PDA

View Full Version : Got my Sideguard "tuck-clip"

skyugo
05-25-12, 21:21
I ordered a sideguard tuck-clip for my smith 642 in march, true to their 8-9 week waitlist, it arrived two months later in may. I've been carrying it fairly regularly for the last 2 weeks now.

VERY nice leather work, good heavy duty stitching, molds nicely to the revolver. The clip is black spring steel, fits my wilderness belt great.

I'd say the retention level is pretty much perfect. the gun won't fall out by any means, but it's still easy and smooth to draw from.

Quite comfortable to carry IWB. I carry this gun primarily in my pocket, but i was looking for a carry solution for when i don't have decent pockets etc. One thing to keep in mind when carrying a revolver IWB which was a bit surprising to me was how thick the cylinder is. It's still a very comfortable gun to carry due to its lightweight and unobtrusive grip though.

I primarily carry this setup at 2:30, basically right over my right front pocket. The offset clip does help keep the overall thickness down. A lot of clip style holsters place the clip directly in the center of the slide or cylinder I find that tends to allow the gun to rotate in addition to adding thickness to the bulkiest part of the holster.

only downside i see to the offset clip is you can hit your knuckle on it while drawing. Being a thin steel clip this can be a bit uncomfortable though I haven't drawn blood.

So here's some pics.. overall a great holster I highly recommend them!

http://imgur.com/a/ivEy8

donlapalma
05-26-12, 00:09
Thanks for the review. This is on my wish list. I think it will be a good solution for my desire to AIWB carry. However, I've always been unsure of the cant. Which route did you go? I'm thinking neutral / zero cant so I can play with the position until I find the most comfortable spot. Thoughts?

skyugo
05-26-12, 11:12
Thanks for the review. This is on my wish list. I think it will be a good solution for my desire to AIWB carry. However, I've always been unsure of the cant. Which route did you go? I'm thinking neutral / zero cant so I can play with the position until I find the most comfortable spot. Thoughts?

I did zero cant. I carry my g19 at 2:30 also and i have that canted at 15 degrees. I find this lets me get the gun a bit lower and still be able to get a full grip on it, also aids concealability..
of course the grip on a j-frame is a completely different animal than a glock, no concealment issues, and easy to grip.

only time i'd run cant on a j-frame would be if it was going past the 4 o clock mark... i never carry back there though...

mark olindale
05-28-12, 18:43
Thanks for the review. I look forward to hearing how the holster holds up. It looks pretty well made. Make sure you keep us updated as it gets more use.

mhanna91
05-30-12, 20:17
Looks good. I have been carrying my Sideguard for a few months now and it is holding up very well. Great holster in my opinion.

skyugo
06-01-12, 01:00
Looks good. I have been carrying my Sideguard for a few months now and it is holding up very well. Great holster in my opinion.

yeah i have no concerns with the durability of this holster. this guy does good work.

SpankMonkey
06-12-12, 07:45
How much was the holster? Looks like a good design.

bdcheung
06-12-12, 08:07
List price is $65

http://www.sideguardholsters.com/holsters/TuckClip.htm

donlapalma
02-28-13, 09:46
So I've had this holster for a few months now, but admittedly haven't used it a whole lot. The retention is very good, but too good brand new. When I do use this holster I wear it at about 1:00. When I attempt to draw, the holster comes out with the pistol while the metal clip clings onto the belt and bends. Note that I am using a proper CCW belt and wearing it snuggly enough to be functional (in my mind) while still being somewhat comfortable.

Those with this holster, have you experienced similar results? Should I be expecting a "break-in" period with this holster? If so, how long? I do work the pistol in and out of the holster from time to time to help smooth this out, but I'm wondering what else I could be doing to promote a smooth draw with the holster staying in place. Thanks for your help!

jasonhgross
02-28-13, 13:12
Is this another Mitch Rosen knock-off?

aceofspades991
03-01-13, 15:17
So I've had this holster for a few months now, but admittedly haven't used it a whole lot. The retention is very good, but too good brand new. When I do use this holster I wear it at about 1:00. When I attempt to draw, the holster comes out with the pistol while the metal clip clings onto the belt and bends. Note that I am using a proper CCW belt and wearing it snuggly enough to be functional (in my mind) while still being somewhat comfortable.

Those with this holster, have you experienced similar results? Should I be expecting a "break-in" period with this holster? If so, how long? I do work the pistol in and out of the holster from time to time to help smooth this out, but I'm wondering what else I could be doing to promote a smooth draw with the holster staying in place. Thanks for your help!

I have a rkba pocket holster ( which I really like ) and had an issue with it coming out with the gun. Per the supplied instructions I put the gun in a sock and left it in the holster for a few nights after this it functioned as it was supposed to. You're mileage may vary since it's a different holster but it's worth a try.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

steelerfan88
04-12-13, 16:23
I ordered a sideguard tuck-clip for my smith 642 in march, true to their 8-9 week waitlist, it arrived two months later in may. I've been carrying it fairly regularly for the last 2 weeks now.

VERY nice leather work, good heavy duty stitching, molds nicely to the revolver. The clip is black spring steel, fits my wilderness belt great.

I'd say the retention level is pretty much perfect. the gun won't fall out by any means, but it's still easy and smooth to draw from.

Quite comfortable to carry IWB. I carry this gun primarily in my pocket, but i was looking for a carry solution for when i don't have decent pockets etc. One thing to keep in mind when carrying a revolver IWB which was a bit surprising to me was how thick the cylinder is. It's still a very comfortable gun to carry due to its lightweight and unobtrusive grip though.

I primarily carry this setup at 2:30, basically right over my right front pocket. The offset clip does help keep the overall thickness down. A lot of clip style holsters place the clip directly in the center of the slide or cylinder I find that tends to allow the gun to rotate in addition to adding thickness to the bulkiest part of the holster.

only downside i see to the offset clip is you can hit your knuckle on it while drawing. Being a thin steel clip this can be a bit uncomfortable though I haven't drawn blood.

So here's some pics.. overall a great holster I highly recommend them!

http://imgur.com/a/ivEy8

good review.....I was thinkin' bout' getting the same thing myself