PDA

View Full Version : ADM mount design change?

WS6
05-26-12, 00:25
I used to have an ADM mount for a T1 optic. Well, actually I still do, but I won't use it.

When I tried it out, it buggered my rail, and I don't feel that it was very conducive to repeatable accuracy.

Now, I am not saying "I need a new rail", it was cosmetic only, but let me describe the problem. I don't have the best camera (HTC Droid...herp derp...), so I will try my very best to illustrate with words, and what images I can. I do not have a picture of the rail, as it is long-gone, and I am not concerned with it.

The problem: The ADM mount uses a square "foot/bar" that runs the transverse distance under the mount and interfaces with the rail. This is great, well, and good.

The problem comes in with the adjustment nut. The "bar" screws into the base of this nut. However, the base of this nut's diameter is such that its diameter extends past that of the bottom flat on this "bar". This, in turn, means that instead of the mount sitting flat on your rail, it sits at an angle, a slight bit of this nut pressing against the edge of the rail, which will indeed deform the rail over time. Mine suffered bending, and cosmetic damage. Again, that rail is gone, long gone, over a year ago.

Anyway, there is no way that this is conducive to accuracey or repeatability, and quite frankly, one of ADM's sales points is that it "will not mar a rail" like some of their competitors will.

So...is there a way to adjust this out of the mechanism that I am ignorant of?
Has ADM changed their mounts/this nut?

I would like to buy another ADM mount for a fastfire III, and would like to know if this was just an early mount and they have changed the tensioning nut design.

Please advise.

Here are photo's of my current M4S90's rail, along with the ADM mount illustrating the issue. This was from placing the mount on the rail, and removing it one time. No shooting was done. Under dynamic load, the rail on my last M4S90 was "dented/bent" where here you just see a shiny mark. I also tried this mount on a rail from Carriercomp, and it did the same. My ADM mount was purchased roughly 1.5 years ago.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2yo5mi0.jpg

WS6
05-26-12, 01:25
Here is my T1 mount that caused these issues so that comment can be made if it's been revised since mine was made or not, also, keep in mind I am planning a Fastfire III mount, not another T1 mount, if I do buy another ADM product. They make the only QD FFIII mount that sits as low as it does, that I am aware of.:
http://i47.tinypic.com/2dgsw77.jpg

SkiDevil
05-26-12, 02:55
I would give it another go if they make the only mount available for the application required.

I personally have 6 ADM mounts for optics and lights at the moment. Depending on the application, I may tighten down the mechanism with more force such as mounting an optic to the top rail of the upper receiver. Although I have certainly noted some markings, nothing I would describe as "gouging". The bottom line is if the mount does not sit flat on the rail then something is out of specification.

I would send in the mount to ADM they have excellent customer service.

You may look into Brobo mounting solutions as well. I am very pleased with my ADM mounts. The last one I purchased was for a Schmidt and Bender scope. The mount fit perfectly and mounted onto the rail with no adjustment right out of the box. The only complaint I have is every mount is shipped and packaged with alot of oil/ grease on it but otherwise I am a very satisfied customer and recommend their products to others.

Best of luck

SkiDevil

WS6
05-26-12, 03:12
I would give it another go if they make the only mount available for the application required.

I personally have 6 ADM mounts for optics and lights at the moment. Depending on the application, I may tighten down the mechanism with more force such as mounting an optic to the top rail of the upper receiver. Although I have certainly noted some markings, nothing I would describe as "gouging". The bottom line is if the mount does not sit flat on the rail then something is out of specification.

I would send in the mount to ADM they have excellent customer service.

You may look into Brobo mounting solutions as well. I am very pleased with my ADM mounts. The last one I purchased was for a Schmidt and Bender scope. The mount fit perfectly and mounted onto the rail with no adjustment right out of the box. The only complaint I have is every mount is shipped and packaged with alot of oil/ grease on it but otherwise I am a very satisfied customer and recommend their products to others.

Best of luck

SkiDevil

I have noticed ADM has come out with a different mount than mine:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-nsaqbvqvZtg/T7jt_BEc6yI/AAAAAAAAcWc/cnKVDGvBm6w/s640/DSC_0566.JPG

They make the only mount for my application. I really hope it works better. The nut looks different on this mount, than mine, and maybe they did a "quiet fix"?

