:06
ebay & paypal can pound sand...they will never see another dime from this household.

mallowpufft
05-30-12, 10:10
Too bad you're not in FL - I have a lower here with your name on it - and I loooove paypal, "personal".....:;)

It seems like I have all kinds of friends and family that I send money to and get money from these days... I can understand eBay not wanting to be held liable for firearms purchases but for PayPal to not permit use of their system for such things seems hokey. If Visa, MC, AmEx or Discover did something like that there would be mutiny, quickly.

Waylander
05-30-12, 10:59
Recently I sold some Daniel Defense upper receivers on eBAy and was almost burned. The buyer claimed that they did not receive the items.

I clearly stated that the items would be shipped USPS priority mail and that any additional requests would be extra. I was sent no additional instructions so I sent them items.

I have 100% feedback and have been with eBay for 11 years. The buyer did not contact me first or attempt to resolve.

When I was contacted by eBay I was told to respond within xxx amount of time, yet I couldn't directly respond to eBay nor could I speak to anyone. As I researched it further it would appear that as a seller you have no rights whatsoever and they will side with the buyer in almost all cases. There is an eBay member who had several thousand transaction who made an informative post over at eBay telling all sellers that they are basically at the mercy of eBay and should an item not arrive (regardless of what insurance is paid) and should the seller have a complaint they will almost always lose.

In the future I will stay away from posting any gun items with very few exceptions. It's not worth the headache.

This.
If you're a seller you WILL eventually get burned.

I sold a diamond ring and stated very clearly in the ad I didn't have certification on the diamond. The buyer, after paying, demanded that I provide certification and/or appraisal paperwork. He filed a 'not as described' complaint before he even received the item. I had tracking to prove it but PayPal didn't care that he was pulling something. I got delcon and he filed another NAD the same day. They instructed him to send the item back and promised him his money would be refunded through 'buyer protection'. He claimed he was mailing the ring back but all I received was an empty box. It would've been the perfect scam but...

Luckily for me I had already yanked the money from my bank account. PayPal tried unsuccessfully to debit my bank account for a few thousand dollars. I explained to them I received an empty box but they didn't care and said it was basically my word against his. They said I could take legal action if I needed to but they couldn't do anything even though they claim they have a 'seller protection' policy as well.

They are ****ing shady. Scratch that. Corrupt is a more fitting description.

And the ones of you buying and selling gun parts that think you're 'sticking it to them' are only supporting them by allowing them to use your funds to continue to operate.