PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 - Police Trade-In Gen 2 or New Gen 3/4?

cinco
05-26-12, 14:03
I'd like your valued opinions on a future purchase... Looking at buying a Glock 17 to go with my G26 Gen3.

However, I am aware of the current ejection issues (to the face) with the late Gen 3 and Gen 4 G17s and G19s. I'm real leary of diving into that situation - especially with a weapon I would carry (after all I might put my eye out :p). However, from research it seems even the earlier Gen 2 and 3s would exhibit that problem at times.

I've seen some G17 Gen 2s (mnfr 1995 and 1996) that are police trade ins - all pix look good. At about $120 less than a new Gen 3.

Given the unkown round count of the police trade in and the ejection issue present (at times) in the Gen 2 - what would you do?

If I go with the Gen 2 - what sort of maintenance/parts replacement would you suggest?

Seems I might get a better deal - but still have the same ejection problem AND have to replace wear parts.

Thanks for your time and advice - its much appreciated. :thank_you2:

polymorpheous
05-26-12, 14:14
Police trade in Glocks are usually a good deal.
Lots of holster wear, but that's about it.
I'd jump on one.
Replacement parts are very inexpensive.

djegators
05-26-12, 14:40
While I agree that the trade-ins can be a good deal, if you are a GSSF member, or eligible for LEO discount, you actually won't save much over a new, and often the trade-ins only come with one mag. Other than that, I have no problem with purchasing trade-ins, and would not hesitate for the right deal.

EzGoingKev
05-26-12, 16:53
The biggest thing you need to decide IMO is if you need the rail or not as that is going to dictate what generation you purchase.

J-Dub
05-26-12, 17:04
Just picked up a Gen 2 22 police trade in for 330. Came with 3 mags and glowing night sights. Has some holster wear, but over all i'm pleased.

BigRed82
05-26-12, 18:30
If you don't already have a 3rd Gen or a gun capable of mounting a light, I'd suggest a 3rd Gen. If you already have that, then it's up to your own preference.

2nd Gen vs. 3rd Gen:
No rail vs rail.
No finger grooves vs finger grooves.

Remember that the 2nd gen has a few different parts when you are buying spares. I prefer 3rd Gen because the finger grooves work for me, and I like being able to put a light on it. YMMV.