ALCOAR
05-26-12, 03:38
Nobody can tell you whether or not you should give ADM another chance when your basing your decision using a criteria that the majority of M4C views as bullshit to evaluate kit on......fit & finish. If you want to keep your rails, and rifles "cosmetically" flawless.....quite simply, don't attach shit to it....and keep it in the safe.

I've been running ADM mounts for years with a flawless record.....I QD them religiously across a stable of rifles, but yes admittedly after countless mounts/dismounts, I can see some imperfections or faint wear marks in direct sunlight with a macro lens.

If you owned a mount that truly "bent" your rail for over a year without bringing it to the knowledge of the company I'd have to wonder how pressing of a matter it really was.

Not sure how far vividly describing your "problem" using nothing but cosmetic observations will take you, but I'd suggest talking to ADM for finding a solution to any real problem.

DocHolliday01
05-26-12, 05:25
Nobody can tell you whether or not you should give ADM another chance when your basing your decision using a criteria that the majority of M4C views as bullshit to evaluate kit on......fit & finish. If you want to keep your rails, and rifles "cosmetically" flawless.....quite simply, don't attach shit to it....and keep it in the safe.

I've been running ADM mounts for years with a flawless record.....I QD them religiously across a stable of rifles, but yes admittedly after countless mounts/dismounts, I can see some imperfections or faint wear marks in direct sunlight with a macro lens.

If you owned a mount that truly "bent" your rail for over a year without bringing it to the knowledge of the company I'd have to wonder how pressing of a matter it really was.

Not sure how far vividly describing your "problem" using nothing but cosmetic observations will take you, but I'd suggest talking to ADM for finding a solution to any real problem.

I was looking at the picture wondering WTF is he talking about. Seems petty to me. I probably would not even notice something like that.

WS6
05-26-12, 05:55
doubletap

WS6
05-26-12, 05:57
The issue is not the rail deforming. I could give a rats ass.

The issue is that the mount moves when you fire the weapon. That is to say, it does not sit level on the rail because the nut cams against it because it is the highest part of the "bar", tilting it to one side, and each time you pull the trigger, it bends the rail a little more under recoil as this nut is pressed into the rail. I do not know how I can show more clearly than in my picture that it's the only thing touching the rail, or with my words.

Maybe I shouldn't be so picky and should just shoot it until it has warped the rail as much as it will and then go with it, or maybe I can take a file and grind the rail narrower so that it won't tilt the mount because it won't be there to press on the last .1" of the nut that it is pressing on now. If that is what everyone else has done, I will do so as well and be happy with it. .005" or so isn't much movement when you boil down to it, I guess.

I went ahead and ordered an ADM mount because it looks to me like they have changed their design, and I want to try it out. Worse comes to worse, I will probably take a file to the rail so that it fits properly without tilting.

wahoo95
05-26-12, 06:32
Maybe....just maybe it wasn't a design flaw so much as it was a bad mount that made it past QC. Happens to every manufacturer at some point. If you noticed the flaw why not have them fox it rather than write them off as a company then come complain on the internet about it. Complain about when they dont fix it or continue to send flawed replacements.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

WS6
05-26-12, 06:35
Maybe....just maybe it wasn't a design flaw so much as it was a bad mount that made it past QC. Happens to every manufacturer at some point. If you noticed the flaw why not have them fox it rather than write them off as a company then come complain on the internet about it. Complain about when they dont fix it or continue to send flawed replacements.

I sold the shotgun and didn't worry about it. I just have paid my current mount no mind until now, because I have had nothing to mount on it, or to mount it on, until now.

I think my title is inaccurate, as it comes across as "hating on ADM". (ETA: I changed the title to better reflect my intent and what I hope to learn in this thread).

I'm not, I just want to know if they changed the design?

