PDA

View Full Version : Help for sighting in request

luckybaer
05-26-12, 06:35
I went to the range yesterday to try and sight in. I knew how to adjust the front sight post and windage to get things lined up, so I was excited to take my first 5 shots to see what adjustments were needed.

Then, I realized that I needed something to help me stabilize the rifle. I'm used to strapping myself into the sling and getting into a prone or a sitting position, but those positions were not possible given the lane set-up.

The lane had the "table" and a bench. It also had a big plastic triangular block upon which to rest the weapon, but that by itself proved only minimally helpful.

Any tips on equipment, positions, or techniques I can use to create as stable a set-up as possible for sighting in would be appreciated.

lebowski
05-26-12, 08:38
My old range had a setup like that, benches at every lane. I would just move a bench out of the way and put down a mat for prone ... Will they not let you do that? If not, why not just shoot from the bench?

Ghostmaker
05-26-12, 09:18
Like lebowski said, go prone if possible.
I have sand bags & what not, but hell, if its just me & I'm being lazy, I'll just throw my range bag up on its side or something if I have to. Its plenty stable for me.
Being right hand dominant, I like to put my Left hand back up under my stock for sighting in & precision shooting... It helps control the elevation...some people like to use a sock w/ sand in it or whatever & with their hand wrapped around it back there under the stock... squeeze the sock with your hand or release to control elevation. Or I've got to where I just use my hand by its self in general now.
Getcha some sand bags if you want, or I've even seen my brother in law use a bunch of folded up towls on top of stuff, like his backpack.
Although, I never had to do this really, If your mag is in the way, just load a round from it & drop it out for the shot. Insert to load another, rinse & repeat till your sighted.

Whatever you do, Make sure not to actually rest your barrel on anything.

Airhasz
05-26-12, 09:37
Like lebowski said, go prone if possible.
I have sand bags & what not, but hell, if its just me & I'm being lazy, I'll just throw my range bag up on its side or something if I have to. Its plenty stable for me.
Being right hand dominant, I like to put my Left hand back up under my stock for sighting in & precision shooting... It helps control the elevation...some people like to use a sock w/ sand in it or whatever & with their hand wrapped around it back there under the stock... squeeze the sock with your hand or release to control elevation. Or I've got to where I just use my hand by its self in general now.
Getcha some sand bags if you want, or I've even seen my brother in law use a bunch of folded up towls on top of stuff, like his backpack.
Although, I never had to do this really, If your mag is in the way, just load a round from it & drop it out for the shot. Insert to load another, rinse & repeat till your sighted.

Whatever you do, Make sure not to actually rest your barrel on anything.

Thanks Ghostmaker for the excellent tips. I will also try your suggestions to tighten my groups as I have room for improvement:)

Ghostmaker
05-26-12, 09:51
Thanks Ghostmaker for the excellent tips. I will also try your suggestions to tighten my groups as I have room for improvement:)

None of us should ever stop trying to improve... We should constantly be evolving.