I will find out myself when the new one for the optic I want arrives next week. I don't see how it could be a QC error, though, but of course it could be. Anyway, I bought the mount I want from them that will serve my needs and will see if it's G2G. If not, I will call ADM and send them both mounts and I am sure they will take care of me. Once again, not picking a fight with ADM or their fanboys, just detailing an issue I had with their product previously and asking if it was redesigned based on pictures I have seen of their current mounts.

wahoo95
05-26-12, 06:46
Why couldn't it be an error? They make good mounts and lots of people are have no complaints with them sitting flush on their rails due to the issue in your picture. I've seen the similar issues from Larue mounts and Troy sights but they were simply QC issues rather than design flaws.

On another note, I've never seen their mount for the Fastfire. Is everyone using to mount on shotguns or are folks using it for other platforms as well?

WS6
05-26-12, 06:53
Why couldn't it be an error? They make good mounts and lots of people are have no complaints with them sitting flush on their rails due to the issue in your picture. I've seen the similar issues from Larue mounts and Troy sights but they were simply QC issues rather than design flaws.

On another note, I've never seen their mount for the Fastfire. Is everyone using to mount on shotguns or are folks using it for other platforms as well?

It could be a QC error, but all the parts look "right" (nothing is mal-formed that I can tell. The only errors could be: head of the nut is "too thin" (could be fixed by placing a washer under it to provide tension without it having to be screwed so far onto the bar), but it sits flush, so I doubt that is it, or the back of the nut could be tapered too big, but then it wouldn't have any "side-wall" left for the bar to screw into iif more material were milled away. I simply do not see how it could be a QC deal--but I have a habit of being wrong from time to time.

I will reserve judgement until I get my new mount, and if I need to, will call ADM if that one has any issue.

I have nothing against ADM (I just spend $60 on another of their mounts), but it just doesn't look like a QC problem to me is all. Then again, I don't design their stuff, so I likely wouldn't know what is spec for it.

The mount and FF3 will go on my M1014 shotgun. Others use them on the H&K's, and AK-47's. Basically, any platform where you want the optic as close to "on the rail" as possible while still maintaining QD ability.

WS6
05-26-12, 07:04
I took the mount apart and took this picture to show what I am talking about. The circled part is what is sitting on the rail and causing the mount to cant, and eventually deform the rail (moving during the process) under recoil. I suppose over time it will peen and bend the small section of rail until it is level, but something in me just thinks this is odd. It may well be a QC issue and the skirt of the adjustment nut on my mount is just too long or something. The new ADM mounts appear in pictures to have a different type of adjustment nut, so I will see how my new mount does.

http://i45.tinypic.com/1679rtd.jpg

SomeOtherGuy
05-28-12, 21:30
I think the mount you are concerned about either had a defective dimension or possibly was an earlier design.

I looked at my ADM mounts - a Recon, a T1, and an AD-68 - and none of them would allow that portion of the nut to touch the rail or even come close. It is entirely on the outside of the main clamping body.

WS6
05-28-12, 22:38
I think the mount you are concerned about either had a defective dimension or possibly was an earlier design.

I looked at my ADM mounts - a Recon, a T1, and an AD-68 - and none of them would allow that portion of the nut to touch the rail or even come close. It is entirely on the outside of the main clamping body.

Great! I ordered one as stated, and it should be here tomorrow so I can see for sure. Very glad if this is the case! Not sure what to do with this mount as I forgot where I got it, don't want to sell it to some unsuspecting soul, and am not sure if it's even "fair" to ask ADM for any sort of compensation if I sent it back.

HeavyDuty
05-29-12, 08:29
I took the mount apart and took this picture to show what I am talking about. The circled part is what is sitting on the rail and causing the mount to cant, and eventually deform the rail (moving during the process) under recoil. I suppose over time it will peen and bend the small section of rail until it is level, but something in me just thinks this is odd. It may well be a QC issue and the skirt of the adjustment nut on my mount is just too long or something. The new ADM mounts appear in pictures to have a different type of adjustment nut, so I will see how my new mount does.

http://i45.tinypic.com/1679rtd.jpg

I have two ADM AD-68 mounts here, one had the solid crossbolt like posts 1 and 2 and the other came with the newer two piece crossbolt like post 4. I replaced the solid one with the newer type because I preferred the design.

I took a look at one of mine and there is no way the new design can contact the rail like yours did. You should be good to go.

WS6
05-31-12, 20:55
My adm mount arrived today. It is the newer design and works as intended. Very pleased.